Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I am guessing that they will reveal a new 3DS that does not have the 3D effect, they are already paying royalties for each system with the 3D effect sold so I think there will be another model with no 3D feature since they are both cheaper to produce and they can be sold for a cheaper price. They also seem to be either limiting the 3D in some games like Pokemon X and Y and the Ruby Sapphire remakes will not have much 3D either so this would go along with that.  At this point I don't think too many people are buying this system for the 3D effect.

I don't think there will be anything in the console line, unless its a new model of the Wii U that does the same or less as the current model, because they can't release a new console right now, as the people who bought the Wii U would be very, very mad and not buy their new hardware, and people who are thinking of the Wii U would not buy it because they know something new is coming out.  This would not put them in a good position.  They also have a mario kart bundle that will release just prior to E3, so releasing a new Wii U doesn't make much sense at this time.

If there is a rumor floating around, don't believe the deny claims, every time a company tries to deny a rumor, it seems to come true soon after. They only deny it so that we will buy their current products.

I still enjoy the 3d on the 3ds. Shame that Nintendo did not do more with this. Stuff like 3d movies and more 3d classics would have been great.

As far as the wii u is concerned, I hope a 3ds adapter is revealed at e3. Another 2d metroid would be sweet too.

Anyone got recommendations for accessories that are "must-haves"? I already got a screen protector and the Hori case for the gamepad. Been looking at chargers, but seems like all of them don't work with the case on. Not sure what else I'll need.

Anyone got recommendations for accessories that are "must-haves"? I already got a screen protector and the Hori case for the gamepad. Been looking at chargers, but seems like all of them don't work with the case on. Not sure what else I'll need.
Wii U pro Controller?

I don't have one, but it's needed for some of the virtual console games so I know I'll have to buy one eventually. A lot of people here mention them so I imagine it's needed for other stuff too

Wii U pro Controller?

I don't have one, but it's needed for some of the virtual console games so I know I'll have to buy one eventually. A lot of people here mention them so I imagine it's needed for other stuff too
Been looking at that but man that shit is expensive. Amazon JP has them for like so much cheaper, but they don't ship to US so I'm probably gonna just wait for a deal on that one.

Been looking at that but man that shit is expensive. Amazon JP has them for like so much cheaper, but they don't ship to US so I'm probably gonna just wait for a deal on that one.
Ya, that's why I haven't bought one yet. They never seem to go on sale either :(

Last edited by a moderator:
chickenbutt said:

Equistina said:
Ya, that's why I haven't bought one yet. They never seem to go on sale either :(

chickenbutt said:
Yeah. I bought the Nyko one since the Nintendo brand was too expensive. Gonna try it out and if it's not that great I'll just return it. Been hearing mixed reviews about it.
Wait, what? You guys are talking about the Wii U Pro controller that was on sale (for as low as $12.xx) for so long at Best Buy? And even Amazon matched the $25 price point for an extended period? I got a couple at around $22-$25 (I was never lucky enough to find it at $12). Granted this was for the white one, but I don't care if my console and controllers match. Looks like they aren't on sale at Amazon any more but there's a chance you might find one at Best Buy still. I guess I'm glad I got them when I did since I'll definitely want to use them for Mario Kart. That sale price/clearance lasted several months. I guess us early adopters (who were paying attention to such stuff back then) at least got something good out buying in early ;).

You should be able to use a classic controller pro for VC games or a classic controller attached to a Wii remote, but if you don't have need for a Wii remote or don't have one then I guess the better option is the pro controller.

I managed to get a pro controller for $15 from Sam's club, got the last one they had.  Like all controllers it is overpriced at $50 but at least it has like 80 hour battery life and a built in battery compared to other controllers like Microsoft's where you have to buy the battery separately and the controller costs $60 alone not on sale.  While I would prefer to use 2 AA batteries since I have a huge stash of rechargable AA's most people who buy MS's controller buy the extra battery for $20-25 so at least you don't have to deal with that adding to the cost of the controller with the Wii U's pro controller.  I don't think I will be charging or dealing with a dead battery on my pro controller for quite some time as I have experienced Nintendo must use very high quality batteries in their equipment (I own a GBASP from 2005 that still works as if it was new as far as battery life is concerned)  I guess if you think of it that way its a pretty good value.

Ya, I got my wii u last year as my baby shower present and had so many wii motes I didn't think I needed anything else.

I never really paid attention to wii u stuff though til a couple of months ago though since I was pregnant when I got my wii u.

I'll go check Best Buy later and see

I don't have a SAMs membership but I know the one near me lets you buy without a membership so I'll check their too

Thanks all

Ya, I got my wii u last year as my baby shower present and had so many wii motes I didn't think I needed anything else.

I never really paid attention to wii u stuff though til a couple of months ago though since I was pregnant when I got my wii u.

I'll go check Best Buy later and see

I don't have a SAMs membership but I know the one near me lets you buy without a membership so I'll check their too

Thanks all
Best buy's clearance on the ended last year, and I think SAMs is sold out by now too.

I bought mine used at gamestop. The nylon is your best bet now if you really want to save &$.

Yeah, I wouldn't go to Best Buy just for that. Maybe if you are there just check them. But I didn't realize the clearance had ended so it might be fruitless to even check. Did they sell all of them or just restore the price to MSRP? It wasn't really a "sale" in the traditional sense - it was being cleared out over a fairly long period.

Anyway, they are nice. It is pretty much like using a 360 controller to play Wii U games (different triggers though of course). I used mine to play Pikmin 3 while using the Gamepad as a map - that worked great. For Mario Kart I'll definitely be using it. It is considerably more sturdy and "real" feeling than a Wii Classic controller (even the Pro) connected to a Wii remote.

Missed the announcements for Hyrule Warriors. The new bad girl is pretty standard fare (especially for Japan) but Impa looks awesome.

man you whine about everything lol. I guess having options is bad.
It is bad for simplicity, which is bad for "casual consumers".

Though if this is basically a dedicated Smash Bros controller, I understand the decision as the Wii U pro controller did not offer the ability to send commands over USB and since it appears Nintendo is going all in on having SSB Wii U being a competitive fighting game something like this is needed.

Plus: Smash fans will buy this and Smash branded controllers, at this rate Nintendo could rake in a couple hundred dollars a person from big Smash fans. ($40 3DS, $60 Wii U, and $100 for an adapter, and four controllers).

I'll be picking up the GCN Controller Adapter. I don't know if I'll actually use it, but I've learned to pick up the possibly obscure Nintendo accessories while I can. Hopefully this is a sign that they'll release a GCN emulator on the Wii U.

I can tell that the console bundle was either very popular here or GS never got any in since all my local GS stores are sold out of it.

Looking at getting a Wii U just for couch multiplayer games which means buying controllers. Do I need a Wiimote Plus for anything or should I just get four Pro Controllers for Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Mario 3D, etc.? Not interested in getting any mini-game games.

So is the console getting a price drop at E3 or something? I'm not sure if it's just retailers clearing out old inventory but a great deal of vendors have dropped the Skylanders bundle to $250.

Seemed odd that all of them did it together to me. Since even a place like Gamestop rarely price matches.

So is the console getting a price drop at E3 or something? I'm not sure if it's just retailers clearing out old inventory but a great deal of vendors have dropped the Skylanders bundle to $250.

Seemed odd that all of them did it together to me. Since even a place like Gamestop rarely price matches.
The new skylanders game is coming out soon.

[quote name="Indiana Jones" post="11808498" timestamp="1401727213"]Looking at getting a Wii U just for couch multiplayer games which means buying controllers. Do I need a Wiimote Plus for anything or should I just get four Pro Controllers for Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Mario 3D, etc.? Not interested in getting any mini-game games.[/quote]

Four Pro controllers would probably be the best way to go for you.

I purchased the skylanders bundle for $220 at Christmas with no tax, it has been $199 in the past as well(not sure if those would have included tax for me or not). The new skylanders game is coming out in October making this bundle somewhat worthless now, but it is currently the only way to get a brand new white console in the USA.

New Wii U system update just released adds in quick boot mode and other features for the Ganepad. Pleasantly suprised to see it out already. Downloading now will be able to test it soon.

Edit: after testing it out the update is pretty cool. Makes the gamepad more useful but would have been nice to have pro controller support. Still, I get that they are trying to give the gamepad more emphasis. Also would have been nice to be able to make a custom set of icons for the quick boot regardless if you used them recently or not.

Cool little update. You might have to turn your console off after the update and wait a few minutes for the feature to go unto effect afterwards it'll work next time you boot up your system.

[quote name="Indiana Jones" post="11810018" timestamp="1401764037"]Thanks. Is the Remote Plus pretty useless on the Wii U so far? Also, is the Nunchuk the exact same thing as the Wii or did they add anything to it?[/quote]

It's often available as an alternate control method, but it sounds like you're not really interested in it. Personally, I enjoy the relaxed posture I can assume when using a remote and nunchuck control scheme, like in MK8 for example.

The nunchuck has not changed to answer our second question.

It's often available as an alternate control method, but it sounds like you're not really interested in it. Personally, I enjoy the relaxed posture I can assume when using a remote and nunchuck control scheme, like in MK8 for example. The nunchuck has not changed to answer our second question.
I didn't mind the Wiimote and Nunchuk when playing Twilight Princess. However, turning it sideways to race was rather annoying, even with the steering wheels. I did buy the Mario and Peach Remote Plus controllers already; just wondering if I should get two more or buy the Pro Controller. Thanks for your help. O:)

Thanks. Is the Remote Plus pretty useless on the Wii U so far? Also, is the Nunchuk the exact same thing as the Wii or did they add anything to it?
I think Wiimote+nunchuck + gamepad as the map screen is the best way to play Pikmin 3. You also have many Wii games that use this combo well (Mario Galaxy games) that you can play on the Wii U. The nunchuck is exactly the same no updates. Generally I prefer the Gamepad /pro controller over the Wiimotes motion nonsense (traditional controls are why the Wii U is a much better console than the Wii imo) but there are some games that use it effectively.

Personally I think the Pro controller is much more comfortable for MK and most other games (Loz, DK, W101). That and the battery life is rediculously good.

The quick start function is great. Really good update from Nintendo today 
clap2t.gif
clap2t.gif

Yeah, and thanks to the people I talked to in this very thread, I bought four of them a while ago. :D/
I wasn't sure if it had been posted before, I just recently got the MK8 bundle, and this was the cheapest I found when I was looking. Ordered one for now, hopefully I can find a deal for more of them later on. Thought it might help somebody who was in the market for them.

So I just got another Wii U and have been out of the loop. I was looking and saw the Maxplay Car adapter. Did they release this in the US? Ive got a lot of trips coming up and wouldnt mind importing one if that is the only way and it works well. Anyone have any experience?

So I just got another Wii U and have been out of the loop. I was looking and saw the Maxplay Car adapter. Did they release this in the US? Ive got a lot of trips coming up and wouldnt mind importing one if that is the only way and it works well. Anyone have any experience?
According to Anandtech, the Wii U only draws 33W when playing games, so most any 12V inverter should work for this purpose. I don't see a whole lot of point in buying a Wii U-specific power inverter.

bread's done
Back