World of Warcraft

RaisinBran

CAGiversary!
Sup guys im thinking about starting to play but im kind of pissed at the Patch sizes they range from 10mb-900 and im wondering is it worth it? even though you have to pay still

You will most likely be spending a day downloading the patches like did 3 weeks ago. There were like 10 patches and each one had to be installed before the next patch would install. Pretty lame if you ask me, but whatever. It's an alrite game, much better than guild wars imo. I've been pretty much playing nonstop since my friend got it for me as an early xmas gift.

If you need a guest pass, give me a pm or you can just get a 10 day trial at the WoW site.

The downloading is a definitely a pain. Play the trial and see how much you like it. Do you have a lot of other games you're playing right now? I'm giving my brother my 360 for his college xmas break so i'm going to play the ten day trial, then activate the game which I bought (with the free 1st month) and then go from there.

I don't play WoW, but IIRC the client you download from their site will download things as needed, while the retail client will download everything at once (resulting in the huge patch and long d/l times). Maybe just get the trial client and use that?

Naw take to long plus im almost done...And yes I am playing some games like Maplestory ( im really really bored) CS:S, Gears of War PC, CoD4 and im getting WaW soon im only on PC cause i didnt get Ps3 yet

I just spent almost a week getting WOW install. I think my problem was 30% vista. For anyone having problems her is what ended up working for me.

1. download patchesl 3.0.1 to whatever the last one is
2. downlaod the universal installer which you can get from account management page.
3. Give admin rights to the universal installer and run it
4. Wait half a day
5. Once done wow should be installed up to 3.0.1
6. Run wow and let it auto patch
7. The auto patch will fail just cancel and use your downloaded patch at which ever version it fail on.
8. The patch will probably fail also when it does cancel out and run wow again for the auto patch.
9. rinse and repeat until the game is fully patched. The key to this is each time the patch or auto update runs a little more of the game is patch.
10. Download the latest repair tool and run it. I think the last version is 3.0

Do not use a old version of the repair.
This was the biggest pain in my butt install I ever had to go through. I'm not even sure I will continue after the free trial because of it. However, the game has been fun to play.

Auto updating is the biggest waste of time and very very painful. Search places like filefront and wowwiki for the patches that are all compiled into one. Example would be once you install WotLK find the patch 3.0-->3.0.x (whatever it is now) and skip all the little patches since they are all in one. The same goes for WoW vanilla and TBC.

Hope this helps.

the only patch that is always a pain for me to download is the one that is over 1gb >_<
that one takes awhile,
just make sure when you start downloading the patches you have plenty of space, cause if you run out during a patch you will have to download that patch over again...it happened to me and a friend on the 1gb patch a few times lol

[quote name='SilentSinr']the only patch that is always a pain for me to download is the one that is over 1gb >_<
that one takes awhile,
just make sure when you start downloading the patches you have plenty of space, cause if you run out during a patch you will have to download that patch over again...it happened to me and a friend on the 1gb patch a few times lol[/quote]

Every MMO has crazy patches if you decide to start playing even a year after its release. Right before Thanksgiving, I installed LOTR Online and its expansions. It took more than 24 hours to download and patch itself.

If you're already up and running, allow WoW to download patches while you play. They usually start letting you preload patches before it goes live. If you play like 2 - 3 hours a day, you can get a chunk of that patch downloaded without sacrificing play time. Downloads are throttled so they won't affect your latency or anything.

The WotLK 3.01 patch was preloaded on my desktop and only took about 30 min to complete the patching process. On my laptop, I never preloaded so it took about a total of 3 - 4 hours to complete.

Just get Guild Wars. It downloads only what you need initially then downloads slowly in the background as you play. Free to play after initial purchase.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Just get Guild Wars. It downloads only what you need initially then downloads slowly in the background as you play. Free to play after initial purchase.[/quote]

Just buy Diablo 2, since all Guild Wars is, is a very glorified Diablo 2.

i played guild wars for awhile
gets very boring though after awhile (at least for me it did)
the level cap is 20 which can be reached fairly quickly, i had two 20s and then i got bored and havent played since

IMO the gameplay in WoW is a lot more enjoyable

but Diablo II is also a great game that you might want to check out instead of paying a monthly fee for WoW

You should get someone to refer you to WoW through "Recruit-a-Friend".

If the person who refers you starts a new character and plays with you, you both get TRIPLE XP for THREE MONTHS. But it only works if you playing in a party and near each other, and within 5 levels of each other.

Also, the person referring you gets a free month of play and an epic mount. If you find someone desperate for that mount they may just give you ingame gold or something to let them refer you.

I like many MMOs better than WoW but I am doing the Triple XP thing with a coworker and it is fun to zip through the levels together.

On Black Friday, Amazon had the WoW Battlechest for $15... I'd look for that deal again if I were you.

[quote name='georox']Just buy Diablo 2, since all Guild Wars is, is a very glorified Diablo 2.[/QUOTE]
While I still avidly play both, I think Guild Wars has the edge thanks to its unique item system and extremely balanced and varied PvP modes. However, if you don't like the idea of items not being varied, that may bug you about Guild Wars, but I much prefer a system that places pretty much all favor on the more skilled players rather than those with the "best" items.

It is very easy to make a "max" character so you can get straight to the high end content which the majority of the game in Guild Wars.

The other great thing about Guild Wars is the encouragement to constantly reroll your character to fit a situation. You can change your skills, attributes, and secondary class freely in towns to prepare for specific enemies in upcoming areas with no penalties such as refund points or an NPC that charges you money. It is all free and easy.

Both have a defined story and end which is one of my personal favorite things about both games. I hate open ended MMO's with a couple of main quests in place of a story.

Either way you can't go wrong with D2 or Guild Wars if you can get past D2's graphics and resolution.

[quote name='GamerMan97']how long does battlechest take to instal?[/quote]

Well I downloaded patches from FilePlanet while installing the battlechest to speed things up. So when the install finished I just ran the patch programs locally. The whole process took about an hour, but I've heard of it taking longer, like all night. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, Fileplanet a has a 2gig .exe for download which will bring your Battlechest right up to date. Depending on how fast your download speed is, it shouldn't take that long.

Hah, this patch talk is hilarious considering this game has millions of players and my ISP is threatening to implement a 5GB monthly cap this coming year. And I'm just so sure that you only ever have to download this stuff once and/or it never messes up (not). Idiots.

[quote name='turls']Hah, this patch talk is hilarious considering this game has millions of players and my ISP is threatening to implement a 5GB monthly cap this coming year. And I'm just so sure that you only ever have to download this stuff once and/or it never messes up (not). Idiots.[/quote]

Time to switch to another ISP my friend.

[quote name='GamerMan97']my disk doesnt work and before i return it is there a way i can download the game only online and then use my key on the site?[/quote]

Go to the WOW site. On the left, go t account management, log in and there should be an option in there to download it.

This reminds me. I think I got my wow problems figured out. I just reinstalled wow after removing one of my ram sticks and it went perfect. Took maybe a hour with having all the patches already downloaded. So I'm thinking either my vista 32 can't handle 4 gigs of ram which I read somewhere or the stick I pulled is bad. After a week I'm going switch sticks to see if my computer stays stables.

[quote name='GamerMan97']my disk doesnt work and before i return it is there a way i can download the game only online and then use my key on the site?[/quote]
I have the same problem, It won't install it says error reading some file... And I tried downloading and it game me some other error...
The problem is that I already used the CD-Keys to make my account, so if I return the defective disks to target what will happen?

[quote name='hec204']I have the same problem, It won't install it says error reading some file... And I tried downloading and it game me some other error...
The problem is that I already used the CD-Keys to make my account, so if I return the defective disks to target what will happen?[/quote]

You can download the clients here. Be sure to be logged in. Or from the main account screen click on Download Game Client under Free Services.

As for the defective disks, going through Target might be ok but they can't really sell the product anymore. Might wanna give Blizzard Support a call and they'll probably send you replacements.

[quote name='typeRJ']You can download the clients here. Be sure to be logged in. Or from the main account screen click on Download Game Client under Free Services.

As for the defective disks, going through Target might be ok but they can't really sell the product anymore. Might wanna give Blizzard Support a call and they'll probably send you replacements.[/quote]
I've tried that, but when it's about to start downloading the game it gives some error about not able to create some file, I ran it in safe mode and admin mode, even XP SP2 mode, no go
I tried the CD and it says the file is unable to be read, then I tried copying the entire game DVD to my desktop and about 15% in it said windows error unable to read from drive..
I don't want to call up blizzard since it takes a long time to get a representative, and it will probably take a week to get the replacement.
If I return to target will they just give me a new box? Cuz I really don't want them to cancel my old account and have to start a new one with the new CD-key since I've already been playing on my friend's computer

[quote name='strdr4']Does the WotLK ADD 10 days to your account, meaning you can dl the trial if your account is frozen?[/quote]
Yes, you can get the 10 day trial if your account is frozen. At least I had that option when I last logged in.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Is your computer fully updated with window's updates.[/quote]
Of course, fully updated vista 64bit home premium

bread's done
Back