will this get me into Hollywood?

omega2

Banned
Greetings. I’m hoping to get into the film business and to that end I am assembling a showreel. I’ve got two pieces of video footage here, one showing me directly addressing the camera and the other acting out an absurd scene. I’d like your honest opinion on my efforts.

VIDEO 1 – A messege to all who have seen my earlier efforts

elderberry-critics.jpg

Video located here - http://rapidshare.de/files/1242871/messege.wmv.html

VIDEO 2 – A doll sheep bleats a plea to…well, you’ll see!

url]

Video located here - http://rapidshare.de/files/1242912/sheeep.wmv.html

I work in Hollywood as an Art Director and Prop Master and my first word of advice is to buy a microphone. Second, if you are serious about adding stuff to your reel, frame your shots better since you are trying to show you can act and are not just a talking head. Maybe take some acting lessons, if you are in school participate in a play or find your local theater productions that have open casting calls. I have worked with good actors, bad actors and even worse. Here you can view the trailer for one of the features I worked on just so you can see I do work in the industry.

http://www.shallowgroundmovie.com

If you have any other questions feel free to post or PM me.

Short answer: No.

I'm not exactly sure what type of role you are trying to break into with the film industry, but if you're looking for the more glorious positions of being a director, cinematographer, editor, producer, or something along those lines, I really don't see the potential. I assume that the video is an attempt at acting, but it really just comes off as some sort of creepy home narration/monologue.

If I'm correct in my assumption that you'd like to be an actor, you're not going to get to hollywood with those videos, for sure. First, you'll need to speak up; I know to you it's probably some device used as a quiet monologue, but I really just can't make out what you're saying unless my speakers are all the way up, and then I'm concentrating on what you're trying to say rather than how it's being said -- acting. Second, stop being creepy unless those are the roles you wish to portray; film a wide variety of mock scenes where you read lines from scripts, books, etc.

Sorry to be so harsh, but as a wanna-be director myself, I really don't think I'd cast you in a movie unless the part called for a hoarse, quiet, creepy guy talking to stuffed animals.

I'm not a film or talent expert, so this is just my opinion.

I'm not entirely certain what you want these videos to do for you. If they are supposed to show off your acting skills, I don't think they succeed, because both clips are very short and somewhat limited in what you are doing. The viewer never sees your body or anything but your facial expressions, which if fairly limiting. It would be impressive if just your face made an impression, but I don't think you did enough to accomplish this.

If the videos were meant to show off your video production or directing skills, then they were way[\I] to short and limited. There was absolutely no camera movement, and very little happening on screen. The first video was not particularly interesting, either in dialogue or in concept. The second video was kind of cute, but it wasn't entirely obvious what was going on.

I think that, if you want to use this to get a job, you should think about what you want it to accomplish, and try to highlight that part of it. I'm sure that people in Hollywood get videos like this all the time, and most aren't even watched. If you do get someone to see it, you should make sure they remember it by doing something interesting and memorable.

[quote name='Kayden']Don't take this the wrong way... but are you metrosexual?[/QUOTE]

metro what?

[quote name='2poor']metro what?[/QUOTE]

Metrosexual. Its a term to describe all those losers with short, spiked, frosted blonde hair that wear sweaters and shop at AB&F to look trendy... Tend to be kinda femmy.

In otherwords, 'queers' that have sex with women.

No offense to the OP... but... you look it.

If you were looking to get the critic's attention by mis-spelling message you did a great job.

I'm hoping to get to the moon. Will this take me there?

GC-01_small.jpg

[quote name='Kayden']Metrosexual. Its a term to describe all those losers with short, spiked, frosted blonde hair that wear sweaters and shop at AB&F to look trendy... Tend to be kinda femmy.

In otherwords, 'queers' that have sex with women.

No offense to the OP... but... you look it.[/QUOTE]

oh. i know what you're talking about. those gay guys that aren't gay, but they look gay so you just assume that they're gay. AB&F sucks. 5 shirts for $10 for life!

[quote name='omega2']Greetings. I’m hoping to get into the film business and to that end I am assembling a showreel. I’ve got two pieces of video footage here, one showing me directly addressing the camera and the other acting out an absurd scene. I’d like your honest opinion on my efforts.

VIDEO 1 – A messege to all who have seen my earlier efforts

elderberry-critics.jpg

Video located here - http://rapidshare.de/files/1242871/messege.wmv.html

VIDEO 2 – A doll sheep bleats a plea to…well, you’ll see!

url]

Video located here - http://rapidshare.de/files/1242912/sheeep.wmv.html[/QUOTE]
No.

come back for more have you omega, well your wasting your damn time, and now i know your here to piss us off so mods if you can i request this guy be dealt with, and omega, go back to gamefaqs, i need to beat jedi power battles

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. The dinosaur video made me want to reply with just "..." I suggest you to take time to come up with a good script for a 5 to 10 mins short film. These videos you've uploaded are nothing but a bunch of webcam home videos and they don't show what you can really do with a camera.

SOSTrooper, your reaction of '...' suggests real bafflement due to the odd nature of my style. Well, i say i'm glad as I don't want to produce stuff you can see anywhere else. I see myself alone, on a creative plane unlike anything else:bouncy:

Upload your short clips to www.ifilm.com and see what ratings ppl with give you. It's also a good way to share your clips with other independent film makers out there.

On the creative note. I can't say the clip of the dinosaur and the outdated film maker isn't creative - as I've never seen that idea before. But try to think outside the box, be creative in a more imaginative way. In a way that makes ppl go 'wow that was pretty damn good' or 'lol'. The only reason I said "..." was because it was disappointing to say the least.

thanks sos for your comments.

Hello, in my continuing efforts to understand video production I’ve attempted here to play two roles; one being a patient asking about a nose-job and two being the Dr you’ve seen me portray before.

Did you at any point believe the two were separate characters???

Oh, the video is here - http://rapidshare.de/files/1284313/duel.wmv.html

I want to put my hands on you in anger and only have violent intentions to ruin the rest of your life.

Also, a receding hairline at your age is the last thing that they are looking for in HollyWood.

WHY the hostilty JimmieMac??????????:cry: it's only harmless fun!!!!!

and my hairline is a widows peak!!!!!!!!!!!!!! entirely natural!!

You need a guy to hold the camera, at the very least. You reaching to click off the video dissconnects people from the scene.

im still having trouble trying to see your intentions with these videos, omega, and can you confirm whether or not your alpha2 as well

You reaching to click off the video dissconnects people from the scene.

or edit it out!;)

no i'm not alpha2 never heard of him. the intention is to see if i can make a home video that will suitably impress a studio exec' to the point of him hiring secondsd after seeing my 'masterpiece':applause:

[quote name='omega2']or edit it out!;)

no i'm not alpha2 never heard of him. the intention is to see if i can make a home video that will suitably impress a studio exec' to the point of him hiring secondsd after seeing my 'masterpiece':applause:[/QUOTE]

If you're honest about this then you are "one of them".

Like when you're watching American Idol and you see someone so God Awful that you can't understand how they ACTUALLY BELIEVE that they can win, but yet, there they are, singing "It's Raining Men" out of pitch and off beat.

You, if you are serious, have many many many more hours of training before you could even think about acting as a career.

Also, so far, your gimmick doesn't fill me with the desire to tune in next week to see what you're going to do next. You'll have to step it up a bit higher than shitty 2nd rate web cam videos to really make an impact here.

Also, so far, your gimmick doesn't fill me with the desire to tune in next week to see what you're going to do next

and neither do i get a sense of eagerness to read your next comment.

what was actually wrong with the material. i thought i played oddballs to perfection?!:bouncy:

I’m writing a script that requires a character to go into a mad fit of laughter, as no-one else wants to be in my videos I have to perform it myself (the character is a plastic surgeon). I just want to know if you find my attempt at a laughing fit is convincing????

Video is here - http://rapidshare.de/files/1294129/laugh.wmv.html

I’m writing a script that requires a character to go into a mad fit of laughter, as no-one else wants to be in my videos I have to perform it myself (the character is a plastic surgeon). I just want to know if you find my attempt at a laughing fit is convincing????

bread's done
Back