WoW Pre-Paid cards - advice needed

garvin30

CAGiversary!
Hi, I just bought 7 WoW timecards for $120, $90 after live CD.:D The shipping was suppose to be free, but now he wants extra to ship to me. He's offering to scratch the cards himself and email me the codes (I guess that's what he meant by free shipping). Is there any reason why I shouldn't do it this way? I mean as long as I can use them first there's nothing he can do with those codes right? He couldn't call up blizzard and say I stole those cards from him or something and prove they're his by providing the codes for them? Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I'm weary since this was a great deal.

Thanks

Um other than use them and they'd be useless. Where did you buy them? If you bought them on Ebay you'd be screwed if you let him send you the codes by email.

[quote name='garvin30']Yeah off eBay.[/quote]

If you do email delivery and he rips you off, you are fucked. I would HIGHLY advise not doing that. If the codes are used when they are mailed to you, then you can at least attempt to file a claim.

Also, if you bought them through ebay. He can't make you pay more. The auction had a price you both agreed on when it ended. If he tries to press you for more, I'd just tell him that you'd like to amicably end the auction and not go through with it.

Sounds fishy and its BS. I hate those kind of Ebayers.

If he e-mails you the codes and they don't work, if you file a Paypal claim you will automatically win. Because he didn't mail anything and has no tracking/DC, he can't fight the chargeback.

They were 60 day cards. Thanks for your feedback guys. I asked for him to mail them to me. I'll see what he says. I mean how much does it cost to mail 7 cards? A dollar?

His shipping cost will probably be about $2-$3 since he'll have to put them in a padded envelope and add DC.

You can't add DC to a regular First Class envelope.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']If he e-mails you the codes and they don't work, if you file a Paypal claim you will automatically win. Because he didn't mail anything and has no tracking/DC, he can't fight the chargeback.[/quote]

You are wrong.

13.7 What items are not covered by PayPal’s Protection for buyers?
PayPal's protection for buyers only applies to payments for tangible, physical goods that can be shipped. Payments for intangibles, services, custom made items, airline flight tickets, eBay classified advertisements, items prohibited under our Acceptable Use Policy or licenses and other access to digital content are not eligible under PayPal’s protections for buyers.

If he receives them through email, he'd be out of luck. Otherwise he'd have to lie and commit fraud.

Basicly he isn't allowed to only email you the codes, he has to ship the cards. And he can't back out of the free shipping if that's how it was listed. Don't cave in and pay him for shipping.

[quote name='qwerty1']he wont pay the postage of what, 50 cents? :roll:[/quote]

My thought exactly, tell him to just stick them in an envelope and slap 2 stamps on it.

OP if you read the description it clearly says:

I choose to send you and email with the numbers on the cards to ensure the fastest shipping but if you prefer I will ship them at an extra charge

Tell him to send the physical cards to you. Technically you're not allowed to sell codes on ebay, so if he tries to screw you over at least you can file a dispute through ebay. If you go with the email route you might end up having to escalate the dispute to a claim through Paypal instead, which leads back to what mike.m was referring to.

see this is the case where people don't read the freaking auction...

OP, pay the guy for cheap ass sakes, you're getting an awesome deal and you're bitching about less than 1% of the cost...

It even states in the auction...

I choose to send you and email with the numbers on the cards to ensure the fastest shipping but if you prefer I will ship them at an extra charge

[quote name='xycury']see this is the case where people don't read the freaking auction...

OP, pay the guy for cheap ass sakes, you're getting an awesome deal and you're bitching about less than 1% of the cost...

It even states in the auction...

I choose to send you and email with the numbers on the cards to ensure the fastest shipping but if you prefer I will ship them at an extra charge[/quote]

1. He doesn't say how much that shipping will be.

2. That's against eBay policy to charge more after the auction ended.

3. While yes he did sat that, it also says in the auction header Free Priority shipping. So he had to choose Priority as his shipping method.

4. I am more than willing to pay for the shipping, i just wanted to know what others (who perhaps had more experience in this area) opinion was. That's all.

Thanks

[quote name='mike.m']You are wrong.

13.7 What items are not covered by PayPal’s Protection for buyers?
PayPal's protection for buyers only applies to payments for tangible, physical goods that can be shipped. Payments for intangibles, services, custom made items, airline flight tickets, eBay classified advertisements, items prohibited under our Acceptable Use Policy or licenses and other access to digital content are not eligible under PayPal’s protections for buyers.

If he receives them through email, he'd be out of luck. Otherwise he'd have to lie and commit fraud.[/quote]

Hi, but the auction was for a tangible good. It was for the pre-paid game cards. And shipping was by Priority mail. If he doesn't ship them to me, why wouldn't I be covered?

Thanks.

[quote name='garvin30']Hi, but the auction was for a tangible good. It was for the pre-paid game cards. And shipping was by Priority mail. If he doesn't ship them to me, why wouldn't I be covered?

Thanks.[/quote]

You are covered. That's my point. The guy I quoted told you to just have the codes emailed to you and file a claim if their bogus. You can't do that. Paypal doesn't cover that.

bread's done
Back