Willy Wonka 3 Disc 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition at Amazon $27.99

It's the deal of the week, so you'll have until Saturday (I believe) to decide.

Does anyone know if these are numbered like Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Havokscry']It's the deal of the week, so you'll have until Saturday (I believe) to decide.

Does anyone know if these are numbered like Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, etc.?[/QUOTE]
They are numbered, but I'm sure they made a ton of them.

I've bought many of these but for some reason this CE didn't have nearly as many of good extras or as a strong a transfer as other classics from the same collection.

[quote name='Fatbot3']I've bought many of these but for some reason this CE didn't have nearly as many of good extras or as a strong a transfer as other classics from the same collection.[/QUOTE]

Any info on the quality of the transfer? I have the really old dvd verson, if its a good upgrade, that might make me want it.

[quote name='pippin']They are numbered, but I'm sure they made a ton of them.[/QUOTE]

They supposedly made 100,000 of them. The number is on a small tag on the front. I've seen ~#2500 and #15000 at various bestbuys, so I don't think they sold through that many yet.

Original price was way too high, probably didn't sell that well. Should have been $40 max to start in this day of $10-$15 blurays. Reviews say the video quality is the sharpest it's been, but it was never that great to begin with. I would pay ~$15 max for a vanilla bluray of this since I have the old DVD, so I guess the 130 page book and extras justifies $28 to me. I bit. Shows in stock on Jan 11 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ScottBigGame']Any info on the quality of the transfer? I have the really old dvd verson, if its a good upgrade, that might make me want it.[/QUOTE]

According to Highdefdigest:

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture
Comparatively speaking, this new Blu-ray version of 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' is practically identical to the previous HD DVD release as well as the previous Blu-ray. However, upon closer inspection, it appears this 1080p/VC-1 transfer has been tidied up a bit more, with less visible specks and dirt.
Despite a few random, but expected scenes of softness, the film looks terrific in high-def and awash in film grain, giving it a nice cinematic texture. Special effects sequences and low-lit scenes display a much heavier grain structure, but it's nothing detrimental. Fine object detailing is strong for a picture of this age, and contrast is well balanced, exposing a great deal of visual information in the background. Black levels are spot-on and very deep for the most part, but the image generally remains flat throughout. The color palette receives the most immediate improvement and renders warm, accurate facial complexions. Once inside the Wonka factory, richly saturated reds and greens are abundant, while secondary hues are lush and vibrant.
Overall, this is a fantastic-looking presentation of a great classic.

Link to whole review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5570/wonka_1971_uce.html

[quote name='Winky65']According to Highdefdigest:

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture
Comparatively speaking, this new Blu-ray version of 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' is practically identical to the previous HD DVD release as well as the previous Blu-ray. However, upon closer inspection, it appears this 1080p/VC-1 transfer has been tidied up a bit more, with less visible specks and dirt.
Despite a few random, but expected scenes of softness, the film looks terrific in high-def and awash in film grain, giving it a nice cinematic texture. Special effects sequences and low-lit scenes display a much heavier grain structure, but it's nothing detrimental. Fine object detailing is strong for a picture of this age, and contrast is well balanced, exposing a great deal of visual information in the background. Black levels are spot-on and very deep for the most part, but the image generally remains flat throughout. The color palette receives the most immediate improvement and renders warm, accurate facial complexions. Once inside the Wonka factory, richly saturated reds and greens are abundant, while secondary hues are lush and vibrant.
Overall, this is a fantastic-looking presentation of a great classic.

Link to whole review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5570/wonka_1971_uce.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that. I wish I could find the HD-DVD version at a decent price, and decent I mean under $4. I still have 2 HD-DVD players.

Anyway, I'm going to pass. I'd rather just have the movie for $10. I'll wait for that.

It's still more than I want to spend but I grabbed one anyway. The extras (namely the book) are just too cool.

Really nicely done set, though some of the extras like the pencil set and eraser seem kind of odd. The book is the best part of the set, aside from the movie. I'd consider it, but I really don't want have space for all these larger CE type of blu sets.

Got mine already and it was number ~51,000. They left it in the factory box that says "please remove contents prior to displaying on store shelf."

in case you did not notice, there is a golden ticket contest inside. The contest ends 2/3/12 or until 65,000 tickets are entered.. So if you plan on entering, do it asap!

The golden ticket is cool, but I didn't win. :(

I really like the extras in this set, the casting letters are especially neat inclusions.

Amazon deal is dead but WBShop still has this price.
But a shipping and sales tax addition, of course.

bread's done
Back