Wireless N Router Time!

janlazer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Hey all, yet again,

Alright, cable's getting hooked up today. In need of a wireless router so I can FINALLY get back onto Live and PSN. Thinking of going to a Wireless N, just so I can be a little more future-proof(Don't have the N Adapter for the 360 and I know that the PS3 is compantible with 802.11N) and not have to string CAT cable all over our new place and tick off the wife.

However, I've been out of the computer side of things for a while and am wondering what's a decent and cost-effective Wireless N router that I can run out and buy today(so..No online ordering.)

Thanks in advance!

I just bought a DLink DIR-615 wireless N router for about 50 or 60 bucks at Future Shop.

It's not bad, although if you can stretch it I might suggest going with one of the new guys with multiple bandwidths in order to optimize your connection(s) and minimize interference...

[quote name='Rocky071']I just bought a DLink DIR-615 wireless N router for about 50 or 60 bucks at Future Shop.

It's not bad, although if you can stretch it I might suggest going with one of the new guys with multiple bandwidths in order to optimize your connection(s) and minimize interference...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been staring at this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX22033(ME).aspx

D-Link DIR-628 Dual Band for $80..Doesn't seem like a bad price for a dual band router. In the process of trying to suck up to the wife and pass it off as a 'necessity'. lol.

DIR-655 is pretty solid, I've had mine for more than 6 months and no problems. It often goes on sale for under $100, plus it supports the lower bandwidths pretty solidly with its 3-antenna setup.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']DIR-655 is pretty solid, I've had mine for more than 6 months and no problems. It often goes on sale for under $100, plus it supports the lower bandwidths pretty solidly with its 3-antenna setup.[/QUOTE]

I also have a DIR-655, and it's true that it supports pretty much anything, but I've had some problems with it. The firmware updates always seem to improve the reliability for a while, but then more problems. It's on and off though, so I guess it could be my ISP. When it works well though, we have 3 computers, one 360 and one PS3 connected to it at all times, no problem.

It's a good router, but from my experience and what I read online, it's not the most reliable one out there.

The PS3 has Wireless N? I thought it was only G.

I've been thinking of upgrading my trusty old Linksys for some time but it has custom firmware on it which I'll miss (Tomato firmware on a WRT54G).

I've got the DIR-655, and it's been great for me for a number of years (going on 3 I believe). Although, I go hardwire to the Xbox and PS3, so I can only really speak for wireless connections (laptop, BlackBerry)

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']The PS3 has Wireless N? I thought it was only G.[/QUOTE]
you're right only wireless G with gigabit LAN. G is compatible with N as the OP says.

bread's done
Back