Workout/weight advice appreciated

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
What I'm looking for is to get the most out of my workout. When I lost a shitton of weight years ago, I did it very badly. My body shape changed little, aside from a little excess fat going away.

This time, I'm doing it right.

I try to drink my recommended daily water rations. I've been taking some men's vitamins, and Xenadrine EFX. I don't take any other supplements. My situation is this: I'm 5'9", 222 (down from 240). I'm not huge. My body type is best described as a tank: low, powerful and slow. My legs are like tree trunks, and are just as firm when engaged. I have a little extra around my stomach and chest, and my arms aren't much to look at. I want to lose the weight at my stomach, and build up my chest and arms primarily.

My workout looks like this: 1 or 2 sessions on the elliptical (33 minutes, typically cover about 2.05-2.2 miles, different levels of resistance and angle), two sets on the arm curl at about 75#, two sets on the overhead pull at 175#, two sets on the incline press at 170#, a few sets of 50 of crunches on the machine and sometimes I'll do two sets of leg presses at about 275# (knees won't take 400# anymore). A set for me consists of 12 reps, done fairly quickly. I do this anywhere between 3-6 days a week.

Now, I notice some pull in my biceps, but that's it. I need some advice on how to maximize my workout. Should I alternate days of cardio and machines? Should I concentrate and do the reps slower, possibly at the expense of less sets? Any supplements I should add?

As far as my ideal body image when I'm done, think Gerald Butler from 300. Of course, I probably won't come close, especially as I think my shoulders would be wider than that. I don't want my legs to be much bigger, buying pants is hard enough. Maybe some more definition than just being trunks, but that is it. No more mass, they are heavy enough.

I'm willing to put the time and energy into this to make it work, but I need to know what I need to improve. I have about two hours a session (8:30-1, 4:30-830) that the nursery can watch my girls. I could do both sessions up until school starts in June. I think the tricky thing is I'm trying to get lean and have bulk at the same time. When it comes to supplements, the sky is not the limit either. I figure I have a comfortable $25 at a time to spend on more.

exrx.net

Best site I've found on weight training.

This guy I know who is a physical therapist and is ripped recommended to me a 2-day split Push/Pull workout. That's what he uses, and if he uses it it's good enough for me. For core/abs he does a fitness ball workout. There are plenty of good workout templates that have all the possible exercises you can do for each workout buried in that site somewhere (I just don't feel like digging for them right now). EDIT: http://exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

I'm in a similar situation, though I'm pretty tall. My legs are huge but my upper body needs work. I'd suggest working your whole body though, otherwise, you'll start looking goofy.

I eat a decent amount of carbs before workout, drink a decent amount of water too. During workout drink water or gatorade (gatorade for longer workouts). After workout eat protein (I usually eat a turkey burger or two). And make sure you eat within a half hour after you lift for maximum results.

Also, focus more during your reps and slow down. You should be in control of the weight and focus on squeezing the muscles you are trying to work. Sometimes I see guys in the gym doing 12 reps in 12 seconds - not a great idea. Breathe out when you're doing the work.

You should easily be able to do a full body workout in two hours. As far as supplements go, I'm not sure. I don't use them, though they are probably not a bad idea depending on what you're taking. Eating right, while not as good as supplements, will definitely help.

There's a ton of information on that site.

Nice. Carbs give energy, but do I really need them? What is a decent amount? How much protein do I need, and can I take it in the form of a supplement? I think that might be cheaper than buying massive amounts of food.

Thanks for the tip on the weights. I'm that guy, BTW. I want to get it over with as fast as possible, one reason why I haven't seen the results methinks.

I'm not even sure I have time to do 300 reps on the machines a day. Damn.

Last, a question on the cardio. Do I really need that second set of 33 minutes?

STEP ONE:

LOSE WEIGHT. If you have excess fat around your stomach (the men's problem area), get the fuck rid of it.

This is done through limiting calorie intake (cut carbs and fats especially, NO JUNK FOOD PERIOD), and RUNNING.

RUN. RUN. RUN.

I can't say anymore than that.

Also try this workout:

Two dumbells, 10-15lbs each in hands, in push-up possition with dumbells parrallel to body. Start up in push-up position. Go down, go up and lift right hand to chests, go down, go up and lift left hand to chest. Do 50 reps or to failure.

This will both strengthen your arms, tighten your core, and most importantly burn calories while maximizing strengthening.

I cannot stress the importance of the push-up enough. It strengthens muscles around your ribs that are necessary to do effective presses later on.

There is no such thing as turninig fat into muscle. Fat does nothing but get in the way of training. Try to get body fat down to 10% before you worry about muscle.

STEP TWO:

Gain weight. Once your body fat is down to 10% (I preffer more like 5% myself, but that's on the low end of athletes... Gerald Butler definitely measures below the readable amount of bodyfat) you can worry about gaining some weight. This is where Gerald Butler talks about working out for 3 hours a day.

You don't have to do that, though. I workout every other day for an hour and I'm in fine shape. I'd like to be bigger, but that takes time.

Most important things to remember:

EAT. You need to eat, or you are doing NOTHING for yourself. If you are hungry, eat. Hungryness is BAD. Not only does being hungry train your brain to store up excess fat, but it means your body needs more stuff to rebuild itself and fuel your energy. Eating regularly gets your body used to your diet. Instead of storing up fats your body will use those nutrients to rebuild the muscle you've systematically DESTROYED in workouts. Remember, you aren't building muscle in the gym, you are DESTROYING muscle so your body can build it again during your sleep. Which also means GET SLEEP. Bodybuilders need much more sleep than anyone. 9 hours is the minimum.

Protein should be 20-50% of your diet. You should be eating 1-2 grams per lbs of your bodyweight. Carbs make up 30% to 60% of your diet, and fat the other 20%-30%. But that isn't the bad fat. Eat good fats. Omega-3 fatty acids.

(18-20) x (weight) = Daily Calories

If you have more than 15% bodyfat, you are high bodyfat. Eat more protein, less carbs and fat.

Also carbs should be good carbs, not sugars. Dietary fiber is a must. You should be regular.

The most important thing in your diet besides EATING is DRINKING. Water is extremely important. There's no benefit eating if your body can't transport the nutrients where they belong. At least 9 glasses a day.

There are also things you can do with your diet pre and post workout. Lietenent dan hinted on the carbs. Eat them before your workout to maximize the energy you can expend in systematically destroying your muscle tissue.

During the actual workout, you want to do sets to failure. At the end of each set, you should have done all that you could do. THIS DOESN'T MEAN MORE REPS, this means more weight.

Pile on that weight. But make sure you have good form. If half the people in the gym were worried more about form than impressing the ladies with too much weight, they'd not only look cooler lifting, but they'd have better bodies.

I've probably said enough. There's alot of information out there. Also take into consideration tips at the gym. I've gotten alot of brilliant workouts to build up those my trouble spots (my forearms were ripped in a month thanks to a single workout a dude at the gym showed me).

But remember, right now you want cardio stuff. Burn those calories and strengthen those neglected muscles that you'll need if you want to start lifting well.

Push ups to fail (there is so much variety in push ups you can do, google push-ups and pick out some nice ones). Sit ups to fail (you'll move into crunches later). 2 sets of leg lifts to fail. And running, 1-3 miles a day. WATER WATER WATER and NO JUNK FOOD.

Also, if you can't check your bodyfat through those little clips, a foolproof way is looking at your abs. In men fat go directly to your gut, so low bodyfat means visible abs. When you can see your abs clearly (and other muscles like your calves and lean arms), you're good to lift.

Appreciate the tips.

A) I don't run. I can't run. I can do over an hour on the elliptical, but 5 minutes on the treadmill kill me. I can't explain why. It's not as if I'm not doing the work on the elliptical either, over two miles in each semgent (avg 110-150 strides per minute). I can work harder at increasing my speed, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to run. I really, really wish I could. It may be something to do with how I run. My wife says I run very flat footed, but I watched some other people at the gym and it looked like they were running in the same manner as I do. It seems like it's the shock of the weight hitting the ground and rebounding wears me out, if that makes sense. I did 66 minutes on the elliptical one day last week (stopping every 16:30 for ten seconds to drink water) and felt great. Wasn't even that tired. Hopped on the treadmill to see how much I could do. Walked at 3.0 for a minute, then 3.5 for a minute, then bumped it up to 5.0. Lasted 2:30 at that speed. It was pathetic. If I could figure out what I was doing wrong, I'd be very happy to incorporate that in my workout.

I will say that many years ago, I did enjoy running through woods and up and down trails. Don't think there is anything like that here, though.

B) I like that push-up idea. I can do those, the situps are the hard part. I think that boils down to my core is not strong enough.

C) I went on the SBD, that's how I lost most of those pounds. Right now, I've hit a plateau. I can't seem to lose any more pounds, or cut anything off the problem areas. Arms feel a little better, but not much.

You definitely have weight to lose. I think the not running thing boils down to your core as well.

I recommend watching the diet alot too if you're not going to be able to excercise as much.

Push yourself on the running, it's really very important.

I don't know much about elliptical machines. Never really used them. All I know is they're supposed to minimize joint stress. It's probably okay to do your cardio on that, but on a treadmill with incline you could probably do it much faster. Also it worries me if you can do the elliptical fine and running not. I'm more of a traditional guy. Free-weights, a slab of concrete and a jogging path are my tools.

It sounds to me like you do need to lose that weight and strengthen the core. If you can't do a sit up, you can try the ab machine. I like to put on 60 lbs and just rock back and forth no more than 5°. Once you get that fat out of the way, you'll be able to do sit-ups.

Once you're building muscle you'll probably move to crunches. They burn less calories than sit-ups, though they also don't target as many muscles, and they don't target them in the same way that cardio-frendly sit-ups do.

Also the leg hold things. Lie on your back and hold your legs suspended 6-8 inches off the ground. I'm sure that will kill you right away. If you get abs like you want them, you should be able to do it steady for at least a minute. Push yourself.

Also on the carb thing, carbs are necessary to get protein to your muscles. Taking in 20-25 grams of protein and around 150 or more carbs after a workout is a good way to get that protein to your muscles fast so your body can start rebuilding. The effects of doing this properly will also be noticed by how much less sore you will be between workouts. Pastas are good for this. I'd suppose Mac n' Cheese would work. But it has to be quick after your workout. Energy bars with lots of carbs and a good amount of protein would probably work.

Fair enough. I don't like free weights at all, I like to use the Cybex machines. That's where I do my curls, presses and pulldowns. They also make a raised ab/crunch platform, that's where I do my situps/crunches/whathaveyou. I do those fast, too, though.

I'm headed to the gym now with some pen and paper, to log what I can do now and where I would like to be. Later today I'll share that. I'm also going to hit the store and price some dumbbells (I think the wife has 2, 5, and maybe 10 I could use) and regular weights. Last I checked they ran about .60 a pound, I'll see if that's in the budget.

On the pushups with bells: is one movement of down, up, lift up, then down a set, or is the other arm included too?

I may as well ask here:

My schedule recently changed dramatically, and I can't quite figure out how to adapt my workout schedule.

Right now it looks like this (cardio involves 60 minutes elliptical or 40 minutes running/20 minutes bike; derby is a 2-hour rollerderby practice where I'm using mostly leg and somewhat core muscles regularly; weights days also include 30 minutes on the treadmill)

Sunday: derby
Monday: weights (legs/abs)
Tuesday: derby
Wednesday: cardio/derby
Thursday: weights (arms/back)
Friday: cardio
Saturday weights (chest/shoulders)

Now, my problem is how to arrange my schedule so I stop pulling my leg muscles. There doesn't seem to be an ideal placement for leg lifting. To be clear, I can't change derby days - those are preset. I'm open to any other options for moving around my other activities.

i have to get one of those damn bike machines pronto... i hate running too..

i almost bought a punching bag the other day but the deal fell through...

I'm 5'11, 140 pounds. I do 150 push ups and 300 sit ups daily. I also play DDR, walk as much as possible and drink a shitload of water/green tea. Honestly my workout takes a good half hour a day and then I just go about my business. I find it very easy to look good when you are incredibly skinny.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']I find it very easy to look good when you are incredibly skinny.[/QUOTE]

allenfront.gif

OK, took some advice and went to the gym. Here's what I did, in order:

Precor EFX546i (Elliptical)
Program 8, Weight Loss Interval
Program is Low (Crossramp 4, Resistance 1) and High (Crossramp 10, Resistance 8)
4m Low, 4m High, 4m Low, 4m High, 4m Low, 4m High, 4m Low, 5m Low cooldown = total 33 minutes
Stats: 106 starting HR, 144 avg HR, 172 high HR - I really pushed it today
4559 strides, 2.26 miles (personal best)

Cybex Seated Leg Press
50 reps @ 250#

Cybex Lat Pull
30 reps @ 100#

Cybex Dual Axis Chest Press
30 reps @100#

Cybex Overhead Press
15 reps @ 75#

Cybex Lat Raise
20 reps @50#

Cybex Arm Extension
25 reps @ 50#

Cybex Arm Curl
25 reps @ 50#

I had never done the overhead press, lat raise or arm extension today. After I did the leg press at my normal weight, I toned down every other one because my legs gave way when I stood up. I had the thought that I would try to get to 50 reps on each machine, then raise the weight to the next whole bar and repeat. I don't know if that is a good way to go or not.

The other thing I'm unsure of is my pattern. I want to incorporate things like Russian Twists and the Ab Curl machine, but I didn't want to push it too hard the first 'real' time out. I could do exactly what I did today every other day, and the off days do double the elliptical and do the ab excercises? Or incorporate the abs into the main and just do cardio every other day, or do everything every day. I don't know how to proceed, and I've been told variations on all of those by different people.

Also, I need to figure out how to get those carbs in before the gym as it stands now. I'm trying to get to the gym about 8:30-9:00A, and remember I have kids as well. I would think cereal would have too much sugar.

My food thus far has been 1/2 Eng Muffin with 1 EB egg, 1 5% Am cheese slice, and i slice turkey bacon. Snack (as I'm leaving for gym) is a South Beach protein bar, and then I was bad for lunch (which I won't normally be). I've had roughly 56oz of water thus far today (7 glasses).

I'm 5' 10" and I weight about 275 lbs. I started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and even though i'm still 275 lbs i lost 6 pants sizes and I noticed that every part of my body is stronger. On top of that its really fun to do it. I do about 2-4 hours of training about 5 -6 times a week. When i finish I do some alligator walks, bear crawls, and crab walks. I watch my diet but not religiously. Maybe you should take a martial arts class. I weight the same as when i started jiu jitsu but I know i'm in much better shape than when i was at 200 lbs.

Augh. I hate machines. Free weights train your target muscles AND their balance muscles. Free weights can do so much more than machines.

[quote name='PyroGamer']

I've probably said enough. There's alot of information out there. Also take into consideration tips at the gym. I've gotten alot of brilliant workouts to build up those my trouble spots (my forearms were ripped in a month thanks to a single workout a dude at the gym showed me).
[/QUOTE]

What's this said forearm workout? I'd like to know a good one.

ive been using the MAX-OT workout routine and have seen major improvements in strength and size http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/downloads/Max-OT.zip but then again that just me

1. Each workout should last approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
4. Do 4 to 6 reps per set.
5. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. (STR)
6. Train each muscle group once every 5 to 7 days. (ITR)
7. Take a 1 week break from training every 8 to 10 weeks.

Too much stuff to type out, as Ive done it before in other threads (I think in javeryh's thread). I disagree with a lot of the stuff that the first couple people have posted. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me and I will answer them.

Drink water when you workout, gator-aid sucks unless you are a marathon runner. I agree with the carbs before you workout. But with that said, oatmeal is the best, sweet potatos are a close second.

Post workout, there is a specific formula of simple carbs, complex carbs, protein, and sodium that is optimal for muscle repair.

You are already bulked. Cardio should be a part of your routine, but weight lifting should be just as important. Building lean muscle is insanely hard, so cutting down to 5% body fat and then gaining muscle is not the way to go. Any body builder will tell you there are bulking and cutting phases, they go from lean to thick, then thick to lean. It is insanely hard to not lose muscle when you are cutting. All the cardio and diet rips that muscle a part.

If you want to get big, lose the full body workouts. You really need to tear down your muscles for real growth, which means you need to make a split (I like 5 day splits). This gives you 90 minutes concentrating on 1,2, or 3 muscles instead of say 10.

This is one of my bulking splits Ive done in the past

Day 1- Shoulders, Traps, Calves

Day 2- Triceps, Forearms, Abs

Day 3- AM- cardio
PM- Back, Shoulders/Traps, Lower Back

Day 4- Chest, Triceps, Abs

Day 5- Legs, Calves, Shoulders/Traps

Day 6- Biceps, Triceps, Forearms

Day 7- Cardio

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Is there any reason I shouldn't try to do cardio every day? I still want to lose the gut that I have.

Yeah, I'm with cochese. I'm trying to do cardio everyday so that I can lose the flab so that any defintion I get will be noticable. Is this a good idea?

I went on Thursday and was exhausted Sat morning. Went and did 30 min of cardio anyways.

Today I'm going to try a slightly different approach, but I haven't figured out what yet.

I follow the routine that afedock posted, for the most part. I do not do full body workouts - I alternate three different days of muscle groups 5 days a week (I do NOTHING on the weekends - I need to recover at some point).

Day 1: Chest, Triceps
Day 2: Back, Biceps
Day 3: Legs, Shoulders

This is just a generalization as I do work in other exercises each day. I do almost an hour of cardio after I lift every single day I workout (again, no weekends). I spend roughly 35-40 minutes on the elliptical and varying speeds and angles and then I sprint/run on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes. I am dripping wet with sweat afterwards and it feels great. I've lost 30lbs. in about 4 months (231 to 201 - I'm 6')

I am looking to add possibly a protein supplement or something to my diet. I eat what I want generally for lunch and dinners but I always limit myself to one portion and I do try to eat healthy. I snack a lot too - lots of fruit and now I'm onto granola bars which give me a boost of energy in the middle of the day. Also, after dinner every night I eat a Weight Watchers chocolate fudge ice cream bar - it keeps me sane. Also, I haven't had a single drop of alcohol since New Year's Eve and I think it makes a huge difference.

I've got about 10 more pounds to lose before I stop trying to lose weight and shift into trying to get more muscle definition although by default I'm pretty ripped right now everywhere except for my stomach where the last 10 pounds currently reside. Even the wife notices and I see her every day so I must be doing something right (and it depresses her because she's 7 months pregnant - oh well!).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Fair enough. I don't like free weights at all, I like to use the Cybex machines. That's where I do my curls, presses and pulldowns. They also make a raised ab/crunch platform, that's where I do my situps/crunches/whathaveyou. I do those fast, too, though.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen anyone say this yet (too much to read, at work so apologies if it's been mentioned) but get off the machines and stick to free weights. I personally prefer working solely with dumbells, but to each his own. From my experience, using machines forces an unnatural motion to the exercise (depending on length of forearm, upper arm, etc...) compared to free weights. They also isolate certain muscles and do not work others. For example, take the 75lb you're curling. Now trying doing that standing up with a curling bar (or dumbells) and proper form. You'll most likely find that it's much harder. Using free weights you work all the muscles in the area, including the ones used for stabilizing while you life, which I think it better to prevent injuries.

Javeryh, congrats on all the weight you've been losing. I read your other posts to and I plan on losing weight soon and seeing you accomplishing it is very positive.
I had used weightwatchers.com when I lost 20 pounds for my wedding, but have added on 40 pounds since than. I'm 6' and now weigh 240, and I want to get down to 190-200. I'm gonna do weight watchers again to help aid in food intake and keep going to the gym using the cardio machines. I hate lifting weights so I'll focus on that later.

[quote name='mzbagel']I haven't seen anyone say this yet (too much to read, at work so apologies if it's been mentioned) but get off the machines and stick to free weights. I personally prefer working solely with dumbells, but to each his own. From my experience, using machines forces an unnatural motion to the exercise (depending on length of forearm, upper arm, etc...) compared to free weights. They also isolate certain muscles and do not work others. For example, take the 75lb you're curling. Now trying doing that standing up with a curling bar (or dumbells) and proper form. You'll most likely find that it's much harder. Using free weights you work all the muscles in the area, including the ones used for stabilizing while you life, which I think it better to prevent injuries.[/QUOTE]

Honestly if there were no machines, I still wouldn't touch the weights. Mostly a mental thing, but I have no idea what the proper form is anyways. In all honesty, I won't touch the free weights unless I absolutely have to.

Freeweights give you better results.. Also decrease the overall Weights in your exercise and try to go for longer reps. Longer reps typically give more definition and get you stronger. From there move up in 5-10 LB increments and try to do the same amount of reps.

Dumbells, IMO give you the best results. Ab exercises are a bitch so using a medicine ball helps in the begining. Also, if you are wary of using freeweights, try to do as many pushups as you can in one sit in. Whatever number you get do 3 sets of that number and try to increase the number of pushups by one everyday.

Also 20 minutes of cardio everyday after you work out is a MUST. Do cardio last so you have the stamina to finish your entire workout.

This thread is GOLD. Glad your on the path to a long healthy future. Big ups to you.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Honestly if there were no machines, I still wouldn't touch the weights. Mostly a mental thing, but I have no idea what the proper form is anyways. In all honesty, I won't touch the free weights unless I absolutely have to.[/QUOTE]

Well you absolutely have to, since I say so. Man up and use free weights, it will pay off. You say you do not know proper form, but I saw that exrx was mentioned earlier in the thread, all proper form can be derived from there. DO IT!

[quote name='3kingdoms']Freeweights give you better results.. Also decrease the overall Weights in your exercise and try to go for longer reps. Longer reps typically give more definition and get you stronger. From there move up in 5-10 LB increments and try to do the same amount of reps.

Dumbells, IMO give you the best results. Ab exercises are a bitch so using a medicine ball helps in the begining. Also, if you are wary of using freeweights, try to do as many pushups as you can in one sit in. Whatever number you get do 3 sets of that number and try to increase the number of pushups by one everyday.

Also 20 minutes of cardio everyday after you work out is a MUST. Do cardio last so you have the stamina to finish your entire workout.

This thread is GOLD. Glad your on the path to a long healthy future. Big ups to you.[/QUOTE]

Damn it I knew it would be you that bumped this.

[quote name='mzbagel']I haven't seen anyone say this yet (too much to read, at work so apologies if it's been mentioned) but get off the machines and stick to free weights. I personally prefer working solely with dumbells, but to each his own. From my experience, using machines forces an unnatural motion to the exercise (depending on length of forearm, upper arm, etc...) compared to free weights. They also isolate certain muscles and do not work others. For example, take the 75lb you're curling. Now trying doing that standing up with a curling bar (or dumbells) and proper form. You'll most likely find that it's much harder. Using free weights you work all the muscles in the area, including the ones used for stabilizing while you life, which I think it better to prevent injuries.[/QUOTE]

Free weights are important, but machines have their spot in a workout also. One method is doing a couple exercises on free weights, really tear down your muscles, then go over to a machine and push that muscle past failure. Obviously, going past failure is a lot easier to do on a machine.

[quote name='coolcps']Also 20 minutes of cardio everyday after you work out is a MUST. Do cardio last so you have the stamina to finish your entire workout.[/QUOTE]

Whats your reasoning? As a said before, cardio tears apart your muscle. The most beneficial way of doing cardio is doing long duration (45 - 60 minutes) at 65% of your max heartrate. Then wait 5-6 hours before doing your weight lifting, if you plan on doing both in the same day. If you must, do cardio then go lift weights.

[quote name='Graystone']Damn it I knew it would be you that bumped this.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Went down to 217 briefly. Am seeing some nice, but small, gains in my arms. Found a nice back machine to supplement the core excercises that is on the agenda.

Slowly but surely.

Honestly, the best thing to do is just keep going. Keep on working out, doing your thing, and you will lose weight. A workout buddy does help, but it's not 100% necessary.

I found I lost most of my weight by working out, not drinking anything but water, and playing competitive sports. I'm talking tennis, hockey, soccer, even golf (minus cart) was a great workout. I can't run well on treadmills either, but in sports I hardly even notice it.

While eating, I say eat your fill at dinner, lunch, and breakfast, but do not eat snacks and only drink water.

Just what's worked for me.

One great thing to incorporate into your morning lifestlye is a quick core workout - just roll out of bed and do it, won't take any more than 10 minutes if you're quick about it and the effects are noticeable.

1. Crunches
2. Lay on your back and kick like doing the backstroke but on land (arms under the butt when starting out, then move them out to the sides when you get stronger)
3. Bring Opposite elbow up while bringing opposite knee back and touch them
4. Legs up and out (knees/feet together kick up so body forms L shape with back on ground, then pull down to seated row position and kick out so you're almost straight ___ on the ground)
5. V-ups (dying cockroaches) - feet/legs together - legs go up and arms come up to touch the toes, body makes a V) -- this one is the hardest for many.
6. Side holds - lay on the ground on your side, then prop yourself up with one forearm and hold your body straight.
7. front hold - lay on the ground on your stomach, then prop up your body with both forearms on the ground and hold your body straight.
8. Pushups
9. Dips

If you have a low body fat %, you will have a six pack in a month if you follow the above workout. If you can't see the definition then you've got to lose some more fat!

Unfortunately, I don't have a low body fat %. I'm working on intensifing my cardio (and only doing one session a day) by being straight and concentrating my TVA while on the machine.

My biceps have definetly seen an increase, I'm back to my 04-05 bulk.

bread's done
Back