Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I read it too quickly the first time. So basically they're going to have another tablet controller in Wii U 2...?
As above, it's just a rumor at this point so who knows. But the idea of the rumor, best I can tell, would be to have them work together. Not sure if the console would come with a tablet controller also, or having both the portable and the console would just allow for a second screen in some games (ala Smartglass etc.).

The latter makes more sense to me as they can keep cost of the console down and sell more hopefully. Though to me it really only makes sense if the games work cross platform as they're biggest need out of things they can control (i.e. not third part support that's mostly out of their hands) is getting all their development teams making games for a single platform so there's enough software to get more people to buy their hardware even lacking 3rd party games.

If they had a console that had all the games out and announced that 3DS and Wii U have, I'd probably just buy that console and live without the Sony/MS first party stuff as that would be more than enough to keep me busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if it's really just a Wii U 1.1. Renaming the Wii U console itself to a "terminal," and remake the gamepad to be like a 2DS that you can buy separately. Sell the "gamepad" separately, by using the greater momentum of the 3DS. Then you can buy the "terminal" at a much reduced price to play Wii U "terminal" games. Or not. And then there'd be a bundled version at $300ish.

If the rumors were true, that would be what I'd think might happen.

I think that would just create even more brand confusion than the already suffer from with the Wii U.

They just need to ride it out and do something different in a couple years when they launch the Wii U and 3DS successor(s).

3DS/Wii U compatibility can happen either by a new piece of software or an accessory. If the Fusion is real (and I doubt it is, at least in this near-finished state), that cannot be the main selling point.

[quote name="Psydrogen" post="11465435" timestamp="1390431013"]Interesting article on why Nintendo should not sell out to releasing games on other mobile devices...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2014/01/nintendo-mobile[/quote].

The problem with releasing the old games in large quantities is that it would cannibalize sales of the new games. Why would I buy Pokemon X for $40 when I could just buy the original blue on the e-shop for $5. I could have equal fun with each, but one costs a lot less. Hypothetical situation of course obviously...

Especially with DS games, if they were offered at cheaper prices. DS and 3DS games are so similar that offering their whole back catalog of DS games would surely cannibalize sales of new software especially if the DS games were significantly cheaper.

If this is the case then Nintendo might as well just keep re-releasing their old games, hoping to cash in on new generations of players and those that want nostalgia rather than make actual new games with new franchises and content....

I don't think they want to put a lot of resources into making $3-10 games with their own IP's...

I'm pretty sure Nintendo still has more cash reserves than Sony....

The Wii and DS were two of the best selling consoles of all time, and the 3DS has done well after a bad start.  The Wii U failure hasn't erased all that cash by any means.

Where as Sony lost a lot of money with the PS3, winning the HD format war with Bluray, and their consumer electronics division hasn't been doing so hot lately.

I'd love to see them partner up together, but don't see that happening ever.  But it's even less likely Sony would be able to buy Nintendo.  It would take a couple more major hardware flops for that to happen,

Pikmin 3!!!!!!  God I hate Nintendo.  I played a lot of games in the past year and if I had to pick my top 5 it would probably look like this:

- A Link Between Worlds

- Pikmin 3

- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

- Borderlands 2

- Super Mario 3D World

Ok, partner with. Nintendo is looking at doing something different, and that would certainly be it. :) The reason I say Sony is just because Sony has both consoles and portables, which is what Nintendo makes games for. I'd think the Vita would suddenly make a huge turn around if they had Pokemon, for one. I suppose I'm not sure how Nintendo benefits, though. Never claimed I was a business major. Ha ha! :)

What if they rebranded the Wii U as the Wii 2?

Same machine, just different brand. It may open some doors for them.
wee-bey-gif.gif

Nintendo has over 10 B in actual money. I dont think sony has that much.
Looks like Sony swung to profit. I haven't been following them all that carefully but they're up to 18 billion cash.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SNE

Balance Sheet

Total Cash (mrq): 18.76B

Total Cash Per Share (mrq): 18.08

haha...looksl ike "After Earth" hurt their bottom line during the summer quarter. Man that movie sucked.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-swings-quarterly-profit-film-597357

Well, I guess they do have that much, but I doubt they would spend more then half their money to buy Nintendo.
You're right, they wouldn't. If Nintendo continues to take losses for a few more years they might become a takeover target but there's no way Sony does it now.

I'm joking but I do want to sell my stock for a lot more than I bought it for.
Well if you see the Icahn Group (Carl Icahn) acquire lots of Nintendo shares you'll know something is up. Either way I'm with you on this one. Last week was a good time to acquire Nintendo stock.

Well if you see the Icahn Group (Carl Icahn) acquire lots of Nintendo shares you'll know something is up.
Well, he bought $AAPL and that sure helped me a bit. I doubt he'll buy Nintendo shares and I doubt Apple will buy them. Apple seems to prefer to create their own products and compete rather than buy someone. Creating their iTunes streaming Music service is a good example of that. IMO they should have just purchased Pandora and used that as the starting point for their app. If they want to own a video game studio, they'll probably create their own (unfortunately).

Well, he bought $AAPL and that sure helped me a bit. I doubt he'll buy Nintendo shares and I doubt Apple will buy them. Apple seems to prefer to create their own products and compete rather than buy someone. Creating their iTunes streaming Music service is a good example of that. IMO they should have just purchased Pandora and used that as the starting point for their app. If they want to own a video game studio, they'll probably create their own (unfortunately).
He bought Take-Two a while back thinking that either Activision or EA was going to buy them out. Never happened.I think Nintendo is/will be weary of corporate raiders. Plus I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to acquire a controlling share in them. Especially for someone like Icahn. I think AAPL was a safe bet for him as it is for everyone else. I hope AAPL enters the TV market. I'm interested to see how they monopolize our living rooms.

So what's the verdict on Sonic Lost World? I can get a copy of it for $30 off of ebay still and I am wondering is it worth the $30?

Everything I see of the game makes me want it because I loved the shit out of Galaxy. I don't care that Sonic isn't super fast like in previous games.

So what's the verdict on Sonic Lost World? I can get a copy of it for $30 off of ebay still and I am wondering is it worth the $30?

Everything I see of the game makes me want it because I loved the shit out of Galaxy. I don't care that Sonic isn't super fast like in previous games.
If it any consolation you can pickup a copy from AWD for ~$25 or so most days. So unless you plan to play it right away I would hold off.

Someone recommend me a game!  I've got

- New Super Mario Bros. U

- Super Luigi U

- Zelda WW

- Pikmin 3 (my favorite)

- Super Mario 3D World

- Nintendo Land

I'm looking for something kid-friendly so no ZombieU or RE: Revelations.  Rayman looks great although we have the other one for the 360 so it wouldn't seem totally new.  I don't know - maybe we will just wait for the DK game coming soon.

Someone recommend me a game! I've got

- Super Luigi U

- Zelda WW

- Pikmin 3 (my favorite)

- Super Mario 3D World

- Nintendo Land

I'm looking for something kid-friendly so no ZombieU or RE: Revelations. Rayman looks great although we have the other one for the 360 so it wouldn't seem totally new. I don't know - maybe we will just wait for the DK game coming soon.
Seems like Wonderful 101 would be a good option. Its seeing a price reduction to ~$30.

- Super Luigi U

- Zelda WW

- Pikmin 3 (my favorite)

- Super Mario 3D World

- Nintendo Land

I'm looking for something kid-friendly so no ZombieU or RE: Revelations. Rayman looks great although we have the other one for the 360 so it wouldn't seem totally new. I don't know - maybe we will just wait for the DK game coming soon.
Lego City Undercover! The best lego game ever!

- Super Luigi U

- Zelda WW

- Pikmin 3 (my favorite)

- Super Mario 3D World

- Nintendo Land

WONDERFUL 101 (Lego City is pretty good too though)

Not like this is the first game to do something like that. Injustice just shows a generic background on the screen not being used.

Then again, if a game has Off-TV play, I will almost exclusively use that option. My Wii U would be a dust magnet otherwise.

bread's done
Back