Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='advanced']We do. Go check IGN for a US console unboxing video.[/QUOTE]
Nice, thanks.

[quote name='Strell']
Fairly sure US gets one of these; there are boxing videos out today that show Nintendo Land having a case.

Besides, wouldn't you rather have a crate? BWAH HAW HAW[/QUOTE]

Har har har.

If anybody is worried about protecting their Wii U tablet, I just bought this screen protector for the Wii U tablet from Gamestop for $10.

803333b.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-write-protect/103819

I also saw a display box for an invisihell for the Wii U tablet from Rocketfish at Best Buy for $10.

6891331_rb.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...rent/6891331.p?id=1218810565088&skuId=6891331

I like the shield for it, but I'm afraid it'll make it too bulky or add too much weight. Guess I'll have to use that employee discount my girlfriend gets and try it out on the cheap.

And none of my stores have the screen protectors now. :( Hopefully they'll have some on launch day or BB will have something similar. Definitely want to protect that bad boy.

[quote name='advanced']I like the shield for it, but I'm afraid it'll make it too bulky or add too much weight. Guess I'll have to use that employee discount my girlfriend gets and try it out on the cheap.

And none of my stores have the screen protectors now. :( Hopefully they'll have some on launch day or BB will have something similar. Definitely want to protect that bad boy.[/QUOTE]

My Gamestop only got one screen protector in. I thought that was strange.

[quote name='Metal Militia']My Gamestop only got one screen protector in. I thought that was strange.[/QUOTE]
That does seem strange. I'm sure it's low cost, high profit for them, and any decent store could probably convince at least half of the people buying systems to pick it up.

I saw screen protectors for sale at Best Buy this past Tuesday near the controllers and Wii U game preorder cards. I can't recall the brand though. They also had those inivishield shells someone posted earlier.

Will the universal remote feature of the tablet controller replace my harmony/logitec remote. If so sweert!! If not COME ON!!!!
Killer feature if it did

Does anyone have any details of how one sets up this Nintendo tvii with cable/satellite providers. Do I still use the box given by my provider? Curious so I know if I need to buy a HDMI switcher. Plus anyone know if the cable companies will charge extra to use it?

Apparently you enter the TV manufacturer and/or Cable Provider and the Gamepad does it all automatically for you. IGN had a write up about it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Apparently you enter the TV manufacturer and/or Cable Provider and the Gamepad does it all automatically for you. IGN had a write up about it.[/QUOTE]
That's awesome that I don't need any account info/setup to get it working. I like the idea of a universal remote via the gamepad that I can switch between tv and netflix on the fly.

I must say...I've never felt the urge to replace the batteries in my Dual Shocks. The battery inside it never even crossed my mind, in fact. Doubt it's going to be any different for me with the Wii U gamepad. I suppose it's good to know in case of worst-case scenarios, but I just couldn't see losing sleep over it :p

You can, but it's a pain in the ass and you have to use a third party battery. I've had two different DS3's die on me. This sounds like it will be akin to replacing the battery in a DS or GBA which I vastly prefer.

I admit I don't really understand the whole Tvii thing and how it is supposed to work. Chances are it won't be compatible with my podunk cable company anyway.

Anyone else like me? Can't get the Wii U because their money is all tied up in amazon gift codes and amazon won't sell it. :(

As the days draw closer, I find myself wanting a Wii U more and more, despite the fact that I really wasnt a fan of the Wii.

[quote name='SEH']As the days draw closer, I find myself wanting a Wii U more and more, despite the fact that I really wasnt a fan of the Wii.[/QUOTE]

I'm also checking the impulse to pick up a WIIU even though I know it's best to wait. It's just odd not to be in on a Nintendo console as soon as possible. I'll get there eventually.

It's one of the nice things about this "launch window," even though it perhaps doesn't bode well for Nintendo's near-term prospects, it's a good way to remove the pressure of getting one at launch for reasons that don't go beyond "just because." With this launch window plan, Nintendo's effectively telling me to wait, there's more titles/support on the way, so I'm going to do that.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'm finally ready to start Xenoblade--is there any reason to wait to play it on the Wii U instead?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely my favorite game on the Wii! Several websites have revealed that you'll have to download a day one patch on the Wii U to unlock the "Wii mode" and transfer the save data using an SD card, but after that you'll be all set. So, start playing it now - you won't be able to put it down.

What's everyone's plans for the Wii U Launch? I was originally going to buy the Deluxe Wii U, Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros U and Assassin's Creed 3. However, with Rayman Legends being delayed until March 2013 I have one less launch game. I'd like to have another launch game, but I'm not sure which one I want.

Rayman is delayed until March?! Didn't see that coming, especially with the demo out. My other launch title is likely going to be Lego City Undercover (to go with NSMB, AC3 and Nintendo Land pack in).

[quote name='KillerRamen']What's everyone's plans for the Wii U Launch? I was originally going to buy the Deluxe Wii U, Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros U and Assassin's Creed 3. However, with Rayman Legends being delayed until March 2013 I have one less launch game. I'd like to have another launch game, but I'm not sure which one I want.[/QUOTE]

Mario.
Sonic Racing.
ZombieU

Honestly, I was thinking of going for the Mario Bros deal at Old Navy on Black Friday. Before then I'll probably give the extra Wii U software a pass. If I leave the system sealed I will have the option of flipping it if the supply turns out to be short.

Mario
ZombiU
NintendoLand

Would've gotten Rayman if available. Probably pick up something else like COD to justify the Pro Controller purchase.

Still, even just the top three are enough until the holidays.

I was in for Pikmin 3 and Rayman at launch. Since those aren't happening, it's just going to be a Mario system until those come out.

Epic Mickey 2! I forgot about that on the Wii U. Had to cancel my 360 preorder because of my Wii U, but it'll probably be really cool on the Wii U. I may have to get that too.

Mario
Black Ops II
Batman: Arkam City Armored Edition
ZombiU

I have a b2g1 free coupon on preowned games from gamestop for renewing my powerup rewards membership so I might pick up some more games.

Nintendoland
NSMBU
Darksiders II
And probably one more, most likely Epic Mickey because I was really impressed with the demo.

Launch:
Deluxe Console (GS preorder - in store)
Pro Controller (GS preorder - in store)
NSMBU (GS preorder - in store)
ZombiU (Newegg preorder)

Also have Rayman and Pikmin preordered at Newegg.

Deluxe Console w/ Nintendoland
ZombiU
Tank! Tank! Tank!
The Wonderful 101

Possibles:
Rayman
Epic Mickey 2

I had also sold all of my consoles about a year ago and have been on the PC/3DS only so I bought some Wii games that I want to re/play.

Launch Pre-Orders:
Deluxe Set (bestbuy)
Pro Controller (newegg - $38!)
ZombiU (newegg - $48!)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (amazon - $50!)

Launch Pick-Up:
Still deciding between New Super Mario Bros. U, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed since the other games likely won't arrive until the 20th or 21st

[quote name='SEH']As the days draw closer, I find myself wanting a Wii U more and more, despite the fact that I really wasnt a fan of the Wii.[/QUOTE]

It's called hype :p

Don't believe the hype!

... at least not yet.

[quote name='Javery']Don't believe the hype!

... at least not yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting. If I do wind up getting one it probably would be around the end of the year.

Two quick questions:

(1) Wii points - My understanding is that these do not carry over to the Wii U, but the downloadable games will if included in the initial transfer--correct? If so I may need to go on a mini-buying spree, as I've had 2500 points sitting on my account for ages...

(2) Pro Controller - is there any reason I need or should have this for launch? I'm just getting the Deluxe (including Nintendo Land) and NSMBU, and am only expecting to grab Pikmin 3 and Rayman between now and E3... have one on pre-order for $38 from Newegg, but just trying to weigh whether I'm actually going to use the thing.

getting the pro controller is really up to you dude. if you have friends to play with I would say definitely get it. obviously you don't need 2 controllers if it's just you playing.

Today the fine folks at GS.com gave me a $386 hit on my bank account which is fucking awesome because my Wii-U will be coming.

I just pray it's shipped via UPS instead of USPS.

Same here, but, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go USPS. I bet I'll get that one after the 20th.

Found two friends who missed out on preorders, so I'm hooking them up with my extras if everything goes to plan. 7 Days, mon freres.

[quote name='therealdanhill']getting the pro controller is really up to you dude. if you have friends to play with I would say definitely get it. obviously you don't need 2 controllers if it's just you playing.[/QUOTE]

Seems like it's more necessary for the FPS games; I'll skip it for now.

Also, I haven't seen this confirmed yet--do we know if the Wii U uses a universal (e.g., 120v to 240v) power supply? The Wii did not, unfortunately...

[quote name='advanced']I can't decide between the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk combo or a Pro Controller for my player 2.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we know which games you can sub out the Pro controller for the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo.

bread's done
Back