Will games look bad on my SDTV?

savestheday888

CAGiversary!
I keep hearing that the games aren't going to look that good on my SDTV, is there any validity to that? I understand that HDTVs are amazing, and the games will look sweet running on them, but they should still look "next-gen" on my regular TV, right? It kind of pisses me off that all of the sudden all these Xbox 360 game reviews keep saying, "If you don't have an HDTV, the experience just isn't as good." If that's true, then I'd like to thank Microsoft for making it so certain hardcore gamers can't get the full gaming experience, because they can't afford a new TV. I do have a component hook-up, HAHA! I'm going to buy an HDTV eventually, I just don't have the money right now.

I was at my friends house today and he was playing Kameo on his regular old 4:3 non-HDTV, and it looked wierd. It looked stretched out, and.... unclean.. if that makes sense. I mean it didn't look bad, but it looked... I dunno, different. Then again, he was playing on a reeeeeally old TV.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I was at my friends house today and he was playing Kameo on his regular old 4:3 non-HDTV, and it looked wierd. It looked stretched out, and.... unclean.. if that makes sense. I mean it didn't look bad, but it looked... I dunno, different. Then again, he was playing on a reeeeeally old TV.[/QUOTE]

He got a 360 already?

[quote name='CrimGhost']http://www.gamespot.com/features/6139690/p-2.html[/QUOTE]

I was talking to a guy at BB about how people were gonna be pissed when they get the system home and throw it on their old tv after playing on all these kiosk everywhere with the fancy displays. Not a huge difference but enough to piss you off and make you wanna finally step forward in tvs.

I been saving for a 360, 5.1 surround sound system & LCD TV.. back since E3...

once everything is done with... it's close to A $2000 adding everything up and a few games.. yes it's quite an investment..

I

I'm on the verge on buying a Samsung DLP HDTV, but I'm waiting to see how good or bad the Xbox 360 is going to look on my 34" 4:3 SDTV first. I just hate spending $2000+ on something that is only going to further enable my laziness.

[quote name='$hady']I was talking to a guy at BB about how people were gonna be pissed when they get the system home and throw it on their old tv after playing on all these kiosk everywhere with the fancy displays. Not a huge difference but enough to piss you off and make you wanna finally step forward in tvs.[/QUOTE]

My first question to people playing the demo kiosks when they say they are considering it is if they an HD capable set. To be honest I don't try to oversale/push anyone on the console at this point because it's not going to do much good sales wise. The systems we get in will be gone in the blink of an eye no matter what I tell the average customer, so if they ask the question of whether or not it will look that good at home and they don't have HDTV I tell them straight up no. Probably not the best salesmanship or whatever but it's not like I get a commission. I'd rather give an honest answer than have a half dozen customers come and yell at me for misleading them.

I have a widescreen LCD TV. If I hook up my Xbox 360 via component cables (the ones it comes with) next week it will only run in 480p right?

This whole entire thing is misleading, especially that GameSpot feature. Of course HDTV is going to blow SDTV away when you are looking at the screen so close. But if you're sitting in a chair, just playing a game, you won't notice as big a difference.

Xbox 360 games on SDTV's will still look very good.

Xbox 360 games on HDTV's will look pants wettingly great.

Think of it this way. Have you played Resident Evil 4 or Forza Motorsport on a regular, SDTV? I have, and both of them looked great. So why would Xbox 360 games not look better? Sure, EVERYTHING looks better in HD, but if you do have a regular, Standard Definition television, you'll still be pleased with the graphics, you just won't get the incredibly AA'ed models and super detailed textures.

I saw a side by side comparison of Kameo, between HD and SD, and the only differences I could notice was that the SD version's grass textures weren't as detailed, and the colors weren't as vibrant. But it still looked great.

As an owner of a 27 inch SDTV, I am not worried at all about my Xbox 360 purchase. Of course, I'll soon start saving for an HD set, but I'm not big into super detailed graphics anyways.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']This whole entire thing is misleading, especially that GameSpot feature. Of course HDTV is going to blow SDTV away when you are looking at the screen so close. But if you're sitting in a chair, just playing a game, you won't notice as big a difference.

Xbox 360 games on SDTV's will still look very good.

Xbox 360 games on HDTV's will look pants wettingly great.

Think of it this way. Have you played Resident Evil 4 or Forza Motorsport on a regular, SDTV? I have, and both of them looked great. So why would Xbox 360 games not look better? Sure, EVERYTHING looks better in HD, but if you do have a regular, Standard Definition television, you'll still be pleased with the graphics, you just won't get the incredibly AA'ed models and super detailed textures.

I saw a side by side comparison of Kameo, between HD and SD, and the only differences I could notice was that the SD version's grass textures weren't as detailed, and the colors weren't as vibrant. But it still looked great.

As an owner of a 27 inch SDTV, I am not worried at all about my Xbox 360 purchase. Of course, I'll soon start saving for an HD set, but I'm not big into super detailed graphics anyways.[/QUOTE]

I don't know dude, I think what people are saying is that since it's meant for widescreen HDTV's that it's actually looking odd on standard tvs. Resident Evil 4 wasn't in HD was it, and it also was fake widescreen on the GCN.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I don't know dude, I think what people are saying is that since it's meant for widescreen HDTV's that it's actually looking odd on standard tvs. Resident Evil 4 wasn't in HD was it, and it also was fake widescreen on the GCN.[/QUOTE]

It won't be a big deal. If fullscreen DVD's don't look bad when they are downscaled, 360 games won't either.

bread's done
Back