With 1up gone... [Suggest a Podcast]

Vegan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
What's a GOOD gaming podcast to subscribe to, to fill the 1up Yours void? It was my only source of gaming news.

First Gaming Steve, then Game Theory, now this. Only the good die young, I guess?

PS - Obviously, you don't need to suggest the CAGcast. I'm sure everyone here listens to that.

I really appreciate this thread for alternative podcasts. I loved listening to all the 1up shows, even if I didn't play WoW or sports games.
More suggestions would be great.

meanwhile, links to the aforementioned podcasts-
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=171005&site=pcg pc gamer
http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/ Giant bombcast
http://playerone.libsyn.com/ Player one Podcast
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/podcast gamers with jobs
http://www.robotpanic.com/?cat=10 drunken gamer radio

Giant Bomb and Gamers with Jobs are just about the last, good podcasts that feature solid gaming news discourse. For entertainment value, Joystiq is okay. I think Game Scoop and Podcast Beyond are more entertaining, though.

Gah. I can't think of one that replaces my top three (1UP Yours, LAN Party, 1UP FM). In all honesty, the CAGcast was a distant fourth and GiantBombcast even more so. I'll pray at least two of the ex-podcasters join someone that lets them podcast.

I hated Giant Bomb and Gamerscore blog podcasts. I really like Joystiq podcast (it grows on you after a while) and the Podtoid (from Destructoid) and also the Major Nelson podcast. Of course the Cagcast and the Cag fore play podcasts are a must.

video game outsiders
sarcastic gamer podcast (red show)
IGN's Three red lights podcast (xbox 360)

GFW was by far my favorite gaming podcast. I really think they gave the most throught provoking game discussions, but they could balance that with genuine humor that didn't resort to the childish innuendo that most game podcasts resort to. It's a shame that the new Lan Party podcast won't continue, I still really enjoyed the cast after Jeff and Shawn left.

Ever since GFW ended Gamers With Jobs has been my podcast of choice. I think the show has gotten significantly better each month I listen to it, both in the discussions and the interactions of the podcasting crew. Plus they have had the former GFW crew (Jeff and Shawn) on a few times. Now that 1up is no more, this is by far the best podcast IMO. The only thing that holds it back for me is sometimes they devote too much time to MMO's. If you aren't playing the MMO being discussed, it can get boring fast.

I've tried many other gaming podcasts but I've had a lot of trouble finding podcasts that equal the quality of 1upyours and the former GFW Radio.

PCGamer - I would only recommend this if you are a big pc gamer. The podcast desperately needs some personality, and I'm surpised they don't delve into deeper discussion about games. It's more a news podcast with light commentary.

Playeronepodcast - I tried this a few times, none of the personalities really grabbed me

Sarcasticgamer - They had some funny skits, but when I listened a year ago, they completely dismissed the PC, PS3 and wii. I need a little more balance.

DrunkenGamers (formerly Team Freemont Live) - I tried a few times with this one, I couldn't get over the drunken gamer shtick, I felt like they kept reminding me they were drinking.

I'll have to give GiantBomb another try, I swear there was somebody on there that would constantly jump into announcer voice (not Jeff G......man), and I couldn't get past it. But I'll give it another chance.

So I'm now down to just 3 or so gaming podcasts that I listen to weekly from the 6 I used to enjoy.

My RIP podcast list
Game Theory
GFW Radio
Lan Party
1upyours

Still listen to:
Gamerswithjobs
Cagcast
Pcgamer

I would love to get some recommendations too, especially any along the lines of a GFW Radio or Gamerswithjobs.

I just don't like podcasts, but I do love the 1UP video show... any other websites that do a similar roundtable discussion? I prefer discussions over reviews.

orangeloungeradio is great.
ultimate quest is a great RPG podcast.
Try the Destructoid podcasts, especially RetroforceGo which is now the best retro gaming podcast since Retronauts is gone.

UGO should die in a fire.

fuck giant bombcast.

all they care about it triple A and other games with buzz... they approach more niche things with nothing but ignorance and with an attitude like these games don't matter

Wow, wtf.

fuck'n UGO... seriously this is insane. I've been listening to GFW, 1upYours, Legendary Thread for a long fuckin time. How the hell are they gone?

This is bullshit.

It looks like 1UP will still have a podcast from what I read on Garnett's Twitter and the latest CAGcast mentioned Suttner and Kollar doing a podcast.

"to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends" SOURCE

[quote name='JEKKI']fuck giant bombcast.

all they care about it triple A and other games with buzz... they approach more niche things with nothing but ignorance and with an attitude like these games don't matter[/quote]

Maybe they dont have an interest in those games. In retrospect most niche games dont matter to the industry overall.

[quote name='Hostile']It looks like 1UP will still have a podcast from what I read on Garnett's Twitter and the latest CAGcast mentioned Suttner and Kollar doing a podcast.

"to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends" SOURCE[/quote]

1up Yours continuing with a different crew is pointless, IMO.

I like the RebelFM idea, just making a new podcast with the same people and continuing. I hope a few podcasts with that model come about soon.

Drunken Gamers sounds pretty obnoxious. "Hey, it works for Diggnation, we should do the same thing! lolololololol"

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Maybe they dont have an interest in those games. In retrospect most niche games dont matter to the industry overall.[/QUOTE]and that's my problem with their podcast.

fuck the industry... what about GAMERS?!?!?!

I'm all about the culture, not the market... and ppl with podcasts/journalists/etc have the power to encourage the culture, not hold it back

[quote name='Vegan']1up Yours continuing with a different crew is pointless, IMO.

I like the RebelFM idea, just making a new podcast with the same people and continuing. I hope a few podcasts with that model come about soon.[/quote]

It won't be called 1UP Yours. I'm pretty sure Garnett's killing off that name. Let's not forget though that some of the people still there did podcast so it'll be a new Friday show to confirm weekends.

[quote name='JEKKI']fuck giant bombcast.

all they care about it triple A and other games with buzz... they approach more niche things with nothing but ignorance and with an attitude like these games don't matter[/quote]

I feel like their opinions are too similar sometimes and they've gotten rather annoying since they brought that keyboard (?) in.

Kombo.com has a couple of podcasts going on. I really like them. The sound quality is great too.

Player One Podcast
Giant Bombcast
Joystiq Podcast (Although it's really hit or miss and kinda lengthy)

Recommendations I've heard
Idle Thumbs
Gamers with Jobs

I listened to Orange Lounge Radio after the recommendations in this thread. It's a good podcast, but very long; longer than 1UP Yours.

[quote name='DQT']None. I expect the Cagcast to be doubly better to make up for no 1up yours.[/quote]

Wouldn't that require preparation? :lol:

Jeremy Parish (sp)? will still be around with Retronauts which is just fantastic. As is stated on 1up, it's a podcast for old people. And at the ripe old age of 27, I really enjoy it.

That, Giant Bomb and the Cagcast are really the only ones I listen to regularly.

[quote name='Chase']I listened to Orange Lounge Radio after the recommendations in this thread. It's a good podcast, but very long; longer than 1UP Yours.[/QUOTE]

You should take this in stride.

So, as suggested by this thread, I added the last three Orange Lounge Radios to my regular podcast feeds (of which there are over 30).

If these last three shows are indicative of the usual quality of the shows, I suggest passing on this program. It is an hour longer than it has any need to be (each episode runs around 2.5 hrs), and everyone on the show is pretty freaking snobbish. Honestly, I don't get the appeal at all. Then again, I hate the Joystiq podcast as well, and they have a legion of fans.

I'll try the last three Player One Podcasts tomorrow.

bread's done
Back