Would you buy a Wii U if....

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
260 (100%)
They came out with a version that ditched the controller with the screen, threw in a pro controller, and priced it accordingly? I just read about how the Wii U isn't selling so hot. I for one am not looking into buying one. However after thinking about it if they did this I might be enticed to pick one up. It's just the tablet controller hasn't proved itself as a must have device and Nintendo themselves haven't really pushed the envelope with it. If I could get just the base hardware and a pro controller for around $200 I might think about it. 

Walmart is selling the basic (white) Wii U this weekend for $199. I know it's not worth it to me even at that price but I'll probably pick one up a few years down the road. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the system right now besides lack of content and 3rd party support. 

Walmart is selling the basic (white) Wii U this weekend for $199. I know it's not worth it to me even at that price but I'll probably pick one up a few years down the road. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the system right now besides lack of content and 3rd party support.
Wasn't there talk of them ditching or discontinuing the basic though? Maybe $150 with a pro controller over a screen controller, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't there talk of them ditching or discontinuing the basic though? Maybe $150 with a pro controller over a screen controller, lol.
There was and your suggestion is not a bad idea. Personally the tablet controller offers more than $50 worth of value. I can see it being great for kids. If nothing else you can play games without using the TV. So there is obviously value there and it's a pretty intricate part of what Nintendo is doing this gen.

No.

My GameCube and Wii were mostly dust gatherers, so I'll never buy another Nintendo console. I'm fine getting my first party Nintendo game fix on 3DS as that was cheaper and isn't cluttering up my tv stand in long draughts between major releases. And frankly, Nintendo isn't pushing graphics with their consoles anyway so I don't feel like I'm missing anything just playing the portable versions of their franchises.

I might think about one a few years down the road, but maybe not. I like my Wii but frankly I've got more enjoyment out of playing GameCube games and VC titles on it than actual Wii games. Even the big Mario and Zelda titles left me a little bit cold compared to past entries. So I'm not in a hurry to make an investment in Nintendo hardware any time soon.

Considering I never bought a Wii, even for $100, it's safe to say no.  I'm done with Nintendo consoles and hope they wise up soon going developer only.  I want to play their games again, but I'm not buying an entire console to do it.

The existence of the Wii U confuses me. It's not like Zelda or Mario pulls numbers anywhere near as large as the new IPs on the 360/PS3, and another casual market explosion isn't going to happen with the tablet controller. I don't know what Nintendo was expecting but I assume they know what they're doing? 

No.

My GameCube and Wii were mostly dust gatherers, so I'll never buy another Nintendo console. I'm fine getting my first party Nintendo game fix on 3DS as that was cheaper and isn't cluttering up my tv stand in long draughts between major releases. And frankly, Nintendo isn't pushing graphics with their consoles anyway so I don't feel like I'm missing anything just playing the portable versions of their franchises.
The existence of the Wii U confuses me. It's not like Zelda or Mario pulls numbers anywhere near as large as the new IPs on the 360/PS3, and another casual market explosion isn't going to happen with the tablet controller. I don't know what Nintendo was expecting but I assume they know what they're doing?
I think that's exactly what they were hoping for.
I'd almost think it would make more sense for them to come out with a super powerful 3DS with HDMI out. Focus their efforts. We all know they make great games but the Wii U is underwhelming.

A Wii U without the tablet controller is simply not going to ever happen.  That controller is 100% necessary for most of the games out so far from a technical standpoint (as well as a gameplay standpoint for many of those games).  If they dropped the tablet controller, what happens when someone goes out and buys Nintendoland?  You can't play that with the pro controller and there's no indicator on the box saying "requires tablet controller". Releasing a version of the WiiU without the tablet controller would be like releasing a Wii without the Wii controller.  It would be far more hassle than it's worth for Nintendo to deal with.

If they want more people to buy the system, there needs to be more games.  The hardware/controller isn't the issue.

A Wii U without the tablet controller is simply not going to ever happen. That controller is 100% necessary for most of the games out so far from a technical standpoint (as well as a gameplay standpoint for many of those games). If they dropped the tablet controller, what happens when someone goes out and buys Nintendoland? You can't play that with the pro controller and there's no indicator on the box saying "requires tablet controller". Releasing a version of the WiiU without the tablet controller would be like releasing a Wii without the Wii controller. It would be far more hassle than it's worth for Nintendo to deal with.

If they want more people to buy the system, there needs to be more games. The hardware/controller isn't the issue.
Not being a jerk, is there any other game besides NintendoLand that requires it?

More games will definitely up sales some--especially if coupled with a price drop.  They can't sell this underpowered console at $350 when the PS4 is $400.

That said, even if they put out a bunch of top flight first party stuff, the best they can probably hope for is to get up around GameCube level system sales.

They caught lightening in a bottle with the non-gamer fad with Wii Sports and Wii Fit.  Now they're back to basically their GameCube market--kids/families and die hard fans of their franchises who'll buy a Nintendo console just to play their games.

They can't compete with MS and Sony as the mainstream has shifted to playing things like Call of Duty, Halo, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Gears of War, The Last of Us etc, and making shooters, M-rated games etc. just isn't their strength.  And with the underpowered hardware, third party ports are useless and won't sell as they'll look so inferior to their PS4/X1 counterparts come fall.

They should really just focus on their portable next gen--maybe go some portable/console hybrid (instead of having a tablet controller).  Or just consider partnering with Sony rather than going it on their own on the hardware front. A lot of that is just wishful thinking on my part as I'd love to play Mario, Metroid and Zelda on full powered current gen consoles (rather than Nintendo's let's run a gen behind power wise approach), and be able to play them on my big screen without having to drop $200-300 for a console just for them.

Not being a jerk, is there any other game besides NintendoLand that requires it?
Uhh, most of the ones I've played do.

Game and Wario, Lego City, Rayman, ZombiU,

And I figure that a lot of the big games coming out for it this year will make use of it too.

Plus, some of the features of the system itself, such as the Miiverse and the home menu, use of the Gamepad.

True.

Have a hard time seeing them turning it around though.

This holiday season will be crucial, but will be hard for them to get much traction with the PS4 and X1 launching.

Well I don't see them turning it around completely either, but I do think having at least a few more games will bring the sales up from practically nonexistant to disappointing, but still profitable (along the lines of the Gamecube).

Well I don't see them turning it around completely either, but I do think having at least a few more games will bring the sales up from practically nonexistant to disappointing, but still profitable (along the lines of the Gamecube).

Yep. As I said above I see that as the best case scenario.

If they want to survive as a hardware company they just have to find ways to make a profit selling to their niche of longtime fans and kids/families. i.e. a way to make a profit from third place.

Yeah make a super powerful handheld with an HDMI dock. All-in-One. Boom. Done.
Or better yet, a wireless dock--like using Apple TV to get your iPad on the TV etc. Less hassle, makes any extra controllers optional etc.

I would go for that. Playing stuff like Animal Crossing on the tiny screen is fine, but stuff like a full 3D Zelda I'd much rather play on my big screen (but not enough to pay $200-300 for a Nintendo console that gathers dust between Mario/Metroid/Zelda releases).

I don't see how a couple new games is going to turn around the Wii U's fortune. That just seems like overly positive thinking. The mandatory use of the controller (on some games) is probably the main reason I will not get one. I've played a few games with it and it is a total bummer. There is no reason why that controller can't be optional. I'd take a classic controller or something similar to a Gamecube controller over the new controller, easily. 

Focus on the 3DS and it's successor and bath in that fortune. That should be Nintendo's prime directive. 

Yeah make a super powerful handheld with an HDMI dock. All-in-One. Boom. Done.
I'm not sure there is a market for that. A "super powerful" handheld will be around $250- $300. Based on how the PS Vita is doing and how poorly the 3DS sold early on I'm not sure there is a market for it. Anything that's powerful enough to play HD games on a TV via HDMI is cost prohibitive.

Wii U needs more support to get my support. I play mostly RPG games, and Nintendo's consoles have been mostly crappy for RPGs since after the SNES.

If Nintendo wants to sell shitloads of Wii U consoles, all they really have to do is say two words: "Pokemon MMO".

I'm not sure there is a market for that. A "super powerful" handheld will be around $250- $300. Based on how the PS Vita is doing and how poorly the 3DS sold early on I'm not sure there is a market for it. Anything that's powerful enough to play HD games on a TV via HDMI is cost prohibitive.
If Asus can make a Nexus 7 tablet for $229 and it has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1200 with 323 pixels per inch and it has HDMI out I'm sure Nintendo could figure out something priced similarly. Yeah they might take a loss but you'd make up that on software and the TV Dock, not to mention accessories, wireless controller etc. etc.

When the DS Lite came out I applauded the engineering behind it, it was awesome, but since then it's like Nintendo isn't trying or pushing in the wrong direction. I marveled at how great load times were on the Gamecube and now the Wii U is the slowest console (from what I've heard). If anyone can do it, they can push the envelope...and they should.

But if that console could function as both a home console and a portable, it would be attractive to a good chunk of people. It would be like having the PS3/Vita cross-buy functionality without the need for two separate expensive pieces of hardware.

Well, its hard to say what the market would be.

I'd never pay $250+ for a handheld.  But we're talking a console/portable hybrid here, so that's totally different and I'd pay more for that if done right and the software was there.

That said, it needs to be one pack with the TV dock/streamer thing included to really work.  Otherwise it gets to confusing and will just seem like an expensive portable that you can hook up to a TV with another accessory you have to buy.  Vs. bundling it together so it seems like a console just like the Sony and MS one, but one you can play your games anywhere--be it on your big screen or on a plane etc.

Edit:  What ihadfg said. :D

But if that console could function as both a home console and a portable, it would be attractive to a good chunk of people. It would be like having the PS3/Vita cross-buy functionality without the need for two separate expensive pieces of hardware.
I think the idea has legs but IMO it's a tough sell.

From Nintendo's perspective it doesn't make sense to create a jack of all trades device because they would end up undercutting themselves. Nintendo is already the market leader in handhelds. To illustrate my point, let's look at the sales figures for DS and Wii. Nintendo sold nearly 108 million DS worldwide and over 100 million Wiis. If they were to combine these two device and create one amazing device they would only reach at best about 170-180 million units (PSP was able to sell about 60 million units so a rough average of all 3 markets would yield said number). This would mean ridiculously high market penetration which would be an incredibly successful for any product in any field. However, this means that Nintendo won't won't be able to sell twice the software and most importantly they won't be able to make as much money off accessories, services etc as they do under the current model. They are still turning profit even with terrible Wii U sales. So I'm not sure the incentive is there.

Also, no one knows how this next generation of consoles is going to sell. For all we know low sales figures might be an industry wide problem.

The problem is that they're unlikely to sell anywhere near Wii numbers again unless they come up with some other new innovation/gimmick to broaden their appeal again.

So a console/portable hybrid would probably get all the DS/3DS market as long as it wasn't more than say $250-300ish at launch, and some console gamers (some of the GC/Wii U crowd at least) who aren't into portables.

It would be the DS+Wii market by any means.  But bigger than just the 3DS market, without having to lose money on a home console that isn't selling.  And then they could just focus all their resources on developing killer games for one unified platformer vs. splitting resources with having to get Mario et al. on both 3DS and Wii U currently.

Basically, a smaller market than DS+Wii is inevitable for them.  They just have to find a way to maximize their profits from a loyal, but third place in the console wars, market.  Seems a unified platform could help by getting development costs down and not losing money on a poor selling home console.

The problem is that they're unlikely to sell anywhere near Wii numbers again unless they come up with some other new innovation/gimmick to broaden their appeal again.

So a console/portable hybrid would probably get all the DS/3DS market as long as it wasn't more than say $250-300ish at launch, and some console gamers (some of the GC/Wii U crowd at least) who aren't into portables.

It would be the DS+Wii market by any means. But bigger than just the 3DS market, without having to lose money on a home console that isn't selling. And then they could just focus all their resources on developing killer games for one unified platformer vs. splitting resources with having to get Mario et al. on both 3DS and Wii U currently.

Basically, a smaller market than DS+Wii is inevitable for them. They just have to find a way to maximize their profits from a loyal, but third place in the console wars, market. Seems a unified platform could help by getting development costs down and not losing money on a poor selling home console.
I agree with most of what you're saying but unlike Sony or MS, Nintendo loses very little money on their consoles. They try to avoid selling consoles for a loss. It's my understanding that this is not the case for the Wii U as they take a slight loss for every console sold. However, their first party titles sell like gang busters and that is usually good enough to cover any loses. So ultimately over the lifetime of the console it will end up being profitable.

I think we all agree that the Wii was the perfect storm. Nintendo was able to capture the casual market almost like no other console before it. They pretty much continued to sell like gangbusters without much support from the hardcore gaming community. I doubt Nintendo will ever experience similar success again but this certainly hasn't stopped MS & Sony trying very hard to tap into the casual market.

On a slight tangent (although pertinent to our discussion) the sales figures for handhelds are really low compared to last gen. The PS Vita has only moved something to the tune of 2.2 million units last I checked. The 3DS has moved 19 million units world wide which is pretty impressive but it seems obvious that the handheld market has shrunk quite bit when compared to DS+PSP.

On a slight tangent (although pertinent to our discussion) the sales figures for handhelds are really low compared to last gen. The PS Vita has only moved something to the tune of 2.2 million units last I checked. The 3DS has moved 19 million units world wide which is pretty impressive but it seems obvious that the handheld market has shrunk quite bit when compared to DS+PSP.
Definitely. Just the impact of smartphones and tablets eating into that market.

I had no real interest in a portable until I started spending a lot more time at my girlfriend's place this spring--and the 3DS XL went on sale for $160 at target. I was just doing a little gaming on my iPhone and iPad when out and about, traveling etc. and fine with it.

And honestly, I'm not sure how much play my 3DS will get once we move in together as I haven't been playing it as much since I just left my 360 at her place to help get motivated to knock a couple things off so I can get it sold/traded in. I'd just rather game on my big screen, and I don't care my 3DS around as I always have my iPhone if I get stuck in a waiting room or whatever.

I still think the Wii U will be Nintendo's last console, transitioning them either into handholds-only or third-party developer like Sega.

The other possibility is that they really learn from their mistakes and gamble on a console that's totally different next-generation-- something radically different, as different as the Wii was for its time. Something very non-Nintendo-like, but which caters to a particular, large niche very well. Maybe teaming up with Steam for that legendary Steambox or something.

Just thinking aloud here.

To OP's original question:

They came out with a version that ditched the controller with the screen, threw in a pro controller, and priced it accordingly?
Personally nope, because the library's still not there for me. X is a good start when it eventually gets released, but that's the only Wii U game I'd be interested in so far. They'd need at least a few more exclusives like that before I'd buy a new console.

I don't know how anyone thinks this will be their last console, even if it turns into a flop. They are hardly in a bad position. They can have several flops and still be pretty damn solvent. They literally have ONE year of operating at loss and that was last year. Even in the dark days of N64 and Gamecube they still made plenty of money. I'm not saying the Wii U will make any kind of big comeback, but even it remains a flop, it's not like Sega where they were hemorrhaging money. They can just as easily come back in the next round. Hell a lot of analysts are saying this isn't just because Nintendo had a shitty post-launch (launch itself was fine), many are predicting the PS4 & Xbox One won't do nearly as well because these days you have far more people just playing on cell phones and Ipads/Tablets when those weren't really a thing 7/8 years ago.

They came out with a version that ditched the controller with the screen, threw in a pro controller, and priced it accordingly?
No, that's the whole point of the Wii U. It's like saying would you buy a truck if they ditched the bed and gave you a trunk. Give me a price drop and a new Zelda game, and I'll pick one up.

Short answer: I would buy a Wii U if I could afford it. This year I've basically been living on trades for my gaming fix.

Long answer:

I still think the Wii U will be Nintendo's last console, transitioning them either into handholds-only or third-party developer like Sega.

The other possibility is that they really learn from their mistakes and gamble on a console that's totally different next-generation-- something radically different, as different as the Wii was for its time.
But they did and have constantly developed new technology for gaming: Handheld connectivity (SNES and to a greater extent Gamecube), Memory cards (N64), Rumble pack/Dual shock (N64), Motion control (Wii) and now the first touch screen for Wii U. I'm not saying Nintendo did it better or worse than the other companies, but they were the first to use it.

Nintendo focused on gaming without catering to adding a CD/DVD/BluRay and I personally like that; I have yet to hear anything about any defects on a Nintendo system like Xbox's red ring or Playstation's yellow light. Do you guys think adding a player would greatly affect their sales? (This is an honest question, not trying to sound like I have an attitude).

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I think Nintendo should push the Deluxe Edition at $299 and not invest in any other bundles for the time being. Looking at the listing on Amazon, I noticed a review that says you get a 10% discount for buying a digital game until 2014. So out of the box you can try a physical game in Nintendo Land and a digital game of your choosing at 10% off? It's the best of both worlds.

Like the PS3, I feel Nintendo released this system too early with a lack of games to display its talent and a high price tag (at least it wasn't $600 like Playstation 3). Now that touch screen is becoming a more common technology and their library is starting to grow, this is the time for Nintendo to sell the hell out of Wii U.

Nintendo focused on gaming without catering to adding a CD/DVD/BluRay and I personally like that; I have yet to hear anything about any defects on a Nintendo system like Xbox's red ring or Playstation's yellow light. Do you guys think adding a player would greatly affect their sales? (This is an honest question, not trying to sound like I have an attitude).
IMO the addition of a blu-ray or dvd player would not make that much of a difference sales wise. The problem is that Nintendo does not excel in this area. So why do something half-ass. Especially when your primary customer base does not seem to care for it. Also, the Wii U was not designed to be an entertainment center. They would have to do a bit of redesigning. That said, the Wii could play DVDs (if moded) and actually it was an okay media center.

I don't think it will be their last console but with the direction they've moved in I think the console\handheld hybrid might be a better solution. They don't care about having the strongest hardware or the most realistic graphics which is fine. So technically speaking were at the point where this could work and they could pool their resources.

There was an article speaking about how Nintendo is having a hard time with the transition to HD. Did they not learn anything from those that went before them? I've always liked Nintendo and given them praise for doing their thing but...It's not cool the way they've crammed their head into the "Nintendo" bubble and ignored everything that has gone on around them. In the past they were a smart profitable company but the Wii U just looks like a blunder. A tablet controller looks like they went and chased the fad or boom of tablets. Maybe a great idea in theory but it's not really getting them anywhere.

I loved the gamecube because it was a little monster with quick load times. There is no reason the Wii U should be slow in that regard. I know people dis-like the Vita but when you turn that system on it feels responsive. It's not like the 3DS where I have to wait for my SD card to read all the games on it before they display on the screen and I can boot into anything. Yeah I'm being nitpicky but it's all about user experience. I feel Nintendo was better at their game when they didn't have to have a menu system. The gamecube would just boot my game and I'd be off. They did ok with the menu on the Wii, it worked shouldn't the Wii U be a super revved up version of that?

A report today said they will open the eshop up on the web. This shouldn't be news...why? Because it should already exist. Good Job Nintendo welcome to 2008. Games should be tied to my account, not my console.

I complain but I've always liked them as a company, they just need to start pushing the envelope again.

But they did and have constantly developed new technology for gaming: Handheld connectivity (SNES and to a greater extent Gamecube), Memory cards (N64), Rumble pack/Dual shock (N64), Motion control (Wii) and now the first touch screen for Wii U. I'm not saying Nintendo did it better or worse than the other companies, but they were the first to use it.
The last half of my paragraph was important there. ;) I meant something that is unique, something that is unusual for Nintendo, and something that caters directly to a large niche.

No... never. Very little third party support and the lack of viable online system. Nintendo has always marched to the beat of a different drummer, but at this point they've only succeeded in ostracizing themselves. And with the next gen systems right around the corner they're going to be left even further behind.

My Wii was a complete waste of money and buying this would be the same, regardless of the controller or the price.

Considering I never bought a Wii, even for $100, it's safe to say no. I'm done with Nintendo consoles and hope they wise up soon going developer only. I want to play their games again, but I'm not buying an entire console to do it.
Would love to see this happen, but Nintendo has always squashed that suggestion any time its brought up. They're too proud to admit defeat and seemingly too arrogant to incorporate and adopt what MS and Sony have done that have been successful.

I didn't get a GameCube until Melee came out. I didn't get a Wii until Brawl came out. I won't be getting a WiiU until the new Smash Bros. comes out.

I will get one eventually anyway since 85% of the games I play are either made by Nintendo or exclusive to their consoles.

Would love to see this happen, but Nintendo has always squashed that suggestion any time its brought up. They're too proud to admit defeat and seemingly too arrogant to incorporate and adopt what MS and Sony have done that have been successful.
It's more that they've just found ways to make profits still. The Wii was a fluke where they sold hardware at a profit from day 1 and led in worldwide sales. But even with the N64 and GC they made money from 2nd/3rd place as they made money on hardware and all their first party stuff sales gangbusters both because people love it and there wasn't a whole lot of third party AAA competition (especially on the GC and Wii).

Wii U is different as they are selling it at a small loss per unit due to the cost of the tablet controller, and sales are lagging behind the GC at the same point in it's life. But they have plenty of cash reserves to weather a flop. Especially since the 3DS is now doing very well and helping mitigate Wii U losses. So they can shrug it off and try to do better next time (assuming the Wii U never turns it around).

Now if they fail again with their next attempt, then things could change and they may be more likely to go third party (or more likely to partner with Sony and go 2nd party).

Now if they fail again with their next attempt, then things could change and they may be more likely to go third party (or more likely to partner with Sony and go 2nd party).
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point; this will never happen in our lifetime. Maybe someday down the road, if the company keeps throwing money away and they're able to swallow that pride... but we're talking a lot of money and a lot of pride.

Something I forgot about: Memory. If the console had more than 32GB's internally, I would be more willing to buy a Wii U. Why is the storage space so small?

Something I forgot about: Memory. If the console had more than 32GB's internally, I would be more willing to buy a Wii U. Why is the storage space so small?
While it would be nice to have a larger internal memory, I assume they did it that way to bring down the price and the size of the console. At least it supports non-proprietary external hard drives though.

Limited Edition Wii U bundle:

$299

Samus orange - Wii U console w/240 GB HDD

Samus orange - Pro controller

Samus orange - GamePad

Metroid Ultra HD - game

HDMI cable

sold.  let me know when i can pick-up in-store.

bread's done
Back