Will you buy Kinect?

dmaul1114

Banned
The other thread got me curious about level of interest by the factors listed in the poll, as the key questions I see to it's success (aside from pricing, games etc.) are:

1. Will people who already own a Wii invest in more motion control stuff?
2. Do 360 owners who haven't bought a Wii have any interest in motion control stuff?

Or more simply do 360 owners without Wii give a crap about motion control, and do Wii owners like it enough to drop the money to play motion control games (many the same or very similar to existing Wii games) on the 360?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on how it is :) I have a wii, but want something for my 4 year old. I am going to let her play this at my bro in laws, and see how she does.

I'm kind of between the 1st and 2nd choice. I HAD a Wii. And while I admit I had a good time with it when I used it, before their last price drop (so, maybe 6-8 months ago?) I felt like the well for good games was prettyyy dry. I do miss it sometimes, if only for the party games when people are over, but my apartment is now too small and my TV too nice for me to want people flailing around like idiots in front of it.

Well, from early results the answer to number 2 is a no. Doesn't seem that 360 owners who don't have a Wii have any interest in it. Which makes sense, if you were into casual games and/or motion controls you'd have a Wii by now given it's price and success.

Answer to 1 is mixed. A few Wii owners said no, the others are on the fence, none have said definitely yes yet.

I am waiting for a confirmed price, and I want to see how it is first. If it's too complicated, and if the library for it sucks... I don't want to waste money, my daughter loves her DS

I was shopping at Kmart and electronics clerk told me frankly that he thinks the Kinect is a stupid idea from Microsoft. Given the price Microsoft is asking for it, I tend to agree with him.

I wouldn't touch it even if I didn't have a Wii as I would be willing to bet there wouldn't be a game on there that I would tire of in a couple hours. Not to mention the idea of controlling a game with your body for anything longer than half an hour at a time is just downright retarded.

Having .5-.7 delay in controls? No thanks. Kinect/Move and motion plus are all shit.

I was looking forward to messing around in the dash with one if it was 60 or lower but $150 lol.

Already have a wii if I want to waggle game, plus it wouldn't be that fun playing on a 21 inch screen. Would love to have one to mess around with, but the $150 price of admission + having to pay the price they want for games for it kill it. Might still get it if I end up needing a new xbox and a new 250gb is bundled with Kinect and a few games at a reasonable price, but thats about the only way I would buy it.

I voted "Definitely won't buy--already have a Wii", but that decision has nothing to do with having a Wii. I'm not buying it because it is $150, not because I already have a motion control console.

I predict this will be a massive flop for MS. I already have a Wii and if it wasn't for homebrew it would just collect dust as I'm just not interested in the games, and I'm getting the same impression from Kinect.

-CJ

When they first showed it off last year I thought it looked interesting. After seeing the games they have for it I realize the technology is kind of neat, but its not suitable for video games. I think they may have got caught up in the concept without realizing you cant really make fun games using the tech.

$150 for the webcam and $60 for each "game" is a joke. I am not saying it wont sell at that price point but not a chance I would. I will wait a year for it to fail and then pick it up for $30 or so just so I can fast-forward and pause movies Im watching on my 360.

Not planning on buying the Kinect until it hits the 50$ mark. I already own a wii but i'm more a hardcore gamer, not really into motion controls.

At the moment, I'm not planning on buying it until it becomes cheaper at least. However, that may change if they seem to have some good stuff for my kids. I honestly haven't really looked at the launch titles much.

I say on the fence, only because I haven't seen a single "Must Have" title for it. Same with Playstation Move. Mini game collections hold zero interest for me. I know I'll get both eventually (price drop, killer ap, etc). but for now, no.

i have a wii and i've been quite happy with it, but even if i didn't, if that $150 price ends up being true, i would go out and buy a wii over the kinect anyway if i was concerned about motion games

wii (complete system): $199
extra controllers for player 2: $70 or less (wiimote,motion+,nunchuck)
2 games: included
online play: included

kinect: $149
games: $60
xbl: $50

no.. doesn't make any sense.

I need to see some more games that peak my interest (like Dance Central has). If I find at least another, then I will purchase one. The $150 doesn't bother me, especially when you factor in that if I wanted to play four players on Wii I would pay:

4 x 19.99 (Nunchuk) = 80
4 x 39.99 (Remote) = 160
------

I'm "on the fence" with no Wii system - meaning I'm not writing it off right away. Only thing that will get me off the fence though are good games and fixing the fucking price.

[quote name='lordopus99']I need to see some more games that peak my interest (like Dance Central has). If I find at least another, then I will purchase one. The $150 doesn't bother me, especially when you factor in that if I wanted to play four players on Wii I would pay:

4 x 19.99 (Nunchuk) = 80
4 x 39.99 (Remote) = 160
------
240[/QUOTE]

I love this faulty logic that I see getting tossed around in multiple places. First Kinect is only 2 player, right? Second, the Wii comes with one controller and nunchuck. Third, name a great Wii game that uses more than one nunchuck that you can't just pass around (Resort & Archery). 2-player + 1 nunchuck means a purchase of one extra Wiimote for $40 to have 2-player fun. Then you also get WiiSports (and now Resort), a killer app (or 2) with the system. No such luck on Kinect...yet(?).

Also the Wii has an entire stable of AAA franchises you can bank on appearing and being solid. Kinect doesn't have that.

[quote name='eau']I was shopping at Kmart and electronics clerk told me frankly that he thinks the Kinect is a stupid idea from Microsoft. Given the price Microsoft is asking for it, I tend to agree with him.[/QUOTE]

You're seriously taking the opinion of a kmart employee to heart? They couldn't sell Kinect even if it there was a sale that made it free with the purchase of a pack of gum, mainly because they wouldn't even know the sale was on and wouldn't believe a customer that asked about it. And then they'd go on break.

[quote name='paddlefoot']It all depends on Dance Central for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Dance Central is potentially a system seller. So is Your Shape. Or other games like them. That's where Kinect could transform genres and offer something no other system has... if it really works. In my living room. I'm still a bit worried about that.

Harmonix said it's possible they could bring Dance Central to the Playstation Move. It's unlikely but it'd be funny if Sony were able to take what looks to be Microsoft's biggest killer app for the device.

The Move sounds more and more like the best of both worlds. It has the Wii's waggle in HD, plus it can do hands-free gaming like Kinect if developers wanted to go that route (not as advanced obviously).

Having played all of the Kinect titles at E3, I preordered one the moment they were available. Dance Central was enough for me. If you have purchased and enjoyed DJ Hero, or Rock Band, then Kinect is definitely along those same lines. Incredible fun for everyone. For certain games, taking the controller away removes the barrier of entry. I saw tons of awkward gamers, corporate types and non-gamers (including ladies), completely throw themselves into Dance Central. The Natal buzz pre-E3 was super-negative, and the Cirque event left people more confused than anything, but after the show the general feeling was that Dance Central was the killer app.

[quote name='Corvin']I love this faulty logic that I see getting tossed around in multiple places. First Kinect is only 2 player, right? Second, the Wii comes with one controller and nunchuck. Third, name a great Wii game that uses more than one nunchuck that you can't just pass around (Resort & Archery). 2-player + 1 nunchuck means a purchase of one extra Wiimote for $40 to have 2-player fun. Then you also get WiiSports (and now Resort), a killer app (or 2) with the system. No such luck on Kinect...yet(?).

Also the Wii has an entire stable of AAA franchises you can bank on appearing and being solid. Kinect doesn't have that.[/QUOTE]

1. My Wii didn't come with a nunchuck. It also didn't come with Resort, as that game hadn't been made when I bought it.

2. The Wii has been out for years. Kinect isn't even released yet. I would hope that after all this time, the Wii would have a stable of AAA games. When Kinect has been around the amount of time Wii has, I'm sure it too will have a stable of AAA games.

Wrong logic does not defeat wrong logic.

Hmmm another topic. Can we just get a official Kinect topic?

Anyways not till It's $100 and/or has a REAL killer App that will make me want to spend $150 on it.

[quote name='masked lemon']
2. The Wii has been out for years. Kinect isn't even released yet. I would hope that after all this time, the Wii would have a stable of AAA games. When Kinect has been around the amount of time Wii has, I'm sure it too will have a stable of AAA games.
[/QUOTE]

I'll re-phrase what he was trying to say. The Wii has a bunch of AAA- core games. Not casual/party games.

I think it unlikely we'll see any AAA core games for Kinnect--those will be regular 360 games using the regular controls. So Kinnect is 100% for those who want Dance Games and Wii Sports/Wii Fit type of games etc.

It's unlikely we'll see equivalents to Metroid Prime 3, Zelda etc. for Kinnect--i.e. probably no traditional genre games with Kinnect controls.

And that's a GOOD thing IMO. Leave the motion control garbage for the casual/party games and they people like them, and keep the traditional games with the traditional controls--don't shoe horn motion controls into core games like Nintendo has with most of their games.

And I'll say the exact same thing I just said. The Wii has been out for YEARS. It damn well better have a bunch of AAA- core games.

The Kinect hasn't even been released yet.

Would you consider Forza a "core" game? Because guess what? It has Kinect controls as well as traditional controls...

they haven't annoucnce the price yet so you people assuming its 150 are dumb. i agree if they price it at 150 i wont buy it. but i am guessing it will be cheaper closer to 99.

[quote name='masked lemon']And I'll say the exact same thing I just said. The Wii has been out for YEARS. It damn well better have a bunch of AAA- core games.

The Kinect hasn't even been released yet.

Would you consider Forza a "core" game? Because guess what? It has Kinect controls as well as traditional controls...[/QUOTE]

Fair point. Racing games could use it, though I strongly doubt it would work very well--just like Mario Kart sucks trying to play with the motion controls on the Wii.

I'm also curious to how gas and breaks would work with no controller--guess you have to use your body AND the 360 controller so you have buttons to press?

Anyway, I'll freely admit my bias here. Motion controls are the worst thing I've seen introduced in gaming in the 25+ years I've been gaming. They become the norm, this hobby can fuck off.

So hopefully they remain for the casual/party games, and they leave FPS, WRPGs and all the other traditional genres alone and don't force crappy motion controls into them like Nintendo has with most of their games.

This gen, it won't be an issue as only a minority (even if it sells well) of 360 owners will have a Kinect, but it could be a risk next gen if the Kinect accessory is included in every console sold.

[quote name='krizax21']they haven't annoucnce the price yet so you people assuming its 150 are dumb. i agree if they price it at 150 i wont buy it. but i am guessing it will be cheaper closer to 99.[/QUOTE]

While it hasn't been announced officiall, it is listed $149.99 even in Microsoft's own online store.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Kinect-Sensor-for-Xbox-360/product/C737B081

$100 with a game included would be a much better option if they really want it to catch on. The poll results are showing that--at least on CAG--they key will be getting Wii owners to buy it. Not many non-wii owners are showing interest in it, and many of them are saying no interest.

I'll pick it up when it goes on clearance at Target. No matter what the MSRP turns out to be, I'll only get it at 75% off.

The fact that I have a Wii and that I don't like motion controls that much really won't factor into my decision. If there are AAA games that I have to play that can only be done using Kinect then I will probably buy it (but not before a serious price drop).

I'd like to play Dance Central, but there's no way in hell I'm paying $210 to play one game. I might pick them up on clearance or in a garage sale years from now.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Fair point. Racing games could use it, though I strongly doubt it would work very well--just like Mario Kart sucks trying to play with the motion controls on the Wii.

I'm also curious to how gas and breaks would work with no controller--guess you have to use your body AND the 360 controller so you have buttons to press?
[/QUOTE]

According to reviewers for Burnout you use your feet for gas/break. They claimed it worked surprisingly well.
Still as long as they include the option for controller and motion control it won't be a problem. However Kinect will use some processing power so that could be a problem if they try to include it.

I would be interested in purchasing this if it becomes more than just a port for Wii games. I think Kinetic has potential for producing a real exercise program that is would be an actual challenge (vs. Wii Fit which is only meant for couch potatoes). Hey, they may even bring back the DDR craze.

[quote name='rbaron321']I would be interested in purchasing this if it becomes more than just a port for Wii games. I think Kinetic has potential for producing a real exercise program that is would be an actual challenge (vs. Wii Fit which is only meant for couch potatoes). Hey, they may even bring back the DDR craze.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I do think it has a LOT of potential for those type of things and the people that love them.

I just hope like hell that MS realizes that's what motion controls are for, while the vast majority of traditional games are better with traditional controls. The Wii was ruined for me from having waggle and pointer crap in Zelda, Metroid, Mario etc.

Motion controls can be great for dance games, party games, exercise games etc. and should continue to flourish as there's clearly a big market for those games.

But those should exist along side traditionally controlled games in the usual genres--if it ain't broke don't try to fix it by shoving new control schemes on genre's that already control perfectly.

[quote name='rbaron321']I I think Kinetic has potential for producing a real exercise program that is would be an actual challenge.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I had to..

box-l.jpg

If you look at this video you'll quickly realize Kinect is hardly anything revolutionary. In fact the stuff shown at E3 look exactly like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpnvR_j5nBc

[quote name='corvin']I love this faulty logic that I see getting tossed around in multiple places. First Kinect is only 2 player, right? Second, the Wii comes with one controller and nunchuck. Third, name a great Wii game that uses more than one nunchuck that you can't just pass around (Resort & Archery). 2-player + 1 nunchuck means a purchase of one extra Wiimote for $40 to have 2-player fun. Then you also get WiiSports (and now Resort), a killer app (or 2) with the system. No such luck on Kinect...yet(?).[/QUOTE]

1) It was touted to have 4 player capabilities. Sonic Free Riders lists 1-4 players ( http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/sonicfreeriders/ )

2) My Wii also didn't come with a nunchuck or Resort. I also didn't post the system price in my factor. Lastly, we still don't know if the Kinect comes with a game or not.

All factors considering based on my "faulty" logic now points to 200. Do realize if you want full Wiimote power you need Wiimote Plus which are actually more expensive (50) so if you want to cut out nunchucks than add these in you are looking at 150 + 20 (extra piece for remote that comes with system) = 170. Either way you look at it, the price is well validated when you look at the competition (i.e. Nintendo and Sony).

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'll re-phrase what he was trying to say. The Wii has a bunch of AAA- core games. Not casual/party games.

I think it unlikely we'll see any AAA core games for Kinnect--those will be regular 360 games using the regular controls. So Kinnect is 100% for those who want Dance Games and Wii Sports/Wii Fit type of games etc.

It's unlikely we'll see equivalents to Metroid Prime 3, Zelda etc. for Kinnect--i.e. probably no traditional genre games with Kinnect controls.

And that's a GOOD thing IMO. Leave the motion control garbage for the casual/party games and they people like them, and keep the traditional games with the traditional controls--don't shoe horn motion controls into core games like Nintendo has with most of their games. [/QUOTE]

Like was mentioned before, it is brand new. They have already shown Burnout and Forza 3 on it. Fable III is supposed to have kinect options. I guarantee you hear more non-social games utilizing it somehow as an option in games like Sony has with the Move.

I voted for choice number 1 though I do own a Wii. I don't really like motion controls so no matter how much this turns out to be, I have no interest in this gimmicky crap.

bread's done
Back