Worms: THE THREAD - Worms 2: Armageddon out now

[quote name='metaly']Why am I the only one who's always on voice?? It's really weird. I don't even have any special ports open for my PS3 anymore. Headset is Bluetooth, connection is wired... not sure if I'm forgetting any details for our scientific analysis.[/quote]
I have my ps3 in the DMZ, bluetooth headset, wired connection. Like I said... you're special.

I'm just using the Official Sony PLAYSTATION®3 Bluetooth® headset, but wired... :/
I dunno, but this headset problem has to be fixed... via patch! >;(

Hehe are there even peak hours for this? The player base seems kind of small and the few times I've searched I haven't found any other games. Also I think I'm like #17 on the pro leaderboard after that one game. Ha.

[quote name='Lynsanity']I thought there was limited voice chat. will try tonite. What times do you guys play, and how do you get the Grenade trophy?[/quote]

Usually it's been pretty late, like 9-10 Pacific. If you want to play with a group just post on here with a time or add people from the list in the OP.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I still don't even know what DMZ is, but really you're still the only one who can be heard consistently metaly? Weird.[/quote]
DMZ == De-Militarized Zone == The router does no port blocking at all for that IP address.

They charged 13 dollars for what now? Im pissed.

"Please fix the voice chat. When I play in games of 3 and 4 players, some other players will be randomly muted"

Unfortunately the voice chat is a sony OS thing and rather net intensive, to give a blanket 4 player VC option would lead to alot of drop outs to users with lower spec broadband.. Its not a nice solution but the best option we could all agree on.

This was the response from facebook. lame.

Found that on the PS forums.

Edit- We should spam their Facebook until they fix it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team17-Software-Ltd/64566768063#topic_top

ZOMGz!!!
LAME!

Yeah... Worms can't handle 4 player VC but Warhawk can handle 32 player VC... Uh huh... It's the Sony OS that's the problem.

Actually... I thought Voice Chat on PS3 was a "per app" thing... as in it's the opposite of the *cough*360*cough* where it's part of the OS...

Argh I just wrote a huge response to the Facebook thread and then it wouldn't let me submit it because I wasn't logged in, and then when I logged in and hit back it erased my response because it's all goddamn AJAX. fuck!!

Must calm my VOIP/Facebook-induced rage.

I hear they're releasing a patch that will reduce the maximum number of players online to one because of bandwidth restrictions. We should probably get another 4P game going before that happens.

But Smog... you already bought it. :error:
The best thing we can keep doing is spamming their facebook, and letting it be known that this is unacceptable. :nottalking:

They suck for apparently not knowing how to code VOIP, but we should still play it! And yeah I need to get my Facebook message back.

I'd be up for a game after I'm done with SOCOM tonight.

Hey, i love your Worm games. I just got the PSN Worms game and online only two people can talk at a time. If you have 3 people one is only able to listen and randomly it changes who can talk. I figure that you guys have already heard this complaint but I would like to know what is going on and if you guys plan to fix the problem.

Post #90

Team17 Software Ltd. wrote15 hours ago
Steven, yeah this is being looked into right now.

Oh man everyone on there is complaining about the VOIP and they continue with the BS

Kyle/Ifran:

Originally we did have 4 player voice chat, with no problems from a programmatical POV. Unfortunately it was found in testing that users with little to no bandwidth (due to poor connections, throttling, a low speed connections (512kb etc)) were having their games time out / drop out. Such drop outs could result in sony submission issues that had the potential for the game to be not be given its all clear for release. The problem arises because we dont have much control of the voice chat once its been initiated as its one of things that handled internally by the Playstation 3 operating system. It takes up alot of bandwidth (as does our game at times) and as a result the game sometimes times out or loses a connection. Therefore we were faced with the 3 options of:

1: keep as is and have many lower spec'ed broadband connections drop out mid game ruining it for all players.. Not to mention the potential for sony submission failure.
2: Take out all voice chat..
3: Allow for up to two users to have voice chat enabled - which of course we decided on.

I hope that clears it up a bit.. I know in a perfect world we would could all have 4 player VC (or video screens with webcams etc). With later updates of PS3 SDKs we may be able to revisit the issue with a patch.

Anyhoo, until then enjoy, and im glad you are all liking it so far..

cheers again

[quote name='smiggity']Such drop outs could result in sony submission issues that had the potential for the game to be not be given its all clear for release.

1: .... Not to mention the potential for sony submission failure.
[/quote]

Aka.. release now, polish later

[quote name='metaly']Someday someone will make a game that has 4 player VOIP. Some day![/quote]

I heard that GTA5 is supposed to have 4p VOIP, but that feature is 360 exclusive DLC.

It looks like they may have taken down the discussion topics on their facebook. I posted a message there last week, but looking at their page I can't find the section anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird, I used the history on my computer earlier and it said there were no discussions on their page, but just used the link in your post a couple above this one and it works.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']You have? I'd like to see some Worms action too... It's been awhile. :whistle2:\"[/quote]

A while, like almost 24 hours? You were just playing it last night. :lol:

[quote name='bornrunnin31']DAMNIT, I'm at home for the weekend. I guess my Worms action will be relegated to Open Warfare 2 on the psp.[/quote]

Doesn't the PSP version have online? How well does that work?

[quote name='metaly']A while, like almost 24 hours? You were just playing it last night. :lol: [/quote]

Somewhat... Actually DD and I were just trophy whorin' it up, as expected. As of last night, I have all the Worms trophies. ;)

[quote name='mguiddy']Whorin' and epic failin'.

:rofl:[/quote]

:lol:

Yeah, that last game was one of the biggest fails of the year for me... I couldn't help but laugh at what happened. :applause:

Decided to play some Open Warfare 2 on the psp so I could be there in spirit. I actually purchased it back in June from the last GS Gamedays sale ($10, I think) and have never played it. And I must say, it appears to be a lot better than the PSN version. More weapons, more modes, unlockables for your worms. Didn't try MP, but I bet that even has 4p voip just because this psp version shits all over the PSN one.

Sounds like I need to check out OW2.

We didn't get a big group going yesterday, but I was over at a friend's so we did some local multiplayer. It's cool that you can set up custom game modes offline, although it's still not as robust as in WWP of course. There's no way to tweak damage to make cluster bombs the feared weapons they once were.

[quote name='smiggity']I heard Team 17 is filing for bankruptcy since they cant figure out how to program 4person VOIP[/quote]

:lol:

Hey, if anyone is interested in getting the [get your lob on trophy ]I am willing to work with someone....send me a message (hopefully within the next ten minutes)

PSN: Viksmart

Trying to rewrite my epic VOIP rant for the Facebook page and there's a Team17 guy on there saying the minigun is in the game. Are they sitting on some secret weapon codes or have they just completely lost their minds?

Also not sure what to make of this:

Kieran wrote on April 9, 2009 at 4:59pm
have to say that since buying the game i am very dissapointed about the mic settings in a game of more than 2 players, cant say i will be playing it unless this is fixed although i doubt that will trouble you guys

Team17 Software Ltd. wrote on April 9, 2009 at 5:03pm
That's down for a fix, it was reported in the US release.
Getting some mixed signals here, Team17.

Heh, my rant was the one that mentioned Warhawk. I'm sure you read his reply about how its because that is a server based game and apparently sending out data to 4 people in real time uses up too much horsepower to support voip as well. Are there any other p2p games on the ps3 that use voicechat? I say we get a list of them and then add addresses so Team17 can get in contact with their voodoo witch doctors since that's obviously how 4p voicechat works on the ps3.

Yeah I will get to work on a rant of my own then. They are gonna feel the wrath of CAG. Saw the Warhawk one, nicely put.

So the minigun is in the game AND they are fixing the VOIP?? Does Seth Luisi work for them? Im waiting for one of them to post that Worms will be the first 3-D PS3 game.

You know... Really, most PSN games are p2p in the sense that its not an official server we play on. Warhawk, GTAIV, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Unreal Tournament III, etc, are all run on everyday connections for gameplay and the "Official servers" only collect stats from the host after a round. EDIT: Okay... maybe not all of those (or any... :lol:)... I think KZ2 actually runs on "official servers" since anyone can host any number of players (I think...). Maybe you should forget that I wrote/you read this paragraph.

Still, I read they said it's because everything is fully destructible and they have to send all that info as well. Meh... whatever... I'd be interested in seeing a bandwidth report from someone that hosts a 4 player game to see just how throughput is needed for what it's doing now.

Even if it does/can max out a moderate connection, I don't see why they couldn't write in a bandwidth checker that would adjust the amount of channels based on the person with the lowest bandwidth. Or possibly make a "Push to Talk" system that would only allow two people to talk at one time (so if 3/4 people were pushing to talk at once, it would only transmit the first two people that pushed).

Also... what is it? They blame it on the PS3 firmware, then they say they "had 4 player voice chat working fine, but had to take it out because it can cause drops with lower bandwidth connections". So is it the OS or a connection problem? Maybe a connection problem based on OS limitations... :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back