Will GS ever clearance PS2 games as "last Gen"

reicaden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Just wondering, if just like PS1/N64 games were eventually clearanced as the new year moved in... and now that alot of new PS3's dont even have BC... will PS2 games eventually be "fire saled" off?

If you think they will, by when? how long did it take for PS1/N64 games to get knocked into the bargain bins and eliminated at 75% or whatever?

If I recall properly, they stopped taking PS1/N64 games in for trade around June of last year. When they hit the bargain bin I'm not so sure, but I'm going to go with, within 6-9 months after that.

PS2 systems are still selling strong, and I imagine software is too. I cant see such a move beginning before......2009 at the least. Maybe 2010.

Like the above poster said it is going to be awhile, you more likely to see more and more clearance stuff at retail stores first as the current gen systems library's grow.

There is still a HUGE market for the PS2. The system is selling so well that Sony is set to realease a new $99 model next year with a built in power supply.

The console is being repositioned as an entry level/kid game machine, with a emphasis placed on family and edutainment software.

I don't think the PS2 will be retired until 2009, at the earliest.

I concur with everyone else... the PS2 will be around for a while. Basically, it will die when either a) people stop buying it or b) the PS3 takes off, at which point Sony will slowly pull PS2 support.

Xbox and GC are no longer supported, even as ridiculous as not supporting the GC is for Nintendo. There's the difference. If the company stops, the market drops out.

The PS2 is Sony's cash cow right now, so I wouldn't expect a drop-out anytime soon.

[quote name='007']I concur with everyone else... the PS2 will be around for a while. Basically, it will die when either a) people stop buying it or b) the PS3 takes off, at which point Sony will slowly pull PS2 support.

Xbox and GC are no longer supported, even as ridiculous as not supporting the GC is for Nintendo. There's the difference. If the company stops, the market drops out.

The PS2 is Sony's cash cow right now, so I wouldn't expect a drop-out anytime soon.[/quote]

I really think nintendo is stupid for at least not re-printing thier own official gamecube games.. With the Wii being able to play them they will most likely sell better now then they did when the Gamecube was alive..

You'll probably see new games go on sale sooner (like CC's 8.96 sales) as stores will have less room for the games, but as far as a game retailer goes, don't expect PS2 stuff to start getting cheaper and clearanced out for a while.

At 75% off? Might not be until the launch of PS4. Even after Sony pull support for PS2, it will stick around a year or two due to so many people owning the system.

i really think the xbox items will get clearanced out much sooner, every EB and GS i go to have xbox games coming out of their ears.

geez, thats alot further then i was expecting... i was thinking by Xmas next year (december, 2008) we'd be seeing some 50% buy 1 g 1 free on Xbox/PS2 games, and such.

But it seems almost everyone is agreeing 2010 is the earliest these clearances will hit. Guess i got a long wait ahead of me, lol

[quote name='reicaden']i was thinking by Xmas next year (december, 2008) we'd be seeing some 50% buy 1 g 1 free on Xbox/PS2 games, and such.
[/QUOTE]

GS/EB has already ran 50% off xbox 1 games a few times. they literally have xbox1 games coming out of their ears.

but the ps2 is still going strong.

Ya there are many ps2 games I would like to pick up, but I keep waiting for a b1g1 or 50% sale. Since it doesn't seem like their stock is dwindling I will continue waiting.

currently, gamestop is clearancing out gamecube and xbox1 games to make room for xbox 360 and wii titles. there's still some life left in the ps2, so those are going to stick around a little longer, especially for everyone that's buying ps2's right now because they don't have the money to purchase ps3's.

My store's one of the busiest in the district, and our two biggest sellers (games-wise) are PS2 and 360. There's still some games coming out for it in 2008, although it's trickling to a halt; but GS, from a business perspective, would be stupid to drop discounts on the PS2 while it's still going to go full steam ahead for the next couple years.

Well, for starters, it has to stop being the most popular system first... Of course the fire sale will eventually happen, but that honestly probably won't happen until the NEXT gen is either out or about to come out. Xbox/Gamecube will happen far sooner.

The PS2 I don't think will be fire-saled for a long while....besides most people in my area are wanting PS2 games over 360/Wii games. They don't have the current-gen systems at all (can't tell you how many times I go to the stores I go to regularly and hear questions about the Wii).

Gamecube I don't think will also be firesaled because Gamestop seems to overprice their used copies of Gamecube games, especially the Mario/Zelda/more rare titles (Ikauraga, Pikmin 2, etc). X-Box games I imagine will get the treatment save for a few (like Halo 2 or something).

[quote name='Derrick1979']I really think nintendo is stupid for at least not re-printing thier own official gamecube games.. With the Wii being able to play them they will most likely sell better now then they did when the Gamecube was alive..[/quote]

Same here. Or, for that matter, making some accessories. Namely Wavebirds. I bet the could redesign the Wavebird and make the receiver a little bit smaller and a better fit on the Wii. It is old tech, and relatively cheap. Then, mark it at a decent price, say $25. I think they could make a good amount of money off of it. They might not want it to compete with the classic controller, which is why I'm guessing they aren't making them anymore, but come on, the Wii is big enough now that it can support a ton of accessories.

Gamestop doesn't clearance their games. The new ones that don't sell will be moved into the used category and you might see a buy 2 get one free sale. I could see a special promotion specific to last gen product only if they were looking to make room.

bread's done
Back