Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Intro was hilarious and helped soften the blow that freaking miis are now in smash bros. Sucks but I guess we all knew it was bound to happen and at least they made them kind of unique I guess.

Best news for this year is probably Bayonetta 1 being included with Bayonetta 2 releasing this October.

Like the other conferences most if the good stuff is releasing in 2015 which is a disappointment. But damn is 2015 going to kill it, I think it might be one of the best years in gaming ever. Zelda looks epic as hell, Xenoblade chronicles looks great, and the yoshi and Kirby games look cool.

Other things not touched on in the event are MP10 for Wii U as well as Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright which is releasing this year in the US for 3ds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will, we do have Smash Bros, Bayonetta 1 and 2 and Hyrule Warriors this year. Sep, Oct and Nov/Dec

Doesnt seem like we have anything for June/July/Aug though sadly.

Yeah Hyrule Warriors actually looks intriguing. Could be fun to play as multiple characters.

There's also Sonic Boom in November.

Devil 3rd will be Wii U exclusive

oops got beaten to it. shits about to sell 10 copies lol

How Koei gonna make a better looking link than you Ninty?

That was the best opening of all the conferences. Watching Reggie and Iwata go at it DBZ style complete with Mario throwing a fireball kamehameha style won me over.

It's hard for me to choose if this or Sony was better since both kept my attention. 

I didn't realize the eShop had so much content. That video during the E3 minute was exciting.

Nintendo hasn't been a source for new IPs in at least a decade if not longer. Pikmin is the newest IP on that list and that came out on the Gamecube in 2001, nearly 15 years ago..
Wow. You are so out of the loop it's not even funny. Nintendo has had more new IPs in the last decade than any other company.

Wow. You are so out of the loop it's not even funny. Nintendo has had more new IPs in the last decade than any other company.
Russ-Troll.gif

Lol @ 2015 for Zelda, Nintendo with that obvious lie.

How sad is it that a video game press conference was a better DBZ movie than the actual live-action DBZ movie?

The new Zelda game looks like a cross between Skyward Sword and Wind Waker visually with some Twilight Princess thrown in design-wise.

Did Xenoblade Chronicles X graphics got a huge downgrade? Watching the old trailers and this new one is really bad compared to the last one.
Yes they did. A noticeable downgrade. Game will probably be fun though, Looks like im buying 2 more wii u games this year hyrule warriors & smash. All the rest of that stuff has already been forgotten.

Nintendo has the best IPs in my opinion but they haven't introduced a new IP since Pikmin (2001) or Animal Crossing (2002) in the US.

What they do have is an extensive list of IP to draw from, some of which have not seen the light of day in so many years that when they finally do make another appearance they feel new and may infact be new to younger generations of gamers. Or they can tweak an existing IP (Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Double Dash, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, various Kirby games, Donkey Kong, Yarn Yoshi) to have a different look and gameplay feel and provide a different kind of experience. 

I feel like the Gamecube was the pinnacle of Nintendo as far as utilizing various IP.  With the Wii Nintendo fell into a loop where they could milk the Mii/Mario/Zelda franchises (specifically the first two) and make boatloads of cash. I really dislike the Wii period of Nintendo, although it did fund Nintendo with a ton of money to work with. 

This is why I love the Wii U because it is a return to form to the Nintendo IPs that interest me (Pikmin in particular although I would love a Metroid game).  I also fucking hate waggle so the gamepad is infinitely more appealing.

Nintendo has the best IPs in my opinion but they haven't introduced a new IP since Pikmin (2001) or Animal Crossing (2002) in the US.

What they do have is an extensive list of IP to draw from, some of which have not seen the light of day in so many years that when they finally do make another appearance they feel new and may infact be new to younger generations of gamers. Or they can tweak an existing IP (Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Double Dash, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, various Kirby games, Donkey Kong, Yarn Yoshi) to have a different look and gameplay feel and provide a different kind of experience.

I feel like the Gamecube was the pinnacle of Nintendo as far as utilizing various IP. With the Wii Nintendo fell into a loop where they could milk the Mii/Mario/Zelda franchises (specifically the first two) and make boatloads of cash. I really dislike the Wii period of Nintendo, although it did fund Nintendo with a ton of money to work with.

This is why I love the Wii U because it is a return to form to the Nintendo IPs that interest me (Pikmin in particular although I would love a Metroid game). I also fucking hate waggle so the gamepad is infinitely more appealing.
2001/2002?

Uh, Advance Wars, Professor Layton, Brain Age, Endless Ocean, Golden Sun, Hotel Dusk, Custom Robo, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Xenoblade Chronicles...

Enlighten me... Real games of substance (you can keep your WiiParty's and Nintendolands).
Since the GameCube era:

- Animal Crossing

- Pikmin

- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

- Cubivore

- Nintendogs

- Doshin the Giant

- Giftpia

- 1080 Avalanche

- Kuru Kuru Kururin

- Geist

- Chibi Robo

- Legendary Quiz Championship

- Odama

- Wii series (Sports/Play/Music/etc.)

- Endless Ocean

- Captain Rainbow

- Disaster: Day of Crisis

- FlingSmash

- Another Code

- Slashing of Reginleiv

- Rhythm Heaven

- Kiki Trick

- Art Style/Academy

- Magnetica

- MaBoShi

- Bonsai Barber

- Rock N' Roll Climber

- Eco Shooter

- Fluidity

- Dillon's Rolling Western

- HarmoKnight

- Splatoon

- Wonderful 101

- Line Attack Heroes

- Pushmo

- Devil's Third

- Golden Sun

- Magical Vacation/Starsign

- Drill Dozer

- Polarium

- Meteos

- Elite Beat Agents

- Electroplankton

- Brain Age

- Hotel Dusk

- Tomodatchi series

- Glory of Heracles

- Spirit Camera

- Freakyforms

- Fantasy Life

- Sakura Samurai

- Ketzal's Corridors

- Kersploosh

- Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

- Steel Diver

Knowing Nintendo, there's probably another 15-20 games that were made and never left Japan.

Lol @ listing titles that never made it here and 3rd party exclusives
Just because it didn't come over here doesn't mean its not a new IP.

And 3rd party exclusives make up a sizable chunk of Microsoft and Sony's character roster.

And many of those 3rd party games had heavy involvement from Nintendo.

It PAINS ME to say this......Nintendo won E3.

I had no plans to get Bayonetta but now that it's 2 games in one, I'll probably get it. Also, I loved the self aware humor.

Also how many are actually by Nintendo proper?  Wonderful 101 is a Platinum game.  Eternal Darkness a Silicon Knights game.  Published by and developed by are two very different things and that list is littered with 2nd party games.

That is still a extensive list even though I've never heard of most of them.  

For comparisons sake, here's a quick list for this year's E3 conferences (and not comprehensive, just a quick google)

MS
Sunset Overdrive
Ori & the Blind Forest
Scalebound
Fantasia
Project Spark
Inside
Quantum Break (not shown but known)

Sony
The Order: 1886
Entwined
Let it Die
Bloodborne
ABZU
No Man's Sky

Nintendo
Splatoon
X
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker *
Yoshi’s Woolly World*
Hyrule Warriors*
Mario Maker*

CrossPlat:
Destiny
Lords of the Fallen
Dying Light
Evolve
The Evil Within 

*Spin-offs and not technically new IPs? Talk amongst yourselves.

Nothing shown to make me regret selling my Wii U. Some really solid titles for Nintendo fans though for sure.

I'm hoping they announce some 3DS games that interest me at the event today. But it will probably just be a Majora's Mask remake.

Nothing shown to make me regret selling my Wii U. Some really solid titles for Nintendo fans though for sure.

I'm hoping they announce some 3DS games that interest me at the event today. But it will probably just be a Majora's Mask remake.
Wow. I'm really glad to hear that you don't regret selling your wiiu. I was getting sick worrying that you might be missing it.

Out of all the current gen consoles right now, I've been playing with my WiiU the most.  I got a PS4 as well, but it was for a timed alpha at the time.  However, since you can't really play online on the PS4 unless you have PS+, I've been heavily considering selling my PS4 at this point.  

I feel that Nintendo was clearly the winner this E3.  New 1st party IPs, NFC toys(Finally!), open world WiiU Zelda(!),  and exclusive WiiU 3rd party titles(NOT timed, or DLC) brings back the good old console companies of E3.  I really nope Nintendo delivers on their promises and after playing Mario Kart 8, I'm pretty optimistic.  

Wow. I'm really glad to hear that you don't regret selling your wiiu. I was getting sick worrying that you might be missing it.
:lol:
Just because it didn't come over here doesn't mean its not a new IP.

And 3rd party exclusives make up a sizable chunk of Microsoft and Sony's character roster.

And many of those 3rd party games had heavy involvement from Nintendo.
Exactly, First party developed titles are hard to find on any if the systems. With Microsoft, almost all of their major franchises started 3rd party exclusives, Gears, Project Gotham (before they ditched it for Forze), Halo. Sony still has a significant portion of their exclusive IPs as 3rd party developed exclusives, Uncharted, Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance.

Without actually doing the math and figuring out, I would venture to guess Nintendo has the most significant portion on 1st party developed releases of all 3.

Not to mention that Nintendo already had a sizeable character roster already that expands all the time.

Seriously, you could easily triple Super Smash Bros. Brawl's roster and still have dozens left over for Assist Trophies.

I'm just not feeling Splatoon. Throw it a campaign mode and I'll check it out.

Mentioned this in the E3 thread, but Nintendo released a new trailer revealing the next character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQFy4flXfU

If you are attending Smashfest at Best Buy, they give you a coupon sheet where you can get:

- $20 off Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, or New Super Mario Bros U
- $30 off WiiU, 3DSXL, or 2DS system
- 10% off accessories.

If you are attending Smashfest at Best Buy, they give you a coupon sheet where you can get:

- $20 off Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, or New Super Mario Bros U
- $30 WiiU, 3DSXL, or 2DS system
- 10% accessories.
Thanks for the heads up, $20 off DK TF sounds good to me, wonder how long the coupon is valid for.

Just got out of Smashfest. Super Mario 3D World is currently $54.99 at Best Buy. Combine that with the GCU and the $20 coupon, I got Mario for $27.99.

After seeing more of it, disappointed at monolith pulling a Ubisoft with the bullshot footage. Still one of the best things going for the wii u though.

Also how many are actually by Nintendo proper? Wonderful 101 is a Platinum game. Eternal Darkness a Silicon Knights game. Published by and developed by are two very different things and that list is littered with 2nd party games.

That is still a extensive list even though I've never heard of most of them.

For comparisons sake, here's a quick list for this year's E3 conferences (and not comprehensive, just a quick google)

MS
Sunset Overdrive
Ori & the Blind Forest
Scalebound
Fantasia
Project Spark
Inside
Quantum Break (not shown but known)

Sony
The Order: 1886
Entwined
Let it Die
Bloodborne
ABZU
No Man's Sky

Nintendo
Splatoon
X
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker *
Yoshi’s Woolly World*
Hyrule Warriors*
Mario Maker*

CrossPlat:
Destiny
Lords of the Fallen
Dying Light
Evolve
The Evil Within

*Spin-offs and not technically new IPs? Talk amongst yourselves.
No way No Man's Sky is an exclusive, "exclusive console debut on PS4" is basically saying it will be on other platforms. Not to mention every time they're asked about Xbox One they say "were not talking about other platforms right now."

It's not a list of exclusives, it's a list of new IPs.  Sony showed it off and it's not announced for anything else so I put it there.

Ok new WiiU owner and I need to ask a few questions.

I purchased the 32gb MK8 bundle and want to know about how many of the free games can I fit on the 32gb of space?(looking to purchase Zelda, Mario, and WiiU Party)

I have a bunch of Virtual Shop games on a SD card from my Wii can I still play them on the WiiU and if so how?

Are there any must have accessories to be on the look at for? Like cases, controllers, cradles, and etc.?

Thanks,

I purchased the 32gb MK8 bundle and want to know about how many of the free games can I fit on the 32gb of space?(looking to purchase Zelda, Mario, and WiiU Party)

I have a bunch of Virtual Shop games on a SD card from my Wii can I still play them on the WiiU and if so how?

Are there any must have accessories to be on the look at for? Like cases, controllers, cradles, and etc.?

Thanks,
Those should all fit on the 32GB fine.

To transfer VC from the Wii to a Wii U you need the Wii still and then follow: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1124/p/431/c/266

Accessories? Look our for deals on WM+s and Wii U Pro controllers.

Thanks,
Zelda Wind Waker - 1715 MB
NSMBU - 1670 MB + 77 MB update
Pikmin 3 - 3.860 MB + 349 MB update
Wii Party U - 4024 MB
Additionally I'd assume game saves for each game for each profile on the Wii U are about 30 MB.

eShop question. When I buy a game can I just buy the game or do I have to add x amount of funds first.

Aka I buying Shovel Knight and I am thinking WiiU unless I have to actually add $20 to buy it (since it's $15). If not I am grabbing it on Steam.

[quote name="Sir_Fragalot" post="11873831" timestamp="1403801451"]eShop question. When I buy a game can I just buy the game or do I have to add x amount of funds first.

Aka I buying Shovel Knight and I am thinking WiiU unless I have to actually add $20 to buy it (since it's $15). If not I am grabbing it on Steam.[/quote]

I believe you can add required funds.

bread's done
Back