Will you continue to use Gmail?

Santurio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I just received this email from a friend of mine that said not to send him any emails from my Gmail account and gave me this link:
www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com
Apparently there is a community of people who don't like Google and say they are capable of hurting you. Sooo, has anybody had any problems with their Gmail account or believe any of this??

Whats is so bad about it? So they put ads at teh bottom of the email. You are getting a gig of free space. No email is secure.

Yea, using a title of 'Is Gmail Evil' then a poll of 'Is Gmail not evil' is just hella confusing. Try to keep your polls and titles equivalent.

Basically, they can read every e-mail you send. No big deal for me, nothing to hide.

After 180 days in the U.S., email messages lose their status as a protected communication under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and become just another database record. This means that a subpoena instead of a warrant is all that's needed to force Google to produce a copy. Other countries may even lack this basic protection, and Google's databases are distributed all over the world. Since the Patriot Act was passed, it's unclear whether this ECPA protection is worth much anymore in the U.S., or whether it even applies to email that originates from non-citizens in other countries.

Google's language means that all Gmail account holders have consented to allow Google to show any and all email in their Gmail accounts to any official from any government whatsoever, even when the request is informal or extralegal, at Google's sole discretion.

Since the RIAA has sent subpoenas to Internet service providers and universities in an effort to identify copyright abusers, why should we expect Gmail to be off-limits?

They leave it wide open and can show it to any gov't. I'm starting to think that they're in cahoots with teh RIAA and MPAA in hopes that someone will be stupid enough to send or receive music or movies in their inbox.

[quote name='Santurio']the poll asks "will you continue to use Gmail"
not if it isn't evil[/quote]

But your Poll title and topic title are different. People see the title and don't bother to check the poll question.

How are those Florida ballots coming along?

[quote name='Scorch']Basically, they can read every e-mail you send. No big deal for me, nothing to hide.

After 180 days in the U.S., email messages lose their status as a protected communication under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and become just another database record. This means that a subpoena instead of a warrant is all that's needed to force Google to produce a copy. Other countries may even lack this basic protection, and Google's databases are distributed all over the world. Since the Patriot Act was passed, it's unclear whether this ECPA protection is worth much anymore in the U.S., or whether it even applies to email that originates from non-citizens in other countries.

Google's language means that all Gmail account holders have consented to allow Google to show any and all email in their Gmail accounts to any official from any government whatsoever, even when the request is informal or extralegal, at Google's sole discretion.

Since the RIAA has sent subpoenas to Internet service providers and universities in an effort to identify copyright abusers, why should we expect Gmail to be off-limits?

They leave it wide open and can show it to any gov't. I'm starting to think that they're in cahoots with teh RIAA and MPAA in hopes that someone will be stupid enough to send or receive music or movies in their inbox.[/quote]

Well, there's one theory on why they would give so much storage space for free: Gmail is the new Kazaa

Do I get a free tinfoil hat if I sign up at www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com ?

Their messages not actually being deleted right away when you 'delete' them has to do with their filesystem.

Gmail will do no more than any other free email service when it comes to privacy. If you're worried about someone reading your email, you should use your own email server, use encryption, and only email people you trust. And if I were you, I'd worry more about Echelon (NSA) and Carnivore (FBI) than I would Google.

They aren't going to just search though every email on Google for certain things like you would your archive. If they suspect you of something, they'll get you, and your emails no matter who you use.

Anyone whos still worried needs a newsflash: You aren't important enough for anyone to want to read your email.

All they do is run an automated script that combs your emails for topics, then puts up an ad for something similar. If you use Opera for free, and use Google text ads, you've already seen this. Right now I look up at the top, and I see an ad for www.eStarland.com [Used Video Game & System] and for www.FreeVideoGames.com [Used video games Free].

They don't actually READ the email.

[quote name='Tromack']And the government is putting flouride in the tap water.[/quote]

That's a good thing though. Have you ever seen a British person's teeth?

You guys are funny. Gmail is _not_ creepy unless you're the kind of person who likes being creeped out so much you keep looking for new ways to do it.

Besides, I bet most (all?) of you don't encrypt your email - that means you can't seriously expect that your emails won't be read by random people.

[quote name='Moxio']Like I said in an earlier thread, I have nothing to hide, so I will continue to use Gmail freely.[/quote]

I concur.

bread's done
Back