Will your Gamertag be active on both your Xbox and Xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or if any information has been released about it, but has there been any confirmation that your Gamertag will be able to be active on both your Xbox and Xbox 360? Currently, with Xboxes the Gamertag is linked directly to an Xbox and any time you install it on a different Xbox, it deactivates it from the previous Xbox you had it active on. It would really suck to have to constantly deactivate and activate my account if I wanted to play on my original Xbox.

Hopefully, Microsoft has thought about this and is going to allow for at least one Xbox and one Xbox 360 to share the same Gamertag.

I'm also curious as to whether Microsoft is ever going to address transferring save files from the Xbox to the Xbox 360. Premium content in particular should offer a unique headache. Ah, the frustration of trying to make Xbox 360 backwards compatible.

Here is the only thing ive heard about it...taken from a Q & A with Allard...

J Allard (Expert):
Q: Can you use your Xbox live gamertag for xbox live gold on the 360?
A: absolutely. we want to make sure you can preserve your identity, friends, and investment in xbox live moving forward with xbox 360 and of course you can keep gaming with your identity on xbox 1.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Here is the only thing ive heard about it...taken from a Q & A with Allard...

J Allard (Expert):
Q: Can you use your Xbox live gamertag for xbox live gold on the 360?
A: absolutely. we want to make sure you can preserve your identity, friends, and investment in xbox live moving forward with xbox 360 and of course you can keep gaming with your identity on xbox 1.[/QUOTE]

I can never tell what J Allard is actually saying. He always glosses over everything so much without going into any detail what-so-ever. It's really frustrating, because you can never tell what to get excited about because he's excited and reassuring about everything.

our xbox retail representative told us you can use your gamertag on both systems, IF you have activated the live account on an xbox 1 and then switch it over to the 360.

If you activate your account on a 360, you can only use that account on a 360.

weird, but thats how it is.

[quote name='jer7583']our xbox retail representative told us you can use your gamertag on both systems, IF you have activated the live account on an xbox 1 and then switch it over to the 360.

If you activate your account on a 360, you can only use that account on a 360.

weird, but thats how it is.[/QUOTE]

That's not quite accurate. You can use your gamertag on the Xbox and the 360 but not both at the same time. You couldn't have two consoles, two TV's and both playing Halo with the same gamertag for example. However if Soldier of Fortune II wasn't playable on the first batch of compatibility software you could still play it (Why though would you want to.) on the original Xbox.

i dunno about that, I would activate any new accounts on an original xbox just to be sure, ira (the retail rep) has never lied or given us info that was "rumored" or not official.

I'm not saying he lied by any means. Given that there's never been anything like a gamertag to carry forward I think it was just an error on his part. You have your gamertag on more than one Xbox now though only one of them can be signed into Live. Same thing.

Check out OXM for an "official" answer . No go to game save transfers = poorly thought out .
Like we really want to start over playing an XBOX game on the 360 .

I don't know about you but It took me a long time to beat PGR2 . Why should I have to do it again ?

I'm curious to what others think about this newer revelation .

[quote name='shipwreck']Currently, with Xboxes the Gamertag is linked directly to an Xbox and any time you install it on a different Xbox, it deactivates it from the previous Xbox you had it active on.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all. One of the few good uses for the Xbox Memory Card is that I copied my Gamertag onto it and can take it to any of my friends' systems, copy it onto their hard drive, and be able to access XBL from either my or their system without ever having to do that dippy "account recovery" thing. The MC makes life so easy.

[quote name='paintballers']Why would you want to play on your orignial XBOX?[/QUOTE]

Well, there will be a lot of games that aren't compatible at first, so you will have no choice but to play them on the original Xbox. I'm really curious to see if games like Project Gotham 2 are supported on X360 right away since Microsoft will be wanting people to buy Project Gotham 3. Plus, I think I will always play my Xbox games on the original Xbox because I'm guaranteed that there will be no problems then. With the way X360 is emulating the original Xbox, there could be a lot of glitches that you may run in to.

how do you save an original (not 360) xbox live account onto a memory card? i have been searching google for an hour now and i need it quick please :roll:

[quote name='macedawg']how do you save an original (not 360) xbox live account onto a memory card? i have been searching google for an hour now and i need it quick please :roll:[/quote]

Put the memory card into the controller and then go to the "memory" section of the xbox dashboard. Choose the "hardrive" option, wait for it to find all of the saved data ,and then scroll down to find your xbox live profile (it should probably be at the very bottom). Select your profile and you will be given the option to copy or delete it. Choose "copy" and it'll ask you if you want to copy to the memory card and then confirm.

There you go.

While we're on the topic, anyone successfully take a live account originally created on a 360 and move it to an original Xbox (via account recovery?)?

My 360's out of commission for a couple of weeks and it'd be nice to play some Halo 2 on my Xbox in the meantime.

That's weird, shipwreck. I can do what you're asking in the OP. I do it all the time. I prefer to play Halo 2 on my original Xbox, so I just boot it up and play - no problem.

[quote name='Trakan']That's weird, shipwreck. I can do what you're asking in the OP. I do it all the time. I prefer to play Halo 2 on my original Xbox, so I just boot it up and play - no problem.[/QUOTE]

Look at when I wrote the OP. :)

[quote name='shipwreck']Look at when I wrote the OP. :)[/quote]

Yeah, this thread should be locked. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back