Worst Movies of 2004

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Lemony Snickets: A series of Unfortunate events....OMG this movie was horrible, yeah Jim Carrey was funny, but he's barely in the movie, the only good thing in the movie was Jim Carrey and he was in the movie for about a total of 30m or less, the rest was crap!!!!!! pure Crapp!!!![/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jim Carrey have multiple parts in the movie? I think I saw a trailer that said starring Jim Carrey, Jim Carrey, Jim Carrey, and Jim Carrey. So if he only had 30m or less of air time with 4 or 5 different roles, that would be pretty sad. I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on whether its bad or not tho...

Sad...I didn't make it to the show once this entire year!!
Based on ads and clips I'd have to say Catwoman and New York Minute looked like this year's rubbish.

[quote name='johnnyoski']Sad...I didn't make it to the show once this entire year!!
Based on ads and clips I'd have to say Catwoman and New York Minute looked like this year's rubbish.[/quote]

New York Minute played at the fucking Tribeca Film Festival, that pissed me off soooo much, think of how many creative movie ideas there are out there that were bumped so two moderatley hot wtins could make a crappy movie

Day after tomorrow: Never been so pissed off after seeing a movie, until i saw
Open Water. WORST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN. I would rather hack off my left arm with a butter knife than watch that crap again.

[quote name='smalien1']Anchorman was so bad, Bubba Hotep was great, whoever said it wsn't[/quote]
anchorman was awesome. Will ferral is the man
[quote name='levi333']Day after tomorrow: Never been so pissed off after seeing a movie, until i saw
.[/quote]
cant agree more. The special effects were awesome but it was so stupid and long.
Alien vs. Preadators was also bad. The whole hypeof "Whoever wins we lose" made no sense by the end of the movie. I just did not see how that fit in

[quote name='PaulEMoz'][quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='PaulEMoz']When this year's films have all been on HBO/Showtime etc., then I'll post what I think is the worst film of this year. :)[/quote]

Stealing cable, are we?[/quote]

No. But watching a film on one of those channels is not the same as going and paying $10 per pop at the cinema. It is paying to watch it, sure, but it's nowhere near the same when it's just part of your bill. There are loads of films that I watch on telly that I wouldn't dream of forking out $10 for at the cinema.[/quote]

Hmmm...you also pay with your time and there are NO refunds for that. :wink:

So far we have...

Catwoman
Chronicles of Riddick
Bubba Ho-Tep
I, Robot
White Chicks
Spanglish
Anacondas
SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2
Johnson Family Vacation
The Village
The Grudge
Van Helsing
Alexander
Dodgeball
The Forgotten
Day After Tomorrow
Open Water
Garfield
King Arthur

I wanna add...

Timeline
Bad Santa
Beyond Re-Animator (not sure if its 2003 or 2004)
Gothika
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (not sure if its 2003 or 2004)
Passion of the Christ

[quote name='Devin']So far we have...

Catwoman
Chronicles of Riddick
Bubba Ho-Tep
I, Robot
White Chicks
Spanglish
Anacondas
Johnson Family Vacation
The Village
The Grudge
Van Helsing
Alexander
Dodgeball
The Forgotten
Day After Tomorrow
Open Water
Garfield
King Arthur

I wanna add...

Timeline
Bad Santa
Gothika
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Passion of the Christ[/quote]
I think I agree with about 80% of that list and strongly disagree with about 20% of the list.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='Devin']So far we have...

Catwoman
Chronicles of Riddick
Bubba Ho-Tep
I, Robot
White Chicks
Spanglish
Anacondas
Johnson Family Vacation
The Village
The Grudge
Van Helsing
Alexander
Dodgeball
The Forgotten
Day After Tomorrow
Open Water
Garfield
King Arthur

I wanna add...

Timeline
Bad Santa
Gothika
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
I think I agree with about 80% of that list and strongly disagree with about 20% of the list.[/quote]

Sopme of those movies are cool.

Bad Santa's an awesome movie, very funny. I just watched it and loved it.

There's quite a few good movies on that list that don't deserve being up there.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='Devin']So far we have...

Catwoman
Chronicles of Riddick
Bubba Ho-Tep
I, Robot
White Chicks
Spanglish
Anacondas
Johnson Family Vacation
The Village
The Grudge
Van Helsing
Alexander
Dodgeball
The Forgotten
Day After Tomorrow
Open Water
Garfield
King Arthur

I wanna add...

Timeline
Bad Santa
Gothika
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
I think I agree with about 80% of that list and strongly disagree with about 20% of the list.[/quote]

I have not seen most of those, but how can anyone like Kill Bill?

That was the dumbest movie ever. Almost every dumb action movie alive had more plot than that piece of trash.I have seen my fair share of dumb movies over the past year( punisher, AVP, RE 2) but this one took the cake. If I had went to the theater by myself to see that, I would have walked out 30 minutes in and demanded a refund. It was almost as bad as Finding Nemo (I fell alseep during that movie)

Well, I enjoyed pretty much all the movies I saw this year, including Van Helsing (I call it the hong-kong ripoff edition of Castlevania... Guy playing Dracula sucked though). I realize that doesn't say much for my credibility as a critic here, but I digress...

Based on commercials, I'm going to make myself a pariah and say Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing about that movies seemed funny to me, and the main star's mannerisms just seemed annoying. Still, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I haven't actually seen the movie.

[quote name='BlueWingX']Well, I enjoyed pretty much all the movies I saw this year, including Van Helsing (I call it the hong-kong ripoff edition of Castlevania... Guy playing Dracula sucked though). I realize that doesn't say much for my credibility as a critic here, but I digress...

Based on commercials, I'm going to make myself a pariah and say Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing about that movies seemed funny to me, and the main star's mannerisms just seemed annoying. Still, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I haven't actually seen the movie.[/quote]

I just watched it. It was pretty good. There are a lot of eccentric people in the story that make the movie enjoyable. The commercials do not do it justice.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']

That was the dumbest movie ever. Almost every dumb action movie alive had more plot than that piece of trash.I have seen my fair share of dumb movies over the past year( punisher, AVP, RE 2) but this one took the cake. If I had went to the theater by myself to see that, I would have walked out 30 minutes in and demanded a refund. It was almost as bad as Finding Nemo (I fell alseep during that movie)[/quote]

Just what kind of movie do you like?

I'm guessing you're in with the "English Patient" crowd (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

That was the dumbest movie ever. Almost every dumb action movie alive had more plot than that piece of trash.I have seen my fair share of dumb movies over the past year( punisher, AVP, RE 2) but this one took the cake. If I had went to the theater by myself to see that, I would have walked out 30 minutes in and demanded a refund. It was almost as bad as Finding Nemo (I fell alseep during that movie)[/quote]

I'm guessing you're in with the "English Patient" crowd (not that there's anything wrong with that...)[/quote]

mainly action movies with plots. I love Beverly Hills Cop and Die Hard to death (just two examples). Probably have seen those movies 50 times each.

I haven't seen a single movie mentioned so far (but I'm interested in I, Robot). So... I can't remember what was really bad. I'll see if anyone mentions any movie I've seen.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

I'm guessing you're in with the "English Patient" crowd (not that there's anything wrong with that...)[/quote]

mainly action movies with plots. I love Beverly Hills Cop and Die Hard to death (just two examples). Probably have seen those movies 50 times each.[/quote]

Yeah, but the plot in Bev Hills Cop is paper thin when you watch it these days.

I'm a dialog freak and I like strong character development, I guess that's why I go for movies like the Usual Suspects, Pitch Black, Grosse Pointe Blank and (almost) all things Tarantino.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

mainly action movies with plots. I love Beverly Hills Cop and Die Hard to death (just two examples). Probably have seen those movies 50 times each.[/quote]

Yeah, but the plot in Bev Hills Cop is paper thin when you watch it these days.

I'm a dialog freak and I like strong character development, I guess that's why I go for movies like the Usual Suspects, Pitch Black, Grosse Pointe Blank and (almost) all things Tarantino.[/quote]

you throw in some quality humor and it covers up a thin plot. plus it had great characters. Bronson Pinchot is the fuckin man

and I love the usual suspects. That is an amazing movie

Some of you guys suck at telling apart movies from 2003 and 2004 :)

I will nominate Alexander since that's the only stupid movie I watched (avoided Catwoman, Envy, Christmas w/ the Kranks...etc).

:shock: My goodness there really was a lot of crapolla in the Movies this year big budget's and lots of special effects but not very interesting. I saw Limney Snicket I thought it was very typical great actors nice special effects big budget stinkey poo director, I fell asleep several times.I wonder who got paid off for this movie the critics raved about this movie.It is on my worst of the year list.
They have run out of ideas in Hollywood. ie Big movies coming in 2005 all remakes of classic movies:
Willy Wonka
War of the Worlds
Pink Panther
Oh please give us a break.
All above destined to be on next years worst list.
Evey time you go to a movie that stinks and spend your hard earned cash you send a message to Hollywood that says yeah they are suckers. Give them computer graphics and they will come. Lets all boycotte crap movies this year maybe they will get the messaage.

[quote name='Devin']Oh yeah!

Shaun of the Dead
The Punisher

They sucked...[/quote]

Shaun of the Dead?!?! Ok now your really trying to tick people off around here, me especially,(not really though, I'm kidding, but...). Did you like ANY movie that came out within the last year?

[quote name='BlueWingX']
Based on commercials, I'm going to make myself a pariah and say Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing about that movies seemed funny to me, and the main star's mannerisms just seemed annoying. Still, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I haven't actually seen the movie.[/quote]

Napoleon Dynamite is pretty much my favorite movie of the year...
You've really gotta give it a try though. I felt the same way from seeing the commercials until I just recently saw it since it came out on DVD. If you like random humor, such as a steak being thrown at someone's head, or if you remember that really dorky kid from school that lied about everything then you will like Napoleon Dynamite.

[quote name='Devin']So far we have...

Catwoman
Chronicles of Riddick
Bubba Ho-Tep
I, Robot
White Chicks
Spanglish
Anacondas
Johnson Family Vacation
The Village
The Grudge
Van Helsing
Alexander
Dodgeball
The Forgotten
Day After Tomorrow
Open Water
Garfield
King Arthur

I wanna add...

Timeline
Bad Santa
Gothika
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2

Wow, you hate movies period. Kill Bill 1 and 2 were awesome movies.

[quote name='Trakan']
Wow, you hate movies period. Kill Bill 1 and 2 were awesome movies.[/quote]
While I liked both films, I believe vol 1 has too much action and vol 2 has too much dialogue. The two volumes just seem like two different beasts instead of one consistent entity. This is why I hope in the future Tarantino will re-edit the two volumes and fuse them into one more balanced film that will ultimately be superior to its two parts.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='Trakan']
While I liked both films, I believe vol 1 has too much action and vol 2 has too much dialogue. The two volumes just seem like two different beasts instead of one consistent entity. This is why I hope in the future Tarantino will re-edit the two volumes and fuse them into one more balanced film that will ultimately be superior to its two parts.[/quote]

I agree with you to a certain extent. If he makes them into one movie, like it was originally supposed to be, it will still be action in the beginning and dialogue at the end. I like Vol. 2 way better than 1. I agree there was too much action in the first, but thought that the second was balanced. I also hope he keeps them seperate just so some things don't get cut out. I hope the SE comes out soon so I can see the rest of the features and more deleted scenes. The one deleted scene I saw on the DVD I rented with Michael Jai White was very good. Hopefully I'll see more of the same.

Anyone nominating Before Sunset and The Passion of the Christ is on crack. Those were two of the BEST films of the year.

Bubba Ho-Tep came out last year, but either way, it also has no place on this list. It was a great movie.

Worst movies of last year, off topic, yes, do I care, no, were Cabin Fever and Once Upon A Time In Mexico, year before that, definitely Abandon. This year though? I thought everything kinda sucked. But I'll say Alien Vs. Predator. Paul W.S. Anderson needs to be shot, once for every minute he's made each person see of his pathetic attempt at filmmaking.

I just saw Napoleon Dynamite last night, and i wasn't impressed at all. I thought it was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. The acting was awful, the dialogue was even worse, i just couldn't find anything i liked in this movie. Just my opinion though, theres a lot of people who think the complete opposite about this movie.

Napoleon Dynamite is funnier if you just watch random scenes out of it, without any setup, or just listen to random quotes from it.

Like me and one of my friends cracked up on the line "Tina, come get some ham!" for a good day or two. But otherwise, I agree.

Any movie starring Leotardo DiCraprio ... if you substitute any actor in his place, including Freddie Prinze Jr., the movie will go up about 3 notches on the 10 scale. Martin Scorsese seems to have a real hard on for him though in the last couple of years. Maybe he's paying back Leo for "services" rendered :p

How did we miss Soul Plane people? It has to win, hands down.

The other movies (excepting maybe Garfield) were bad.. but worth watching for certain comedic or action moments... there is nothing redeeming about Soul Plane.

The movie is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in its rambling, incoherent story was it even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in our society is now dumber for having seen the advertisements for it. I award them no points, and may God have mercy on their soul.

[quote name='opportunity777']Any movie starring Leotardo DiCraprio ... if you substitute any actor in his place, including Freddie Prinze Jr., the movie will go up about 3 notches on the 10 scale. Martin Scorsese seems to have a real hard on for him though in the last couple of years. Maybe he's paying back Leo for "services" rendered :p[/quote]

Blah. He's an easy target, but he truly is a great actor. He really carried the Gangs of NY role, pretty amazing considering how small he is.

If you're looking for overrated, try anything that Eddie Murphy has done lately.

It didn't come out this year, but I'd like to vote for "The Ring" every year. Blech!

For this year, I've done a great job (I think) of picking and choosing movies to watch...everything I've seen so far was pretty darn good.

Soul Plane should win yeah. I only laughed once(part where snoop dogg sweats it out in the cockpit) and i didnt even backup the movie after downloading the movie for free.

Okay, let me say why I didn't like Bubba Ho-Tep.
Its pretty close to the same reason I didn't like Halo.
It was hyped up to be something it wasn't. Worst thou it was hyped up to be something it wasn't by Bruce Campbell himself.
I went to a seminar that Bruce Campbell was putting on about film making and how bad hollywood has become.
Bubba Ho-Tep was brought up a number of time, and he describbed it as a Action pack Comedy. Where a old Elvis and and a Black JFK team up to fight evil zobbie mummies. Now thats was what kind of happen in the movie, but it wasn't action pack, there was only 1 mummy. 3/4 was boring dialog that could have easly been cut out and it wouldn't have effected the movie. There was more time spent with Elvis talking about his limp willy and the growth on it then actually fighting or planing to defeat the mummy. And on top of that the ending totaly blew.

The movie did have its few moments. But as a whole movie I feel it ranks pretty high as one of Bruce Campbell's worst.

Maybe if I had watched it without hearing Bruce Campbell saying how great it was and hypeing it up as the next Evil Dead I would have enjoyed it more. who knows. =/

all I know is the next time I see him I'm going to tell him 2 things. First, what I thought of Bubba Ho-Tep. And second, that Matthew Perry was right, The Evil Dead games really do Suck!

I'm not sure as to "the worst," but I do know my own personal "Thought it would be the worst." I went into Anchorman expecting the same ol' Ferrell schtick, which it was. But, it struck some unknown cosmic funny bone and had me laughing throughout the entire movie. I saw it twice in theatres, and I'm picking up the 2 disc DVD later today. I was that impressed with it.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='Trakan']
While I liked both films, I believe vol 1 has too much action and vol 2 has too much dialogue. The two volumes just seem like two different beasts instead of one consistent entity. This is why I hope in the future Tarantino will re-edit the two volumes and fuse them into one more balanced film that will ultimately be superior to its two parts.[/quote]

I agree with you to a certain extent. If he makes them into one movie, like it was originally supposed to be, it will still be action in the beginning and dialogue at the end. I like Vol. 2 way better than 1. I agree there was too much action in the first, but thought that the second was balanced. I also hope he keeps them seperate just so some things don't get cut out. I hope the SE comes out soon so I can see the rest of the features and more deleted scenes. The one deleted scene I saw on the DVD I rented with Michael Jai White was very good. Hopefully I'll see more of the same.[/quote]
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are actually one movie split into two.

Oh and my nomination: One night in China

bread's done
Back