Window's New Marketing Attack The Prices of Macs

rumarudrathas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A really interesting article from Apple Insider Today that I saw on Digg today:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...tack_mac_pricing_in_new_series_of_tv_ads.html

There is currently rumors that Mac itself is about to release a sub $900 laptop in the coming weeks, to be more competitive in a tight consumer market, and the Windows and Ubuntu/Linux offering is conquering the Note/Netbook low-end.

Cheap is in, regardless of quality.

Note: This isn't a meant to start a flame-war, I just wanted to know the communities thoughts in this new marketing campaign. Actually, this is more for social commentary on this new paradigm of advertisement than anything (cheap-is-in type of ads). I guess what I wanted to ask is: "Do you think this type of commercials will be convincing at all?"

I couldn't care less about the Company Wars between Apple and MS. Both me and my fiance uses Vista, XP, OSX, and I have a practice L.A.M.P. server upstairs (which use to be a MythTV server).

If this is meant to be compete against netbooks, then a sub $900 price won't work. All it will do is sell to people who have been buying used Macbooks and maybe convert a few Windows users.

If this has the same specs as a sub $400 netbook, then that would really be a hard sell and MS wouldn't even need an ad against Apple if this is the case.

I don't think MS needs an ad campaign against Apple showing prices. Just going shopping will show that. MS needs to show that Windows machines can do everything as well or better than OSX machines and that the top brands are every bit as good as Apple's machines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really think ads like this make a huge difference. If someone wants a Mac, I don't know why they'd get something different to save a few hundred bucks.

I've never owned a Mac. I've always owned a PC and probably always will. If suddenly Macs were much cheaper than PCs, that would not convince me to buy one. I'd imagine the same goes for Mac users.

Why doesn't MS just market the one huge advantage Windows has? Millions of games! Maybe us gamers just aren't a big market. :( Or they figure gamers already know.

[quote name='Dezuria']Why doesn't MS just market the one huge advantage Windows has? Millions of games![/QUOTE]

Perhaps you've heard of something called the "Games for Windows" initiative?

Heh, we need Linux commercials attacking the price of Windows :D

I only like Apple for their hardware design; OS X and Apple programs (iTunes, Safari) really piss me off. If I ever buy another Apple laptop (currently using an iBook G4), I'll probably install Windows and/or Linux on it. My laptop and Ubuntu install have the same main programs at the moment.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Perhaps you've heard of something called the "Games for Windows" initiative?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure slapping a label on PC game boxes will make up for MS closing all its once-awesome PC game outfits and heavily pushing the Xbox for gaming. (Not that I think it's a bad idea on their part, but MS doesn't seem like they give a shit about PC gaming these days.)

[quote name='Dezuria']If someone wants a Mac, I don't know why they'd get something different to save a few hundred bucks.[/QUOTE]

Well we are in the midst of a depression with no sign of brighter days ahead. If people weren't willing to examine why an Apple costs $500 more than a comparable PC before I bet they are now.

[quote name='SynGamer']For once MS makes a valid point. Why pay $2000 for a Mac when you could get the same components for $500+ less?[/QUOTE]

more like $1000 less

[quote name='SynGamer']For once MS makes a valid point. Why pay $2000 for a Mac when you could get the same components for $500+ less?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what went through my mind when I bought my laptop. I was sort of considering a Mac, but it cost more for less, so I passed.

[quote name='SynGamer']For once MS makes a valid point. Why pay $2000 for a Mac when you could get the same components for $500+ less?[/quote]

Because components aren't the only part of the equation. People are willing to pay a premium for suburb customer support, OS X, Apple's software ecosystem, the Apple brand, and aesthetically-pleasing designs, among other things.

Since I mostly surf the net with my iBook, I certainly won't pay for an Apple laptop again, but I don't regret my purchase.

[quote name='Serik']Because components aren't the only part of the equation. People are willing to pay a premium for suburb customer support, OS X, Apple's software ecosystem, the Apple brand, and aesthetically-pleasing designs, among other things.

Since I mostly surf the net with my iBook, I certainly won't pay for an Apple laptop again, but I don't regret my purchase.[/quote]
I have NEVER had a problem that only Microsoft could fix. If someone has a problem with your operating system, it's usually a driver or component problem. To-each-their-own, but i shouldn't have to pay $500+ just for OS X and the Apple brand. That's probably why i still don't have a Mac. If i decide to get one in the future, i hope Psytar is still around ;)

http://www.psystar.com/osx

What convinced me to get a Mac was the Sony laptop I bought crapped out after 9 months of owning it, and a friend of mine still has a Powerbook G4 that is 8 years old that works perfectly.

I too have a Macbook but also a windows desktop, mostly b/c the GF prefers windows. $ for $ PC's definitely have the advantage. But I'm paying the premium apple price for the superb LOCAL free support if needed (I'm pretty handy myself), pleasing aethestics, great value out the box. I love the OS X operating system. Windows isn't bad at all really, I just have many gripes with it that affect my productivity with it. I prefer mac notebooks, they're great for school. There are other reasons why I use a Mac but the argument of hardware cost vs apple's hardware isn't totally justified considering the software also available to the Mac user for free packaged.

Can't really judge them until you've used them as many of us grew up PC guys including myself using Win 3.1 lol

Hmm, I remember when I was buying RAM for the iMac, that I was only to buy certain brands and models of RAM. Apparently the hardware has a stricter tolerance rating than most of the ram allows out in the wild.

I have to think that this new marketing will be one of their most effective. Cut the crap on how a 4 year old can crop a picture. The number one thing on the mind of most Americans is money and when it boils down most people want is web, mail, and random youtube videos.

I've always wanted to try OS X but their lowest cost of entry is 600 dollars. Since they are the minority they need to be able to convert some people with the power of their OS over Windows.

My main beef with Apple is when I was laptop searching this summer and pulled up a chart that compared parts and their prices, Apple was just off the chart. HP was offering me a free upgrade to 3GB of ram while Apple was selling me 4GB for +200. A 320 GB hard drive with the macbook was outrageous.

[quote name='SynGamer']I have NEVER had a problem that only Microsoft could fix. If someone has a problem with your operating system, it's usually a driver or component problem. To-each-their-own, but i shouldn't have to pay $500+ just for OS X and the Apple brand. That's probably why i still don't have a Mac. If i decide to get one in the future, i hope Psytar is still around ;)

http://www.psystar.com/osx[/QUOTE]

By your logic why would you pay Psytar for something you can build cheaper and install for free? They're just 'supporting' OS X installation on generic hardware.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I have to think that this new marketing will be one of their most effective. Cut the crap on how a 4 year old can crop a picture. The number one thing on the mind of most Americans is money and when it boils down most people want is web, mail, and random youtube videos.

I've always wanted to try OS X but their lowest cost of entry is 600 dollars. Since they are the minority they need to be able to convert some people with the power of their OS over Windows.

My main beef with Apple is when I was laptop searching this summer and pulled up a chart that compared parts and their prices, Apple was just off the chart. HP was offering me a free upgrade to 3GB of ram while Apple was selling me 4GB for +200. A 320 GB hard drive with the macbook was outrageous.[/QUOTE]
That's why you buy those parts from newEgg. If it's user serviceable, it's probably cheaper to install it yourself.

[quote name='lanleague']By your logic why would you pay Psytar for something you can build cheaper and install for free? They're just 'supporting' OS X installation on generic hardware.[/quote]
I'd rather support them for giving me a realistic price. I built my computer last summer and if i want to go Mac, i'd prefer a laptop...but those are a bit harder to build ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']I'd rather support them for giving me a realistic price. I built my computer last summer and if i want to go Mac, i'd prefer a laptop...but those are a bit harder to build ;)[/QUOTE]

I use a Hackintosh and the install was easy. Psystar wants $1,1550 for the same computer I built for $575. What's worse is that they're profiteering off the hard work of the OSx86 community without paying anything back.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']

Cheap is in, regardless of quality.

Note: This isn't a meant to start a flame-war, I just wanted to know the communities thoughts in this new marketing campaign.[/quote]

You lost me at this point when you used such loaded language in your argument as Windows' marketing attack. That language right there is going to start flame-war, as you're attacking one side.

Personally, not to sound like a fanboy, but I'm happy with Microsoft finally dispelling Mac and putting some muscle behind themselves against Mac. Mac has been BSing the market place for far too long, and it's nice to see Microsoft push those points finally, especially with those being as valid as they are. I picked up a 17" HP laptop last August (maybe a little bit before in the summer), for 899 with top of the line specs (4GB ram, great video card for the time, sound, etc.), where as if I were to get something similar through Mac it would have cost me $1500 at the cheapest and with fewer features/functionality. I also hate all the BS that Macs are safer than Windows. They're only safer because nobody gives a rats ass to attack them, unless it is for a competition where money is involved and they are shown to be the easiest. I have a couple of cripes with Windows, namely that I've had to format my computer, but that's mostly been my fault or my decision after putting a lot of unneccessary programs that kind fo bogged down the system, etc. The only thing that could compare, and who should be tooting their own horn, is Linux, but then I would have had to build the computer myself, which my time is money so i decided not too (plus Linux is too much of a pain to setup all the features, etc. that I want that are just there in Windows and working - even in Vista).

[quote name='Serik']Because components aren't the only part of the equation. People are willing to pay a premium for suburb customer support, OS X, Apple's software ecosystem, the Apple brand, and aesthetically-pleasing designs, among other things. [/quote]

You're right. I'd also be willing to pay a premium for a Ferrari or a Lambo, but I don't because I know what I can afford. In this economy, with things as they are already in the crapper, don't count on people to be willing to pay for a premium just for "aesthetically-please". Also, there are plenty of Dell/HPs that are pleasing on the eyes. I always get compliments on mine.

Since I mostly surf the net with my iBook, I certainly won't pay for an Apple laptop again, but I don't regret my purchase.

My roommate is in a similar circumstance, that he went with a Mac for his laptop, but after seeing my laptop, he constantly tells me how much he regrets going for the Mac and how his next purchase of a laptop will most likely be an HP or something with Windows on it. He also misses gaming a lot. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I know someone else who even has bootcamp on his Mac with Windows, and who has tried playing games on it, but the thing just sucks when it comes to playing games and always has issues. His most frequent issue when it comes to playing games this way is that Apple purposely slowed the fan speed down on the Mac so it wouldn't make so much noise, but this fucks the laptop up in terms of heat and other issues. He eventually found a program that allows him to adjust the fan speed of his Mac laptop, but he still says the thing sucks and would have gotten a Windows computer had been able to make the decision again.

I just gotta say that article blows balls. Really "One HP buyer pointed out that this model series "has the worst screen I have ever seen in my life.". Yeah great some random dude said something.

How about some specs or a chart or something measurable? Worst screen EVER? Come on.

Macs are great PCs but really you are paying a lot for the luxury. With PCs these days most folks use them for what? Twitter? Facebook? IM? Movies and MP3s?

The most intensive applications on PCs these days seems HD content and Games. And since macs still are lacking blu-ray I don't see how you could want to use that as your platform to make HD content.

Then of course your going to get way more bang for your buck when it comes to gaming on a PC laptop.

I really wanted to get a mac mini for my TV but this last hardware refresh was such a joke, I'm just going to get a PS3 to use as my HTPC. It costs less and plays PS3 games and blu-rays.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You lost me at this point when you used such loaded language in your argument as Windows' marketing attack. That language right there is going to start flame-war, as you're attacking one side.
[/quote]

Yeah... I tend to do that. But FTA, it mentioned that the "deal of a laptop" may give her a 17" screen, but the screen itself is really poor in quality (but keeping in mind were the article is coming from, that fact might be exaggerated).

And I do support the idea that most consumers are more driven by the bottom line than specs or reviews. I had to talk a person out of buying some no-name brand of "notebooks" (actually, It looked more like one of those my-first-laptop electronic toys), because a basic Dell "is a fucking rip-off" retailing at $399~, being on sale at my local BB

I'm sure Apple will find a way to spin this in their favor. Their business model these days it built purely on BS and preying on people's ignorance. Mac's are supposed to be more secure, but at this year's hack to own competition the Mac can hacked in 10 seconds using the same exact exploit that was used the previous year. I do miss the days of Apple commercials when they tried to claim that digital cameras are only compatible with Macs and won't work with windows.

The high price tag on Apple products isn't for the spcs, or the OS, or anything else computer-related. It's for the image of owning an Apple and being "cool."

Of all the companies around, Apple is by the far the best at positioning itself as being the product you must own to be "cool." So many people have bought into that tactic without any thought it's sad.

I just don't understand why a Mac is so special ... Windows PC's do absolutely everything and more then a Mac ... if anything the Mac should be cheaper. Yet people know they're expensive, which in turn makes people buy them so they look weathly compared to someone with a PC. That's the only reason why I could see someone buying one.

Lame

[quote name='captainfrizo']The high price tag on Apple products isn't for the spcs, or the OS, or anything else computer-related. It's for the image of owning an Apple and being "cool."

Of all the companies around, Apple is by the far the best at positioning itself as being the product you must own to be "cool." So many people have bought into that tactic without any thought it's sad.[/quote]

This is exactly right. Most people buy Mac's thinking they are superior to PC's, due mostly to Apple's genius marketing for their products. Their marketing of Iphone's and Mac's is some of the best I've ever seen. They make it so people will pay $500 for a cell phone and then pay out the ass every month for the service....... just unbelievable.

[quote name='cgarb84']This is exactly right. Most people buy Mac's thinking they are superior to PC's, due mostly to Apple's genius marketing for their products. Their marketing of Iphone's and Mac's is some of the best I've ever seen. They make it so people will pay $500 for a cell phone and then pay out the ass every month for the service....... just unbelievable.[/quote]

In many ways they are superior to the competition. And being superior in marketing and branding still counts if, at the end of the day, it sells products.

I think it's disingenuous to claim that every Apple customers is victim of the RDF.

Apple makes excellent products. Whether or not they're worth the asking price is a different story. Based on my needs as a user, they're emphatically not (see previous post), but my iBook is a damn fine piece of equipment backed by the best customer support I've experienced from a computer retailer.

I'm not saying Apple doesn't make good products, they make very good quality products from what I have personally experienced. But what people pay for their products is borderline rape imo. Some of Apple's products are indeed superior when compared to their competitors, but IMO Mac's are in no way superior to PC's. Almost everything that a Mac does can be done on a PC through many different emulations and such for about 1/2 the cost.

[quote name='Serik']In many ways they are superior to the competition. And being superior in marketing and branding still counts if, at the end of the day, it sells products. . . .Apple makes excellent products. Whether or not they're worth the asking price is a different story.[/QUOTE]
Superior in ind. design and marketing, yes. Starts and ends with those. You're the first person I've ever heard claim that Apple products are backed by "the best customer support [...] experienced from a computer retailer," and this observation includes many Apple owners, a number of whom gleefully exist within the RDF. In what way is the customer service so outstanding?

It's good that Apple is getting in the sub-900 game. Some PC giants (e.g. Dell, most certainly not MS) are slowly coming to understand that to threaten Apple on potential Mac owners, they need to start with design (e.g. Dell Adamo vs. MacBook Air) and marketing (e.g. those Dell commercials with the well-to-do, disaffected, mid-20s types and the repetitive junkpop in the background).

All of this competition is good for cheap asses.

bread's done
Back