Will Smith says NO to Scientology.

becuzimbrown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
http://www.usmagazine.com/node/13674

Will Smith may have studied Scientology with pal Tom Cruise, but he says his faith rests in his own spirituality.

"I don't necessarily believe in organized religion," Smith, 39, said when asked about Scientology Friday at a junket for his upcoming film I Am Legend.

"I love my God, my higher power, but it is mine and mine alone, and I create my connection, and I decide how my connection is going to be," he added.

Describing himself as a "student of world religions," Smith — who was raised a Baptist — said: "I believe that my connection to my higher power is separate from everybody's.

"I don’t believe that the Muslims have all the answers and all the beliefs. I don’t believe the Christians have all the answers and beliefs, or that the Jews have all the answers."

That was a close one.

Now if only he'd so no to his agent. Also, I heard he's gonna upload a virus into the Scientology databases with his Mac to shut them down.

[quote name='Maklershed']Now if only he'd so no to his agent. Also, I heard he's gonna upload a virus into the Scientology databases with his Mac to shut them down.[/quote]

Thank god Scientology uses the same OS!!!

Now if he could just run in and save Jason Lee

[quote name='rodeojones903']That is the most disappointing one of all.[/QUOTE]
Him and Beck, I'd say.

Yeah.

Beck was born into it, so I'm not sure if he's really in to it.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah.

Beck was born into it, so I'm not sure if he's really in to it.[/quote]

[quote name='Mojimbo']I think Beck was born into it, so it wasn't really up to him as much.[/quote]

Ahh. I wasnt aware it was around that long.

Do you ever play your that triple, Brax? I was thinking of picking up Resistance or Warhawk but absolutely no one(from our group, at least) plays that online. Even dallow I've only seen Folding @ Home.

I totally respect Will Smith more. I have the same beliefs on religion. My religion is my own and my beliefs are my own. They may overlap here and there with certain religions but I don't fall into some category.

[quote name='HotShotX']Thank God, I can still respect him as an actor :)

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? If so, then that's pretty dumb, to base respect for one's acting ability on their religion.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Are you serious? If so, then that's pretty dumb, to base respect for one's acting ability on their religion.[/quote]

Same goes for Tom Cruise; he may have a crazy life if you follow up on celebrity media stalkers but he's still a respectable actor .

[quote name='Brak']Yeah.

Beck was born into it, so I'm not sure if he's really in to it.[/QUOTE]

So THAT'S why he did Alvin & The Chipmunks and Wonderdog. It's a conspiracy to assimilate the children.

Now Beckham needs to tell Cruise to fuck off as well.

[quote name='dastly75']Same goes for Tom Cruise; he may have a crazy life if you follow up on celebrity media stalkers but he's still a respectable actor .[/quote]

It just sucks seeing a guy do movies like MI3, Last Samurai and Collatoral and then everywhere else he's a fucking loon.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']It just sucks seeing a guy do movies like MI3, Last Samurai and Collatoral and then everywhere else he's a fucking loon.[/QUOTE]

No one is forcing you to keep tabs in his off-screen life.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No one is forcing you to keep tabs in his off-screen life.[/quote]

Not saying they are. But when you live in a culture that feeds off of shit like that, you get exposed to it anyways. When its about Tom Cruise, you can't escape anywhere (Youtube, funny or die, South Park...)

To "talk right down to Earth, in a language that everyone here can easily understand", it's like Will knows that you can own a Wii and play that Wii, but by doing so, you can still own and play other systems, and not become a zealot in the process. Good for him.

And with that, the campaign for the 2008 CAG Villain kicks off! It's really weird, having your biggest hater(s) be your biggest campaigner(s), let me tell you.

P.S. I've always found Cruise crazy. It's that slightly unhinged gleam in his eye that made him the kind of actor that people actually care about enough to obsess over his personal beliefs. If and when he gets back to making quality movies, I will be glad to patronize them. He's a kook, and possibly/probably a closet gay (a repression that may contribute heavily to that barely suppressed intensity he has), but as far as I can tell, he hasn't broken any laws or done anything so unethical that it warrants contempt. Well, besides somehow forcing Katie Holmes into that debacle of a life. Somehow I get the impression that it really wasn't presented as a 'choice' for her.

[quote name='jollydwarf']To "talk right down to Earth, in a language that everyone here can easily understand", it's like Will knows that you can own a Wii and play that Wii, but by doing so, you can still own and play other systems, and not become a zealot in the process. Good for him.

And with that, the campaign for the 2008 CAG Villain kicks off! It's really weird, having your biggest hater(s) be your biggest campaigner(s), let me tell you.
[/quote]

The words are English but it might as well be another language.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No one is forcing you to keep tabs in his off-screen life.[/QUOTE]

It's damn hard to avoid, even the morning "News" has more celebrity gossip than real news, not to mention the fact that we all clearly have an internet connection. You must live in a cave or commune if you really think that's a possibility, I'll be damned if I have to use earmuffs to avoid every day life.

But the real issue here is the wacky Scientologists.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Shit, man. I've still never seen the video of Tom Cruise on Oprah.

It's not that hard.[/quote]

WOW. What else haven't you seen?

Theres a hilarious video of Tom Cruise called 2girls1cup.

jk

its bs hes one of them. the movie company hes with made him openly deny being a part of it not too long ago over a fear that hed be stygmatized the way tom cruise was. plenty of people in hollywood deny being one thing while practicing it in private.............

[quote name='Maklershed']Ahh. I wasnt aware it was around that long.[/quote]

Dude, it was started in 1953 by L. Ron Hubbard - a science fiction author.

Why do we ostracize people for being scientologists anyways? I understand that supposedly Rob Hubbard created as a way to circumvent being taxed (wasn't he quoted as saying that creating a religion is the best way to make money or something along those lines?). But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?

[quote name='Maklershed']WTF? Is that supposed to be common knowledge or something?[/quote]

Kinda yeah. The only reason it's been getting a lot of press lately is thanks to Tom Cruise's antics.

[quote name='sailorchrono']Why do we ostracize people for being scientologists anyways? I understand that supposedly Rob Hubbard created as a way to circumvent being taxed (wasn't he quoted as saying that creating a religion is the best way to make money or something along those lines?). But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?[/quote]

It's more than that. It's the fact that Scientology has been historically known to harass ex-members & their families as well as running disinformation campaigns to legitimize their strong-arm gestapo tactics known as 'Fair Game'.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']WOW. What else haven't you seen?

Theres a hilarious video of Tom Cruise called 2girls1cup.

jk
[/QUOTE]

See, I've seen most of the stupid popular internets videos. I'm all over 4chan and SA, I know all the memes and shock videos and all that crap.

But I simply choose to not watch videos of religious fanatics flipping out. Not interesting or funny to me.

[quote name='sailorchrono']Why do we ostracize people for being scientologists anyways? I understand that supposedly Rob Hubbard created as a way to circumvent being taxed (wasn't he quoted as saying that creating a religion is the best way to make money or something along those lines?). But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?[/QUOTE]

Especially considering its one of the less far fetched religions out there too. *cough* catholics *cough*.

But yea, who cares what religion an actor is. If I enjoy someones movies I really dont care what they do with their personal life. Most (if not all) actors are complete scum of the earth anyways. The fact that they have a religion at all is probably the best aspect of their life.

But to base whether you watch their movies or not on their religion, or other beliefs is dumb. Mel Gibson can hate all the Jewish people in the world and I would still like to see him in another action movie.

[quote name='sailorchrono']Why do we ostracize people for being scientologists anyways? I understand that supposedly Rob Hubbard created as a way to circumvent being taxed (wasn't he quoted as saying that creating a religion is the best way to make money or something along those lines?). But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?[/QUOTE]

Scientology has a habit of suing lots of people for even the tiniest of things, charging members huge prices before they can learn anything, and generally being secretive in a very "we're hiding something" sort of way.

There's also the nasty aspect of several people turning up dead after they speak out against Scientology, during which law enforcement always passes it off as a suicide.

So it's a little bit of a different case with them, or such is the popular opinion.

[quote name='sailorchrono']Why do we ostracize people for being scientologists anyways? I understand that supposedly Rob Hubbard created as a way to circumvent being taxed (wasn't he quoted as saying that creating a religion is the best way to make money or something along those lines?). But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?[/quote]

I believe the same thing, but the "Religion" itself is one of extreme ignorance and manipulation of power and abuse of that power. It encourages its members to "Punish" those they feel have threatned them.

Example:

THE FAIR GAME POLICY

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex Remimeo
HCO Policy Letter of 18 October 1967
Issue IV

PENALTIES FOR LOWER CONDITIONS
(Applies both Orgs and Sea Org)

LIABILITY Suspension of pay and a dirty grey rag on left arm and day and
night confinement to org premises.

TREASON Suspension of pay and deprivation of all uniforms and insignia,
a black mark on left cheek and confinement on org premises or
dismissal from post and debarment from premises.

DOUBT Debarment from premises. Not to be employed. Payment of fine
amounting to any sum may have cost org. Not to be trained or
processed. Not to be communicated or argued with.

ENEMY SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured
by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the
Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed.

LRH:jp L. RON HUBBARD
Copyright (c) 1967 Founder
by L. Ron Hubbard

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Shit, man. I've still never seen the video of Tom Cruise on Oprah.

It's not that hard.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you've seen enough to know he's crazy though right? Who else would ZAP Oprah with lightning bolts?

[quote name='sailorchrono'] But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?[/quote]

Because if there is one thing history has proven about religious beliefs, it's the practice of tolerance...:roll:

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I'm assuming you've seen enough to know he's crazy though right? Who else would ZAP Oprah with lightning bolts?[/quote]

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4jo6KkFfIc&feature=related[/MEDIA]

[quote name='youbastards']Because if there is one thing history has proven about religious beliefs, it's the practice of tolerance...:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know... *sighs*. I'm just talking about this day and age, you would think we progressed just a bit :p But I realize now that Scientology seems more like a cult than anything.

Anyways, thanks for clearing that bit up for me, everyone. How is it that these celebrities keep getting suckered into such a scam?

[quote name='sailorchrono']

Anyways, thanks for clearing that bit up for me, everyone. How is it that these celebrities keep getting suckered into such a scam?[/quote]

robot-2-300.jpg

"And that Sailorchrono is the right question..."

[quote name='sailorchrono']Why do we ostracize people for being scientologists anyways? I understand that supposedly Rob Hubbard created as a way to circumvent being taxed (wasn't he quoted as saying that creating a religion is the best way to make money or something along those lines?). But aren't we supposed to be tolerant of whatever one wants to practice?[/quote]Personally i think all religions are nuts so this is just continuing that belief.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I'm assuming you've seen enough to know he's crazy though right? Who else would ZAP Oprah with lightning bolts?[/QUOTE]

But why would I care? He's just an actor. All I care about is if he's good in movies.

You go, Will Smith! :applause:

I'm a Christian myself, but I try not to get caught up with what churches are telling me to do. But really I'll do my best to respect almost any beliefs as long as it's not Scientology.

bread's done
Back