Will 360 work on my campus network?

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
well i haven't been able to play my consoles online at school because they use Resnet, and so every machine that wants to access the internet has to be registered to the network. so will the 360 be any different from my xbox in trying to connect to the network? any insight would be great, thanks.

It uses the exact same XBox Live as the XBox does. If you can play online with Live on the XBox, you should have no trouble with the 360.

[quote name='minqqq']well i haven't been able to play my consoles online at school because they use Resnet, and so every machine that wants to access the internet has to be registered to the network. so will the 360 be any different from my xbox in trying to connect to the network? any insight would be great, thanks.[/QUOTE]
Depending on what they want for information on registerting it, it's up in the air.

What information do they ask for when they register a PC on the network?

well i was having problems getting online with the xbox. i was just wondering since the 360 can connect to all these other devices and stream stuff, if it was more capable of getting onto my network.

it should work, they need your MAc Address of your xbox, get that and send them an email telling them you have an xbox with this mac address and they will activate it on their systems.

[quote name='tearofangst']it should work, they need your MAc Address of your xbox, get that and send them an email telling them you have an xbox with this mac address and they will activate it on their systems.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. That's what I had to do at my school, and all they did was set up an exception for my Xbox's MAC address.

[quote name='tearofangst']it should work, they need your MAc Address of your xbox, get that and send them an email telling them you have an xbox with this mac address and they will activate it on their systems.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least that's how it would work, but I'm fairly confident that those in charge of the campus network would deem an x-box to be an inaproriate use of the network and deny your request.

Bingo. That's what I had to do at my school, and all they did was set up an exception for my Xbox's MAC address.

so there's no way of doing it without the person in charge of the network allowing it? because i'm pretty sure they wouldn't.

At UNL, we just had to fill out a form online, and then they would allow the MAC address to go online, regardless of Xbox, PS2, PDA, etc. Hell, I had to register my PSP.

Go to resnet.xxx.edu where "xxx" is your schools acronym (Mine, University of Nebraska - UNL, or UCI, etc.) and see if they have a form you can fill out, or at least find a phone number to call and ask about an xbox.

You might want to try this also. In the XBox's network settings mode there is a place to mask/change your XBox's MAC address. Go into there and change your MAC address of your XBox to match the MAC address of your computer, which you should have gotten when you registered your computer to work on their network. Although I'm not sure of the 360's capability compared to the XBox but I'm assuming that they would have similar capabilites.

[quote name='minqqq']well i haven't been able to play my consoles online at school because they use Resnet, and so every machine that wants to access the internet has to be registered to the network. so will the 360 be any different from my xbox in trying to connect to the network? any insight would be great, thanks.[/QUOTE]

My school uses Resnet as well and you are able to play Xbox live but it tends to drop you a lot and you'll need to use a router to get your Xbox/Xbox 360 online. Also just recently they started to count Xbox live gaming against your upload/download limit so you might end up losing your internet for a few days. All and all the experience has been pretty good.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You might want to try this also. In the XBox's network settings mode there is a place to mask/change your XBox's MAC address. Go into there and change your MAC address of your XBox to match the MAC address of your computer, which you should have gotten when you registered your computer to work on their network. Although I'm not sure of the 360's capability compared to the XBox but I'm assuming that they would have similar capabilites.[/QUOTE]

This should also work, you may need to change some of your settings like your IP to be figured automatically. If you can't connect, you may try putting everythign in manually straight from your pc. I had to do that too for a while (as a freshman). Just don't have your pc on and connected to the internet at the same time as your xbox if you do use the same MAC and IP address stuff.

my school just blocks the ports that live uses. no way of ever getting xbox live on our network. We just got cable internet, problem solved. It depends on the school and their capacity. Our school sucks for internet. We were told that we were using 33 times as much bandwidth as anyone else for the brief period we were able to play xbox live and XBConnect on our campus network..

What I did to get on live was to register my router as a new device on the network, and get the name of the router. I then put that name in the host name on Xbox live and connected via the router.

Here at ISU, they don't allow routers/hubs, but they do allow Xbox Live and PS2 online. All I neded to do was buy a PCI card for my PC, so I could share my connection between Live and my PC. (We have Resnet too.) I didn't have to fill out any forms or tell them or anything.

Could always just tell them the Xbox is another PC you own (not really a lie) and register it like you would another computer.

daroga

bread's done
Back