Will Gamestop take in a non working PS3?

Guy Legend

CAGiversary!
My PS3 80gb with backwards compatibility just bit the dust (flashing red light). Will Gamestop take a nonworking system and any idea on how much I can expect to get?

Deciding whether or not to buy a new system or send it in for repairs....

Last edited by a moderator:
you probably can but they'd give you much less for it so if they originaly would give you 200 for it they'd probably give you 75

From what I remember, they do. I took in a nonworking ps2 a few years back, they just took a a lot off of the price. I can't say for certain whether or not they still do, however.

Take it apart and do the hot hair dryer or heat gun trick. You can find tons of videos on Youtube. When it's working take that mutha into Gamestop for a full value trade. :bouncy:

edit: If you're going to send it in for repairs try Gophermods, they do a nice job. You get your system back working for half the price of Sony's scam repair.

http://www.gophermods.com/

I just wanted to chime in and share my experience with Gophermods. I sent my 60gb to them in late August for a YLOD repair.

They did a reflow on my system and shipped it back within 24 hours. They send instructions on how to break in the reflowed system. Basically for the first 200 hours you can play in 2 hour increments, and then need to give the system a 15 minute break. I have followed those instructions to the letter.

As of this weekend I am just getting to the end of the break-in period and having intermittent YLOD again. Gophermods is willing to reflow the system for me again without fee, but I see this as only a temporary solution.

Dont look at their repair as a permanant one. It will give you some more time with your PS3, but it will fail again. I may end up trading my 60gb in to get a slim because of this recurrent issue.

The only surefire fix is to have the system reballed with lead solder. I would love to find a trustworthy company that can do that repair.

[quote name='Rodster']Take it apart and do the hot hair dryer or heat gun trick. You can find tons of videos on Youtube. When it's working take that mutha into Gamestop for a full value trade. :bouncy:

[/QUOTE]

And then give the trouble to the person who buy it.

[quote name='luischav3z']And then give the trouble to the person who buy it.[/QUOTE]

But that person can take it back under gamestop warranty and get a new one.

[quote name='llamaguy']But that person can take it back under gamestop warranty and get a new one.[/QUOTE]

Would you prefer to get a fucked one up and then hassle to take it back to return it OR just get a working one at first.

and even doing that you would get as much. Trading in a used 250GB ps3 Slim the give you around $120

[quote name='luischav3z']Would you prefer to get a fucked one up and then hassle to take it back to return it OR just get a working one at first. [/QUOTE]

Well then you shouldn't be buying a used console from Gamestop.

Remember that it comes down to employee level. Some of them might not take it, or some of them might take it without even testing it.

[quote name='Survivalism']Well then you shouldn't be buying a used console from Gamestop.

[/QUOTE]

Ok people who do it are stupid.:drool:

And hey you could sell a fucked up console and get the $$ as if it was in working condition. So lets do it everyone.
Oh wait what is fraud?

[quote name='luischav3z']Ok people who do it are stupid.:drool:

And hey you could sell a fucked up console and get the $$ as if it was in working condition. So lets do it everyone.
Oh wait what is fraud?[/QUOTE]

Fraud:
Microsoft not doing a recall and not fixing the 3rrod in the apropiate way.( total system design overhaul from the begining)

Same thing as sony and YLOD.

bread's done
Back