Wishful Thinking - How should the GBA be retired software-wise?

SubjectNameHere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I know this has been said a few times in other posts, but I'm curious what y'all think.

My initial thoughts:

• Square + Nintendo should finish their port frenzy with Secret of Mana (or DS for multiplayer), Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore, Earthbound
  • Square ports over Seiken Densetsu 3 in the spirit of FFV and FFIII
  • Nintendo releases an updated SMB + SMB2-jp Lost Levels as Super Mario Advance V
  • Donkey Kong Classics (or DK Advance)
  • Super Punch Out Advance w/original Punch Out (like Mario Bros comes with SMA games)
  • Mother 1+2, 3 ported

I'm sure there are a lot of amazing ideas out there that would sell as well as FFVI seems to have potential to do. I wonder sometimes when Nintendo sees cult followings for Earthbound and Square sees huge HUGE followings for CT and SoM, what stops them from moving on these. They aren't making any money off of the $50-$100 copies on eBay that people seem to still buy.

I think the GBA is already retired. Look on EBGames.com at upcoming GBA games. There's exactly one listed.

Edit- I guess they took down the GBA section on their coming soon page. At one point last week it was on there with only 1 game, Final Fantasy VI.

[quote name='foundation']I know this has been said a few times in other posts, but I'm curious what y'all think.

My initial thoughts:
  • Square + Nintendo should finish their port frenzy with Secret of Mana (or DS for multiplayer), Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore, Earthbound
  • Square ports over Seiken Densetsu 3 in the spirit of FFV and FFIII
  • Nintendo releases an updated SMB + SMB2-jp Lost Levels as Super Mario Advance V
  • Donkey Kong Classics (or DK Advance)
  • Super Punch Out Advance w/original Punch Out (like Mario Bros comes with SMA games)
  • Mother 1+2, 3 ported
I'm sure there are a lot of amazing ideas out there that would sell as well as FFVI seems to have potential to do. I wonder sometimes when Nintendo sees cult followings for Earthbound and Square sees huge HUGE followings for CT and SoM, what stops them from moving on these. They aren't making any money off of the $50-$100 copies on eBay that people seem to still buy.[/quote]Not that I don't want the ports, but I would rather have all those games on the VC instead, it would be cheaper. What I think should happen is players choice all the good GBA games and well end it from there.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Not that I don't want the ports, but I would rather have all those games on the VC instead, it would be cheaper. What I think should happen is players choice all the good GBA games and well end it from there.[/QUOTE]

Or we can live in the real world, where we'll have two things happen:

1) Games based off of Disney shows nobody's ever heard of galore

and

2) Whoever wants to be the next Majesco can step up and reprint classic third-party GBA titles, like they used to do with the SNES and Genesis (they even made the Genesis 3 consoles, IIRC). There's a litany of amazing GBA games I never bought. So repress 'em and sell them for $10-15!

[quote name='foundation']Oh. Ow.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it literally died overnight which is surprising given that it sold 850,000 units this christmas.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, it literally died overnight which is surprising given that it sold 850,000 units this christmas.[/QUOTE]
it is pretty much dead in Japan already. The GBA will probably die with some crappy license game.

Everything will be ported the the DS.

I think it would be a smart move for a lot of companies just to release SNES games for the GBA for $20. After the price of a cart / box that would be about the same price as a VC game with a much bigger base.

Unless Nintendo is willing to finally break down and give us Mother, I would say after FFVI, the GBA is as good as dead. It's actually kind of sad, because there's still a lot of room left, even assuming that there will never be another system seller. Chrono Trigger Advance or Secret of Mana Advance would sell like crazy.

Super Mario Bros. 4.

Sprite-based. New mechanics. An actual successor to the greatness of 3. That would be the most fantastic swan song.

And it will never happen.

I'd go for Seiken Densetsu 3 or Mother 1/2 or 3. Everything else will be on VC but that, so I'd rather only buy them once.

[quote name='daroga']Super Mario Bros. 4.

Sprite-based. New mechanics. An actual successor to the greatness of 3. That would be the most fantastic swan song.

And it will never happen.[/QUOTE]

That would be sweet. Maybe they'll do a 'New Super Mario Bros. 3' on the DS.

[quote name='wubb']That would be sweet. Maybe they'll do a 'New Super Mario Bros. 3' on the DS.[/quote]I'm hoping that's their plan. "New Super Mario Bros. 3" "New Super Mario World" etc., but we'll see.

I just want one last sprite Mario game. :)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think the GBA is already retired. Look on EBGames.com at upcoming GBA games. There's exactly one listed.

Edit- I guess they took down the GBA section on their coming soon page. At one point last week it was on there with only 1 game, Final Fantasy VI.[/quote]

I was just reading the newest (March) Nintendo Power and they list at least 25+ GBA currently in development. And not all CG movie tie-ins either.

[quote name='daroga']Super Mario Bros. 4.

And it will never happen.[/QUOTE]
That last line made me depressed man.

Well I'd say that I want to see a Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana port, but at this point, I'd much rather see those ported to the DS instead.

I'd much rather see, you know, games that are out in Japan, are fucking great, and have never seen the light of day over here. Rhythym Tengoku, I'm looking at you.

I'd rather have RPG ports to the DS now simply because we've got a better chance of having two in a package rather then just one.

[quote name='furyk']I'd much rather see, you know, games that are out in Japan, are fucking great, and have never seen the light of day over here. Rhythym Tengoku, I'm looking at you.

I'd rather have RPG ports to the DS now simply because we've got a better chance of having two in a package rather then just one.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that? Are there a lot of two-in-one games / packages on DS?

I wish this would happen:
More Player's Choice of GBA titles.
More ports of SNES games.
More Classic NES Series games.
Collections of Virtual Console games for those who don't have a Wii.
Official MP3 player compatible to the GBA,SP, and GBM with extras from Nintendo that you can download.

If the GBA were to have a swan song, I'd hope for US released Mother 3 (it's going to be in fuckin English anyway from the EU release) and Rhythm Tengoku.

The cheap ass in me would rather see those snes ports head over to the Wii but I'll be satisfied with Final Fantasy VI as the last title I get for the system.

[quote name='alongx']If the GBA were to have a swan song, I'd hope for US released Mother 3 (it's going to be in fuckin English anyway from the EU release) and Rhythm Tengoku.[/QUOTE]

The European release of Mother 3 was just a rumor that popped up last July, and has yet to be confirmed. Don't count on it ever happening.

bread's done
Back