windshield chip

R1V3R5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, today I noticed a chip in my windshield. It's not a crack, only a small chip, but it's on the driver's side right in my line of sight. I'm also worried that it might become more than a chip and make matters worse.

So, have any of you CAGs used any of the windshield repair stuff? Or have you taken your car in to have it repaired? I'd love to fill the chip to the point where it is no longer a distraction while driving.

You can buy do-it-yourself repair kits for not to much money. I've never had to do it myself so can't really recommend any products. Maybe some other CAGs can help. Don't take it to a mechanic just for a small chip.

I believe in Va, where i live, if its in your line of sight it equal automatic fail when you go to have your vehicle inspected. It could also mean a faulty equipment ticket.

[quote name='wingeddragon']I believe in Va, where i live, if its in your line of sight it equal automatic fail when you go to have your vehicle inspected. It could also mean a faulty equipment ticket.[/QUOTE]

Vehicle inspections? What are those? :p

That's about one of the only good things about bass-ackwards Illinois, everyone is so busy screwing everything else up that they can't bug you about your vehicle.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Vehicle inspections? What are those? :p

That's about one of the only good things about bass-ackwards Illinois, everyone is so busy screwing everything else up that they can't bug you about your vehicle.[/quote]
Unless you have tinted windows.

OP, how big is the chip? A little tiny one shouldn't be that big of a problem unless it's in your direct line of sight (I too have no experience with these kinds of things).

The chip is less than a centimeter. Right now it's just a distraction. It could spread and get worse but right now it's just annoying. I've seen some windshield repair kits that use glue and suction cups so I might look in to that.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Call your insurance company and see if they will fix it for free. I have GEICO and they offer this kind of service.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea! I have State Farm and will call tomorrow and see what they say.

Mine started out as a chip. Fanned out to about 6 different cracks ranging from 2 to 8 inches. Had to get it replaced... they did it today for about $200. They fucked up and cracked the new one.. I didn't pay them. They're putting another one in tomorrow.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Not a bad idea! I have State Farm and will call tomorrow and see what they say.[/quote]

Let me know how that goes, I believe we have State Farm too. Anyway, I had a chip in it for the longest time and then recently a stupid rock hit that area. Now I have a crack going a third of the way across my windshield... I have to get it replace, it's too big to repair. Funny thing is there are a lot of people that have BIG cracks in their windshield for the longest time too.

They sell a do it yourself kit for fixing windshield chips for cheap. It's basically just a clear putty that fills in the chip. Really cheap and easy to do. As long as it's just a chip and not a crack, there's no point in spending $70-$200 getting your windshield replaced/fixed.

I have one of those too, I keep expecting it to spread out but so far so good. I'm going to look into a repair kit though to cover my ass

I had one repaired by a windshield place and it's pretty cheap and like some have said many insurance companies will cover the full cost of a repair.

But it does still look like a chip (at least the way mine was repaired) so if it's in your line of site and bugs you, it's still gonna bug you. There might be a more expensive repair where they 'erase' the chip but I don't know.

Numerous insurance companies cover the cost of chip repair, because they know it'll be less expensive to fix a chip now than a cracked windshield that needs full replacement later.

I'd suggest checking with them first before you do anything with fixing it yourself. There are kits that will take care of it, as others have said, though I'd check into some possible choices before doing it yourself. It doesn't make any sense to do it yourself with a bad kit, and have to deal with replacing it if it doesn't work out in the self-repair.

Chances are you will get a new window. The place your insurance gets to fix it will chances are say they will not with the location of the crack. When I had this issue it was not on the driver side so they just filled it in. The drilled a hole in the chiped area put a suction cup on it and filled it with something. They then got the rest of it that came out of the window off of my window. All it does is fill it in to keep it from geting worse. If the chip is larger then a quarter they do not garantie(sp?) it to work. Also the place that my insurance used to fill mine said that if it is on the driver side they will not fix it but will have to replace the window.

If you are distracted by it now then you will still be disteracted when it is filled it with it being on the driver side.

Those kits only work to keep it from cracking worse, it won't remove the distraction. Nothing you can do about that other than replace the window if it bugs you too much.

My last car had a chip on the passengers side for 6 years or so before I traded it in--it never cracked more. I wouldn't worry about it other than the distraction part.

bread's done
Back