Windows Vista Licensing Question

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have a windows vista disc that I want to use to install Vista on one of my PCs. Can I use the same disc to install Vista on my other PC as well? If is use the same disc and registry information, will I only be able to receive updates such as SP and security updates for one computer or will I have no difficulty updating both?

Do I need to purchase two copies of Windows Vista to have both PCs fully functional and upgradeable?

With Windows XP, you could use the same copy and same registration key on a few computers. You can get upgrades and all. I don't see why you couldn't with Vista. You should be fine installing it on one other computer.

Only one copy of Vista per one machine. Sucks, because I'd like to install it on my other PC as well. :( If you do install it on the other machine, I believe it de-activates the previous machine's version. Don't quote me on that though. But I do know it's only one copy per machine.

There are a few more restrictions as well. If it's an OEM version, it's permanently tied to the first machine you install it on, so you can't even put it on another and de-activate the first like you can with the retail version. Also if you do a standard upgrade, it deactivates your XP CD key as well (making it a true upgrade), so you can't even install THAT on another PC.

bread's done
Back