WPA Personal Protection and Windows XP Connectivity

saturninus

CAGiversary!
I'm having a hard time trying to get my mother's laptop to connect to the Internet.

I've set up the [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot]router[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] to run WPA protection using an AES algorithm. I have my Windows Vista PC set up to handle this encryption.

My mother's XP laptop automatically configures itself and asks for the password. I supply it, yet the only Internet application that will work is the MSN messenger. The web and other applications will not work. Manually configuring the router does not seem to help either.

Any help would be appreciated. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe something I overlooked?

I could probably get her computer to connect if I disable all wireless encryption but I don't want to do that.

If it works for MSN then you've successfully connected to the network. Is it her works laptop? If it is they might have some specific proxy settings set in IE. Check this by going to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings and see if there's a proxy address entered.

bread's done
Back