Wii U...will there be a new version?

They can't really take out the game pad, it's required for some games and the e-shop cannot be used without it at this point at least.

They can't really take out the game pad, it's required for some games and the e-shop cannot be used without it at this point at least.
I think they COULD take it out because they could modify the firmware and make everything function without it. Will they remove it? Who knows, I think it's possible but not especially likely. Removal of the gamepad would lower it's cost a lot and allow it to have a more conventional style of games. This can be important because a backwards compatible next gen Nintendo console is going to have to have a gamepad to be functional unless they patch in non-gamepad functionality into future games (with the assumption that people will own SKU's without the gamepad). The gamepad could become something like Kinect, functionality is added for folks that own it but not necessary for gameplay.

If they leave the gamepad in then my guess is that the next gen Nintendo home console will be in no way backwards compatible with the Wii U. After this debacle, there's no way they're going to create another system with one.

jmmvTNrEFMURe.jpg

I think they would have to patch almost every game and the console firmware in order to remove it. It's probably too much at this point especially with games like nintendoland which would not be the same without the game pad. They would have to redo almost the whole game for nintendoland. It's clear some games need it but those games that use it would lose a lot if they took out the Gamepad somehow. I don't see it happening soon though and it would be a pretty radical move if they did take it out.

Maybe the next console will have a Gamepad 2.0 .. Or you would have to use the current Gamepad with the new console much like you use the Wii remotes now.

If Nintendo makes a new non-backwards compatible console they will have a very, very hard time selling it. Let's face it the selling point of the Wii U is that you can have 2 systems in one box and I would take 2 last gen systems over one new one with next to no games out in a minute. Also a lot of people wore out their Wii's by now, the flash memory and the laser won't last forever so those looking to replace an aging system ( like me) before it breaks and loses all it's resale value are perfect targets for the Wii U. This was a good enough reason alone for me to buy the Wii U.

I think they would have to patch almost every game and the console firmware in order to remove it. It's probably too much at this point especially with games like nintendoland which would not be the same without the game pad. They would have to redo almost the whole game for nintendoland. It's clear some games need it but those games that use it would lose a lot if they took out the Gamepad somehow. I don't see it happening soon though and it would be a pretty radical move if they did take it out. Maybe the next console will have a Gamepad 2.0 .. Or you would have to use the current Gamepad with the new console much like you use the Wii remotes now. If Nintendo makes a new non-backwards compatible console they will have a very, very hard time selling it. Let's face it the selling point of the Wii U is that you can have 2 systems in one box and I would take 2 last gen systems over one new one with next to no games out in a minute. Also a lot of people wore out their Wii's by now, the flash memory and the laser won't last forever so those looking to replace an aging system ( like me) before it breaks and loses all it's resale value are perfect targets for the Wii U. This was a good enough reason alone for me to buy the Wii U.
I don't see how they can allow you to use your old gamepad with the Wii U 2 when that would basically brick your old Wii U.

It depends if Nintendo actually decides to start selling Gamepads separately or not.  But yeah, you'd have to patch the OS, every Game that uses the Gamepad, the Shop, settings, etc. to get everything to work without it to do a Gamepad-less Wii U. It's not really worth the effort to Nintendo to do something like that.  You'd want them to either improve the current OS and/or start working on the OS for their next system/handheld (the latter of which I think is going to blow minds).

And Wii U can't really drop Wii backwards compatibility because of how the system was designed. Wii games are software emulated on Wii U, because of A LOT of hardware customization which jacked up the cost of the system.  It's not like with PS3 where Sony just dumped the PS2 chipset in there and said 'here, now shut up about BC forever.'

Are there any games that can actually use 2 game pads at this point? I don't see Nintendo selling the pad separately until a game can use 2 at once. Also it would probably be sold through their online store or Gamestop only much like the extended Gamepad battery. I doubt it would be sold at mass retail. Especially since they can't even seem to get fit meters to mass retail, at least here.

It would be a lot of trouble to remove the Gamepad, not only that but they would have to still have options for those with the pad. The pad is also the selling point of the system, without it you basically have a slightly more powerful Wii. Might as well just stick with the original Wii if you want to go this route. Even with a lower price I don't think people would buy more of them without the pad.

Nintendo needs to get better at restocking games as well, this is a huge problem here with store shelves that have been empty of the most popular games all holiday season with no restock. How are people supposed to buy games if they are not on store shelves? They complain there are no sales, but then there is no stock..either. People make impulse purchases at retail so Nintendo needs to step it up in that dept. Yes you can order online, yes there is digital but people still want physical copies. Shelf space isn't an issue, the space is there, it's just empty.

It depends if Nintendo actually decides to start selling Gamepads separately or not. But yeah, you'd have to patch the OS, every Game that uses the Gamepad, the Shop, settings, etc. to get everything to work without it to do a Gamepad-less Wii U. It's not really worth the effort to Nintendo to do something like that. You'd want them to either improve the current OS and/or start working on the OS for their next system/handheld (the latter of which I think is going to blow minds).

And Wii U can't really drop Wii backwards compatibility because of how the system was designed. Wii games are software emulated on Wii U, because of A LOT of hardware customization which jacked up the cost of the system. It's not like with PS3 where Sony just dumped the PS2 chipset in there and said 'here, now shut up about BC forever.'
Are there any games that can actually use 2 game pads at this point? I don't see Nintendo selling the pad separately until a game can use 2 at once. Also it would probably be sold through their online store or Gamestop only much like the extended Gamepad battery. I doubt it would be sold at mass retail. Especially since they can't even seem to get fit meters to mass retail, at least here. It would be a lot of trouble to remove the Gamepad, not only that but they would have to still have options for those with the pad. The pad is also the selling point of the system, without it you basically have a slightly more powerful Wii. Might as well just stick with the original Wii if you want to go this route. Even with a lower price I don't think people would buy more of them without the pad. Nintendo needs to get better at restocking games as well, this is a huge problem here with store shelves that have been empty of the most popular games all holiday season with no restock. How are people supposed to buy games if they are not on store shelves? They complain there are no sales, but then there is no stock..either. People make impulse purchases at retail so Nintendo needs to step it up in that dept. Yes you can order online, yes there is digital but people still want physical copies. Shelf space isn't an issue, the space is there, it's just empty.
I know I've read previously that it's possible to use 2 gamepads at once but honestly, I have my doubts about how well that would work. The console already streams two pictures. Does it really have the capability to stream 3 1080p images (2 gamepads + TV)? Even if it's fully capable, the number of people willing to drop $100 for a second gamepad are very very small. They're going to need a game packed in with the extra gamepad.

I really don't see them having Wii U backwards compatibility. Obviously it's possible but it just seems so unlikely.

They don't need to drop the gamepad, just separate it out.  $200 console + $100 gamepad accessory.  Most games don't need it, game boxes are appropriately labeled for controller support.  People that want one can buy it separately if they want.

If there is a new Wii U it will be cheaper, cheaper feeling, cheaper parts, and all around cheaper. You'll get what you paid for. 

If you want a Wii U get a Wii U. That is if you want and are willing to spend the moneys.

This is a multiple choice poll. That is I can vote, Yes and No. What gives?

I am sure they will find a way to nix something out of the next Wii U model to make it cheaper .. Experience says better to get it now before the model changes as Nintendo is pretty famous for stripping down their consoles. If you want it you probably know by now if you want it or not.

I am sure they will find a way to nix something out of the next Wii U model to make it cheaper .. Experience says better to get it now before the model changes as Nintendo is pretty famous for stripping down their consoles. If you want it you probably know by now if you want it or not.
I wouldn't say they are famous for it. Besides the Wii which they released the Wii mini which stripped out the gamecube support and internet after they had already released the Wii U they haven't stripped anything out of any of their previous consoles.

Most of their stripping out comes from the handhelds like the Micro taking out GB/C support or the DSi taking out GBA support.

Regarding the Game Pad: I think they could drop it.

A minor update to the OS for things like eShop and the opening screen with WiiVerse on top and the menu down below.

Every game I have asks you which controller you'd like to use, if I remember correctly. Even Windwaker HD, which uses the Game Pad usefully (other games I have seem to keep it there for a second screen) has the option so maybe they really don't have to update games.

I wouldn't say they are famous for it. Besides the Wii which they released the Wii mini which stripped out the gamecube support and internet after they had already released the Wii U they haven't stripped anything out of any of their previous consoles.
The Wii had GameCube support stripped out years before the Mini or the Wii U came out.

Yeah, there was definitely a regular sized Wii that had gamecube support taken out.

I rebought a Wii in fall 2011 when my Xbox Live account was hacked.  It was a bundle that was $150 and included NMSB Wii packed in.  I bought it when target had it for that price, plus Zelda Skyward Sword for free with purchase.

Well, the recent news buzz is that Nintendo is going to be missing their Wii U sales projections for the year by an immense margin. They sold around one third the number of Wii Us that they originally expected to sell.

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but Nintendo should have released the Wii U with some form of built-in software that would appeal to an older audience. And when I say old, I mean 60+ years old. One of the strengths of the Wii was that they were able to sell that system to just about everyone. If they ever wanted to tap that same kind of audience, they needed to give them games that would appeal to that audience, and also work well with the gamepad. I'm thinking Sudoku and Crosswords for a start. Your grandfather isn't going to understand or care about Super Mario. But he can enjoy some crossword puzzles on this new-fangled tablet.

As it stands, Nintendo is going to have to pull out the stops for 2014. There will be a Mario-Kart Wii U bundle as soon as that game releases. It will cost the same price as the other current game-bundled systems. They can easily get away with having the game be digital, and pre-installed on the system, so that's the route I think they'll take.

The ship has sailed on getting casual/nongamers to buy consoles for stuff like Brain Age, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Rock Band etc. 

They've long got sick of that and moved on to tablets and/or smartphones.  Grandpa isn't going to play Suduko or crossword puzzles on a Wii U or even 3DS.  He's going to play them on a tablet or phone, or maybe a FaceBook game.  I have a few Words with Friends games going with friends' parents who are 60+.

Nintendo has to find a way to make money selling their hardware and games to gamers.  They aren't going to ride another Wii like fad, or even a Brain Age like fad that they had help the DS sell outside the normal portable gamer market.

Maybe once VR is out we'll see another fad that gets non-gamers buying in again.  But that's a ways off, and as backward and behind as Nintendo is in spec power etc. right now, it's hard to see them being a leader in the emergence of VR when ever it happens.

The ship has sailed on getting casual/nongamers to buy consoles for stuff like Brain Age, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Rock Band etc.

They've long got sick of that and moved on to tablets and/or smartphones. Grandpa isn't going to play Suduko or crossword puzzles on a Wii U or even 3DS. He's going to play them on a tablet or phone, or maybe a FaceBook game. I have a few Words with Friends games going with friends' parents who are 60+.

Nintendo has to find a way to make money selling their hardware and games to gamers. They aren't going to ride another Wii like fad, or even a Brain Age like fad that they had help the DS sell outside the normal portable gamer market.

Maybe once VR is out we'll see another fad that gets non-gamers buying in again. But that's a ways off, and as backward and behind as Nintendo is in spec power etc. right now, it's hard to see them being a leader in the emergence of VR when ever it happens.
I think you nailed it. The casual gamers have moved on to other things which is unfortunate as Nintendo is the most accessible console for them. Most western gamers play primarily adult games, ie shooters, sports and the like, something that is at odds with Nintendo's family friendly philosophy/brand. It's a catch-22 for them.

Nintendo has to find a way to make money selling their hardware and games to gamers. They aren't going to ride another Wii like fad, or even a Brain Age like fad that they had help the DS sell outside the normal portable gamer market.
Yeah, you're probably right. After Nintendo opened the floodgates with the DS and later the Wii, the competition swooped in and started catering to those markets. Now tablets and other touch-screen devices are dominating that market. Elderly gamers are far more likely to simply upgrade to a smartphone instead of trying to mess around with any sort of home console. Messing around with cables will always be more bother than just poking at a single device in the palm of your hand.

It's either time for Nintendo to hunker down and prepare for some lean years, or do something completely crazy.

Nintendo smartphone, coming 2015.

Yeah, you're probably right. After Nintendo opened the floodgates with the DS and later the Wii, the competition swooped in and started catering to those markets. Now tablets and other touch-screen devices are dominating that market. Elderly gamers are far more likely to simply upgrade to a smartphone instead of trying to mess around with any sort of home console. Messing around with cables will always be more bother than just poking at a single device in the palm of your hand.

It's either time for Nintendo to hunker down and prepare for some lean years, or do something completely crazy.

Nintendo smartphone, coming 2015.
I don't think Nintendo has the ability to put out a smartphone. They'd need to put out some serious resources staffing up a new division to do that and then hope it sells a lot. The smartphone market would just be another place they would be a third wheel in. They should stick to software. The only reason people bought Nintendo hardware was to play their software anyway...

I don't think Nintendo has the ability to put out a smartphone.
I think Nintendo could release a smartphone. But I do agree with you that it is highly unlikely that they would be able to excel in that market. They've gotten a little bit of iterative hardware practice in their handheld lines. But they simply don't have the strength for developing and maintaining a respectable operating system. They've always been good at hardware, but the on-line infrastructure for a smartphone is beyond them. Simply creating another Android phone wouldn't be enough either. They would have to put out their own smartphone OS, or they would just be an also-ran.

Of course, that just leaves us at square one. Could we see the seemingly impossible come to pass? Might Nintendo actually consider shifting their software development to other companies' hardware? Or will they just tough it out with the Wii U and take another stab at a hardware iteration three years from now?

I think Nintendo could release a smartphone. But I do agree with you that it is highly unlikely that they would be able to excel in that market. They've gotten a little bit of iterative hardware practice in their handheld lines. But they simply don't have the strength for developing and maintaining a respectable operating system. They've always been good at hardware, but the on-line infrastructure for a smartphone is beyond them. Simply creating another Android phone wouldn't be enough either. They would have to put out their own smartphone OS, or they would just be an also-ran.

Of course, that just leaves us at square one. Could we see the seemingly impossible come to pass? Might Nintendo actually consider shifting their software development to other companies' hardware? Or will they just tough it out with the Wii U and take another stab at a hardware iteration three years from now?
I think that would be a positive move for gamers because it would mean that they could play the games they like and put out less money for hardware. It's especially true for the "Nintendo Faithful" as they miss out on many 3rd party games that are a lot better than they realize.

I think that would be a positive move for gamers because it would mean that they could play the games they like and put out less money for hardware. It's especially true for the "Nintendo Faithful" as they miss out on many 3rd party games that are a lot better than they realize.
I disagree with the notion that the Nintendo faithful miss out on 3rd party games. If they wanted to play 3rd party games they would have bought a second console or better yet a PC. At the end of the day, no matter which console you pick you are going to miss out on something. Also, you can't possibly miss something you don't know or care about.

On a slight tangent, it just dawned on me that all 3 console manufacturers are losing money this fiscal year (M$ and Sony due to development costs and Nintendo due to poor sales). I wonder if that has ever happened before.

I disagree with the notion that the Nintendo faithful miss out on 3rd party games. If they wanted to play 3rd party games they would have bought a second console or better yet a PC. At the end of the day, no matter which console you pick you are going to miss out on something. Also, you can't possibly miss something you don't know or care about.

On a slight tangent, it just dawned on me that all 3 console manufacturers are losing money this fiscal year (M$ and Sony due to development costs and Nintendo due to poor sales). I wonder if that has ever happened before.
I see what you're saying but here's the thing, I don't think they understand what the other genre's are like.

Microsoft made massive profits this year. If you meant their devices division...then we know it's losses but they don't break the Xbox part out of that so we have no idea what profits or losses the Xbox generated. Keep in mind that they wrote off millions of Windows RT devices this last fiscal year and that's part of the same division that Xbox is in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo should have released the Wii HD bundled with HD Wii Sports (combo with Resort, etc.)... then given you a free download code in the box for Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt.

They can't ditch the gamepad now because then they'd be no different than PS3 and 360... they could possibly make it so 3DS connectivity handles the gamepad functionality.

And if Sony couldn't pull off a cell phone, then I'm sure Nintendo could not either (especially with their lack of understanding of the cutting edge aspects of online gaming).

Last edited by a moderator:
Release their own version of a Retron.

Have it play Wii U, Wii, GameCube, 3DS, DS, Game Boy and if they can fit in the cartridge slots for N64, SNES, and NES those too. They would sell billions. People can play their old games, the new games.

If they don't do that they need to make something like Vita or AppleTV  for $99 and put up a real Nintendo Store like the AppStore by Apple with their entire library of games from all generations. As long as they are appropriately priced, none of this $8 for a NES game bull shit, they would sell gang busters. 

bread's done
Back