Work Question

Nesmaster75

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey everyone, this is actually my first lifestlye question in the years I've been a member of this site, but I'm hoping maybe someone could give me advice. So, I work at Best Buy, and they really try pushing credit cards (if you couldn't tell during your visits haha). I may be one of the few who don't jam it down people's throats, but now, my store is doing something new. Apparently, they're calling employees in their office to sign something saying you'll get a card a day. But someone told me (without anyone else knowing) that they didn't think they went through corporate for this. So, my question to you guys is if I don't sign that paper, even with all the threats they may tell me, could I fight this? I'm never one to push people, and I never will. So if you guys think it's a lost cause, I'm just going to quit after being there for like 4 years. Sorry for writing you all a book haha, but just want to get some advice from my favorite community.

If you're going to quit because of this problem then just call up Corporate HR and ask them. Worst case Corporate will think you're a problem employee and "helps" you out the door quicker, best case Corporate will come down and bop a couple local manages on the head.

Oh also you probably shouldn't do anything until you actually see and read the form, in fact if you can get a copy to "take home and read over" that would be best. It's amazing how employees can misread things and how easily management can burn documents when called to task.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably pointless to fight it as Massachusetts is an at-will work state; they have the legal right to fire you for any non-discriminatory reason or no reason at all. It's better to quit with notice and to be able to tell future employers you did it because didn't think the policy was right rather than refuse to sign and be fired.

Thanks for the responses guys!

[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']Probably pointless to fight it as Massachusetts is an at-will work state; they have the legal right to fire you for any non-discriminatory reason or no reason at all. It's better to quit with notice and to be able to tell future employers you did it because didn't think the policy was right rather than refuse to sign and be fired.[/QUOTE]
Would this make a difference if it's in New Hampshire? I live in MA, but I work in the NH Best Buy. But what you said is what I'm leaning towards. I hate seeing every worker jam cards down each customers throats... I know it's a business, but a simple "no" from the customer should be all you have to hear. But I think I'm going to do what you said, since it is how I feel. Thanks again for the response!

Best Buy is notorious for this nonsense. I get that a business must pursue opportunities, but it gets to a horrible point.

[quote name='Nesmaster75']Would this make a difference if it's in New Hampshire? I live in MA, but I work in the NH Best Buy. But what you said is what I'm leaning towards. I hate seeing every worker jam cards down each customers throats... I know it's a business, but a simple "no" from the customer should be all you have to hear. But I think I'm going to do what you said, since it is how I feel. Thanks again for the response![/QUOTE]
It actually might. The state labor board site for NH says it would be the same as MA but it looks like there might have been a change in the at-will law this year in NH. Best bet is to call the state labor board; phone number seems to be (603) 271-3176.

Sucks for you OP, I know I hate pushy sales people. It's quite alot to make you get 1 a day eventually that'd be impossible even for the pushiest person. I have a BB card but GS people really piss me off... Are you SURE you don't wanna pre-order Barbies Big Day 3? It's the only way you'll get it! What are you SURE?? It's only $5....

My advice? You're going to run into situations like this at just about any job where they're eventually going to ask you to do something you do not want to. You really need to pick and choose your battles and I don't see it benefiting you to charge into battle like a hardass on this one. Because it sounds like a blanket policy, it's managements decision to make it part of the job for everyone. I could see reason to dispute if they suddenly decide to make you clean the bathrooms everyday when you are supposed to be in computer sales or cashiering.

But at the end of the day, if you simply don't agree with the change in policy you are free to move on to another job. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be pushing sales because that's not who I am and I don't like getting asked constantly. Your results are going to reflect the effort put into it as well.. if you ask like you are just doing it because you are supposed to, people will pick up on that and decline without hesitation.

I think you should read the document and discuss the implications with your manager before making any decisions.

I agree with QiG - there's always going to be a policy that you don't agree with at any job, and you need to choose your battles. Is losing your job (voluntarily or not) really worth it? How quickly can you get another job?

depends on how old you are and where you're at in life. Is BB going to be your career or are you "just there for the summer"?

bread's done
Back