Worried about second hand smoke exposure. Need information.

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I recently acquired a job at a tobacco store near my house, which most people find strange because I don't smoke. I run and maintain these self-packing cigarette machine things, and...that's pretty much it. It's actually an extremely easy job and I get paid a decent amount of cash to do it.

It sounded pretty sweet at first, but then I discovered that customers are allowed to smoke in the store, which does not sit well with me. Everyone pretty much conjugates around my area to smoke. It's not too bad on most days, but sometimes it's absolutely unbearable, and I'm starting to worry about it affecting my health. I'm worried about the risks of breathing in second hand smoke multiple times a week for a year or more. I tried doing a little research online as to how long it usually takes for one to get cancer from cigarette smoke, and the answers ranged anywhere from 60 years to six months, so I thought I'd ask around on here.

Does anybody have any information on this? I'm honestly really worried about it, and I'm considering quitting if I can't get some definitive proof that I don't need to be worried.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

For cancer etc. it takes prolonged exposure over a number of years.

Where it could have more negative impacts is in terms of sinus infections if you're allergic to smoke, making colds and flus worse (adding to bronchial inflammation etc.).

I'd never work in a place like that as smoke bothers me a lot (allergies, asthma etc.) and my health has been much better the past 12 years or so since leaving home for college and not living with smokers (my mom chain smokes).

But if you don't have allergies etc., then you should be fine--other than going home smelling like smoke etc.--as long as it's just a temporary job and not something you're going to do for years.

Being in an enclosed space with cigarette smoke will have nothing but negative effects on your health.

There's no ifs, ands, or butts(get it!)

How negative will vary on how many hours you breathe it in a day/week/year from making your colds and flus worse like dmaul said. or worse depending on if you stay there for years(don't stay there for years)

I read somewhere that the risk of cancer depends largely on individual genes, and that some people can get it quickly through somewhat regular exposure. Does anybody have any comment on this?

[quote name='Purple Flames']This may be a bit excessive, but maybe you could pick up a respirator to filter out the smoke:

http://www.readysmart.com/n95_masks.html[/QUOTE]

That actually crossed my mind, but my boss probably wouldn't approve. I think a face mask would sort of kill the vibe they've got going. Plus I'd look like a douche...

Honestly I think actual smokers will be better off than you. At least they will get a breath of fresh air between butts where as you are constantly trapped, in a room with a revolving door of people lighting up cigarettes, always breathing the smoke in.

[quote name='Malik112099']what state are you in that smoking is legal inside a business?[/QUOTE]

New Hampshire. I'm working at the one tobacco store in the state that allows smoking inside.

I'm thinking I might just bring in a little fan to stand behind, or something...

If you're seriously this concerned over it just quit. No amount of money is worth driving you insane.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I read somewhere that the risk of cancer depends largely on individual genes, and that some people can get it quickly through somewhat regular exposure. Does anybody have any comment on this?[/QUOTE]

Genetic mapping has come a long way since Watson and Crick, but it isn't quite there yet. If any of your family members died from lung cancer, you should probably quit or get a heavy duty gas mask.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool'] That actually crossed my mind, but my boss probably wouldn't approve. I think a face mask would sort of kill the vibe they've got going. Plus I'd look like a douche...[/QUOTE]

Then, your boss can fire you and you can sue him into oblivion. If the customers don't like your gas mask, they can smoke some place else. If you look like a douche with a gas mask on, strap a large gun to your leg and wear a T-shirt reading "I'm faster than cigarettes." See? Instabadass.

Chronic exposure to second-hand smoke does lead to an increased risk of lung cancer, up to 20-30% higher than if you were not exposed.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Then, your boss can fire you and you can sue him into oblivion. If the customers don't like your gas mask, they can smoke some place else. If you look like a douche with a gas mask on, strap a large gun to your leg and wear a T-shirt reading "I'm faster than cigarettes." See? Instabadass.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this.

Part of the reason my mom has always been in poor health is because of exposure to second-hand smoke in her youth. On the other hand, it's hard to predict how long you'll ultimately live. My grandmother from complications of smoking for 60+ years, but at a fairly old age of 79. Although she did have a long decline that saw her chained to an oxygen tank and rushed to the hospital so many times that the helicopter pilot who would pick her up became acquainted with her.
Ultimately, you have to make a choice. What's more important to you--the decent money you make or living free of concern for your long-term health? It's possible that you could persuade the store's owner to, if nothing else, have a no-smoking section of the store, but I would think this is unlikely, as they might fear that would be bad for business. In the end, all I know is that no one in my family smokes after seeing how it affected my grandmother.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']
Then, your boss can fire you and you can sue him into oblivion. If the customers don't like your gas mask, they can smoke some place else.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? He took a job in a tobacco shop what do people do in smoke shops, they fucking smoke. You dont like it, do go there and leave those people alone. Thats like a whore working in a whore house and complaining about everyone having sex in the building.

His boss should fire his ass before he tries to file some BS complaint about 2nd hand smoke. I hate people that put themselves in these positions and try to force everyone around them to accommodate to their needs. I am not suggesting the OP is doing this yet, but I bet its in his future.

Is the economy THAT bad?

I find it highly hilarious how smokers claim "chance" if you will get sick or not from constant smoking yet all the "healthy" people that don't smoke say you're pretty much throwing your life away.

As for me, the solution seems pretty obvious. I don't know why you'd need info especially if you don't smoke to begin with.

Sinus infections for me, when I visit the in-laws. Some people are a bit stronger to withstand the smoke, but I had serious breathing issues when I was a kid and living with a smoker.

I don't think any job is worth the serious risk to your health. Get the mask at least.

[quote name='gindias']Are you serious? He took a job in a tobacco shop what do people do in smoke shops, they fucking smoke. You dont like it, do go there and leave those people alone. Thats like a whore working in a whore house and complaining about everyone having sex in the building.

His boss should fire his ass before he tries to file some BS complaint about 2nd hand smoke. I hate people that put themselves in these positions and try to force everyone around them to accommodate to their needs. I am not suggesting the OP is doing this yet, but I bet its in his future.[/QUOTE]

I'm half serious.

If the work area is very noisy, there is nothing wrong with wearing ear plugs.

If the work area is very bright or near a wielder's flame, there is nothing wrong with wearing a wielder's mask or heavily tinted glasses.

If the air of the work area is heavily polluted, there is nothing wrong with wearing a gas mask or having an exhaust fan installed.

The employer can endure the OP's tactics to stay healthy in an unhealthy environment or fire him during the probationary period. In the future, the employer should find out if applicants are smokers.

Hackman.jpg

The OP or any other employee should protect himself or find another job.

I do think it's unreasonable to expect any changes to how the business is ran. But I don't think he's a "retard" for not knowing people would smoke in there--I've never been in a tobacco store that allowed smoking--especially not in recent years of living in cities with smoking bans. But even growing up in WV I don't recall the tobacco stores my parents went to allowing smoking.

That said, I would have assumed he'd have noticed when he went and applied, interviewed etc. And do agree that the solution is to quit. Even with the economy being bad, there doesn't seem to be much shortage of crappy retain jobs--at least not in big cities. So I'd go for finding another one.

Wait how are they legally allowing smoking indoors without having a non smoking section as well?
Are businesses other than restaurants and bars required to be smoke-free?
Yes. The ISA prohibits smoking in a number of facilities, including public educational facilities, at any time, licensed child day care, licensed under RSA 170-E during the hours of operation (except foster family homes and foster family group homes), health care facilities, public conveyances, and grocery stores by customers. Smoking may be permitted in enclosed places of public access and publicly owned buildings, and offices including workplaces in effectively segregated smoking permitted areas designated by the person in charge. If smoking cannot be effectively segregated in any such enclosed place, then smoking shall be totally prohibited.

^Its a smoking lounge...They have a special permit which allows them to sell and offer the consumption of their products in store. This thing about the OP being able to wear a mask is crazy and I'd expect to be fired on the spot (alienating customers). You maybe able to get ventilation in the place if it doesn't already exist, but don't expect to tell your new employer how to run his business and keep your job.

As others mentioned you need to ask yourself (since it sounds like you have a problem with smoking), are you willing to suffer any possible health complications for work or would you rather find something else?

[quote name='Liquid 2']You're god damn retarded for getting a job at a tobacconist and thinking people wouldn't smoke inside.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I understand that you're our resident cynic and it's your job to make fun of everything because you're just sooo much smarter than everyone else, but it only works when your facts are correct. Most tobacco stores don't allow smoking in the building. It's not unreasonable for someone applying to a tobacco store to assume no one will be smoking inside. Also, this isn't the position I applied for. I applied for a position in the convenience store in the same building, but they put me in the tobacco shop. I understand that you didn't have this bit of info at the time of your post, but considering your blatant disregard for the first obvious error in your forced cynical logic, I don't think it would've changed your response too much had you known.

Being smart can sometimes warrant being a douchebag, I get that. Every forum has that one intelligent cynic who's an asshole to everyone except his small forum posse. It's a charming novelty, and you fulfil it excellently, but if you're going to ditch the "intelligence" in the equation, you're just a troll.

[quote name='gindias']His boss should fire his ass before he tries to file some BS complaint about 2nd hand smoke. I hate people that put themselves in these positions and try to force everyone around them to accommodate to their needs. I am not suggesting the OP is doing this yet, but I bet its in his future.[/QUOTE]

I really don't know where this idea that I'm going to try to alter store policies is coming from. I don't think I implied anywhere in the OP that I was considering such a thing. I'm not some fatass, average American douche who spoils the fun for everyone else just because I'm offended or uncomfortable. I'm actively looking for a new job, and I decided to stop and make a thread here to see if anyone had any helpful advice. That's all.

Don't forget about second hand smoke from used videogames. I recently got this response on goozex after blowing smoke in the bubble mailer and sealing it shut:

Hi,

Not sure if it was the mailer you used or what but the game and mailer really smelled like smoke/cigarettes ... I have never run into that one before!

Since I don't make it a point of smelling my games while playing them, I gave you positive feedback nevertheless. I'll spray it with Febreeze and air it out for a while just the same.

Thanks Again - the game looks like a lot of fun.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I recently acquired a job at a tobacco store near my house, which most people find strange because I don't smoke. I run and maintain these self-packing cigarette machine things, and...that's pretty much it. It's actually an extremely easy job and I get paid a decent amount of cash to do it.

It sounded pretty sweet at first, but then I discovered that customers are allowed to smoke in the store, which does not sit well with me. Everyone pretty much conjugates around my area to smoke. It's not too bad on most days, but sometimes it's absolutely unbearable, and I'm starting to worry about it affecting my health. I'm worried about the risks of breathing in second hand smoke multiple times a week for a year or more. I tried doing a little research online as to how long it usually takes for one to get cancer from cigarette smoke, and the answers ranged anywhere from 60 years to six months, so I thought I'd ask around on here.

Does anybody have any information on this? I'm honestly really worried about it, and I'm considering quitting if I can't get some definitive proof that I don't need to be worried.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, SRSLY guy.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'm worried about the risks of breathing in second hand smoke multiple times a week for a year or more. I tried doing a little research online as to how long it usually takes for one to get cancer from cigarette smoke, and the answers ranged anywhere from 60 years to six months, so I thought I'd ask around on here.

Does anybody have any information on this? I'm honestly really worried about it, and I'm considering quitting if I can't get some definitive proof that I don't need to be worried.[/QUOTE]

My best friends uncle worked in a cigarette store got such bad cancer from it that they had to amputate a bunch of his shit. After that, he kept working there but he was protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act so he didn't get cancer any more.

[quote name='thorbahn3']This is like that time I worked at a slaughter house and became offended easily because I'm a vegetarian.[/QUOTE]

Are you retarded?

I am not offended, upset, or angry. I have no plans to sue the store or complain about rights. I did not say or request anything unreasonable, or imply that I intended to do anything drastic or self-centered. All I wanted was some info on second hand smoke, and how long it generally takes to become a serious health risk. This is being blown way out of proportion.

This is like that that one time I worked in a coal mine in Pennsylvania and became offended when people came out black.

I don't see the problem with masks....

Most Eastern, far eastern countries already wear them due to pollution and illness. mostly overcrowding of course.

I'd say who cares if the mask is douche-y, it's either that or the job. At least that's how I would go if it were between my health and money.

does the business have benefits? Healtcare, 401k? maybe more leverage with the mask?

[quote name='xycury']does the business have benefits? Healtcare, 401k? maybe more leverage with the mask?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. It's just a small part-time thing.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Most tobacco stores don't allow smoking in the building. It's not unreasonable for someone applying to a tobacco store to assume no one will be smoking inside.
.[/QUOTE]

just curious where you heard this, not saying you are wrong, but every single tobacco specialty store i have been in allows you to smoke in them. i have been in atleast a dozen, with about 4 or 5 in ocean city where i live, and all of them allow smoking because they are a tobacco specialty store, one store about a 5 minute drive from me actually has a machine constantly pumping out pipe tobaco smoke giving the place the scent, kind of neat actually (if smoke dosnt bother you that is) kind of fits in ya know' :D. not thread crapping or complaining, its more curiosity then anything

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']just curious where you heard this, not saying you are wrong, but every single tobacco specialty store i have been in allows you to smoke in them. i have been in atleast a dozen, with about 4 or 5 in ocean city where i live, and all of them allow smoking because they are a tobacco specialty store, one store about a 5 minute drive from me actually has a machine constantly pumping out pipe tobaco smoke giving the place the scent, kind of neat actually (if smoke dosnt bother you that is) kind of fits in ya know' :D. not thread crapping or complaining, its more curiosity then anything[/QUOTE]

Well, our store is currently fighting a legal battle over the matter, among other things. Smoking usually isn't allowed inside places of business.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Alright, I understand that you're our resident cynic and it's your job to make fun of everything because you're just sooo much smarter than everyone else, but it only works when your facts are correct. Most tobacco stores don't allow smoking in the building. It's not unreasonable for someone applying to a tobacco store to assume no one will be smoking inside. Also, this isn't the position I applied for. I applied for a position in the convenience store in the same building, but they put me in the tobacco shop. I understand that you didn't have this bit of info at the time of your post, but considering your blatant disregard for the first obvious error in your forced cynical logic, I don't think it would've changed your response too much had you known.

Being smart can sometimes warrant being a douchebag, I get that. Every forum has that one intelligent cynic who's an asshole to everyone except his small forum posse. It's a charming novelty, and you fulfil it excellently, but if you're going to ditch the "intelligence" in the equation, you're just a troll.[/QUOTE]Ahahaha, what?

All I'm sayin' is that when you decided to get a job at a smoke shop, you should expect to have to deal with smoking. Every single tobacconist or head shop I've gone to for tobacco has allowed smoking indoors, and I've been to quite a few.

It's too bad you got stuck somewhere you didn't want to be at the convenience store, but like people have said, either put up, or leave.
You're going to be perfectly fine working there, regardless though.

alot of people react differently to smoking and second hand smoking. Some may smoke ALL their life until they are 80 - 90. some may smoke for ONE year of their life and get fucked for life. I see this case at work where an individual smoked for a very short period but their bodies werent cut out for it so they are facing some serious shit.

if i were you, I'd get another job. You won't find out which type of person you are until you end up at the hospital decades later.

I've also never seen a tobacco store that allowed smoking. But I've never been to any that would be described as smoking lounges either. Just regular stores that sold cigarettes and cigars, nothing fancy, since I'm not a smoker. Could be a function of area as well, having lived in DC and now Atlanta which have smoking bans--though I'm sure there are smoking lounges around that allow smoking. I've just never stumbled across one.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I really don't know where this idea that I'm going to try to alter store policies is coming from. I don't think I implied anywhere in the OP that I was considering such a thing. [/QUOTE]

My half bad. Somebody else and I were suggesting safety equipment and I kind of got carried away.

bread's done
Back