Windows 8 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade question

megamanx

CAGiversary!
I recently built a gaming pc, in doing so I bought windows 8 pro. Since I purchased the pro version instead of the builder version, I had to install an old version of windows first in order to install windows 8. I installed windows xp 32 bit first. Then I installed windows 8 32 bit, it would only let me install 32 bit 8 because I had 32 bit version of xp. I tried to install 64 bit windows after that but it will not let me do so. I get an error message "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." I know I can upgrade online for $30 or so, but I paid $150 for pro so f that. Any help would be awesome.

You can't upgrade 32bit to 64bit. You need to do a full reinstall.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Draekon, you should get any information you need off the drive backed up on a thumb drive or secondary drive, then start the install process fresh and reformat the hd your going to install Win8 on.  I just did this last week, I think at some point in the process you have to choose advanced and it shows the hard drives available and you can delete partition and format from there. 

That's my preference on how to do it anyways.

bread's done
Back