Would you have bought the Wii at launch if Zelda wasn't there?

Spades22

CAGiversary!
If Zelda hadn't been released at launch and was just a GC title like originally planned, do you think you would have actually still bought a Wii? I think Zelda gave Nintendo an awful lot of sales initially... and I'm not talking about anything like "Heck ya Wii sports is soo worth 250$$". I'm talking about whether the reason you bought a Wii was for Zelda. See you wouldnt have found that out about Wii sports if that is the case if Zelda hadn't pushed you to buy a Wii.

So ya, just curious. I think the launch would have at least appeared to be horrendous had Zelda not come to the Wii. It was a HUGE decision for Nintendo...

I didnt buy Zelda. The only Wii game I own is Trauma Center. I'm happy with that purchase and I'm back to clearing backlog and working on portable games until some prices drop.

Absolutely not. I haven't bought any other games and I won't be for a few months easily. I'm sure it will be just like the DS and starting *next* Christmas things will pick up but until then I'm just gonna read books.

Nope. It's the only game I have. I'm surprised no one has gotten on Nintendo's ass for their pretty weak launch line-up...And the subsequent drought until Super Smash Bros.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Nope. It's the only game I have. I'm surprised no one has gotten on Nintendo's ass for their pretty weak launch line-up...And the subsequent drought until Super Smash Bros.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying all of 2007 will be a drought? Because SSB isn't even dated yet and I wouldn't count on it coming out till 2008 (or VERY late 2007 at best).

But to answer the OP, absolutely. Rayman was a fun title (wouldn't normally be worth $50, but OK to get started), and Elebits is VERY good. I've only put 8 hours in Zelda (I got the Wii at launch but had to wait for component cables before playing Zelda). But our Zelda playing got sidetracked by Elebits and now Excite Truck (which I'm renting - trying to beat everything on that before returning it).

Oh yeah, and Wii Sports will get low-level continuous play out of our family for some time to come. In fact, we have some friends coming over tomorrow that want to see the Wii in action. They bought one to resell but are considering giving it to their 7 year-old for Christmas - so our job is to "sell them" on that. We won't even show them Zelda - we'll start with the Channels (Mii, Forecast, Shop), then go to Wii Sports, and probably end with Elebits.

[quote name='io']Are you saying all of 2007 will be a drought? Because SSB isn't even dated yet and I wouldn't count on it coming out till 2008 (or VERY late 2007 at best).[/QUOTE]

No, not at all. I thought SSB had a tentative date of Summer 07? There's also Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy to look forwards to. But, I was simply stating that the launch was pretty weak, and there really isn't much to play in the coming months besides say Warioware in January and WiiPlay now delayed to February. Alot of the games, for me at least, I can sum up with this statement: "Oh, it's a pretty fun game......but I wouldn't pay $50 to get it."

[quote name='A Happy Panda']No, not at all. I thought SSB had a tentative date of Summer 07? There's also Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy to look forwards to. But, I was simply stating that the launch was pretty weak, and there really isn't much to play in the coming months besides say Warioware in January and WiiPlay now delayed to February. Alot of the games, for me at least, I can sum up with this statement: "Oh, it's a pretty fun game......but I wouldn't pay $50 to get it."[/QUOTE]

Well, that's true enough. I would say Zelda is a $50 game. I would put Elebits as a good $40 game. Rayman and Excite Truck - $20. Monkey Ball - $10. The rest I haven't played. But I am a pretty cheap-ass CAG and generally like my games $5 or so, so that's high praise coming from me ;).

As for the releases - SSB might be a tentative summer release, but I seriously doubt it. They said Mario was an early 2007 release originally, then they said "March to December", which in Reggie-speak means DECEMBER. Metroid was supposed to be March, but there are rumors that has been pushed off till the Fall. And SSB was never as 'certain' as those two were, which is why I'm guessing 2008.

I'm looking forward to WarioWare, Wii Play, and Mario Party 8 all in the next few months. That's enough for me with the huge backlog I have and, along with the games I already have, more than justifies my launch purchase of the Wii. I look forward to getting a few more titles when they get cheaper (like Madden, Super Swing Golf, maybe Red Steel). And I'm hoping some more 3rd party titles will surprise me like Rayman did in the mean time while waiting for Metroid/Mario/SSB/AC.

I don't currently have a Wii (due to the shortages), but I probably wouldn't have been considering getting one until Summer/Fall 2007 if Zelda wasn't there. As much as I like the Wii, I have enough unplayed games for my other consoles, so I can't really justify adding more random titles to my backlog. LoZ:TP was the one game I was waiting for, and I was interested in trying it out using the Wii controls (the earlier release date was nice, but didn't really affect my decision).

Since I sold my Gamecube in anticipation, I'll probably end up getting a Wii anyway, as soon as supply meets demand.

I would have regardless of Zelda. Zelda is still my only game other than Wiisports, but I would have easily gotten Trauma Center, Rayman, or Madden at launch.

Yes. While I think TP may be among the best games I've ever played, I've never been a Zelda-nut, so technically it wasn't a system-seller for me. This was more of a concept buy for me. That, and I'm one of the apparently few people who actually buys and enjoys third-party games on Nintendo systems.

I would have, mainly due to Trauma Center and the virtual console. I never had a TG-16, so am looking forward to those games. Plus I jumped on the 32X and Saturn bandwagons back in the day and so missed a lot of 1994/1995 SNES classics like Super Mario RPG. I also hold out hope for a small 2D revival with the Wii.

[quote name='botticus']Yes. While I think TP may be among the best games I've ever played, I've never been a Zelda-nut, so technically it wasn't a system-seller for me. This was more of a concept buy for me. That, and I'm one of the apparently few people who actually buys and enjoys third-party games on Nintendo systems.[/quote]I'm the same. Never a huge Zelda nut, but was very excited for the Wii. Now, TP ranks high on my favorite game list. ;)

I know a lot of people have issues with it, but the Virtual Console was one of the selling points for me. I'm having a ton of fun playing Mario 64 (something I never really did), and playing a few GC games I have backlogged in 480p. :)

Zelda was certainly incentive, but I was excited enough about the potential of the Wii that I probably would've been on board anyway. And without Zelda, Nintendo would've had something better in the pipeline than we have now.

To be honest I only bought Zelda because I felt I had to. I picked up the Wii at launch just because it's so different - and WiiSports was a HUGE reason for that.

I also loved the idea of the VC. I never had a N64 and I grew up in Australia so there are loads of games that never got released there - including all of the TG-16 stuff.

Having said that I love Zelda - it's the first one I've played since LTTP and I can't get enough of it.

I would have bought my Wii with or without Zelda being a launch title. I just considered it a nice bonus that it was a launch title. I hate to say it but because of school work I've really put the most time into Wii Sports due to a quick setup time to play. After today however it's Zelda time for me.

Nope, as much as I like Wii Sports, Madden, and Excite Truck (the 3 games I own) I wouldn't have even considered the system without Zelda. Those crafty bastards at Nintendo really suckered me this time.

If Zelda hadn't been there at launch, something else would have been that would have gotten me in on the system.

But that doesn't really matter because Wii Sports is enough to justify a purchase as far as I'm concerned.

I probably would have bought it anyway but it would have been a tougher sell. I only have Zelda and Wii Sports though and I've been obsessed with Zelda since launch (34 hours in and in dungeon 5) so I don't know what else I'd be playing at the moment... maybe I would buy Elebits, I don't know. I've bought every Nintendo console at launch except for the NES which I bought the following summer when I saved enough money for it and I have yet to be disappointed.

never would've bought the wii without the zelda...but when i bought it, i put in more man hours playing wii sports rather then zelda

however, i started working on zelda yesterday night, and put it down for the night after 2 hours. got into bed cuz i need to wake up early for work, and couldn't go to sleep so played an additional hour hahaha. it is a great.game.

Definitely not. I love the whole Wii concept but Zelda at launch sold me on getting one at launch. I also love Wii Sports and Monkey Ball is fun but Zelda sold me the Wii. Otherwise, I would have waited until Mario/Metroid/SSB.

I would have bought a PS3 instead. And if Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 really are delayed until 2008, I'll probably be selling the Wii.

I would have waited for Zelda or Mario Galaxy (or a Godzilla Game.)

We didn't buy our N64 until Zelda was released for it (and my daughter begged for Pokemon Snap.)

I held out for the Gamecube until Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee came out.

Is it possible to include a poll once the thread is already made?

Oh and Elebits shouldn't really count in whether or not you bought it at launch, since the game wasn't released at launch!

But ya I'd say theres around 30% of you who wouldn't have got Wii at launch if Zelda wasn't there (just a rough guess)

I still would have bought it. I really enjoyed the Gamecube. I bought 3rd party games on it too. They do exist. Really I swear!

I think I just agree with Nintendo's take on things...quality hardware that has a solid warranty, very minimal load times, cheaper pricing on games and hardware, and the less is more ideology.

I was also interested in how the motion controls would work. Wii Sports was a complete suprise for me. I would be waiting for Zelda and Mario but I still would have grabbed one.

The controls are what sold me. Having Zelda as a launch title was a killer app for me with the purchase.

1. VC
2. Motion Controls
3. Zelda at launch

Depends on what Nintendo would have had released instead of Zelda. They wouldn't have launched the Wii without a big name title. What if it was Metroid Prime 3 or hell, even Super Mario Galaxy?

Absolutely, my wife and I both wanted it and based on how much fun we've had with the DS it was a no brainer.

Definitely would have still bought it. I think Zelda is currently our least played game, but I use the Wii as more of a party/multiplayer system.

I've spent the most time with Zelda, but yes, I would have bought one anyway. Not only do I want to support this system, but the fact that some of my friends that don't play games will ask me to let them play is worth $250 on its own.

Absolutely not...I'm still not sure I made the right decision...especially since I still want to get the GC version of Zelda.

Absolutely.

I don't even have Zelda yet (don't freak, I'm expecting it for Christmas). But the game I was most excited for was Wii Sports, plus I thought my wife would like it. Lived up to every expectation. The pleasant surprise was how friggin' fun Excite Truck turned out to be.

I actually don't think I would have bought a Wii at launch, Zelda or no Zelda, if it wasn't for the Amazon pre-order I got back in Sept. There was no way in hell I was going to wait in line and/or go hunting everyday for a Wii. But now that I do have it and decided to keep it, I am very happy with my purchase and can't believe I didn't know more about the Wii leading upto it's launch than I did. So, while Zelda is my most played game to this point on the Wii I still didn't buy the system for it.

Nope. And even with Zelda I wouldn't have picked one up if I hadn't been able to scrounge up $320 of store credit and cash from trading stuff and selling some games online.

None of the other games out now interest me in the least. I wouldn't pay $10 for any of them, much less $50.

I love the potential of the system, but its really better for everyone but hardcore nintendo fans to wait until there's more AAA games out.

I'd probably have waited for a price drop and Zelda, Mario and Metroid to all be available before purchasing.

bread's done
Back