Would You Believe This Guy or Not?

beetlegum

CAGiversary!
I swear, everytime that I take a risk and plunge down a big chunk of change on an Ebay auction, I get the runaround.

Two weeks ago, I won a big auction for all 7 Star Trek TNG dvd boxsets at 420 total with shipping and insurance. I paid 3 dollar extra for insurance because the seller stated that he was not responsible for lost packages.

Well, first, I do not get an invoice for 2 days after I had requested one. I paid immediately, and then the waiting game began. After 8 days, the seller writes me and states that he has been out of town, and will mail the dvds as soon as he gets back the following week. I wait to the end of that week, and now my patience has run out. I write the guy wanting to know what is going on. HE writes back, and says that the dvds have not been mailed yet, but he assured me that he was not jerking me around and the sets would be mailed out by the end of the week. He said that he had a death in the family. That was Friday, so did he mean Saturday or this coming Saturday? Well, yesterday, I got fed up and filed a paypal claim against him. I hate to be skeptical, but the family death story just seems so bogus. I just don't understand why people sell stuff on Ebay and then don't ship the items.

[quote name='LaseK']I've had a death in the family during an ebay auction.

I took three goddamn minutes to go to the post office.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Even if there was a death in the family, it shouldn't take so long to receive your dvds.

Yeah, the buyer/seller quality on eBay seems to continue its decline to incompetence. I use to deal with eBay 5-6 times a month. Now they're lucky if I buy or sell one thing each month. OP, I've experienced to many of the same problems. Once, I bought a brand new PC game, and paid $8 shipping for it. It arrived Media Mail two weeks later, and it was the wrong game and the Asian Pacific version (not for sale in the U.S.) The guy said he would refund my money, but he only refunded the cost of the game... so I was out $8 shipping plus $2.55 shipping back to him.

No way in hell I'd believe him. Get your money back and if the dumbfuck still sends the DVDs, all the better. He is jerking you around. I believe paypal has a time limit window to file claims in, correct?

Paypal's buyer protection is a myth anyways, one time I waited 3 weeks to file a claim and they said "the seller removed all funds and closed his paypal account, we cannot refund your money"

They told me to file a claim with local police which I did, nothing happened with that. Bottom line, I did everything Paypal told me to do within the time period and because the scammer closed his account out, Paypal wouldn't refund the money.

Paypal + Ebay + Squaretrade are all sketchy companies just to get your money.

[quote name='alive741']Paypal + Ebay + Squaretrade are all sketchy companies just to get your money.[/QUOTE]

..which is why I rarely use ebay any more, for either buying or selling. If buying, you're usually slammed with inflated shipping charges to offset the ridiculous ebay/paypal fees...which is why I don't sell on there, either. On and on it goes...

[quote name='Quackzilla']I had an ebay auction when I went to NJ when my grandfather died.

It's not *always* bogus.[/QUOTE]

However its not like as soon as a family member dies. You rush to where they died and have no time to do anything. I don't know about other families but in my when someone dies. They call you and tell you that they someone died. if in reason (in state) you go to the place they died. then about a week later you got to a funeral. Unless you are the person who has to take care of the estate of a recently dead relative their is no reason not to take 5 minutes to ship something. Hell last time I checked their was more the one post office. I can think of 3 post office's near me. Also print the package label out through paypal and then just drop it off at the post office.

I can't fathom that you could not ship something just cause some one is dead. I think the only time I will ever not be able to do anything from being distraught from a death is my parents. Which I hope they pull a moses and never die and stay in good health.

[quote name='dark-star']...which is why I rarely use ebay any more, for either buying or selling.[/QUOTE]

I too used to frequent Ebay several times a month, but it only took one bad experience with a seller not giving me what I paid for (and Ebay not lifting a finger to help me) to turn me off to dealing with them completely. Ebay can rot in hell for all I care. :D

i agree with the majority. this guy is giving you the run around. i've dealt with this kind of person before on ebay and it was the last time i ever gave anybody a chance. i waited 3 weeks before calling it quits on my first (and last) bad ebay experience. :lol:

Then there are the bogus buyers too, I am dealing with one now that bought some DVD's from me. Claims she didn't get them but deliv conf says she did. I insured them (at my own expense) and it was over $50 so the PO was supposed to get a sig, but of course they didn't. Now I'm fighting with them to pay a claim, they don't want to 'cause they say it has been delivered. I cleared out my paypal and closed it when I saw she claimed lost packages several times before according to her feedback. Somtimes a seller has to protect themselves too.

But it sounds like they are scamming you. I always ship in 2 days, with internet postage and post offices or ups/fedex everywhere there should be no prob.

Totally bogus. Even with a death in the family, unless you're planning EVERYTHING yourself, you still have time enough time to package up something and drop it off at the post office. Calling in work for a death in the family is one thing. Using it as an excuse for not getting off your ass is another. Especially if the thing you're sending is worth over 100.

I realize its not an excuse. but, I was trading with another user over at 2cpu. I had a really bad week and didnt even remember to ship his stuff until the stuff he traded me showed up. then fedex delivered the stuff to the wrong house and it got pretty beat up. weird thing is hes still happy with it ( the case i traded was 250$ and the stuff he traded was only about 150$..long story) and was totally cool about the whole situation.(crosses-fingers) I just wanna props to people who have more patience than most of us including me.

When i was just starting on ebay I bought a gamecube on ebay right at launch and the fucker didnt ship for three weeks. but i was pretty naive back then.

how long has it been? I generally give about two weeks before i throw a shit fit.

Don't buy from sellers with below 99% positive feedback. The remaining 1% could just be dissatisfaction or some tiny complaint. Make sure to read all the feedback comments. If they sound like a good seller, then give them a chance.

Don't take chances with sellers who have negative feedback and negative comments left for them.

Seller's story may be legit, but that doesn't change the fact that you gotta do what you gotta do to look after your own interests (and money) I agree with LaseK, guy got paid $450, he can take a little time to make sure the package went out or if he is really out of it (say his mom/spouse died) just apologize and refund the money. Hopefully you paid with CC? Because alive is correct, if they cleared out their account PayPal will not refund the money to you. Still should probably go through their process, but it does take weeks for them to get through their 'investigation' IME. Best case scenario is filing the charge gets the seller off his ass and he either ships it ASAP or refunds you.

And this should really be in the Auctions forum, more eBay people would see it there. PM a mod if you want it moved.

puternerd - If you have DC that shows it as delivered, just give that info to PayPal and they should find in your favor. It only gets messy if the buyer claims SNAD. Luckily it doesnt' sound like your buyer was crafty enough to run that side of the scam (yet...)

Here is the auction if anyone is curious to see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6438761724&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I filed paypal claim against him on Tuesday, and the guy responded to paypal yesterday with a tracking number! He continues to ignore my emails, but he will write paypal if pressured. I actually had hoped that he would not respond to paypal so I would get my money back automatically on Nov. 3. Now it's another waiting game to see if this package arrives, and if he really sent me the correct items.

What's SNAD? I've had some problems as a buyer and seller, but not enough to give up on Ebay. One or two issues MAYBE a year doesn't justify me leaving them. I probably get issues from BB, CC, etc roughly the same amount of time. I understand it's different since the individuals aren't businesses. Just do your homework on the person which is right in front of you when you bid and you shouldn't have problems.

Good, hopefully that'll all turn out in the end. If I were you I wouldn't leave feedback for this one, unless you are okay with getting a retaliatory neg along the lines of 'Heartless buyer didn't care that I had a death in the family!' I wouldn't even leave + FB for this one first, as filing the claim may have pissed off the seller enough for him to just sit around waiting for you to leave first so he can crap on you. (Remember, it's not paranoia if they actually ARE out to get you. ;) )

SNAD = Significantly Not As Described.

I was defrauded out of ~$50 a few months ago, but haven't abandoned PayPal yet.

Well I got the dvds today so I can finally rest easy. The only bad thing is the bonus featurettes that he advertised were not bonus dvds. He burned copies of the featurettes onto blank dvdrs. I still got a good deal on the sets so I'm just going to let it go. He does deserve negative FB, but it's not worth the risk especially since he rarely sells items. I think he was just a cluess seller who saw nothing wrong with making someone wait 3 weeks for their items.

[quote name='beetlegum']Well I got the dvds today so I can finally rest easy. The only bad thing is the bonus featurettes that he advertised were not bonus dvds. He burned copies of the featurettes onto blank dvdrs. I still got a good deal on the sets so I'm just going to let it go. He does deserve negative FB, but it's not worth the risk especially since he rarely sells items. I think he was just a cluess seller who saw nothing wrong with making someone wait 3 weeks for their items.[/QUOTE]

Well, then I think you should give him neutral feedback then and state why. Might as well tell the truth of how your experience was.

bread's done
Back