Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

OMG I GOT A WINDOWS 7 PHONE!!!~~

I talked to the T-mobile guy and when the change over happens I should either get a free upgrade to their phones or cash for them contract breaking. Should the first happen I may change change phones.

I wonder if I can keep all my apps..

BIG question. Can I buy stuff for my phone with a CC or something, or do ALL transactions go through my phone bill?

[quote name='basilofbkrst']

BIG question. Can I buy stuff for my phone with a CC or something, or do ALL transactions go through my phone bill?[/QUOTE]

If by stuff, you mean games and such, you need a credit card for that. If you have an Xbox Live gamertag with a credit card linked to it, you should be set once you setup your Live ID on the phone.

Yeah, you can buy games and apps with a credit card. Also, purchases are associated with your GamerTag, so if you buy a new Windows Phone later, you'll be able to redownload them.

The thing is I don't have a CC linked to my Live account. BUT! When I click buy In the Zune software I get a confirm screen and no input CC info screen.

Here we go! The first Deal of the Week that I've actually bought (I already owned Battle for Hoth (belch) and Rocket Riot).

WP7 Deal of the Week
GAgame.png

March 30
I've only played it a little bit, but it seems very polished. Anybody who likes puzzle games or even art should give it a shot.

Also, Fable Coin Golf is out!

I'm disappointed achievement-wise with Fable Coin Golf. One of the achievements is for getting gold on all levels and it is worth 75 points. Another achievement is for getting silver on them all and it is 45 points. There are 3 chapters to the game and I just finished the first. I got gold on most of them, but towards the end, it got really hard. The best I could do on one of them was bronze. It really annoys me that they tied up 120 gamerscore with these 2 difficult achievements. 75 points is a big achievement in a retail game let alone a small XBLA/WP7 type game. Granted this is a good way to keep people playing. Personally, I just get frustrated after my 200th attempt on a level and move on. Once I don't get gold on one level, then I don't care about getting gold on any of them.

I know, quit your crying. :)

[quote name='eastx']Those Achievements do sound annoying. Somebody will probably make a guide or videos to help out after a while though.[/quote]

Yeah, I figure a video guide will come out eventually. Only bad thing is the fewer people on WP7. I'm not sure it will happen as soon as if the game was on iPhone or Android.

I also wrote a blog post about my experience working on the Super Monkey Ball story.

Hmm, I just got Monkey Ball for 3DS today. Not really a game I wanted, but I had to get at least one game for my 3DS.

I polished off 3 games over the weekend.

Finally got the last achievement in Flight Control. Landing 10,000 planes took me quite a few hours. Did a lot of it while half watching TV.

I also got all the achievements in the Guitar Hero game. Those achievements are actually pretty easy if you have any kind of rhythm.

I also beat the Fable Coin Golf game with all silver. I thought that would be impossible, but I managed it. Still not sure about ever getting that all gold achievement. I really struggled getting silver on a couple of the levels. Hopefully someone will put some video guides up. Only bad thing is the smaller number of people on WP7. It lessens the chance of it happening.

Glow's 200 is damn near impossible. I might be able to sqeuak in 50% of Gold Time medals, no way I'll ever be able to get 100% (even using guides)

BigPopov, those time medals will definitely take some practice. Glow Artisan's developers are extremely cool and friendly, so I'm surprised the game's Achievements skew so hardcore.

Harbor Master is definitely coming to Xbox Live next week on April 13. To celebrate, I've written a full preview:

harbor-master-monster-cove.png

Harbor Master - Exclusive preview

Flight Control fans should definitely give it a look.

Also, I've written a rare indie game review. Most indie games so far aren't worth mentioning, but this one's an unusually good-looking puzzler and costs only a dollar:

pirates-mind-6.jpg

Pirate's Mind review

Last edited by a moderator:
Harbor Master is a definite buy for this guy. I have spent hours and hours on the iPhone version. Can't wait to get some XBL achievements for playing it.

Monopoly is pretty good. Computer is easily manipulated though. Got most of the achievements first game, the only one I can see giving me a problem is roll three doubles in a row.

For the three doubles, you just need to play it for the rest of your life, and eventually the stars may align and you'll get it. The developer, Babaroga, uses a bad die-rolling algorithm, making it harder than it needs to be.

I want something with a little depth to it.

Something that is not a puzzle game or quick pick up and play.

Oregon Trail is ok...Katamari kind of scratched that itch.

I'm looking at Assassin's Creed or The Harvest. Both seem to have the progression I'm looking for. Anything else out there?

I finished my first game of Oregon Trail yesterday. I missed like half the achievements. I need to look at the achievements I'm missing when I get home and ask some questions here.

Oh, I remember one thing. The eagles snatching your kid. How do you stop them? The first 2 kids they took, I didn't know you could stop them. Then I saw the 2 achievements dealing with eagles. The next time an eagle flew by, I was tapping on it thinking it would shoot it, but that didn't happen. How do you stop eagles?

When you see one flying in the distance, a button prompt on the screen comes up. Just tap the screen.

One thing I noticed, when I'm at my parents, the Focus' wifi connection is REALLY wonky. Sometimes it won't connect, sometimes it will but I can't access the internet, and other times it works perfectly fine. Really strange.

[quote name='seanr1221']When you see one flying in the distance, a button prompt on the screen comes up. Just tap the screen.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it wasn't picking up my finger tapping then. I was definitely tapping the screen when that prompt came up.

I find my Focus doesn't pick up a lot of my tapping. This is especially obvious playing Oregon Trail. When you do the hammering mini-game, it misses so many of my taps.

Picked up Monopoly yesterday, the only achievements I need are rolling 3 doubles in a row and landing on every property; I guess it's all based on pure luck.

I got 3 doubles in a row my first game. Landing on every property was my last achievement and I got it in my second game. I really let the second game run long though. I didn't build any houses on any of my properties so the AI guy wouldn't go bankrupt so fast.

Harbor Master is coming tomorrow!!

I was looking at the achievements for this game. I think one of them was to bring in 500 containers in a single game. I have played this game for hours and hours on the iPhone. I'm quite sure I never got over 500. I'm thinking I won't be getting all 200 gamerscore on this one.

I cautioned the Harbor Master dev that a couple of the Achievements might be too tough, but he said enough people had done them on iPhone, so we'll see!

Yep, Harbor Master and Centipede on Wednesday.

I wonder if Centipede will be cheaper since it's a game room game.

Also, why hasn't Gameloft been on board? 5 games is nothing for them. They have a huge backlog they can put out. I'm really disappointed we don't get games like dungeon hunter

I played some Harbor Master for about an hour or so this morning. The 3 buttons at the bottom of the Samsung Focus really drive me nuts with gaming. During the time I played, I seriously must have hit the home or search button 30 or more times. This is easily the game that causes me to do this the most. I was thinking I might put a piece of tape over the buttons when I play the game.

While I'm complaining, there is something off with the controls. I verified this by playing the iPhone version. It seems like the WP7 doesn't let you finely draw paths as well as the iPhone version. I'll draw a line to a port and the final plot will be more widely swept than I had drawn. I tried the same kind of thing on my iPhone this morning and it seems like the course the ship would take was much closer to what I drew. This leads to ships running into each other a lot as I just can't get the ships to go exactly where I want them to.

I've been very excited for this game, but have been having nothing but issues this morning. :(

Yeah I regret my purchase. There definitely seems something off about it.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting a little burnt out. We're paying a premium for (sometimes) inferior versions. I know the iPhone 4 has more horsepower, but the games run so much better.

Not to mention companies like rovio just kind of shit on the platform. Why not put out Seasons and Rio? Why just regular angry birds.

I love love love earning achievements, but I'm afraid that's the only thing keeping me there.

The only reason I got the WP7 is for achievements. I've got about 103,000 gamerscore. So, I love getting achievements on the go.

I sometimes wonder if the quality of the screen is the problem compared to the iPhone 4. I was complaining last week about Oregon Trail not picking up gestures on the screen. Maybe the Samsung Focus has a cheap piece of crap screen?? The whole OLED thing looks great, but the touch part doesn't seem so good, in my humble opinion.

winrumors.com has an article that Angry Birds is coming May 25th. If true, I wonder when in the "Must Have Games" promotion Angry Birds is being released? If it is the last game, then the promotion should be starting within a couple weeks.

East, I saw your article about pitfall and asteroids this week. I wo der if that means the must haves won't be starting on the 20th :/

NoDo is out for the Focus and Quantum!

Things are definitely speedier. Games move better. Not up to par with iPhone 4 speeds, but a definite improvement. Bring on mango :)

I tried Centipede and Asteroids this morning. I was thinking both were new this week, but I guess Centipede has been out?

I did not like Centipede. The controls drove me nuts. I kinda liked Asteroids, but not enough to buy. I'll wait until it is on sale for $2 and maybe pick it up.

I also did the update on my Focus this morning. It failed the first time, but worked the second.

So I got a notification last night that there's an update available for my phone, I have a Samsung Focus.

Does anyone know if all the update issues on the Samsung are fixed, or is there still a risk the update could brick my phone ?

You're not going to brick your phone. Yes, they fixed the bricking issue. Some people have had the updates fail, but it doesn't hurt anything.

[quote name='eastx']You're not going to brick your phone. Yes, they fixed the bricking issue. Some people have had the updates fail, but it doesn't hurt anything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that legally binding guarantee, I'll send you a bill if my phone gets bricked. ;)

Only kidding, I thought they would have fixed it but I wanted to check. Thanks for the reply.

[quote name='Richlough']I got my update today .
AT&T Samsung Focus .[/QUOTE]

This should read I got my prompt for my update.

My update never finishes, maybe my micro SD card isn't getting along with it ?
I don't know.

ERROR code 800705B4 .

**UPDATE**

I downloaded the Support Tool and it fixed whatever problem there was .

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back