Would this be a good laptop?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I'm in need of a new laptop and I found this refurb Asus G73jw for $760.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3310573&CatId=4938

The thing is, I don't know jack about laptop technology in comparison to desktop computers. It has most of what I want: large screen w/ high resolution, Nvidia graphics card (I think they handle spreadsheets/etc. better), full number pad and looks like it runs cool-- so I think it will work great for homework on side-by-side databases, spreadsheets and some light gaming.

But I don't know how good Asus laptops are and I'm unsure as to the whole "1st gen" i7, nor am I sure about the whole 2 month warranty. I've done some research on Asus refurbs and most people say good things about them.

I'm currently using a 5 year old 12" Acer and hate it. I need to upgrade soon.

Graphics card list

Cpu list
Both look good. The laptop would likely give you better gaming performance than work performance(e-mail,programming,video rendering ect....), though as long as you are not doing anything that is demanding you probably wouldn't notice.
Warranty is a warranty. If you are worried about it I would try to find what parts are prone to failure on that laptop.

I just went to look at the G75 model at Best Buy... and man, this thing is gigantic. I probably need to think this over a bit more.

I got this Asus G74SX-DH72 from Amazon Warehouse for under $1K.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PAJICG/ref=wms_ohs_product

Gaming laptops in general are big. There is no way around that. Smaller Laptops will have integrated Graphics Cards, which will give you low settings for most games, but they are still a little pricey. You can get a 1080p resulition on 15.6" laptops, so if size is a concern you can get one of those and still have a nice screen resolution.

Look on Amazon Warehouse for deals, because you can get quite a good laptop from there.

I'm just in shock... I've never purchased a gaming laptop. It's so much bigger than the 17" non-gaming Lenovo I was looking at (which does have a 630m, much weaker but better than integrated).

Thanks for the Amazon Warehouse tip, I didn't look there. I'm seeing a G74 "b grade" on Newegg for $800 (better hardware, and costs only a bit more)... it's tempting but I don't like the idea of "Scratch and Dent" they put in the title but provided no details beyond that.

Don't get me wrong though... if the older models perform half as good as the G75, then I'll be happy. Everything on that laptop was literally instant and it ran so cool. My tiny little Acer is like a oven by comparison.

I've had my g74sx-dh71 since December and absolutely love it. Its very large, but has amazing cooling. Never runs hot and is silent. It I go with an Asus the only I would recommend would be getting a mouse. For whatever reason Asus can't get a trackpad right.

I just ordered the B grade "scratch & dent" G74... hopefully it's not too fucked up cosmetically. The performance you get for $800 is pretty much unbeatable.

bread's done
Back