WindowsXP from Windows98se

Vega$

CAGiversary!
I am using windows98se, and its a known fact that windows98se runs games , the older ones with ease, but i wanted to know, if i would buy a xp disc, install over windows98se, is this really a good upgrade?

Also can you really switch back and forth to play older games with ease on xp, what i mean is, are you sure i wont have any problem?

I have windowsxp, me & my wife use it for business only. But i am really seriously thinking about upgrading from windows98se, to XP , instead of buying a whole new computer.

I do plan to buy a new super xp computer tho, but i didnt want to get rid of my tower which i am using now, so i was thinking about upgrading to XP.

There's no guarantee that all older games (like 1990's) will work on Windows XP. With some configuring, you can probably get most of the games that don't work to work.

I would personally just wait until you buy that new "super XP computer..." so then you'd have two computers and you can install games on the old computer if it doesn't work on the XP computer

[quote name='n25philly']what are the specs on your computer?[/quote]

PIII, 600MHZ
Soundblaster Sound Card
80GB
DVD Combo Drive
Intel application accelerator 2.3
512Megs of Ram
3DFuzion/BFG Geforce 5500 256MB PCI card
Intel CPU, i only have PCI Slots
90 Watts PSU

[quote name='Oktoberfest']There's no guarantee that all older games (like 1990's) will work on Windows XP. With some configuring, you can probably get most of the games that don't work to work.

I would personally just wait until you buy that new "super XP computer..." so then you'd have two computers and you can install games on the old computer if it doesn't work on the XP computer[/quote]

There is a mode on xp where you can do this right:

If you get XP, right click the exe and hit properties, then compatibility tab and you'll see the option. Windows 95, 98/ME, 2000, NT 4.0 are the options.

You may be right tho, maybe i should wait.

Wow, 90W PSU? That's pretty small :)

It really depends on what kind of 'old games' you're talking about. Diablo? Starcraft? Warcraft II? Duke Nukem 3D? They'll run on XP.

Yea i dont play those old old old games, i think i am pretty good, so i might go ahead and spend 100 dollars on windowsxp.

Btw, which Xp version should i get to upgrade from windows98se?

90PSU is cool tho, i mean i had this computer for years, still blowing up cool cool air. My computer tower only gets warm when its warm/hot in the hosue. I think the 90watts PSU was meant for this tower tho.

Well of course its not broke, but its nice to upgrade from windows98se to xp. I still do all the things i can do now, but more. So it should work out pretty good, if not, i still have the windows98se discs. But i think everything should be good.
But serious, which version of XP should i get?

um seems to me you could wait it out and buy some emachines type 200$ w/ rebate pc and at least get an upgrade to what you have plus an operating system you want... i mean 100 bucks to put windows on a really old pc... seems not very cheap ass.

If you are determined to get Windows XP, you can just get the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade, which has every basic thing you'll ever need.

512MB of RAM will be fine, but you might encounter slow downs in Windows if you run too many programs at once (such as Firefox + Word + AIM + Acrobat Reader).

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Are you sure you don't mean 290 watt PSU or something? I don't even think me old Pentium 1 ran on only 90 watts.[/quote]
Well let me ask you this, is there a way to scan your computer online and it will show your PSU unit information?
Because i dont feel like opening up my tower again, but the last time i checked, it said 90watts. It had some other numbers on it, but i dont really remember.

The PSU unit is small tho, it looks like this:
http://www.skyline-eng.com/catalog/Gateway_Mirco_ATX_90_Watt_Power_Supply_6500545.html

As i said i think this PSU is meant for this computer. And besides i dont have alot of stuff in my computer, just 80GB, DVD combo drive, 512megs of ( 2 sticks ), Soundblaster Card, and a Geforce 5500 256mb PCI card.

[quote name='auralia']um seems to me you could wait it out and buy some emachines type 200$ w/ rebate pc and at least get an upgrade to what you have plus an operating system you want... i mean 100 bucks to put windows on a really old pc... seems not very cheap ass.[/quote]
Well yea 100 dollars for a windowsXP disc is pretty steep, so i will try to find it cheaper elsewhere. I have no plans to get rid of this computer tho, i want to keep this tower, because i had it for years and i am happy with what i have inside of it. I am just thinking about going to XP on it. Windows98se is awesome, but if i can do the same thing on xp + more, why not go for it. :D

[quote name='SOSTrooper']If you are determined to get Windows XP, you can just get the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade, which has every basic thing you'll ever need.[/quote]
Alright cool i will look into it. :)

[quote name='SOSTrooper'] 512MB of RAM will be fine, but you might encounter slow downs in Windows if you run too many programs at once (such as Firefox + Word + AIM + Acrobat Reader).[/quote]
Slowdowns? Firefox+word+aim+acrobat reader? WTH :lol:

I dont run too many programs like that at once. I have firefox open, then may open up winamp, and a image editor program, but thats about it. I try not to have too many programs open at once.

And about slowdowns, well on windows98se, when i start my computer up, the system resources are at 97% or 98%. After i play a few games or open up a few programs and then close everything out, it drops down to 92%, then maybe later it drops down to 88% or 77%.

So i think with windowsxp, it should be ok. Btw, i seen some system requirements for windowsxp and its not too heavy in specs. You really need 128MB in computer to be able to run it.

See:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314685

:rofl:

Could you install XP on a 600mhz P3? Yes.

Should you install XP on a 600mhz P3? No.

I have a good bit of hindsight for you here:

Step 1- Keep your old ass tower just the way it is. You know your old games are working just fine. Don't piss in the sauce.

Step 2- Buy a new PC with XP (if not Vista) pre installed. Buying retail XP will run you about $200. Heres a list of a few hundred decent PCs starting at $270 http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...line/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

[quote name='Kayden']:rofl:

Step 2- Buy a new PC with XP (if not Vista) pre installed. Buying retail XP will run you about $200. Heres a list of a few hundred decent PCs starting at $270 http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh[/quote]

Dell? No thanks. I'm always sticking with gateway products. There is a computer store around my way that sells computers, i already have the super xp computer which i plan to buy in the future on my mind, its at the store for 260 and more importantly its from gateway and it has a intel chip which is the best in my opinion.

I was just curious about the xp upgrade. Like i said, i plan to keep my 2 disc set of windows98se, just in cause xp doesnt work out too well.

Peace

Oi. I have never not had a problem with a Gateway. I get them in at work frequently and 30% of the time, they don't even boot strait from the factory. No one in my shop likes handling them.

[quote name='Vega$']Dell? No thanks. I'm always sticking with gateway products. There is a computer store around my way that sells computers, i already have the super xp computer which i plan to buy in the future on my mind, its at the store for 260 and more importantly its from gateway and it has a intel chip which is the best in my opinion.

I was just curious about the xp upgrade. Like i said, i plan to keep my 2 disc set of windows98se, just in cause xp doesnt work out too well.

Peace[/quote]

[quote name='Vega$']
And about slowdowns, well on windows98se, when i start my computer up, the system resources are at 97% or 98%. After i play a few games or open up a few programs and then close everything out, it drops down to 92%, then maybe later it drops down to 88% or 77%.

So i think with windowsxp, it should be ok. Btw, i seen some system requirements for windowsxp and its not too heavy in specs. You really need 128MB in computer to be able to run it.[/QUOTE]

I've ran Windows XP for 6 years now, so I know how bad it runs with 128MB, 256MB, and 512MB of RAM ;) I'm just letting you know, even though 512MB is completely fine with XP after a fresh install, in a couple of months (where XP magically becomes bloated with software), you'll start noticing HD swapping activity increasing. Thus bringing your computer to its knees, and you'll have to reboot the computer to make it run normal again. It's just a small problem that I'm trying to prepare you for. Even though Windows 98SE runs great with 512MB, XP wants more.

I'll echo what others have said. With hardware that old I wouldn't bother installing XP unless there's a program you simply must have which will only run on XP (and I don't mean a game, since any game designed for XP will run like shite on that system anyway).

[quote name='Kayden']
Should you install XP on a 600mhz P3? No.
[/QUOTE]

That's just not true. I'm currently using a 633mhz P3 with only 128MB ram running XP and it runs great. I tried Windows 98, Windows ME (never ever use that crap), and Windows XP and XP easily is the fastest and most reliable.

That being said, if you're buying a new computer with XP and are worried about running old games I say just leave the 98 PC as is. You should have XP on your primary PC, but having 98 on another is just fine.

[quote name='Vega$']PIII, 600MHZ
Soundblaster Sound Card
80GB
DVD Combo Drive
Intel application accelerator 2.3
512Megs of Ram
3DFuzion/BFG Geforce 5500 256MB PCI card
Intel CPU, i only have PCI Slots
90 Watts PSU

There is a mode on xp where you can do this right:

If you get XP, right click the exe and hit properties, then compatibility tab and you'll see the option. Windows 95, 98/ME, 2000, NT 4.0 are the options.

You may be right tho, maybe i should wait.[/quote]

Your computer can Run XP, but it will run really slow. I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

I've seen XP run on a pentium 166 mhz and 64 mb of ram. It made me want to kill myself. Just because you can run it doesn't mean you should.

If you want to run XP and are worried about how older games will run, you might want to browse this site: http://ntcompatible.com/

Also, if you're seriously considering XP but also still want to be able to run 98 (if there's a program that won't work in XP), have you considered a dual-boot setup?

Theres quite a few old games that I could never get to work in XP. Such as the entire Might and Magic Series, Dragon Fire 5: Quest for Glory (game runs but crashes when it wants to play video).

i've run xp on pc's ranging from p2 350 up to my current amd x2 rig. if you really want to have xp on your machine that bad just make a partition with xp on it and you can choose what os you'd like to boot into. i used to have xp and windows 98 back in the day on a gateway p2 350, worked fine.

bread's done
Back