Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I posted it in the Xbox one thread it's not that the Xbox division doesn't make money, they just don't make enough for certain people inside Microsoft, here's a pretty recent article pretty much stating that: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-29/xbox-spinoff-seen-more-likelt-with-ballmer-exit-real-m-a.html

While a consumer success with $7 billion in annual sales, it’s one of Microsoft’s lower-margin divisions and doesn’t drive sales of the company’s core business services and software.

Not really.  It's just using it as a Screen + Sensor Bar.  In order to add true off-tv play, you'd have to update every single Wii game through an emulator.  

But considering Nintendo's updates for Wii U have been part 1 now and part 2 later, we'll see if something gets added for Classic Controller and Sideways Wii Remote play for games.  Motion Plus games and Nunchuck games are SOL I imagine.

Also, Virtual Console games in Wii Mode no longer stretch to 16:9

Oh, and something about Unified Accounts, but no one knows for sure what it means since id.nintendo.net is not available yet.

Hell, even with the Wiimote necessity, that's a pretty slick update. If I can put my charge cradle and Gamepad up on the arm of the couch and play Xenoblade while the lady is watching TV, I'm stoked.

Finished Pikmin 3 tonight - awesome game all around.  Now I want to go back and get the secret files and see what that is all about.  Plus I started the Missions and those look pretty fun too.

Sorry for the double post, but the Nintendo Direct just ended.  Highlights:

Holy shit does Super Mario 3D World look awesome.  DOUBLE CHERRY POWER

DKC: Tropical Freeze has been bumped to February 2014, supposedly for polish reasons.  My guess is that they wanted to avoid cannibalizing SM3DW's sales and to have an AAA title for first quarter to prevent another drought.

Sonic has been confirmed for Smash, but that was pretty much a given.

A bunch of new minigames for Wii Party U were shown, including several that use the Game Pad's Wiimote sensing introduced in last night's system update.

Pikmin 3 is getting a title update today, allowing the scoreboard to show the overall top world scores.  Also, they're introducing paid DLC in the form of extra Missions.  One is free with the TU, the other two?three? will be $1.99.  Neither the TU nor the DLC are up for me yet but should be up today.

They showed off some third party and 3DS stuff but I didn't really care so we zoned out.  A Link Between Worlds looks cool though, and there's a new 3DS Kirby platformer for next year.

Kirby, Zelda, and Bravely Default were heavy hitters for me. I'm fucking stoked for Kirby.

And yes, Mario 3D World looks nuts. Next few months are gonna be busy. I'm actually kinda glad DKC got delayed; gives me a better chance of keeping up.

Super Mario 3D World looks like it will be a blast. I never doubted Nintendo with it, I just wished that it was something a little more open world. I'm fine with DKC being pushed back to polish it. No surprise for Sonic in Smash.

As for the 3DS- Boo-yah!

The North American release date for those controllers is November 1. They will be available as standalone controllers. No word on nunchuks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man I so had no interest in Super Mario 3D World. Then I saw the cherry powerups. I just might be in.

I guess I should give the 3d World videoes a look.  I've pretty much avoided the non RPG mario games since Galaxy 2, which I really strongly disliked.

Super Mario 3D World looks really fun.

The new trailer emphasizes the single player and it's looking Mario Galaxy-esk. Love the upbeat music selection for the trailer.  And that overworld map looks sweet. 

The Link Between Worlds news is surprising.  I'm skeptical that these changes may impact the special feeling/tradition of finding hidden weapon chests throughout dungeons. Knowing Nintendo they will do it right, but it does change the Zelda formula quite a bit.  I can see them implementing this new system in the Wii U Zelda as they were hinting towards a less-linear, open world experience.  

The North American release date for those controllers is November 1. They will be available as standalone controllers. No word on nunchuks.
Maybe they'll be Club Nintendo exclusive, kind of like the gold nunchucks? That would finally give me something to spend my 2000 coins on.

Off tv wii support, sounds great!

-no gamepad support-

mj-laughing.gif

Mario 3D World looks more fun than any Mario platformer in the last 5 years.

The new Green Hill stage in Smash Bros. looks great. Was the airplane stage revealed before?

Super Mario 3D World looks like it will be a blast. I never doubted Nintendo with it, I just wished that it was something a little more open world.
Yeah, I felt the same way - definitely wanted a Mario 64/SMS type open-world game. I played this at PAX and the cat suits are pretty awesome. Still, I kind of feel this is more of the same type of game as NSMB - really just the same thing but with 3D models and a slight ability to go back and forth in the level instead of just side to side (though it still has the basic feel of a 2D Mario game).

Regardless, I'll still probably go ahead and preorder this. It is kind of perverse logic, but knowing that Nintendo games don't drop like rocks (unlike, say, Ubisoft games) I feel better about preordering and paying full price even if I won't play it right away.

Yeah, I felt the same way - definitely wanted a Mario 64/SMS type open-world game. I played this at PAX and the cat suits are pretty awesome. Still, I kind of feel this is more of the same type of game as NSMB - really just the same thing but with 3D models and a slight ability to go back and forth in the level instead of just side to side (though it still has the basic feel of a 2D Mario game).

Regardless, I'll still probably go ahead and preorder this. It is kind of perverse logic, but knowing that Nintendo games don't drop like rocks (unlike, say, Ubisoft games) I feel better about preordering and paying full price even if I won't play it right away.
I feel about the same about the game, but I guess I've come to terms that this isn't going to be a true 3D mario game (ala Mario 64, Sunshine).

I'm glad it at least looks creative and different enough from 3D Land to justify the console experience.

When I look back at the Galaxy games, they were more similar to 3D Land/3D World than Mario 64 or Sunshine (separate levels instead of a true open hub world to explore). I really enjoyed the Galaxy games and going from the latest trailer, 3D World looks to be extremely fun and creative.

OK, weird problem... Me and my son have been playing Pikmin 3 on and off for a few weeks.  Just last night we completed the main story (and got all the fruit).  Then we started messing around with the Missions.  So tonight we go to do that again and after the system update and profile update we're ready to go.  But it tells us the game disc (which has been in the Wii U for weeks) is dirty.  I had this happen once or twice before and ejecting it and putting it back in worked.  Not this time.  I tried about 10 times and it kept telling me it was dirty.  One time it just said "There was an error - please turn off the Wii U system" (or something to that effect) and I had to turn it off and back on.

I tried several other games and they all work fine, including ones that actually have a smudge or two on them.  My Pikmin 3 disc has only been out of the system once or twice and is spotless.

Like I said I'm pretty sure it gave me that error before but never gave me this much trouble.  The only difference was that I have updated the system.

So now I have to follow along with what the screen told me and contact Nintendo support.  Hopefully they will replace it.  I bought it from Amazon at launch so it is probably too late to return it there.

It's that whole ludicrous cycle Nintendo has been going through for awhile now, even with the Wii-3rd parties say their games sell poorly, but they release shit or don't promote it. Nintendo systems have pretty much been systems you buy Nintendo games on and not much else since the N64 days. Even the DS didn't see a ton of 3rd party support and neither does the 3DS now even though it's so huge in Japan it's outpacing the Wii there and it's the top selling console here. I think at this rate the only way Nintendo would get back in serious competition for home consoles is if somebody else bowed out. There are outside factors at both MS and Sony that are pushing for that, but it's a small chance of happening at best.
Nintendo's problem isn't that they aren't selling enough units. 3rd party support has sucked on their consoles all the way back to N64. Even with the Wii, DS, and now 3DS selling like crazy those systems all had shit for 3rd party support. I think it has less to do with amount of sales and more to do with Nintendo not willing to shell out ridiculous money and resources to bend over to 3rd parties.

Exclusive DLC, advertising agreements, licensing cost deals, input on the system's architecture/features etc. are all things Sony and Microsoft are doing that I have a strong feeling Nintendo just doesn't do. They have a specific direction for their consoles that they don't want 3rd parties to dictate.

I dunno if that's good or bad but I like that Nintendo doesn't let 3rd parties dictate their business be size it at least allows them to distinguish themselves from the competition. Realistically, how different is the 360 than the PS3? And now that difference is even less drastic in the next gen with X1 and PS4. It's like French vanilla ice cream vs. regular vanilla ice cream.

What 3rd party games was the DS missing?  If you're talking Western-developed portable titles, they just don't exist anymore outside mobile - hardly Nintendo's fault.

Two Tribes (Toki Tori 2/+) will be releasing the rest of their games on the Wii U eShop over the next few months for $1.99 each at launch:

[customspoiler='Click for big image']
twotribes_wiiu_classics_factsheet.png
[/customspoiler]

OK, weird problem... Me and my son have been playing Pikmin 3 on and off for a few weeks. Just last night we completed the main story (and got all the fruit). Then we started messing around with the Missions. So tonight we go to do that again and after the system update and profile update we're ready to go. But it tells us the game disc (which has been in the Wii U for weeks) is dirty. I had this happen once or twice before and ejecting it and putting it back in worked. Not this time. I tried about 10 times and it kept telling me it was dirty. One time it just said "There was an error - please turn off the Wii U system" (or something to that effect) and I had to turn it off and back on.

I tried several other games and they all work fine, including ones that actually have a smudge or two on them. My Pikmin 3 disc has only been out of the system once or twice and is spotless.

Like I said I'm pretty sure it gave me that error before but never gave me this much trouble. The only difference was that I have updated the system.

So now I have to follow along with what the screen told me and contact Nintendo support. Hopefully they will replace it. I bought it from Amazon at launch so it is probably too late to return it there.
Nintendo has a program where you send them your disk and some cash (I forget how much) and they send you a replacement. It might also be your optical drive failing. You should have a year warranty but you bought it almost a year ago so hopefully if that's the problem it "finishes" failing soon.

What 3rd party games was the DS missing? If you're talking Western-developed portable titles, they just don't exist anymore outside mobile - hardly Nintendo's fault.
I'm not saying they were missing 3rd party ports on DS, Wii, etc but rather they're missing 3rd party support in general. It's just not there for Nintendo.

Blaster man said:
Nintendo has a program where you send them your disk and some cash (I forget how much) and they send you a replacement. It might also be your optical drive failing. You should have a year warranty but you bought it almost a year ago so hopefully if that's the problem it "finishes" failing soon.
I haven't heard back yet. I'm not paying any cash to get a pristine disc replaced. If they ask for it I'll go ahead and try a replacement via Amazon.

Yea, Capcom and Sega were really the only major 3rd Party companies to support the Wii and 3/DS. And even that was limited.

I don't know what everyone is talking about but the DS had plenty of games, probably a lot more than I can play in a lifetime. If you have played out the DS library then you probably have too much time on your hands and this is a video game site so yes I know what I am saying. I am just saying that there are that many games that you couldn't possibly play them all, all the way through per game and finish them all even if you eliminated the obvious shovelware. Doesn't help that a ton of those games are super long RPG's. 3DS is almost at the enough games for me point, just need pokemon which comes out in a few days and the system is a no brainer, far from regretted purchase for me.

Wii U is ok but it's lacking in quality RPG's and no pokemon games in sight and I am not sure if those will ever come especially when Pokemon & Pokemon Bank are coming out, so this literally means I will have everything I need gaming wise for a long time with just the 3DS. 3rd party support is nonexistent on this console. Don't get me wrong as soon as there are rumblings of a decent Pokemon game I will be buying one ASAP. So far for me the fact that the 3DS has a ton of good games and Pokemon is cannibalizing the Wii U purchase for me. AKA since the 3Ds has so much content for me I feel no need to buy a Wii U since I have more than enough to play.

Beat Scribblenauts Unmasked, I could've done more but it was starting to feel stretched out. Could've used more locations. I'd still give it a very solid 7.5, maybe bump it up to an 8.5 if you are a big enough DC fan as it's fun interacting with them. No Static Shock though, RACISTS! (not really but that's an odd omission given all the more obscure guys they have).

Actually I think you get a year and 3 months if you registered your console with Club Nintendo. Here's someone else.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29327115/wii-u-fail-cant-read-perfect-disk
And another:
http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/1k06z6/frustrating_error_with_pikmin_3/
Well, yeah, all Nintendo systems have been like that since the Wii. But I realty think it is just the game and not the system. By the way, it's been 2 full days and not a peep from Nintendo support.

Beat Scribblenauts Unmasked, I could've done more but it was starting to feel stretched out. Could've used more locations. I'd still give it a very solid 7.5, maybe bump it up to an 8.5 if you are a big enough DC fan as it's fun interacting with them. No Static Shock though, RACISTS! (not really but that's an odd omission given all the more obscure guys they have).
Weird, Static is too popular to be overlooked, so are there any Milestones characters in the game? I wonder if it was a licensing issue or a decision to not include Vertigo, Milestone, Wildstorm characters at this time...

Now that you can play Wii games on the gamepad... can you play in 4:3? Or is everything stretched to fill the screen?

The reason the Gamepad is allowed to be used as a screen is because when the system is always on, so is the Gamepad.  It probably wasn't THAT hard to implement for them since it was probably just right there.  Adding control support for CC and Wiimote sideways games...that would be going the extra mile.

I'm fully on-board the SM3DW hype train now after the trailer and the new information that came out over the last few days, including Kitty Goombas, Kitty Bullet Bills, Bullet Bill Train, Bowser Carnival AND
Comet Observatory from Galaxy 1
.  The SMB2 USA inspiration helps as well.

I wonder if there will be any deals on the Wii U around Black Friday i.e. purchase a Wii U and get a $50 gift card type deal? I've decided to purchase one after I stop traveling for work at the end of October. The games are finally in a place where I can pick up some good ones at a decent price.

How do you know that? A gift card seems pretty reasonable for Black Friday.
I would hope that something like this might go down. I can wait 3-4 weeks to pick up a Wii U if it means a better deal. I have other games to catch up on so it's not the biggest rush but something I'd like to pick up this holiday season.

FriskyTanuki said:
#Sarcasm

I would be shocked if Nintendo doesn't push some deals out there so that they can take advantage of the opportunity.
You had me there for a moment. I mean, BF deals are usually starting to be revealed around now and I haven't been paying that much attention. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't ;).

But yeah, a $50 gift card deal just totally makes sense. I don't see an actual price drop (even a temporary one on BF) since they just dropped it. But a gift card or another retail game thrown in - sure.

bread's done
Back