Windows XP Limited User Account

erika1209

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I have a computer everyone in my house uses. I want to know if there's a way i can keep my brother from downloading everything he wants to download because i'm scared he might download a virus or something, does anyone know how i can do this?

There is no easy way to do this, unfortunately. The only straightforward way to limit what he downloads is to prevent his user account from saving to the hard drive. That requires you to change the NTFS permissions of the drive itself. Problem is, all software needs to write to the HD at some point or another. You will probably destroy the functionality of Windows altogether for that user account by placing such a limitation.

EDIT: Other solutions are MUCH more convoluted, will only yield minimal results, and probably would affect all of the user accounts on the PC rather than just the one. It would also take quite a long time for me to explain how to do it. :whistle2:#

my school has this on all of the computers so we can't download anything, i guess i'll have to ask someone there, thanks for the help though :)

[quote name='joey12169']my school has this on all of the computers so we can't download anything, i guess i'll have to ask someone there, thanks for the help though :)[/QUOTE]

There's a big difference between the network at your school and your home PC. There are many additional administrative controls present in that type of environment, most of which require an Active Directory Domain with Group Policy Objects enabled. Am I starting to lose you?

bread's done
Back