windows 8 on sale until jan 31 2013

overlordmike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
might have been mentioned b4 but windows 8 is currently on sale for 39.99 on microsofts website reduced from the normal price of 199.99.

i am posting this in the gaming section due to the fact that when playing my mmo games such as wow and tor. i noticed a 80 fps difference than with windows 7. was running 100-120 fps. now running 190-200 fps avrg in tor

Missed out on the Amazon $30 promo credit (now its only $15) for Windows 8, will this be the cheapest way to get it legitimately because the price is only going to go up?

[quote name='simpleblur']Missed out on the Amazon $30 promo credit (now its only $15) for Windows 8, will this be the cheapest way to get it legitimately because the price is only going to go up?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say but it's very unlikely you'd ever see it go under 15.

Apparently you cannot do a clean install with the Windows 8 Pro .iso file. I wiped one of my extra hard drives clean, installed Windows 8 Pro, put in my Windows 8 Pro upgrade license key, and it booted to the desktop. Updates failed, so I checked the Windows Activation and it said "License key only valid for Windows 8 upgrade and not a clean install." So I wiped it clean, slapped Windows 7 on, then installed Windows 8 on that, activated my Windows 8 key and everything was good.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'm sure you guys are tired of me bitching. An FYI, the customer service is easy to deal with. You have to agree to a destruction agreement via the web after the call. Now in sitting here reinstalling windows 7.

I've been a happy Windows user for about 20 years. Unless something changes my mind, my next computer will be a Mac. Never owned one before. They cost too much but at least it would be functional for me. This really soured me towards Windows (as you can no doubt tell).[/QUOTE]

Good riddance.

[quote name='gordojones88']Apparently you cannot do a clean install with the Windows 8 Pro .iso file. I wiped one of my extra hard drives clean, installed Windows 8 Pro, put in my Windows 8 Pro upgrade license key, and it booted to the desktop. Updates failed, so I checked the Windows Activation and it said "License key only valid for Windows 8 upgrade and not a clean install." So I wiped it clean, slapped Windows 7 on, then installed Windows 8 on that, activated my Windows 8 key and everything was good.[/QUOTE]

You have to jump through hoops to do it but someone posted a link to instructions earlier in the thread.

Very interested in testing my AMD Radeon 7950 in GW2 to see if there's any signs of performance increase. After reading a few articles, it seems Windows 8 has really unleashed the potential of the GPU(s)...

So far I really like it and for $15 for an upgrade I'm not complaining even though I'm not noticing any significant difference in performance yet. Biggest challenge so far is getting use to no start menu.

Ok I hate to be that guy... but I'm reading that people are able to get it for 15. Can someone provide some insight on that? While reading I didn't see how.

[quote name='sweetg1223']Ok I hate to be that guy... but I'm reading that people are able to get it for 15. Can someone provide some insight on that? While reading I didn't see how.[/QUOTE]

They are basically submitting false information to Microsoft to get it at that price. It is supposed to be for people that bought new computers in the last few months.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']They are basically submitting false information to Microsoft to get it at that price. It is supposed to be for people that bought new computers in the last few months.[/QUOTE]
I call bullshit on that one and no disrespect meant. :)

MS is smart enough to know people would do that. If they wanted to make it for legit purchases only they would have had you submit order numbers, serial number of the unit etc.

MS is hoping people will buy Windows 8 in droves so they can pad their numbers and say what a success it really is.

[quote name='Rodster']
MS is hoping people will buy Windows 8 in droves so they can pad their numbers and say what a success it really is.[/QUOTE]

People paying for Windows 8 through official channels isn't "padding", it is a sign of success. What this thread has made clear is that if a person does not want to use a new OS, he will not, no matter the cost. My partner still uses Windows XP, even though I have access to tons of Windows 7 and 8 keys and images through MSDN.

[quote name='Rodster']I call bullshit on that one and no disrespect meant. :)

MS is smart enough to know people would do that. If they wanted to make it for legit purchases only they would have had you submit order numbers, serial number of the unit etc.

MS is hoping people will buy Windows 8 in droves so they can pad their numbers and say what a success it really is.[/QUOTE]

I think bullshit is the wrong term. Nothing I said is untrue, regardless of people's morales and what Microsoft actually intended.

After buying, does the site let you download an ISO? Or is there an option to download an ISO from somewhere?

Before anyone starts screaming at me, Microsoft lets you download the ISOs for Windows 7 legally via sites like Digital River. As long as you have a valid product code and license, grabbing an ISO is OK by them.

I want to buy this to keep it around for the future, but I want to be sure I don't have to install it -right now-.

Edit: Oh I see, you can get the ISO after you buy it. Okay then. Still tempted...

Let me ask you guys something. I have a full Windows 7 DVD, and I know I can install an 8 upgrade on my computer for the promotional price. However, if I purchase it now, will this Windows 8 upgrade work later if:

- I install it on my current PC which has Windows 7, but later change my computer and want to install Windows 7 then 8 from scratch on a new hard drive

- if I purchase the 8 upgrade now but don't install it just yet, but keep it on DVD back for when I decide to install it, either on my current machine or a new one

Meaning: will I be able to validate it on a new computer later if I decide to change it?

I can't confirm this, but it should, since you're not buying a system builder / OEM key (which ties itself to your motherboard / hardware), but a retail key.

have you guys played with the windows store much? lots of free goodies.

heck, even all the old windows games got revamped. got to playing minesweeper with the snazzy new graphics. man, my minesweeper skills were rusty. i remember our dorm used to have keep track of who could do the small grid the fastest. my roommate got an insane 7 second time. to get that kind of time, part of it is luck where he clicked like crazy to clear as much as the board quickly and then quickly identifying where the flags should go for the rest.

but the solitaire collection is great. and with the new graphics and game modes and achievements... I do wish they kept the keyboard shortcuts though. I used to use the ctrl+z to undo but that's gone now. They also should have used the Xbox achievement popup. You do hear the achievement sound but I didn't see any kind of popup.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']They are basically submitting false information to Microsoft to get it at that price. It is supposed to be for people that bought new computers in the last few months.[/QUOTE]

Um, not everyone paid $15 without buying a computer. Need my BBY receipt? Though my first post was deleted in the cleansing.

[quote name='facls']Meaning: will I be able to validate it on a new computer later if I decide to change it?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this article addresses your question.

So wait a sec. If I've got a 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed, I can't upgrade to 64-bit Windows 8 unless I install 64-bit Windows 7 first? Am I reading this right?

You can't upgrade from the 32-bit OS's to 64-bit OS's. That's how it's always been.

You can get the upgrade key and install it fresh, though.

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']So wait a sec. If I've got a 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed, I can't upgrade to 64-bit Windows 8 unless I install 64-bit Windows 7 first? Am I reading this right?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MS FAQ']Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.

You also won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.[/quote]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

But is that an absolute no?

Because I'd rather not pay for a physical disc. I'd have a license, I can get the install files from legal sources when / if needed.

I install my OSes from a bootup disc, not while Windows is running. I assume that's what they mean by Upgrade Assistant.

The way I'm reading it it seems that as long as you have a disc, be it one pressed by MS or one burned from an .iso, you should be fine. But yeah, it's a little hazy on the exact details.

[quote name='elessar123']Um, not everyone paid $15 without buying a computer. Need my BBY receipt? Though my first post was deleted in the cleansing.[/QUOTE]

You obviously fall under the part of my post you quoted that said "It is supposed to be for people that bought new computers in the last few months." I know some people are able to do this legitimately.

Anyways, I'm still debating on how I want to do this. I definitely want to upgrade my Vista key to 8, I just don't know about my Windows 7 key yet.

[quote name='ral1121']Anyway to download the .Iso if you didnt download the first time?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Microsoft sent you an email with a link to the iso file.

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']So wait a sec. If I've got a 32-bit version of Windows 7 installed, I can't upgrade to 64-bit Windows 8 unless I install 64-bit Windows 7 first? Am I reading this right?[/QUOTE]

you can't upgrade from 32-bit windows 7 to 64-bit windows 8 and keep all your settings, programs, etc.

however, you can buy and use the upgrade version to install 64-bit windows 8. what will happen is it will wipe out your 32-bit windows 7 and install 64-bit windows 8.

Didn't see anything posted about this in here...

The Logitech Touchpad T650 is on sale at Staples right now for 59.99 (normally 79.99) and the Touch Mouse T620 is 49.99. Both are being well received so far and are supposed to make the Win8 experience much much better.

I feel like I almost need to buy both to compare then return the one I like less. I'm leaning towards the Touchpad since then I can just hold that on my lap or whatever and still house my G500 for gaming/photoshop/etc. Kinda feel like if I went with the mouse it probably won't be good for gaming and I really don't want two mice.

Does anyone know if that promotional 14.99 upgrade would work on a windows xp laptop? I recently bought a windows 7 pc, went ahead and just decided to get it just in case i want to upgrade from 7, but I'm still not 100% sold on windows 8 yet. So if I don't want the promo code, can I just give it to a buddy with a windows xp pc so that he can upgrade???

[quote name='louiedog']I don't see why not. It think it asked for the serial before I wiped the drive, so there is a possibility that it checked though.

I doubt it though, and you could always throw an old copy of WinXP or something on there and then format it again if that's the case.[/QUOTE]

Well I while I was successfully able install Windows 8 on a fresh hard drive it won't let me activate it because it that key is apparently 'only valid for upgrades' which is extremely disappointing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a valid Windows 7 key before moving to 8 at this point but if anyone has any other suggestions or stories that have worked I'm open to hearing them.

So glad that I grabbed this last night. The loophole is fixed it seems.

For any Mac users, you can install Win 7 to a Boot Camp partition and then use the upgrade assistant and it will install Win 8 just fine. I just plan on using Win 8 for games mostly.

Is anyone else having problems using the upgrade assistant? I get to the part where I have to enter my payment information but when I hit next the screen either locks up or just doesn't do anything. It's been like this all day.

How do I download the ISO?

I bought Win 8 through the upgrade assistant and its starting to download, but I think its just downloading the OS setup files and I don't want to install Windows 8 now. I want the ISO so I can install 8 this weekend. Any idea? I've checked my confirmation email and I dont see any ISO download links. The download links just downloads the upgrade assistant again.

I don't think you can download ISO, you need to pay extra for the "ISO" which they send written on a DVD.

But correct me if I am wrong.

[quote name='gordojones88']Yes, Microsoft sent you an email with a link to the iso file.[/QUOTE]

Nope, went trough all my installation emails and did not see anything.

Bought this earlier off Amazon (yesterday) when they had +$35 promo credit for the $66.99 Windows 8 Pro. Was gonna post the deal but they removed it shortly after.

[quote name='dchrisd']How do I download the ISO?

I bought Win 8 through the upgrade assistant and its starting to download, but I think its just downloading the OS setup files and I don't want to install Windows 8 now. I want the ISO so I can install 8 this weekend. Any idea? I've checked my confirmation email and I dont see any ISO download links. The download links just downloads the upgrade assistant again.[/QUOTE]

Once the download is complete, it should give you the option of either putting it on a USB drive or burning it to a DVD so you can install it on another computer or partition.

[quote name='stapleking']Once the download is complete, it should give you the option of either putting it on a USB drive or burning it to a DVD so you can install it on another computer or partition.[/QUOTE]

I completed the download and it didnt give me the option to save the files, but it did give me the option to comoplete the install later. After some sleuthing, I discovered the install files all seem to be in a hidden folder under C:\ESDWindows (wasnt there before I started downloading and its about 2gb, which seems right). Might be an XP only thing though.

[quote name='JKSonic']Didn't see anything posted about this in here...

The Logitech Touchpad T650 is on sale at Staples right now for 59.99 (normally 79.99) and the Touch Mouse T620 is 49.99. Both are being well received so far and are supposed to make the Win8 experience much much better.

I feel like I almost need to buy both to compare then return the one I like less. I'm leaning towards the Touchpad since then I can just hold that on my lap or whatever and still house my G500 for gaming/photoshop/etc. Kinda feel like if I went with the mouse it probably won't be good for gaming and I really don't want two mice.[/QUOTE]

I think I now want the T650, and I haven't installed Win8 yet! Looks like a great option. OOS online at Staples, maybe PM to Best Buy or something. I think I would still keep my normal mouse also.

Just purchased my 3rd upgrade for $15, total $45 for three copies of W8PRO is a sweet deal. All computers in my house up to date. Finally M$ got it right.

Does anyone think it wouldn't make a difference if I did a clean install or not? I got this laptop back in July, so I haven't had it long, and I don't have a USB drive handy to backup all of my media and such

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Does anyone think it wouldn't make a difference if I did a clean install or not? I got this laptop back in July, so I haven't had it long, and I don't have a USB drive handy to backup all of my media and such[/QUOTE]

You can do a clean install with the upgrade? I bought it and when it asked me what to keep when upgrading I selected "nothing". That's pretty much a clean install, right?

But yeah. ALWAYS do a clean install if you can unless you have a lot of crap you don't feel like backing up.

[quote name='dchrisd']I completed the download and it didnt give me the option to save the files, but it did give me the option to comoplete the install later. After some sleuthing, I discovered the install files all seem to be in a hidden folder under C:\ESDWindows (wasnt there before I started downloading and its about 2gb, which seems right). Might be an XP only thing though.[/QUOTE]

when you restart the install process using the download app it allows you to burn the dvd

[quote name='ral1121']Nope, went trough all my installation emails and did not see anything.[/QUOTE]

Click on the email that says "Thanks for ordering Windows 8."
On the bottom of the email click on "access your account online."
Fill out your account form.
It will download and give you a Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.
Double click and it will give you the choice to download the iso.

[quote name='gordojones88']Click on the email that says "Thanks for ordering Windows 8."
On the bottom of the email click on "access your account online."
Fill out your account form.
It will download and give you a Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.
Double click and it will give you the choice to download the iso.[/QUOTE]

If like me you run that tool on a pc that will not be the final desktop and end up with the 32bit version, the good news is if you run it again on a different pc that is 64bit it will download the 64 version, so I have 2 DVD's with 32 & 64 bit versions.

Anyone know if I can use my new laptop to get a $15 copy and use that on another comp? I don't want Win 8 on my new laptop, but my parents could use it on their computer.

bread's done
Back