Worst Gamestop experience ever!

repetske

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I had my worst game purchasing retail experience ever today. I called Lamestop (I changed the name to protect the store's identity) and asked if they could hold 3 games for me, so that my girlfriend could pick them up in the buy 2 get 1 special. They say sure and are super friendly. Already, I had called and the ASM told me he couldn't hold games, even for a couple of hours, so this was a little shocking, but nice.

Anyway, my girlfriend arrives and they pull out only 2 of games. She was like, "you better not have held the wrong games after I drove all the way out here." Keep in mind, she is injured and on crutches and just drove almost half an hour to get there, so they could tell she might be dangerous. They then say that after the games were held, the store manager came in and saw the games being held and got pissed off. He then took the only preowned copy of Oblivion within around 40 miles and hid it for himself. The employees actually had my girlfriend call me and tried to explain this to me. I was at work and definitely not pleased to hear this. After many apologies and the District Managers name being given to me, I was put back on the phone with my girlfriend. Right as we were hanging up, they "miraculously" found the missing game and sold the 3 games to her even though the ASM was chanting "he's going to kill me" the entire time she was checking out.

I also had an exchange issue where they tried to make her trade in a game that was purchased the day before, because none of the three employees knew about the preowned exchange policy. All in all, this was my worst experience at "Lamestop". Feel free to chime in. I just had to vent.

She totally should have knocked the magazine rack over and crutched out of there. :mrgreen:

Talk about a rinky dink operation. Store manager decides to hide a game for himself after an employee has promised to hold it for a customer? (Whether that is against policy or not, if it's already been promised to the customer you really need to go with that.) Then the employees actually tell said customer exactly what happened. Ha!

She should've hit him with her crutches..
Question:Why was she going there, on crutches and hurting, and not you? o_O

well, they didnt have to hold them, and it isnt store policy to allow things to be held, and what the manager says usually goes to an employee when a job is on the line, so, i think you are the poor customer, although, they should have just told you that they couldnt hold them to begin with

Well, in the end, you did get your games, so I imagine that many, many others have had worse experiences than you.

At any rate, it's unfortunate that employees rationalize their pitiful retail existence by such 'perks' as holding games for themselves.

[quote name='Zahiti']She should've hit him with her crutches..
Question:Why was she going there, on crutches and hurting, and not you? o_O[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. Are we really sending disabled women to pick up video games for us?

[quote name='wubb']She totally should have knocked the magazine rack over and crutched out of there. :mrgreen:

Talk about a rinky dink operation. Store manager decides to hide a game for himself after an employee has promised to hold it for a customer? (Whether that is against policy or not, if it's already been promised to the customer you really need to go with that.) Then the employees actually tell said customer exactly what happened. Ha![/quote] Or, go to the end of a wall of games, and shove the highest reachable shelf with a crutch. If pushed hard enough, there's a possibility that the whole wall of games on that shelf would crash down. Maybe, even take games from other shelves with them. THAT, would be the stuff of legends.

I'm looking at my checking acct right now and Gamestop may have charged me twice for a game I bought last night.... grrrr..... I only signed for/authorized one charge, so hopefully one will disappear. Hopefully. (These are pending charges, not final yet.)

"Within minutes I was online and registering my displeasure all around the Internet."

//or however the quote goes...

"you better not have held the wrong games after I drove all the way out here."

There's the problem. The cashier(s) may have taken that as an aggresive statement and decided to deem her a mean person.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Someone has to say it.

What kind of asshole has their injured crutch using girlfrind go out and buy them games? :D[/QUOTE]

Hey. He could have been a huge conformist and made his mom do it.

So he gets points for the heightened mysogyny.

And I champion such actions.

[quote name='tholly']well, they didnt have to hold them, and it isnt store policy to allow things to be held, and what the manager says usually goes to an employee when a job is on the line, so, i think you are the poor customer, although, they should have just told you that they couldnt hold them to begin with[/QUOTE]

Get serious. You have to raise at least a bit of a fuss if a store tells you one thing and then feeds you a different line once you get in there. Don't just bend over and take it.

[quote name='wubb']Get serious. You have to raise at least a bit of a fuss if a store tells you one thing and then feeds you a different line once you get in there. Don't just bend over and take it.[/QUOTE]

so, an employee says they will hold games for you

that employee's manager then says no

you show up, and the employee wants to keep their job, so they say the games werent held

.... a rational person would understand that the cashier is just doing their job, doesnt get paid much, and probably wants to keep their job

.... anyone that makes a fuss is just as much an asshole as the manager that makes an employee go back on something that they said to a customer

[quote name='wubb']She totally should have knocked the magazine rack over and crutched out of there. :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

and thrown glitter everywhere!

[quote name='tholly']so, an employee says they will hold games for you

you show up, and the employee wants to keep their job, so they say the games werent held

.... a rational person would understand that the cashier is just doing their job, doesnt get paid much, and probably wants to keep their job

.... anyone that makes a fuss is just as much an asshole as the manager that makes an employee go back on something that they said to a customer[/QUOTE]

Raising a fuss != jumping around gibbering like a lunatic.

Really anyone that would show up at a store and have an exchange like this:

"Here's two of your games"
"Where's the 3rd you said you would hold 3 games?"
"Yeah, we only held 2. It's against store policy to hold games so really it was nice of us to hold those 2."
"Oh okay, no problem."

Is a wimp.

[quote name='wubb']Raising a fuss != jumping around gibbering like a lunatic.

"Yeah, we only held 2. It's against store policy to hold games so really it was nice of us to hold those 2."
"Oh okay, no problem."

Is a wimp.[/QUOTE]
I'd say what makes this situation worse is that the last store quote was essentially:

"Yeah, we only held 2. It's against store policy to hold games, so my manager decided to hide the third game for himself just to spite you."

And yes, that is fucked up.

If the reason was "Oh, a customer came in and asked for the third game, so we had to sell it to them," I would accept that, or at least be less pissed.

[quote name='botticus']
If the reason was "Oh, a customer came in and asked for the third game, so we had to sell it to them," I would accept that, or at least be less pissed.[/QUOTE]

I still wouldn't be.

If a store gives you their word they will hold them, and you drive an hour or so to get to said store only to find out they are gone, I would be amazingly pissed.

[quote name='repetske']I had my worst game purchasing retail experience ever today. I called Lamestop (I changed the name to protect the store's identity) [/quote]

So you're protecting the store's identity, but you put it in the name of the thread?

[quote name='wubb']Raising a fuss != jumping around gibbering like a lunatic.

"Oh okay, no problem."

Is a wimp.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say they're a wimp at all. The employee was probably trying to be a nice guy. Even though he's not supposed to, he put the games aside for you. Then the manager walks in, and asks what those games are doing there. He finds out they're on hold, and he says can't do that I'm sorry. Well that's kind of the employee's fault, but if he was trying to help him out then I wouldn't be angry. Shit happens. The guy tried to hold them, and got caught.

As for putting games aside for themselves, I don't know what GS's policy is on that so I won't comment. I do know that when I worked at TRU employees could put any item on hold for themselves until their next pay period. So if GS has a policy like that in place, oh well.

[quote name='repetske']All in all, this was my worst experience at "Lamestop". Feel free to chime in. I just had to vent.[/QUOTE]

You mean "her" worst experience. Doesn't sound like you did shiznit besides send a cripple to do your shopping.

I want to add one more thing though. Where do you guys find these EBs and GSs? Granted I only go to two reguarly, but I've always had a good experience. I'm treated with respect, the employees are all friendly and knowledable, and I've become friends with a few of them. I even traded in some games one time to pick something up, and I owed like 2 bucks. As I was taking it out of my wallet guy says "No problem" and put his own money in there. Maybe it's a RI thing to have good gamestores, I don't know.

[quote name='tholly']so, an employee says they will hold games for you

.... anyone that makes a fuss is just as much an asshole as the manager that makes an employee go back on something that they said to a customer[/QUOTE]
Why would you want to keep a job that has such petty managers that you fear youd be fired over something as harmless as holding a game for a customer (1st time offence, and obviously by accident) when you arent supposed to. And also, what does that say about a company that would rather their employees lie their way out of a sitution than bend on a rule that they have which they themselves didnt enforce at first (by accident) but now want to hold firm on after the fact?
If you are working at a place where lying is acceptable to get out of something as small and petty as holding a title for a customer when you shouldnt, what the hell does that say about the treatment you can expect?
A company that has no problems lying to its customers has no problem lying to its employees more than likely. I certainly wouldnt want to work in that sort of enviornment.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I want to add one more thing though. Where do you guys find these EBs and GSs? Granted I only go to two reguarly, but I've always had a good experience. I'm treated with respect, the employees are all friendly and knowledable, and I've become friends with a few of them. I even traded in some games one time to pick something up, and I owed like 2 bucks. As I was taking it out of my wallet guy says "No problem" and put his own money in there. Maybe it's a RI thing to have good gamestores, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

My local eb is the exact same way. The non mall store one here in Little Rock is awesome.

[quote name='TC']You mean "her" worst experience. Doesn't sound like you did shiznit besides send a cripple to do your shopping.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='mykevermin']At any rate, it's unfortunate that employees rationalize their pitiful retail existence by such 'perks' as holding games for themselves.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever worked in retail myke? Because from the way it sounds you certainly never have. No offense if I am mistaken but the way you come across gives that impression and if you have mentioned to me in the past you did work or currently do work in retail then I am sorry.

As a retail employee myself yeah I do hold something for myself. But if customer came in and wanted to buy the said item I am holding then I have no problems giving it up. Why? Because I know there will always be another chance to get the said item at a later time. Its not the end of the world if I have to wait a bit. But I know not everyone thinks like that. Nothing I can do there.

my gamestops are *mostly* good around here. The west allis, WI one has an awesome manager, but the employees are mostly retarded and/or rude. Brookfield is a real crapshoot.. they're usually too uppity to give you any respect unless you're spending tons of money, cause that's a real rich town..

oh, and even if your girlfriend offered to go in her crippled state, she still should break up with your ass for allowing her to go on such a frivolous adventure for you.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Why would you want to keep a job that has such petty managers that you fear youd be fired over something as harmless as holding a game for a customer (1st time offence, and obviously by accident) when you arent supposed to. And also, what does that say about a company that would rather their employees lie their way out of a sitution than bend on a rule that they have which they themselves didnt enforce at first (by accident) but now want to hold firm on after the fact?
If you are working at a place where lying is acceptable to get out of something as small and petty as holding a title for a customer when you shouldnt, what the hell does that say about the treatment you can expect?
A company that has no problems lying to its customers has no problem lying to its employees more than likely. I certainly wouldnt want to work in that sort of enviornment.[/QUOTE]

why wouldnt they want to keep that job.....they have ensured source of income, dont have to look and apply to new jobs, maybe only need it for the summer, so getting a new one now might be impossible, maybe they love working at a game store, maybe all the other local jobs that they can do are even worse......countless numbers of things......

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I want to add one more thing though. Where do you guys find these EBs and GSs? Granted I only go to two reguarly, but I've always had a good experience. I'm treated with respect, the employees are all friendly and knowledable, and I've become friends with a few of them. I even traded in some games one time to pick something up, and I owed like 2 bucks. As I was taking it out of my wallet guy says "No problem" and put his own money in there. Maybe it's a RI thing to have good gamestores, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

It must have a lot to do with the ownership/Management. I have been shopping Gamestops/Funcoland for over a decade now, and one mystery has always baffled me - despite extremely high turnover, the "Rude" Gamestops remain extremely rude and obstinatte, while the "Good" Gamestops remain extremely kind and helpful regardless of how much time or employee turnover passes.

I've thought it might be the ownership, always hiring the same types of people and giving them the same instructions (whatever you do, treat these people like crap because they're going to try to take advantage of you at every turn!). Or, it might be the general clientel of the location that the GS is in. If the same people are constantly hasseling the same Gamestop, it would make sense that the employees are always annoyed, etc.

They have always been extremely hot or cold in my experience though. Either fantastic service and great people, or terrible service and hording jerks.

This is the worst time to go into a Gamestop. They all seem to be filled with high school kids that might like to game but are more interested in doing the absolute minimum amount of work possible. I've called my local EBs several times over the last couple weeks to see if certain games were in stock. I usually get the I"ll put the phone down for 10 seconds, talk to a friend, come back and say, "No sorry, I've looked everywhere for whatever game it was. Don't forget to bring in your trades. Bye." I can't stand the laziness at my EBs.

I thought I might get some grief over letting her go, but she insisted on going, so that I didn't have to go after work. She had also spent the last 3 days sitting on the couch with her foot propped up, so she was going stir crazy and just wanted to get out. I wasn't going to argue with her when she insisted on going.

Also, I have no problem with store employees holding items for themselves for any reasonable period of time, provided they found it first and put it on hold where I didn't see it or more specifically, call and have an employee put it aside. She and I were nice to the employees and understood that their a-hole store manager put them in the situation. While it may be against store policy to hold games, I merely asked them to hold it so that a trip could be made. This is not out of the ordinary, and I've never heard of a company writing up employees for going out of their way to help customers.

I wouldn't say this is the worst experience ever. At least you got your stuff. Read some of the other horror stories and yours will seem like a cakewalk in comparison.

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I love it when you call up, ask for a game, and they INSTANTLY tell you "No, we don't have it" before you can even finish what you're saying and then hang up.

Maybe a "We had it, but it sold" or "No, sorry, it's on hold for someone else" to make me at least think they are doing their job. Instead here's the convo I had with the guy:

Me: "Hello, do you have Marvel Vs Cap..."
Employee: "No, we don't" *click*

These places have such awesome service.

well if you're asking for marvel vs capcom 2, I assure that every clerk in the store knows if there's a copy sitting there, and they get asked at least three times a day.(at least on weekends, lets drop that to once a day on normal days of the week.) so the quick answer isn't shocking, maybe the hangup, but not the quick answer.

~b

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
As for putting games aside for themselves, I don't know what GS's policy is on that so I won't comment. I do know that when I worked at TRU employees could put any item on hold for themselves until their next pay period. So if GS has a policy like that in place, oh well.[/QUOTE]

Holding something for yourself is one thing, taking it out of someone's stack is grounds for a kick in the plums. I'd hold stuff for myself all the time at my last job. Except the difference was, this was when I took it out of the box when it came on the truck. Not going to the hold area and deciding that I could better use that Nike polo than some dipshit customer. There are some things you do, that is not one of them.

Gamestop has sucked in my estimation for years. It's not really the employee's fault, but the company's. Requiring them to ask us all these things just to keep their jobs. I won't buy any new products from them, ever, just to avoid the hassle. And if it's used, it better be a good deal, or I'll get it from someone here.

Every gaming store I ahve known has done this. If happened when I worked at EB and happened big time at the local Game Xchange.

Employees made a second job of it. Especially when they were taking in NES/SNES/Sega games.

Anything rare was bought form the customer directly and Ebayed.

This included DVD's

[quote name='Roufuss']I didn't want to make a new thread, but I love it when you call up, ask for a game, and they INSTANTLY tell you "No, we don't have it" before you can even finish what you're saying and then hang up.

Maybe a "We had it, but it sold" or "No, sorry, it's on hold for someone else" to make me at least think they are doing their job. Instead here's the convo I had with the guy:

These places have such awesome service.[/QUOTE]

That's not really unreasonable, I did that a lot when I worked at GameCrazy, in certain situations.

1. The person calling is looking for something I was just asked about min or hours ago and we had none.

2. The title is so extremely rare that we've never had it.

3. I know the tardstick on the other end will sit on the phone with me for 15-20 min (or as long as I allow him) and I had lots of other things to do.

Not saying you're one of the #3 types, but there were a lot of losers who call gamestores just to chat it up, and you never see some of these people in the store. It's creepy. And speaking of the whole putting the phone down to "look" thing.. I was in a local record shop the other day and witnessed the owner do the very same thing.. we had a good laugh about it. It's hard to tell when people are being lazy or when they actually know offhand. Most of the time they'll know offhand though.

At least the difference is with GameCrazy that you can suggest a special order in some cases and at least offer the customer something rather than just a no and click.

Time for a GLITTER BITCH!!!

but seriously, if the worst experience you ever had with Gamestop is that your Girlfriend went to pick up some games for you, and eventually left the store with said games... consider yourself lucky.

And you have a VERY nice girlfriend to do that for you. Buy her some flowers and take her out to dinner.

I don't want to break the mood but all my gamestops (3) are great. Everyone is helpful and curteous and even willing to look the other way when I want M-rated games. I also made about $200 more on trades today than I normally would have without an edge card and the extra $10 on 4 PS2 games (traded in 40).

[quote name='supadupacheap']More importantly, why did she endanger herself by going out in such a state?

Hmm, me thinks me knows who broke her legs. ;)

Somebody needs to learn how to be a real man

http://endabuse.org/programs/display.php3?DocID=9916

:p[/QUOTE]

HOW TO TREAT A LADY *from entensity*

1. When she asks how she looks shrug and say "could be better" this will keep her on her toes and girls love that.

2. Never hold her hand. This can be interpreted as a sign of weakness. (Or if she grabs your hand squeeze hers really really hard until she cries. This will impress her by showing her what a strong man you are.)

3. Once a month sneak up on her from behind and knock her over. Girls are like dogs. They love to be roughed up.

4. Call her in the middle of the night to ask if she's sleeping. If she is, say you better be. Repeat this 4 or 5 times until morning. This will show her you care.

5. When she is upset about something, suggest to her that it might be her fault. This will pave the way for her own personal improvement and every girl needs some improvement.

6. Recognize the small things . . . they usually mean the most. Then when she's sleeping, steal all her small things and break them, because jewelry is for pussies and Asian ladies.

7. If you're talking to another girl, make sure shes looking. When she is, stare into her eyes mouth the words "fuck you" and grab the other girls ass. Girls love competition.

8. Introduce her to your friends as "some chick". Women love those special nicknames.

9. Warm her up when shes cold...and not by giving her your jacket... Then you might get cold. Rather, look her in the eye and say "if you don't stop bitching about the cold right now you're going to be bitching about a black eye." The best way to get warm is with fear.

10. Take her to a party. When you get there shell have to go to the bathroom (they always do). Leave immediately. Come back right when the party's dying and yell at her the whole way home for ditching you at the party.

11. Make her laugh. A good way to do this is if she has a small pet. Kick the pet. I always find stuff like that funny. Why shouldn't girls?

12. If you care about her never ever tell her. This will only give her self confidence. Then you can never turn her into the object she deep down desires to be.

13. Every time you're in her house steal one of the following: shoes, earrings, or anything else that comes in pairs. Only take one of the pair. This way shell go crazy.

14. Give her one of your t-shirts......and make sure it has your smell on it. but not a sexy cologne smell. A bad smell. You know what I'm talking about.

15. Titty twisters and plenty of them.

16. If you're listening to music, and she asks to hear it, tell her no. This way she'll think you're mysterious.

17. Remember her birthday but don't get her something. Teach her material objects aren't important. The only thing thats important is that she keeps you happy. And your happiness is the greatest present she can ever get.

18. When she gives you a present on your birthday, Christmas, or just when ever, take it and tell her you love it. Then next time you know she's coming over on a trash day leave the trash can open and have the present visibly sticking out of the can. Girls actually don't like this one that much but I think it's funny.

19. If shes mad at you for not calling her when you say you will promise her that you will call her at a certain time of the day. This will make sure that she waits by the phone. Tell her when you call you're going to tell her a special surprise. Now shell be really excited. Now don't call.

20. Next time you are having sex, make sure you get off before she does, then get off her and leave. Girls love that.

LOL FreakMike, I've done every one of those, cept the abuse related ones. And, I would never do the kicking the pets thing, unless its a rotweiller thats snarling at me.

Umm, I believe in the original post, he said he couldn't get them because he was at work.

" employees actually had my girlfriend call me and tried to explain this to me. I was at work and definitely not pleased to hear this. "

He could have possibly been working all through the end of the sale...

At least I would do this for my boyfriend, if there was no way he could do it himself.

If I would go to work or the hair salon on crutches why wouldn't I get my love some games?

[quote name='wubb']She totally should have knocked the magazine rack over and crutched out of there. :mrgreen:

Talk about a rinky dink operation. Store manager decides to hide a game for himself after an employee has promised to hold it for a customer? (Whether that is against policy or not, if it's already been promised to the customer you really need to go with that.) Then the employees actually tell said customer exactly what happened. Ha![/QUOTE]

I went to a gamestop an hour away and got there about six pm to pick up valkyrie profile and they did hold me (this was like six months ago and I paid 63ish for it), but had they not....

I would have totally knocked over something on the way out!

Originally Posted by Roufuss
I didn't want to make a new thread, but I love it when you call up, ask for a game, and they INSTANTLY tell you "No, we don't have it" before you can even finish what you're saying and then hang up.

These places have such awesome service.[/quote]

this has happened to me and i ended up buying it from another gamestop. i checked gamestops inventory thing to see if my local one had it in stock. called them up to see if they had it. he flat out said no. went to other store to buy it. the only thing that pissed me off was when i went back to my local gamestop looked in the gaming section and saw the game i wanted to buy. they had 3 of the games in there. could have saved me gas

bread's done
Back