Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Apparently the Wii U is no longer being sold at a loss.
Huh? You read that in the financial statement?

Edit:
I don't see that in the report. I did find this though.

Regarding “Wii U,” which still faces a challenging sales situation, Nintendo will focus on efforts that seek to
stimulate the platform. By providing software that takes advantage of the “Wii U GamePad,” utilizing its
built-in functionality as an NFC reader/writer, and adding “Nintendo DS” Virtual Console titles to the “Wii
U” software lineup, Nintendo will seek to enrich the value of the “Wii U GamePad,” the most important
differentiator of “Wii U,” and as a result expand the sales of the “Wii U” platform. In terms of compatible
software, by positioning “Mario Kart 8,” scheduled to be released globally in May, and “Super Smash Bros.
for Wii U,” scheduled to be released this winter, as two main drivers, both of which are titles that a wide range
of consumers can enjoy either alone or with other players, Nintendo will seek to supply high quality games on
a continuous basis. Moreover, Nintendo will also strive to proactively pursue its digital distribution business
through the “Nintendo eShop.”

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news today, the sky WILL still be blue tomorrow and the grass WILL still be green tomorrow.  Yay predictions.

Random WiiU note - I actually use my gamepad as my tv remote the most.  That's probably the most used feature for me.  

^ I wouldn't mind a budget version of the N64.

Budget Ideas/I want a $20 N64 clone with HDMI
upscale games to 480p somehow without increasing cost:

Two controller ports removed in favor of four player adapter, expansion port removed, and s-video support removed.

Reset button removed in favor a soft reset via button pressing on controller/player 1. Expansion pack built in.

Half controllers: One where it is just the control pad and face buttons. Another with just the controller stick and the face buttons. A limited version where its just the control pad and the control stick.

Rumble pack support on these controllers removed. Remove memory card support on the controllers and put it on the system as an SD card. Not sure if anyone will want the microphone.

Power brick not built-in. More silmilar to Gamecube's original power supply.

Budget Gamecube clone idea:

Remove expansion ports. Remove memory card slots for one SD card slot. Two controller ports and use an adapter for four players. Have HDMI up to 480p. Remove the handle, maybe have slot a loading disc. Reset button removed in favor a soft reset via button pressing on controller/player 1. Power brick to keep the system small.

TBH there are very few good Wiiware exclusives (at least 100%), but here are the ones I would recommend that are mostly exclusive:

LostWinds 1 and 2 (they recently fixed the issue in the past where you couldn't port it over to Wii U)

Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth (also remakes of Contra and Gradius too, these are 100% exclusive)

Bubble Bobble Plus! (Technically exclusive, though they came out with a similar Neo version on 360 later on)

Fluidity (Was available as a free CN reward twice now, but if you haven't played it, do so, its probably the best 100% exclusive Wiiware game)

Moto Heroz (expensive, but the closest thing to Trials on the Wii)

La Mulana (its out on the PC as well though, still worth it for 1000 points and mostly exclusive)

Jett Rocket (probably the only really good exclusive 3D platformer on there)

This is in addition to the mainstays that aren't exclusive but still worth it (Megaman 9 and 10, escapeVektor, Swords and Soldiers, And Yet It Moves, etc.), as well as tons of puzzle games (too many to mention here). I'd mention the Bit.Trip series, but its a much better idea to get the dirt cheap Bit.Trip Complete compliation by now.

I would also recommend getting certain VC titles like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Monster World IV if you haven't already.
Oh cool, I've been wanting to know what some good Wiiware exclusives were.

I'm curious what this will be like. It might sell in the U.S. if it is cheap enough, but better than a stripped down model of the Wii.

That is only in emerging markets where they are not currently, such as China. Nothing new in the US or other markets. The conference yesterday in Japan, Iwata stated they are not abandoning the current base of Wii U owners, that they are turning a profit on their Wii U and that they announced some NFC setup and characters similar to Skylanders. So your hopes of another new system for now are blowing in the wind. 2017 is the earliest we will see a new system. And it will not be a dedicated console. Those days are numbered. It will be related to the QOL company they just invested 100 million into, the interchangable controller patent, and the rumor of "Fusion". That is what it will be. They simply are going into the QOL business, not just gaming. The other two are doing the same. They are all vying for your entertainment dollar.

Not just that, they have stated there will be many games at E3. Hopefully that will be true. I am perfectly happy with my Wii U at this point. Even though I know software is few and far between. But I have enough gaming into it to keep me super busy for awhile.

Oh, and for links to what I just discussed

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-no-more-wii-u-loss/

http://playeressence.com/nintendo-will-bring-software-only-possible-on-wii-u-to-e3-2014/

*WARNING* This is a pure rumor so take what is written with a grain of salt

Wii U

New Zelda game – As they said, Nintendo will finally show us brand new Wii U Zelda. They gonna show us CGI trailer, and also a few minutes of gameplay. It will be true open world Zelda (Elder Scrolls style). It will have two regions, one dark and edgy. Second more colorful, just like Skyward Sword. Game will be playable at E3. Release date: 2015

Smash Bros Wii U/3DS – They will reveal release dates for both versions (SB Wii U in November). Show more gameplay, and presents all fighters and stages. They will also talk about Smash DLC and NFC Figures.

Monolith Soft X (Xenoworld) – Open world jrpg with story mode and cooperation similar to Monster Hunter Games. You can play it alone with AI companions. Release date winter 2014 in Japan and march 2015 in the west.

Bayonetta 2 – Trailer and release date (fall 2014)

FExSMT/Yarn Yoshi – first trailers and release dates (first half of 2015)

Hyrule Warriors – first trailer, release date is October 2014. Hyrule Warriors is final title.

Fatal Frame/Project Zero – first CGI trailer, “coming soon”

Retro Studios Game – New IP, sci-fi action adventure game, first CGI trailer, “coming soon”

New Miyamoto game – Lots of Gamepad and NFC gimmicks.

Mario Party U – Nintendo’s holiday game for casual gamers, classic Mario Party, but with NFC figurines.

Pokken – first trailer, Pokemon fighting game from Namco, 2015

NINTENDO 3DS

Smash Bros – more details about 3DS version

Pokemon Omega Ruby/Apha Saphire – trailer, details about game

Tomodachi Life – trailer, details

Yokai Watch/Dragon Quest VII – west release announcement, trailers, details and release dates (autumn-winter 2014)

Metroid 3DS – developed by Next Level Games, classic 2.5D Metroid, trailer, release date: December 2014

BIG FINAL SURPRISE

Star Fox – reboot of the series, developed by Platinum Games. First trailer, CGI and gameplay. Game is mix of Star Fox Adventures and classic Star Fox games. Release date: 2015

SOURCE: http://gameotakublog.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/leaked-nintendo-digital-event-2014/

Found a new link. The part that makes me say fake is the, Tomodachi Life - trailer, details, since the game comes out on June 6th and the E3 presentation is June 10th.

If Zelda does become a Skyrim open world type of game, I will happily get lost in that world.

Zelda being open world would be tough to miss, but I knew that would be the one game I'd really miss when I sold my Wii U a couple months ago. The rest doesn't interest me at all.

On 3DS it's just Metroid. If that really gets announced I'll keep my XL. If it doesn't, it's gone as there's nothing else out, announced, or lists that I want to play.

Yeah, out of that list Retro's new IP and maybe Yarn Yoshi sound interesting.  

I just got a 3DS a couple months ago so a Metroid would be pretty sweet.

Pokken, if real, sounds like it'll be similar to Tekken. Considering they'd both be by Namco, I could see that. If it's like Pokemon x Tekken, then I don't even know what to say.

Pokken, if real, sounds like it'll be similar to Tekken. Considering they'd both be by Namco, I could see that. If it's like Pokemon x Tekken, then I don't even know what to say.
The term "Pokken" has been trademarked, so it is real, sorta.

BTW, in case you haven't already heard, Mario Kart 64 and Super Metroid are this month's Club Nintendo rewards.

Zelda being open world would be tough to miss, but I knew that would be the one game I'd really miss when I sold my Wii U a couple months ago. The rest doesn't interest me at all.
Funny and here I am thinking that list is way too good to be true as it would mean I wouldn't need a PS4/X1 any more ;).

The Monolith Soft X (Xenoworld) game alone could justify my Wii U purchase all by itself. I hope they hit that one out of the park.

Funny and here I am thinking that list is way too good to be true as it would mean I wouldn't need a PS4/X1 any more ;).The Monolith Soft X (Xenoworld) game alone could justify my Wii U purchase all by itself. I hope they hit that one out of the park.
I can see it now, pay real cash for upgrades! It's the FTP model. Just think, for ONLY $4.99, you can pay real cash for a piece of plastic in the shape of a sword!

Jokes aside, that sounds like something EA would actually do.

WTH are you talking about!?
I edited my post, it was a joke because of the new NFC stuff they're doing.

I know you and a lot of other people love Skylanders/Infinity game/toys but I think those things are a huge rip off. I've never had a problem with day 1 DLC on disc but those games take it to a whole new level and if they force this sort of thing into virtually every game, that's going to be a huge disappointment.

Ah, the NFC stuff. Well, I am slightly interested in what they have planned for that with respect to Mario Party, etc. I figure it could be at least as interesting as Skylanders and such which my kids are really into. But that isn't high on my list personally.

The X game is #1 of course, followed probably by FExSMT, then Zelda, the Retro Studios Game, and Starfox. In addition to Mario Kart and Smash Bros, that is all more than enough out of the Wii U through 2015. Throw in a few potential surprises: the Miyamoto and Mario Party NFC games, maybe Kirby, other unannounced and 3rd party stuff (hey, it could happen), and it seems like a pretty good lineup to me. All of that is certainly more appealing than what I see coming out for the PS4/X1 over the same time frame. But, like I said, it is probably too good to be true. I just thought it was funny that a "dream come true/too good to be true" list of upcoming games was utterly dismissed by dmaul ;).

Ah, the NFC stuff. Well, I am slightly interested in what they have planned for that with respect to Mario, etc. I figure it could be at least as interesting as Skylanders and such which my kids are really into. But that isn't high on my list personally.

The X game is #1 of course, followed probably by FExSMT, then Zelda, the Retro Studios Game, and Starfox. In addition to Mario Kart and Smash Bros, that is all more than enough out of the Wii U through 2015. Throw in a few potential surprises: the Mario NFC, maybe Kirby, other unannounced and 3rd party stuff (hey, it could happen ;)), and it seems like a pretty good lineup to me. All of that is certainly more appealing than what I see coming out for the PS4/X1 over the same time frame.
X is my #1 also. It's way above Zelda or any other Nintendo game. I wonder if playing through Xenoblade Chronicles first is a must for X? I did have that game but sold it because I didn't like the SD graphics on my big TV. I've been thinking about giving it another shot but it's still like 50 bucks used which seems pretty stupid.

If they use the figures to unlock DLC in the same way that you can do by simply paying for it in the e-shop then fine. It's a good way to let kids unlock DLC content without having an account. If it's actually something like, Mario Kart 8 has 40 tracks and 32 are available with purchase and 8 must be unlocked by buying 8 individual little figures and there is no way to unlock the tracks by giving Nintendo a dollar per track or something on the eshop then that would be some real bullshit.

I don't have a PS4 or X1 yet. I was planning on getting a pS4 during Christmas but changed my mind. Now I'm planning on getting one (in a bundle) this coming holiday but I'm starting to have second thoughts because I don't see enough compelling games yet. Something like Dragon Age 3 would be really nice looking on it but considering they're making last gen versions it's really not a great reason to upgrade. Other than Infamous and a few PSN games exclusive to PS4 there is nothing I'm remotely interested in. As for the X1, they have exactly 0 games out that I have any interest in playing.

I know you and a lot of other people love Skylanders/Infinity game/toys but I think those things are a huge rip off. I've never had a problem with day 1 DLC on disc but those games take it to a whole new level and if they force this sort of thing into virtually every game, that's going to be a huge disappointment.
I don't see how they're a huge rip off. First of all, you can complete the game(Story mode) with the included figures (at least you can for Skylanders, not sure about D-Infinity. Second, you actually get a physical item that kids can play with.

And this isn't forced, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.

I don't see how they're a huge rip off. First of all, you can complete the game(Story mode) with the included figures (at least you can for Skylanders, not sure about D-Infinity. Second, you actually get a physical item that kids can play with.

And this isn't forced, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.
Who said it was "forced"? It's a video game, how could it possibly be "forced"? They can't "force" me to buy anything. Simply because I'm not enslaved to Nintendo doesn't mean I can't dislike something.

Oh wait, you were stating the obvious in an attempt to say that if you don't like something you need to STFU and just not buy it. You are never allowed to say you dislike things!

I wouldn't go that far - I think he's saying you can play (and complete) the games without buying any extra figures. It works the same for Skylanders and DI. Yes, for DI you do need the "story packs" to unlock those stories - so in a sense those are "forced" if you want the optional stories. And yes, they are indeed "DLC on the disc" so to speak, so I can see how people are annoyed by that.

What is burning me out on Skylanders is that they are now coming out with the 4th one in 4 years. I've cut back on buying stuff but I did pick up Swap Force when it was on sale since it was a game I could get for my PS4. Funny thing though - last time me and the kids tried to play it, it kept freezing up on me. I have had lots of problems with disc-based games on my PS4. Most of it is related to installs. Knack kept telling me it is at "0%" installed when I started it up even though I had installed it before. Then it sits there and does nothing. I have to delete the 12GB or so install and redo it every time. And now with Skylanders it won't even get past the loading screen - crashes every time. And yet we played it tons before. The disc looks fine and has not been handled (just sitting in the machine mostly). On the other hand, NBA 2K14 works just fine. And those are all the disc-based games I have for PS4... This is all sort of an aside, but I'm not impressed with the experience I'm getting on the PS4 with regards to all that.

The X1, meanwhile, has lots of problems with controllers going in and out of sync constantly. We change often have to change batteries several times until it finds ones it "likes". It just doesn't seem to work with some even when they have just been fully charged (and work fine on 360 controllers). We have 2 controllers so it isn't just a faulty controller (unless I got 2 bad ones and that points to bad quality control on that side).

The Wii U is solid hardware-wise, though I did have that flaky Pikmin 3 disc I had to return to Nintendo to get a replacement. Funny thing is I never tested the replacement - I just traded it in to GS during their 50% promo since I can get the digital version from registering Mario Kart.

So, yeah, I've had some problem or another with all 3 "next gen" systems while having almost none with the previous (except of course for the obligatory RROD on my original Xbox 360 Elite).

Anyway, back to the games with figures thing. I will probably sit out Disney Infinity Marvel or whatever it is because I am simply not interested in that stuff. I know it makes some people on this site all excited, but for me the Lego Marvel stuff is the least interesting of all the Lego games and I'm sure I'll feel the same for DI. As for the next Skylanders, yeah, I'll get a starter pack when I can get them dirt cheap.

And it remains to be seen how Nintendo handles the NFC stuff, but I'd much rather buy Mario-themed figures than those random Skylanders anyway. I mean, I've already bought my kids Mario figures that didn't do anything. Ones that work in a game would just be a bonus. Of course the game has to be good, first and foremost.

Sounds like you should contact Sony and send in the PS4. I've not had any of those issues, but read some on GAF had some of those around launch and had to send in for repair/replacement.

Best to get it done now before the big games start coming out in late summer/early fall.

Good advice dmaul. Since we are on the topic, you might as well return the X1 controllers as they are defective. I own two of them as well and have not experienced any of your issues. 

Hey io, regarding your rechargeable batteries, quick question. Are the batteries NIMH "pre-charged" (like Sanyo Eneloops or Duracell pre-charged), or are they just regular NIMH batteries? Reason I ask, I used to use regular NIMH batteries, but had a lot of problems with them failing to maintain a charge after a few dozen cycles. Did some research, and found out that the "pre-charged" batteries are a newer technology that holds a charge much longer (at one year after charging, they'll still have like 80% charge, even if just shelved). I switched to all pre-charged NIMH, and had no problems since. I threw away all the older tech NIMH batteries, they were junk. Just a suggestion.

Who said it was "forced"? It's a video game, how could it possibly be "forced"? They can't "force" me to buy anything. Simply because I'm not enslaved to Nintendo doesn't mean I can't dislike something.

Oh wait, you were stating the obvious in an attempt to say that if you don't like something you need to STFU and just not buy it. You are never allowed to say you dislike things!
Actually this was a reading error on my part, so I apologize for that. You are correct, you didn't state that it was forced at all. My bad.

Being a life long gamer has made me come to realize that many people see gaming as a right...but sadly it is not a right but a privilege. We also have the choice of whether or not to purchase the merchandises with our hard earned dollars. I think a lot of people forget that fact.

[quote name="chimpmeister" post="11753447" timestamp="1399991135"]Hey io, regarding your rechargeable batteries, quick question. Are the batteries NIMH "pre-charged" (like Sanyo Eneloops or Duracell pre-charged), or are they just regular NIMH batteries? Reason I ask, I used to use regular NIMH batteries, but had a lot of problems with them failing to maintain a charge after a few dozen cycles. Did some research, and found out that the "pre-charged" batteries are a newer technology that holds a charge much longer (at one year after charging, they'll still have like 80% charge, even if just shelved). I switched to all pre-charged NIMH, and had no problems since. I threw away all the older tech NIMH batteries, they were junk. Just a suggestion.[/quote]

I have an extensive collection of rechargable batteries and this is true. The charger also makes a BIG difference, pretty much all retail chargers sold in the USA are junk. You have to get a maha or lacrosse charger from amazon or else you will be replacing batteries constantly.

I had the same problem with older nimh, they would seemingly die in a device only a few min after charging, once I started replacing them with newer batteries and a lacrosse charger, no problems.

I also run some non pre charged batteries and they work fine as well, but they are also newer cells made within the last 2-3 years not the kind from 2003 or so.

Some devices are picky too, I have a set of Duracell 2650's that work perfectly in everything but my digital camera, even if they are fully charged, the camera won't even turn on when they are inserted. Duracells eneloops and ray o vac's work just fine in the camera.

Is anyone else unable to get on the original wii's e-shop, I can connect but when I try to download something it just either goes at a snails pace or doesn't download at all.

Mario Kart embargo is over!! Almost every site has given it at least a 9! Wii U saved!!
until e3 when the big 2 showcase tons of great next gen games and both those systems are now only 100 dollers more. This is a huge e3 for nintendo in my opinion and with them having 3 areas on show floor they might be planning big things.

with that said nintendo did a smart move allowing these companys to put out these reviews two weeks early to get the good word out.

nintendo systems are still a system you buy to play mostly nintendo games. Don't forget you got watch dogs out the same week and that is not for wii u as of yet.

just watching ign review makes me wonder when nintendo will spend some time and make legit online service. mario kart 8 is THE game you should have things like game chat/game invites and other online stuff. 

Mario Kart embargo is over!! Almost every site has given it at least a 9! Wii U saved!!
If I can get a better job, I could help and buy the system. Seriously, I can easily spend $100 a month on just Nintendo games and eShop - this coming from someone who has never played Wii or N64.

Great news on Mario Kart though. Timbo is right about E3's importance. I'm more excited to see what Nintendo does at the moment.

Is anyone else unable to get on the original wii's e-shop, I can connect but when I try to download something it just either goes at a snails pace or doesn't download at all.
I just downloaded a bunch of games from there a few days ago and had no trouble at all.

Nintendo has gone from, 2 years ago, 10.5 billion cash and the whole "Nintendo can make it till 2052 without making a profit" to 5.34 billion today.  At this cash burn rate they can make it until 2016 before bankruptcy.  That said, that burn rate won't be maintained because some of it was real estate purchases and stock buybacks though future buybacks are always possible if the shares continue to decline.

Nintendo has gone from, 2 years ago, 10.5 billion cash and the whole "Nintendo can make it till 2052 without making a profit" to 5.34 billion today. At this cash burn rate they can make it until 2016 before bankruptcy. That said, that burn rate won't be maintained because some of it was real estate purchases and stock buybacks though future buybacks are always possible if the shares continue to decline.
Do you have a source to back this up?

Even if they "blew" through $5 billion lets see where it was spent before calling them doomed. E3 should be huge.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/nintendo/

My real concern is about the new console that Nintendo is releasing for "emerging markets".  Think about it, are they really going to split development to 3 platforms?  It makes no sense.  That means they're either going to put out a 2DS TV or a Wii U without the gamepad...The gamepad already gets almost no supports, it's basically offscreen play and that's it.  If they release a Wii U without the gamepad, it's gameover for the gamepad.

I'd guess an emerging markets console would just be a cheap machine that played old games rather than getting new ones. Just something they could port existing games to easily. I'd say it would just be a digital VC machine. But limited broadband access in those markets would hurt that a lot.

They've already talked about their next console and portable sharing architecture. I'd guess so they could port their games to both rather than developing separate games for separate platforms. So I can't see them splitting their resources another way.

I'd guess an emerging markets console would just be a cheap machine that played old games rather than getting new ones. Just something they could port existing games to easily. I'd say it would just be a digital VC machine. But limited broadband access in those markets would hurt that a lot.

They've already talked about their next console and portable sharing architecture. I'd guess so they could port their games to both rather than developing separate games for separate platforms. So I can't see them splitting their resources another way.
I guess we can assume that they'll show it off at E3? It sounds like you think they're just going to make a cheap Wii for foreign markets?

I guess we can assume that they'll show it off at E3? It sounds like you think they're just going to make a cheap Wii for foreign markets?
That would be my guess. I doubt they'll announce it at E3. Not like that gets much play in emerging markets. They'll focus on Wii U and 3DS.

That would be my guess. I doubt they'll announce it at E3. Not like that gets much play in emerging markets. They'll focus on Wii U and 3DS.
There's the rumor that Nintendo is announcing new hardware which could be this or that could be BS. Putting out a Wii seems possible but my understanding is that's what happens to all the last gen hardware that's traded in. GameStop collects 20 million Xbox 360's and sell them to companies that serve developing nations. They don't try to resell all of them here. In other words, Nintendo would be competing against preowned consoles, some of which play the same games.

edit:

Basically, I'm saying that I don't know how viable a business strategy it is to compete against tens of millions of used consoles and used games that will already be there. I mean, who's going to buy Mario Galaxy for $10 new when they can buy it for 50 cents used or whatever the prices are in those places. I'm sure that can be researched.

New hardware may be a 3DS Lite or something since the original 3DD model is no longer listed on the NOA site.

The emerging markets they're talking about probably don't have many non-bootleg old games around. Especially china that had a ban in game consoles until recently. But of course, there's no way to know if it will be successful. But Nintendo has to try some things like that to expand their market.

Isn't the 2DS basically the 3DS lite?
Maybe they want a cheaper/smaller model that has 3D?

Just a rumor people started when the OG 3DS vanished from the NOA site. It's probably more likely that model just wasn't selling much with the XL and 2DS out. Then again they did several DS iterations so who knows.

bread's done
Back