Windows 7 Cheap Pre-orders From July 15th

Exu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
217 (100%)
Not a gaming deal per se, but I feel this is still relevant enough.
Hot UK Deals has more information on this here, but "participating retailers" will be offering cheaper preorder prices on Windows 7 SKUs (except Ultimate :/) for July and August.

This deal however is great for us because the SKUs we get are all full versions, there are no "upgrade" SKUs being sold in Europe, while the US' equivalent deal is for an upgrade version. Basically the EU acts up and forces MS to not include IE with Win7 and we get to capitalise!

Yeah, if you're on XP then you may as well stick with what you know but if you're stuck with Vista, then I'd say it's worth a punt. And you can always try the release candidate.

Does it work XP -> Windows 7?

I'll still be sticking with XP until Im sure there's a real benefit.

i'm on a beta win7 since a couple of month now, very very good IMHO. it's the new XP for sure.
now, are there IMPORTANT differences from the Premium to professional edition as you know? for fifty bucks i could really buy my first retail OS since.. forever?!

btw, those are the right prices IMHO, the sweet spot. c'mon MS dont act bulshitty, why ask 600 bucks for an OS?!?! of course it wont sell. Ask fair and we'll buy. easy

[quote name='SirStuie']Does it work XP -> Windows 7?

I'll still be sticking with XP until Im sure there's a real benefit.[/QUOTE]

it should not

I'm in Denmark, but purchased an English version of Vista which I'd like to upgrade. Any idea how I can find a UK-based retailer that's participating in this upgrade program and will do it via mail-order? I can't see a list of retailers anywhere on that Microsoft site.

EDIT: My main concern is that I don't want to miss out on this deal by watching the wrong retailer or going through the wrong process.

[quote name='babaz75']i'm on a beta win7 since a couple of month now, very very good IMHO. it's the new XP for sure.
now, are there IMPORTANT differences from the Premium to professional edition as you know? for fifty bucks i could really buy my first retail OS since.. forever?!
[/QUOTE]

I've found the BETA to be great as well. This might be the first OS i ever legitimately pay for.

As far as i can see there aren't too many differences that are important (to me anyway).

[quote name='Exu']Yeah, XP to 7 does work as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

the "upgrade" process is a bit dodgy though (as ever, frankly...) so it's highly advised to do a clean installation (aka --> format and install new by scratch)

From what i understand, Europe and UK don't have a true upgrade disc. It's essentially just doing a clean install when you "upgrade" from XP.

[quote name='TheToiletDuck']From what i understand, Europe and UK don't have a true upgrade disc. It's essentially just doing a clean install when you "upgrade" from XP.[/QUOTE]

of course it should provide some sort of "user data conservation" else this would hamper a lot of xp/vista to 7 upgrade paths...

When I installed over Vista it plopped all my old stuff in a "Windows.old" folder so I could pull out what I wanted to keep and then delete it, so just shove all your program installation files together and you may be fine.

I'd still back my stuff up if I were you, just in case.

Thanks to the idiots in the EU committees Europe doesn't get an upgrade disc for a while. This is because Europe version of Win7 has to lack IE8 because of their stupid rules.

I don't think XP to 7 was ever said to be directly supported anyways for any region. AFAIK, it's always been that to go from XP to 7 you have to either upgrade to Vista then 7, or do a clean install.

I'm more worried about whether my drivers for the stuff I have in Vista. I have a DELL machine, so it's all on one of those discs.

mo worry for drivers in win7 guys, it does a hell of a job automaticly identifing and setting up peripherals. it's pretty amazing actually.

why EU governors hate? this way MS will give us a FULL COPY instead of a less-worth upgrade-only... for the same price! and IE8 is just aa free click away (but grab firefox 3.5 or chrome and live long and prosper...)

[quote name='TheToiletDuck']From what i understand, Europe and UK don't have a true upgrade disc. It's essentially just doing a clean install when you "upgrade" from XP.[/QUOTE]

I heard as XP is fundamentally different any upgrade from that will be a clean install. An upgrade from vista however will keep the OS more in the state that you had it in I believe, but as we don't have proper upgrade discs anyway clean installs all the way!

Clean installs are the way to go anyway. Upgrades just leave a lot of junk around.

Personally, i'm happy to not have IE8 but then overall it's fucking confusing for those that aren't as computer literate as us (e.g. it takes a certain level of competency to post on a message board)

bread's done
Back