World of Warcraft ....HELP!!!!

fullhavok

CAGiversary!
hey fellow CAG's i need some HELP with WOW. see my son is a huge wow player he's a level 70 & plays every day. i want to jump in & play with him, i've been looking around trying to find a way to buy a level 50 account, so i can practice & work my way up to 70 with out going tru the 1st 50 levels. ( don't have that much time, & ive always been a huge console player 360,wii,ps3, but when it comes to pc games, im a noob, last pc game i played was Diablo2 & Doom)so trust me with GTA & the hulk & to name a few ive been playing lately, im going to be giving my 360 & my ps3 some cooling down time, so i can try wow, he ( my son ) & a lot of people keep telling how much fun it is. so does anyone recommend some where i can find a low level & CHEAP account ( im not looking to pay hundreds of bucks for one. i've been blown away by the prices ive seen $$$ . wow for real. lol ) im looking to spend around $50. or $75 the most. also i need the account to be able to transfer to my sons server. & my other questions are. if i buy an account, could i change the characters name? or do i have to use the one it has? also is there anything you guys can recommend, tips, any wow help, i would totally appreciate.

Thanks in advance my fellow C.A.G.'S!!!

P.S. i just finished building my newest p.c.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N-NVIDIA nForce 560, CORSAIR XMS2 3.5GB DDR2 800,
Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply, EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS 384MB, Maxtor 500GB HD, Hannspree - 22" Widescreen HD LCD. Vista.

well, buying/selling WoW accounts is against their Terms of Service so technically you aren't allowed to do it... and it's also risky business since the chance you fall into a scam is much greater

I think you can change your character name, but it actually costs money (real life $$$).

anyways, I think they made getting through level 1-60 faster, so it shouldn't be THAT bad. There are many levelling guides out there so those should help you level quickly.

If you want, just have your son level it for you. Maybe even pay him to do it

What server is he on? If it's Vek'Nilash, I may be able to hook you up.

Otherwise check Craigslist. I agree that using a levelling guide to go 1-60 won't require "much" time relative to the time you'd put into otherwise.

Good luck. We'll be here to comfort you when you realize the family WoW addiction... ;)

Buying accounts is a bad idea. I know people who have done it in the past, and more often than not the original owner recovers the account a few months later.

I have to agree. Buying an account is usually bad unless you know the person selling it. Going from 1-50 is especially easy nowadays. You can get level 1-10 in one sitting of a few hours. I usually hit level 8 in about 2 hours. 10-20 is probably going to be a little slow but from 20-30 they reduced the amount of experience needed to level, and from 30-60 they increased the amount of XP you get for a quest. My last character got from 1-58 in about 2 weeks of night/weekend play, though I am pretty familiar with the game.

If you don't play too often you can take advantage of rested experience. If you log off in a city or an inn, you gain a bonus to your XP when killing stuff. You gain 15% of your level for ever 24 hours of time spend in an inn, up to 150% maximum for 10 days. Sounds like a long time but for some of the busier players it helps if you can't play every day. My brother only plays 1-2 times a week but when he does he blasts through a level in no time.

Best idea IMO is to have your son help you. Its the perfect excuse for him to level another character and you and he can level up together. My wife plays but doesn't play as much as I do so when she gets the urge to play a new character (which happens quite frequently) I'll make a new one and we'll play together. I will also play her character a few times a week and level it up a few levels to help move things along. Best of all, he'll be able to log onto his 70 character and run you through instances (aka dungeons) so you won't have to waste time trying to find a lowbie group to do them.

Here's another idea. Not sure if you're aware but in about 3-4 months the 2nd expansion titled Wrath of the Lich King is releasing. One of the new things in the expansion is a Hero class called a Deathknight. From what I've heard so far from beta testers is that its a lot of fun. However, it requires that you have a level 55 character on that server to unlock the ability to make one. What you could do is pick an easy to level class (such as a Hunter, or Warlock) and make it your goal to hit level 55 by release. Then when Wrath launches you can start a Deathknight (who begins at level 55) and you'll be right there with everyone else making Deathknights to play. Trust me, TONS of players are going to make deathknights and that way you won't feel that even though you just got started you're way behind everyone else.

Another interesting story. A few months back there was a way to "powerlevel" a character called DoT boosting. I did this to level a druid to ~45 in about 30 hours. However, I was absolutely clueless on how to play it well. I had a very hard time trying to level it once Blizzard removed the ability to dot boost and players 10+ levels below me could kill me in duels. Frustrated, I just made a new one (on a different sever) and leveled it normal. It only took a little longer and I really learned how to play it. Last thing you want to hear when you're doing an instance in a group is someone say "Ok now how do I heal?". Don't be that ebayed guy everyone hates.

[quote name='Faithful']I have to agree. Buying an account is usually bad unless you know the person selling it. Going from 1-50 is especially easy nowadays. You can get level 1-10 in one sitting of a few hours. I usually hit level 8 in about 2 hours. 10-20 is probably going to be a little slow but from 20-30 they reduced the amount of experience needed to level, and from 30-60 they increased the amount of XP you get for a quest. My last character got from 1-58 in about 2 weeks of night/weekend play, though I am pretty familiar with the game.

If you don't play too often you can take advantage of rested experience. If you log off in a city or an inn, you gain a bonus to your XP when killing stuff. You gain 15% of your level for ever 24 hours of time spend in an inn, up to 150% maximum for 10 days. Sounds like a long time but for some of the busier players it helps if you can't play every day. My brother only plays 1-2 times a week but when he does he blasts through a level in no time.

Best idea IMO is to have your son help you. Its the perfect excuse for him to level another character and you and he can level up together. My wife plays but doesn't play as much as I do so when she gets the urge to play a new character (which happens quite frequently) I'll make a new one and we'll play together. I will also play her character a few times a week and level it up a few levels to help move things along. Best of all, he'll be able to log onto his 70 character and run you through instances (aka dungeons) so you won't have to waste time trying to find a lowbie group to do them.

Here's another idea. Not sure if you're aware but in about 3-4 months the 2nd expansion titled Wrath of the Lich King is releasing. One of the new things in the expansion is a Hero class called a Deathknight. From what I've heard so far from beta testers is that its a lot of fun. However, it requires that you have a level 55 character on that server to unlock the ability to make one. What you could do is pick an easy to level class (such as a Hunter, or Warlock) and make it your goal to hit level 55 by release. Then when Wrath launches you can start a Deathknight (who begins at level 55) and you'll be right there with everyone else making Deathknights to play. Trust me, TONS of players are going to make deathknights and that way you won't feel that even though you just got started you're way behind everyone else.

Another interesting story. A few months back there was a way to "powerlevel" a character called DoT boosting. I did this to level a druid to ~45 in about 30 hours. However, I was absolutely clueless on how to play it well. I had a very hard time trying to level it once Blizzard removed the ability to dot boost and players 10+ levels below me could kill me in duels. Frustrated, I just made a new one (on a different sever) and leveled it normal. It only took a little longer and I really learned how to play it. Last thing you want to hear when you're doing an instance in a group is someone say "Ok now how do I heal?". Don't be that ebayed guy everyone hates.[/QUOTE]

Actually you need a 55 on ANY server, except for new servers. The lockout period is 2 months I believe so that people don't create a level 55 while every other class is still in it's teens. However if you get a 55 on that new server you can make one on that server.

1st, i want to thank everyone for there input, after thinking about it, i guess im going the route of starting a level 1 & have my son help me, & trying as much as i can. i'll also try going in to the inn's when i log off. & see if that helps too. i guess tonight im going to download the 10day trial & give it my best.
i'll also post my wow name here, so if any of you ever run in to me, you guys can take it easy with me. LOL
you know that neebe from CAG. lol . thanks a million everyone see you on wow real soon.

since youre a self proclaimed noob, i think itd be better for you to start at level 1. its gonna take a lot of time to get up to 70, but to jump in at level 50 with no experience... itll hurt your experience and anybody that you party with.

also, if youre son is that in to wow he probably wouldnt mind making an alt to play with you from the ground up.

You really should start from lvl 1 honestly. To make it more fun, ask your son if he would make a new character that so you both can lvl up together and when you dont play he can just play on his 70 still.

[quote name='KaOTiK']You really should start from lvl 1 honestly. To make it more fun, ask your son if he would make a new character that so you both can lvl up together and when you dont play he can just play on his 70 still.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']since youre a self proclaimed noob, i think itd be better for you to start at level 1. its gonna take a lot of time to get up to 70, but to jump in at level 50 with no experience... itll hurt your experience and anybody that you party with.

also, if youre son is that in to wow he probably wouldnt mind making an alt to play with you from the ground up.[/QUOTE]

yeah, im going that way.

one last question, does anyone know if i can play it with a controller?
or just with my mouse & keyboard?

im about to download the game in a few mins.

thanks again everyone.

There's probably a mod somewhere (I mean someone made it work with wii fit!), but there's far too many commands to fit on a controller. I was sort of afraid that it would confuse/overwhelm me at first, especially since I used to hate WASD, but I got used to all of it after a day or two.

Blizzard made going through levels 20-60 faster in 2.3, and in WOTLK beta, they have done the same for 60-70, so we'll probably see that change go live eventually.

I believe the world record for getting from 1-70 is 18 hours played...the guy had tons of prior experience powerlevelling and was being helped by his friends of course...

The norm is probably around 5-8 days played, and since you're new you'll probably take longer, maybe 10-14 days played.

[quote name='fullhavok']yeah, im going that way.

one last question, does anyone know if i can play it with a controller?
or just with my mouse & keyboard?

im about to download the game in a few mins.

thanks again everyone.[/quote]

You don't want to play this game with a controller, just trust me on this. Way too many buttons that are used constantly. And having to react quick in some situations

There is a controller mod, I tried it and ditched it a couple days later. Like others said, there is just way too many buttons. Either way you can customize the controls to your liking, I did that when I played, though anybody who would try to play on my guy wouldn't be able to if they're used to deflaut settings since I changed almost every single thing. Good luck to you.

When I played WoW going to 60, I exclusively powerleveled as I wanted to catch up to friends to raid. My first char (priest) took 3 days to 60, my second (lock) took ~24 hours. I can't remember the name of the dude who put out the good 1-60 guide back then (two or three years ago), but it was very popular. I want to say his name was "Jamie" or some variant. Anyhow, they were good guides. I used them very early so the routes/methods he suggested weren't overrun with people following the same strategy as me. I don't know if they'd be useful now.

Keep in mind that I was playing those chars on rested XP only. It's a limitation, but if you can cool off you can move quickly through levels. Those guides were very well thought out, so there was never any wasted motion. It was a hell of an effort for him to put them together and post them for free.

Anyhow, I think you should powerlevel a toon and have your kid help you out (if he's willing). Tell him you want to try at a new record for 1-60, appeal to his e-peen. If you've got somebody to help you out, supposedly the XP just flies by. Especially if you're patient enough to do it all on rested XP. Then you guys can do the raiding after the father/son power leveling.

EDIT: I was reliving the past and just realized that I got some help myself on my Lock. Not much, just in some difficult areas, maybe on 4 or 5 occasions. So a little help from an older toon helped out in the quest for 60 (now 70).

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thanks everyone. im trying my best. lol. well im on server "Skullcrasher" & i'm a level 5 Undead
warrior. ( it took me about 2hours to get to level 5. hey i'm a WOW noob, so im proud. lol ) my name is
" Sanztepes" well im @ work now, but will log on around midnight or 1am eastern. tonight,
my wife just got me Soul Caliber 5 for the 360. so i might have to play that for a few be fore WOW. so many cool games, not enough time. lol again thanks to everyone for your help. you guys ROCK!
see you guys soon.

bread's done
Back