Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Played the Bayonetta 2 demo at the Nintendo Lounge. Demo was about 15 minutes long, and remains faithful to Bayonetta 1. Gamepad shoulder buttons are a bit awkward for me though. There's also a touchscreen mode I didn't try.

I had succes  in hagglign Amazon to knock $10 off a Pikmin 3 preorder. I asked them to match the price to their amazon.co.uk website and they couldn't, I then asked if they would consider a $10 promo code. He initially offered $5, when I said I could buy it for 10% off on the Nintendo Eshop he offered me $10. Was able to preorder for $48.

So didnt want to play Monster Hunter, Lego City, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country or Mario 3D world?
i have had enough of lego games at this point and wind waker was not a real fan of and dkc comes out in nov when i will be playing games like gta,ac, and next gen games.

i have had enough of lego games at this point and wind waker was not a real fan of and dkc comes out in nov when i will be playing games like gta,ac, and next gen games.
Not sure why you even keep the system then.

GTA will be 2 months old at that point. Im sure you will get bored of it by then.

Not sure why you even keep the system then.

GTA will be 2 months old at that point. Im sure you will get bored of it by then.
my kids play alot on the wii u mostly for wii games.but im sure i will get into for awhile with pikmin and getting raymen for wii u. i still play gta 4 and it's been out five years it's the best open world online game on the market and sure gta 5 will be the same. But i think im getting dkc for my kids for xmas and will get to play it couple months into 2014 once downtime for games start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy third party games on Nintendo systems when...

- I like the series in question

- The Nintendo console version isn't complete shit

Just got an e-mail from Nintendo. Buy $50-$99 in WiiU points, get a $5 eShop credit. Buy $100 or more, get a $10 eShop credit.

I buy third party games on Nintendo systems when...

- I like the series in question

- The Nintendo console version isn't complete shit
I'm hoping this is the case for Batman Arkham Origins and Watchdogs, I wouldn't mind getting those on Wii U.

I'm hoping this is the case for Batman Arkham Origins and Watchdogs, I wouldn't mind getting those on Wii U.
Sam here. For me it is Watchdogs, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World, Batman, and maybe Assassin's Creed IV & Splinter Cell. Quite a bit of 3rd party support.

Sam here. For me it is Watchdogs, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World, Batman, and maybe Assassin's Creed IV & Splinter Cell. Quite a bit of 3rd party support.
Huge Ubisoft fan I guess....

I'm a little confused, how do you know the Wii U versions won't be shit or at least better on Xbone/ps4 for games that aren't even released yet?

My stance is somewhat skewed since I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about online features, but... yeah, I've really moved on to buying most of my third-party releases on Wii U, provided a version exists and doesn't suck.

Splinter Cell is a definite, same with Rayman, Sonic, and Batman. Watch Dogs and AC are weird because I'll likely pick those up on the PS4, since that will have even less out this fall than the Wii U. Well, less that I care about, anyway. That thing is effectively going to be a Killzone machine for me initially.

I realize I'm in a minority here, but even with owning every current system out right now (including handhelds) and picking up a PS4 at launch... I'm easily buying more Wii U games this fall than other systems. No contest.

Huge Ubisoft fan I guess....

I'm a little confused, how do you know the Wii U versions won't be shit or at least better on Xbone/ps4 for games that aren't even released yet?
He doesn't know. He's hoping that they will meet the criteria laid out earlier in the conversation.

He doesn't know. He's hoping that they will meet the criteria laid out earlier in the conversation.
This. I won't buy a game that is very poor compared to the other versions. Ubisoft made a good Wii-U version of AC 3 compared to the PS3 version. Also, I'm buying Ubisoft games because they are supporting the Wii-U, unlike other companies.

reason why i buy 3rd party on say 360 is because it's what my friends haveand games that have online play no reason to get them for wii u plus the add on for games like splinter cell that uses the gamepad for extra stuff i could careless about not a big game changer for me.

I doubt there is a good version of Assassins Creed 3
i loved ac3 story was slow but a person that loves history i have loved every numbered ac game.

Well, I'll give you that. I love US history and I thought this was going to be one of the best games of the generation but I was wrong. I actually swore off the AC series for good after playing through 3, but yet I'm considering getting IV. It won't be a day 1 buy for me but probably if I get it cheap. To me AC hasn't progressed since 2.

I agree, because AC3 is inherently a bad game, therefore, no version is good.

I don't want Watch Dogs to be shit, but very little's been seen of it on Wii U, although it does look good. Arkham Origins...after City:AE, I would hope they fix the framerate issues the game has. Splinter Cell...I just hope it's good, because Conviction really was forgettable. Rayman Legends will be great though.

I would agree with you about the on foot portions, but holy hell were the sea missions AWESOME. My wife and I wished that the whole game had been just naval battles...and then Black Flag was announced. Super stoked for the new entry of a series that has always bored the living shit out of me.

I'd say as long as the graphics and gameplay are equivalent and the Game Pad is used effectively the Wii U versions of this holiday's multiplats will be the version to own. During the last generational shift the current-gen versions of games were almost always just as good or even better than the next-gen versions...I don't see that changing for this switchover. Next year the X1/PS4 versions will be miles better though.

i can see where people would hate ac3 seeing it was pretty much a open world game, but i enjoy it because of that felt like the game was allowing me to decided what to do next unlike past ac they felt like it was one mission after another.

i can see where people would hate ac3 seeing it was pretty much a open world game, but i enjoy it because of that felt like the game was allowing me to decided what to do next unlike past ac they felt like it was one mission after another.
The endless tutorials wasn't a good thing. Also, the story was a disappointment and there was potential to make it good. I'm a huge history buff and I thought this game was going to be special. I don't mind them coming out with a new AC game every year if there are new things added to the series. AC 3 did that but tripped up elsewhere. I'm going to wait to get reactions from gamers about AC IV before I consider getting it.

http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

The story mode wasn't a huge deal to me in Brawl but his reasoning behind not including it or CG cutscenes is idiotic.  Nintendo just doesn't even seem to care about PR anymore.  They could have easily spun this and said they were removing the story mode and CG cutscenes in order to focus on other areas of the game.

Does Nintendo even understand how the internet works?  Of course in a previous interview Sakurai essentially said he didn't understand how patching a game would work.  I'm sure this is old news but this is a quote he gave a French game site:

"It's hard to tell right now but of course we always try to keep the best balance.Nevertheless I do not know yet if it will be easy to patch the games once they are released.For example, if you have a person playing a patched version of the game playing against a person without the patch problems may occur. We will have to do a lot of research about this."

Despite this news Smash Bros will probably still be the reason I buy a Wii U.  Nintendo really needs some young blood in the company.

I really hope this is just Sakurai trolling. Despite its shortcomings, I loved Subspace Emissary and would have greatly anticipated a sequel.

Never actually said no single player/story.

He already said before that they were going to do something different with story mode. This just said no CS. Nothing able no story at all.

Plus take into fact its Kataku and its likely its bad information/translation.

That's... that's just stupid.  We won't do cutscenes (which were cool, imho, though not all that noteworthy) because someone uploaded them to the 'net?  Really?  I assume he's not referring to any kind of pre-release leak, but just something like a Let's Play or something like that.  WTF is wrong with Nintendo?  Who cares if someone uploaded it.  Isn't that free advertising?  "Oh, that looks pretty tight, I should get that".

As usual Nintendo is off in their own world.  Amazing games, with no understanding of their audience at all.

Given how well the story flowed in KI I have hope that perhaps there will be something along those lines, though with SSE he went out of his way to avoid character talking.

That's... that's just stupid. We won't do cutscenes (which were cool, imho, though not all that noteworthy) because someone uploaded them to the 'net? Really? I assume he's not referring to any kind of pre-release leak, but just something like a Let's Play or something like that. WTF is wrong with Nintendo? Who cares if someone uploaded it. Isn't that free advertising? "Oh, that looks pretty tight, I should get that".

As usual Nintendo is off in their own world. Amazing games, with no understanding of their audience at all.
Don't amazing games require the dev to have an understanding of their audience?

One would think. Imagine how much better Nintendo games could be if they delivered not only what they think we want but also what we actually want... :drool:

For anyone who is interested, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker dropped to 49.99 on Amazon.
Wonder if this will be retail for it? Preordered just to be safe.

Can I get people to help persuade me towards buying a Wii U? I'm tempted to buy myself the Deluxe edition next week at Best Buy as an early b-day gift for myself, but I don't want to buy it and not play it like I did the Wii.

Can I get people to help persuade me towards buying a Wii U? I'm tempted to buy myself the Deluxe edition next week at Best Buy as an early b-day gift for myself, but I don't want to buy it and not play it like I did the Wii.
If you're a big fan of first/second party Nintendo games there's going to be at least one a month from now until December:

8/4 - Pikmin 3

8/25 - Luigi U (physical)

9/3 - Rayman Legends

9/14 - The Wonderful 101

Oct. - Wind Waker HD

Oct. - Wii U Party

Oct. - Sonic World

Nov. - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Dec. - Super Mario 3D World

Plus the prices of launch titles are starting to drop finally, and it's backwards compatible. Of course, there's a chance for a price drop/insane bundle to compete with the X1+PS4. Your call.

I bought a Wii in 2008, but I didn't even use it until Skyword Sword. However, this has not been the case with the Wii U. I play it almost everyday.The console is really great if you have a family, because it does have a lot of family friendly titles. That being said the console is for hardcore gamers too.

The console has a lot of solid features. The internet browser is great, compared to other console internet browsers. The Miiverse community is fun to debate or just casually talk with other people. The off screen capability allows you to play a game on the gamepad, while someone else watches tv. Plus, it is backwards compatible with Wii games, and allows them to run in 1080p. (The Wii games don't look hd, but the look better than they did on the Wii)

If you are worried about a small library of games, just be patient. Pikmin 3 comes out on Sunday, The Wonderful 101 comes out in September, Zelda The Wind Waker and Sonic come out in October. As for third party games, Splinter Cell Blacklist comes out in August, Rayman Legends (which is going to be great, Wii u owners got a Rayman Challenge App that also included a demo of the game) in September, ACIV, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, Batman Arkham Origins are coming out later this year.

In the mean time, games like: New Super Mario Bros, ZombiU, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Resident Evil Revelations, Nintendo Land, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Monster Hunters 3, Game and Wario, and Ninja Gaiden 3 can keep you entertained. There are also lots of great virtual console titles, such as: Earthbound, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, the Kirby games, and Megaman X.

I'll +1 the browser being great. It's not quite like browsing on an actual computer but it's MILES ahead of any other console's. The killer thing is that you can jump to it without exiting the current game, allowing you to look up FAQs on the fly.

It also has the best console apps for Netflix and Hulu+.

I'll +1 the browser being great. It's not quite like browsing on an actual computer but it's MILES ahead of any other console's. The killer thing is that you can jump to it without exiting the current game, allowing you to look up FAQs on the fly.

It also has the best console apps for Netflix and Hulu+.
I dunno, I prefer Netflix on my PS3, controlling with the BD remote. The always-on gamepad screen bugs me.

Don't do it. Nintendo just announced that the Wii U sold less consoles in the last quarter than any console has sold during any quarter for the last TWO generations. They sold 160k Wii U's in the ENTIRE PLANET in the last THREE MONTHS. $100 price drop incoming!

Eh I'm not going to get any games that are going to be on the 360 or PS3, more interested in the exclusives and the tablet functionality. I like the idea of playing games on the tablet.

Seriously, fuck WB. You don't want to include a shit MP mode in Arkham Origins for the Wii U that's fine, but you should not have the gal to charge the same price for significantly less content.

Seriously, fuck WB. You don't want to include a shit MP mode in Arkham Origins for the Wii U that's fine, but you should not have the gal to charge the same price for significantly less content.
They should discount the game at least $10 or $20 even. Offering less to some for the same price is shady. Either way I wasn't picking up day 1.

A lot of great games are starting to come out. Even more will come out in 2014.

I doubt a price drop will be coming and even if it does, it will likely be no more than $50 making it what you will get right now.

My guess is that they will drop the Basic (haven't we seen evidence of this already?) and make the Deluxe $300.  So that is sort of a $50 price drop although not really at this point since NintendoLand has been on sale cheap recently.  I think $300 with a game included and a decent library (by the time the other systems launch that is) will position them somewhat decently against the PS4/One.

My 10 year-old son just discovered the Miiverse and has been messing around on that constantly for the last few days.  This is where the ability to play off-screen is a huge plus.  He can do that while the little kids watch something else.

I also started playing Tank Tank Tank with him and we are having a blast with that game.  I don't get all the hate for it.  It gets a little repetitive (what with having to clear all those medals before moving on) and you don't upgrade fast enough, but other than that it is a nice little game - definitely glad I didn't trade it in for $7 like most CAGs did when it was free at Best Buy.  Actually, the only reason I have it at all is that a CAG was nice enough to send me a copy in exchange for my coupon (so he could get another one).  The game was OOS around me the day the coupon went active.

bread's done
Back