Wireless adaptor

jam3582

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
ok im not to sure on what they have been talking about with this wireless adaptor buisness. I know I read that you dont need to get the xbox 360 version . I like alot of you guys here have a wireless router, I am wondering if I could buy any plain old usb wireless adaptor to get it online.

It would be nice if someone just explain to me ( if this information is available I have had no luck in finding it) what type of adaptors that I would be able to use.

i don't think a usb wireless adaptor will work via usb but will work via ethernet port. the usb 2.0 slots are for read-only type stuff (pictures, music, videos, etc)

[quote name='H-Town Info']i don't think a usb wireless adaptor will work via usb but will work via ethernet port. the usb 2.0 slots are for read-only type stuff (pictures, music, videos, etc)[/QUOTE]

hmmm that is true there are ethernet wireless adaptors ? ill look around to see.

Although there are dozens of brands of USB wireless adapters out there, they all rely ona handful of chipsets from a small number of companies. On top of this, most of their design is drawn from the reference platform typically supplied by the chip company, both for board design and software. Thus there can 15 devices that are supported by the same generic driver.

Microsoft could offer that sort of support. TiVo does it already. But I wouldn't go out and make a purchase until this is known to be fact rather than possibility. If the adapter form Microsoft is reasonably priced most people will go with that just for the sake of knowing it will definitely work without any additional setup hassles. (Beyond that of typical WiFi setup.)

If you expect to have more than one item in your entertainment center that needs Internet access, then a Wireless bridge could be a better answer. Many wireless routers with 4-port switches can be made to act as bridges with a simple software setting. This is cheaper and less hassle than a dedicated bridge and switch separately, plus it can serve as a backup to your other router if it should fail.

The official Wi-Fi adapter for the 360 is $100 and plugs in through a USB port. Whether an non-Microsoft USB wireless adapter will work though is impossible to know at this time. I would guess no, but that's just a guess. One running though the ethernet port should be much more likely to work.

[quote name='epobirs']

If you expect to have more than one item in your entertainment center that needs Internet access, then a Wireless bridge could be a better answer. Many wireless routers with 4-port switches can be made to act as bridges with a simple software setting. This is cheaper and less hassle than a dedicated bridge and switch separately, plus it can serve as a backup to your other router if it should fail.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the answering my questions guys , now epobirs here is another question if I decide to go with the wireless bridge setup what would be the pros and cons , I dont really have any knowledge on how a bridge works or setup.

bread's done
Back