Will we ever see a new 'Street Fighter'?

Fatesealer

CAGiversary!
SFA Collection... Capcom Fighting Generation... Capcom vs SNK 2... those games feature old games or old characters put into 'compilations'... do you think Capcom will ever decide to put out a brand new fighting game that doesn't feature the same character animation art we've seen for the last 10 years? Any hope for a new fighting game with some (even a little) variation in character costume choices for old favorites? (not to complain or anything, but Ryu has worn that same gi in every iteration of SF and beyond. At least Terry Bogard gave us a new getup when he appeared in Mark of the Garou).

Capcom has recently stated they were no longer doing 2D fighters. From this point on expect only 3D fighters if it's new at all.

[quote name='Alpha2']Capcom has recently stated they were no longer doing 2D fighters. From this point on expect only 3D fighters if it's new at all.[/quote]

I am pretty sure they are making a CAPCOM vs. SAMMY game

the best street fighter game is 3rd strike and all the mixed games were ok but were really the same thing.

[quote name='2poor']the best street fighter game is 3rd strike and all the mixed games were ok but were really the same thing.[/quote]

Are you trying to tell me that MvC and CvS play similarly? :roll:

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Alpha2']Capcom has recently stated they were no longer doing 2D fighters. From this point on expect only 3D fighters if it's new at all.[/quote]

I am pretty sure they are making a CAPCOM vs. SAMMY game[/quote]

Like I stated in an earlier post, the best two versus games were Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2. There's milking it, and then there's beating a dead horse. All Sammy really has is the Guilty Gear series... can we just not make this game period and just let it be a pipe dream or fanboy wish? Can we let some things not become reality? I'm having this feeling we will see a Soul Calibur vs Tekken vs SF vs Mortal Kombat... and when that occurs, I know the gaming industry has truly lost me...

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Alpha2']Capcom has recently stated they were no longer doing 2D fighters. From this point on expect only 3D fighters if it's new at all.[/quote]

Like I stated in an earlier post, the best two versus games were Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2. There's milking it, and then there's beating a dead horse. All Sammy really has is the Guilty Gear series... can we just not make this game period and just let it be a pipe dream or fanboy wish? Can we let some things not become reality? I'm having this feeling we will see a Soul Calibur vs Tekken vs SF vs Mortal Kombat... and when that occurs, I know the gaming industry has truly lost me...[/quote]

Ah, actually, Sammy has access to all of Sega's properties now, don't they? Capcom vs. Sammy could very well end up Fighters Megamix 2, in theory.

Meanwhile, in the darkest trenches of EA's development studios, 3 witches are tossing random shit into a foggy pot, hoping to somehow find the unknown recipe for their upcoming Marvel Vs EA fighting game.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='2poor']the best street fighter game is 3rd strike and all the mixed games were ok but were really the same thing.[/quote]

Are you trying to tell me that MvC and CvS play similarly? :roll:[/quote]

no because MvC plays a lot faster than CvS. And the controls for both are way different, but like CvS and SvC... was it really nessesary?

[quote name='2poor'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='2poor']the best street fighter game is 3rd strike and all the mixed games were ok but were really the same thing.[/quote]

Are you trying to tell me that MvC and CvS play similarly? :roll:[/quote]

no because MvC plays a lot faster than CvS. And the controls for both are way different, but like CvS and SvC... was it really nessesary?[/quote]

SvC certainly wasn't necessary, but the fault of that doesn't lie with Capcom. SNK made that stinker simply because they had the license to do so. But you are most certainly correct in saying that 3rd Strike is the best SF.

that game was incredible hard to find for my dreamcast , but i finaly got it used for like 20 bucks

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Alpha2']Capcom has recently stated they were no longer doing 2D fighters. From this point on expect only 3D fighters if it's new at all.[/quote]

Like I stated in an earlier post, the best two versus games were Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2. There's milking it, and then there's beating a dead horse. All Sammy really has is the Guilty Gear series... can we just not make this game period and just let it be a pipe dream or fanboy wish? Can we let some things not become reality? I'm having this feeling we will see a Soul Calibur vs Tekken vs SF vs Mortal Kombat... and when that occurs, I know the gaming industry has truly lost me...[/quote]

Ah, actually, Sammy has access to all of Sega's properties now, don't they? Capcom vs. Sammy could very well end up Fighters Megamix 2, in theory.[/quote]

not to mention that they are pretty strong business allies with SNKP.

another benefit will be that CAPCOM will finally have to redraw its sprites

there's a lot of new fighting game that come out,

like the Rumble Fish.

they do not really need to make a new street fighter,

people still play the old ones, and as long as competition is there it will never die.

if they made a new street fighter, ppl may play it then get bored, and go back to playing the old street fighters.

I mean, they are making a Tekken 5 now but most people play Tag... and if they made a Tekken 6, Tag will still be the most popular of the series

If SF goes 3d only it will be the death of the series. SF is popular because it is 2d.

And since fighters are a dying genre don't expect much innovation or effort. There isn't a whole lot of money in fighters so why make something new when you can rehash the old and still make some $$?

http://www.news0r.com/index.php?s=Noritaka+Funamizu&submit.x=13&submit.y=4

Saturday, June 26
Street Fighter Creator Leaves Capcom {General News}

Noritaka Funamizu, the creator of Capcom's legendary 2D fighting series Street Fighter has left Capcom to begin his own games studio. Funamizu's credits also include recent Capcom classics such as Resident Evil Outbreak and Monster Hunter, but it seems that the 2D fighting scene is where he belongs.

Capcom announced that after Capcom Fighting Jam they will not produce any more 2D fighting games, and perhaps it is this which has led for Funamizu to decide to leave. Currently, his new company Craft and Meister have no games in development, and are looking for more recruits. It'll be interesting to see what they produce.

posted by Electric Boogaloo on 26/06/2004 at 21:28:20

I would love Street Fighter 4 (2d of course). That would be great. They are so much fun and challening with creating strategies, etc.

As has been said, Capcom sold the rights to Street Fighter to Capcom USA.

It's funny to think about that; the series that really put Capcom on the map, and...they whore it out to the branch that made the wretched "Final Fight Revenge."

As I've heard on other forums, Capcom recently polled about what people would like to see in another Street Fighter. One of the questions?

"Would you like to see celebrities in a fighting game?"

It's an uncomfortable thought; I'd rather see no new Street Fighter at all than, say...

Hyper Super Street Fighter 4: Totally Wicked Dee Jay Edition

Object of the game? Play as Dee Jay. And Dee Jay only. And meet up with Van Damme. Then fight the corpse of Raul Julia.

Because that's something Capcom of America would likely do.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']another benefit will be that CAPCOM will finally have to redraw its sprites[/quote]

fuckin' Aye. Bout time we get some high res sprites from Capcom.

I was in this focus group for Capsom last Spring, and everyone agreed 2D is what they want from Capcom. Even though people mentioned Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter as awesome fighters.

Everyone made fun of EA, cause well, they diserve it(That celebrity question was asked). It SEEMED like they were pooling for ideas on what is wanted of a new Street Fighter, though SF Anniversary was also a big part of the thing. I'm hoping they take the considerations we made seriously, like more original character art (ala Guilty Gear), online play, more custmisation, etc.

Okay, I followed the link and all but I am still confused to the whole, "Capcom JP sold the SF rights to Capcom USA." Isn't Capcom USA a subsidiary of Capcom JP? How and why would a parent company sell anything to its subsidiary? It is all the same company, right? Or is Capcom USA its own entity? That makes not a lick of sense.

Regardless, they should make another SF 2d game. The series has always done well and it is one of few properties that Capcom has that is still popular. Thank god the KOF series is still around or I would go crazy.

It has been a really long time since we have seen a great CAPCOM fighter, so I am happy that we are going to see some new blood brought in for the next Street Fighter. They may not do the best job, but I bet they do a better job at making a decent game than CAPCOM JP would have done.

I want to see a SF where RYU is finally a master and is the boss of the game. The guy does nothing but wander the earth and fight - he should be the best by now. He should not be wearing a shirt and have a beard or goatee. And no stupid bandana either.

And get rid of Akuma. I always hated him - he comes out of nowhere and is somehow the best fighter - in multiple games - even though he always gets his ass kicked.

And no more cheap mega, super, god characters that KO you in 3 hits.

[quote name='valor19']Okay, I followed the link and all but I am still confused to the whole, "Capcom JP sold the SF rights to Capcom USA." Isn't Capcom USA a subsidiary of Capcom JP? How and why would a parent company sell anything to its subsidiary? It is all the same company, right? Or is Capcom USA its own entity? That makes not a lick of sense.
[/quote]from the Capcom site:
"Capcom USA., Inc. (US) is a holding company of our US and UK subsidiaries"
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/business.html

the use of the word 'company' suggests that they were separate entities

sorta happened with Sega, CRI owned AM2, but sold then to Sega. At one point they were even called "AM2 of CRI"

[quote name='Richter'][quote name='valor19']Okay, I followed the link and all but I am still confused to the whole, "Capcom JP sold the SF rights to Capcom USA." Isn't Capcom USA a subsidiary of Capcom JP? How and why would a parent company sell anything to its subsidiary? It is all the same company, right? Or is Capcom USA its own entity? That makes not a lick of sense.
[/quote]from the Capcom site:
"Capcom USA., Inc. (US) is a holding company of our US and UK subsidiaries"
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/business.html

the use of the word 'company' suggests that they were separate entities

sorta happened with Sega, CRI owned AM2, but sold then to Sega. At one point they were even called "AM2 of CRI"[/quote]

I am still confused. Somebody hold me. :cry:

[quote name='valor19']Okay, I followed the link and all but I am still confused to the whole, "Capcom JP sold the SF rights to Capcom USA." Isn't Capcom USA a subsidiary of Capcom JP? How and why would a parent company sell anything to its subsidiary? It is all the same company, right? Or is Capcom USA its own entity? That makes not a lick of sense.

Regardless, they should make another SF 2d game. The series has always done well and it is one of few properties that Capcom has that is still popular. Thank god the KOF series is still around or I would go crazy.[/quote]

It's just a legal formality, giving the US folks the power to do stuff with the SF franchise without putting up with micromanagement from afar. another way of saying, succeed or fail, you guys are on your own and we'll keep our distance.

[quote name='Scrubking']I want to see a SF where RYU is finally a master and is the boss of the game. The guy does nothing but wander the earth and fight - he should be the best by now. He should not be wearing a shirt and have a beard or goatee. And no stupid bandana either.

And get rid of Akuma. I always hated him - he comes out of nowhere and is somehow the best fighter - in multiple games - even though he always gets his ass kicked.

And no more cheap mega, super, god characters that KO you in 3 hits.[/quote]

I never though of that but that would be bad ass. Ryu as the boss. I'm always all for 2d fighting games and it would be kinda cool to actually see sprites of Mike Tyson instead of Balrog and what have you, throw in a Chuck Liddell then you got my money. I highly doubt that Capcom will ever stop with the 2d fighting games. They just need to overhaul everything, including the story lines. Enough with "the fight is the only thing that matters" stuff. Shake shit up a bit. Have Ryu kill Akuma, Guile and Bison join forces and throw in Terry Bogard in a Street Fighter game and fued him with Ken. Now you got a fighting game.

[quote name='emceelokey'][quote name='Scrubking']I want to see a SF where RYU is finally a master and is the boss of the game. The guy does nothing but wander the earth and fight - he should be the best by now. He should not be wearing a shirt and have a beard or goatee. And no stupid bandana either.

And no more cheap mega, super, god characters that KO you in 3 hits.[/quote]

I never though of that but that would be bad ass. Ryu as the boss. I'm always all for 2d fighting games and it would be kinda cool to actually see sprites of Mike Tyson instead of Balrog and what have you, throw in a Chuck Liddell then you got my money. I highly doubt that Capcom will ever stop with the 2d fighting games. They just need to overhaul everything, including the story lines. Enough with "the fight is the only thing that matters" stuff. Shake shit up a bit. Have Ryu kill Akuma, Guile and Bison join forces and throw in Terry Bogard in a Street Fighter game and fued him with Ken. Now you got a fighting game.[/quote]

yes... one that will never exist. :p

bread's done
Back