Wrong number called me, but the person they were expecting is a friend- privacy?

evophile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hi all, thought I'd try to see what CAGs general thoughts on this were as it kind of weird-ed me out:

This morning (it woke me up) I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize. They proceeded to ask for "John". I said wrong number, then the person got a little agitated and said "John Johnson? This isn't John Johnson?" --this weird-ed me out because this is the name of a close friend.

I said "No, this isn't him". Caller said "this is the number he gave to reach him. It's important I reach him, are you related to him?" I said no, I'm not and asked who this was - unfortunately my phone broke up slightly, or the caller muffled it on purpose but I couldn't hear what was said. And the caller wouldn't repeat it plus I was half asleep still. Then I ended the call.

I called my friend in question and asked and he said he didn't give my number out (I believe him) and he didn't recognize the number that called me.

Anyone heard of something like this? Is there some privacy or identity issue going on I should be worried about? I have had random shady numbers call me, but this one was weird because they weren't expecting me and how would they even know the connection between me and my friend?

Anyways, thanks for reading CAG, take care

i dont understand why you just didnt say "no but he's a close friend of mine, I can take a message and have him call you back as soon as I get the chance if you'd like"

all problems solved. you kind of lied when you denied being related to him. poor guy is probably super confused now.

my guess is your friend may have or has been giving your number out to people instead of using his own. its one thing to get a wrong number call but one asking for someone in particular? if your friend is into shady shit be careful because the last thing you want is to get caught up in something you have nothing to do with. also was it your house phone or cell phone you were called on? i ask because it wouldnt be too hard for someone to do a search on your home number and find where you live.

if the guy who called is really needing to see yoru friend chances are they could do that and just show up someday. not trying to freak you out or anything just be careful you never know what kind of shit people are into until it blows up in your face.

Best Case:
It was a different John Johnson he was looking for.

Worst Case:
John Johnson is a closet homosexual who was just about to end his relationship with Anon Caller, so he gave him your number after telling Anon Caller he got a new phone (a lie) hoping to wipe him off on you after he ended it and most likely trying to turn you over to the pink side in the process.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i dont understand why you just didnt say "no but he's a close friend of mine, I can take a message and have him call you back as soon as I get the chance if you'd like"

all problems solved. you kind of lied when you denied being related to him. poor guy is probably super confused now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah honestly, you are totally correct. I was woken up from a super deep sleep that I was only 2 hours into. I was not all there, I realized I should have said that a little while ago.

And also, what kind of put me off/worried me was the fact that the guy was needlessly aggressive and got noticeably agitated in his speaking voice the second he realized he had the wrong number, and I didn't even say much else at that point.

[quote name='lokizz']
if the guy who called is really needing to see yoru friend chances are they could do that and just show up someday. not trying to freak you out or anything just be careful you never know what kind of shit people are into until it blows up in your face.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is an extreme example of my worry, but my friend is a close friend a pretty normal guy who just has an office job and never really gets up to shady biz.
It was also my cell that was called, I don't have an actual home phone. And neither does my friend.

[quote name='Oaxan']Best Case:
It was a different John Johnson he was looking for.

Worst Case:
John Johnson is a closet homosexual who was just about to end his relationship with Anon Caller, so he gave him your number after telling Anon Caller he got a new phone (a lie) hoping to wipe him off on you after he ended it and most likely trying to turn you over to the pink side in the process.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Well "John Johnson" isn't the actual name, I changed it...my friend's actual name is a little to specific for it to just be coincidence unfortunately.

I just tell everyone that calls me that I don't know to fuck off. I couldn't care the least if it's important or not. I still get these stupid debt collectors that call me looking for an Orlando Jones at least once a day. I've told them to f off numerous times but they keep calling....

[quote name='dodgeme']I just tell everyone that calls me that I don't know to fuck off. I couldn't care the least if it's important or not. I still get these stupid debt collectors that call me looking for an Orlando Jones at least once a day. I've told them to f off numerous times but they keep calling....[/QUOTE]

I just rickroll everybody I don't know who calls.
because nothing says "fuck you" like Rick Astly as your answering machine message.

[quote name='antlp89']You wouldn't happen to know a James Jamison or a Harry Harrison?[/QUOTE]

Or a Harry Johnson? :booty:

[quote name='antlp89']You wouldn't happen to know a James Jamison or a Harry Harrison?[/QUOTE]
but those are my names... :shock:

And let's not forget Carl Carlson and Lenny Leonard.

Simple idea... don't recognize the number...let it go to voice mail...screen it and if is someone you know, then call them back , if not forget about it.

[quote name='dodgeme']I just tell everyone that calls me that I don't know to fuck off. I couldn't care the least if it's important or not. I still get these stupid debt collectors that call me looking for an Orlando Jones at least once a day. I've told them to f off numerous times but they keep calling....[/QUOTE]
This. Definitely sounds like a bill collector. And don't say, "no but he's a close friend of mine" because then they'll harass you as well. Let it go.

Try an air horn.

I get calls for a Paul Player all the time. Apparently this guy owes a lot of people money and he has some medical results that need to be looked at immediately

[quote name='ITDEFX']Simple idea... don't recognize the number...let it go to voice mail...screen it and if is someone you know, then call them back , if not forget about it.[/QUOTE]

This.

Life's problems solved.

Did you try Googling the number to see if you get any results? I do that with numbers I don't recognize, usually gives me an idea of whether or not its a scam or something.

Also: have John John call that number back and ask what the fuck they want. Do it from a private or blocked number so they can't snag it off the caller ID.

"John Johnson" is a pretty generic name, to be quite honest. I think the person was fucking with you and / or trying to take you to the cleaners.

I'd just forget about it. It's obviously a bogus call.

They keep calling you because you're being rude to them. There's no one watching these folks making sure they aren't setting you to be called back when you tell them to fuck off, or impolitely tell them to "take me off the list", so if you piss them off they'll just set you up for another call. Try being nice, and eventually they might stop.

[quote name='kodave']This.

Life's problems solved.[/QUOTE]

Until it happens to be your insurance company calling to say they're cancelling your policy for something that could have been cleared up with a simple phone call, and they can't leave a message because your mailbox is so full from all the screened calls. Be an adult and pick up the damn phone.

Either way, it DEFINITELY sounds like a collector.
There are some very unscrupulous companies and people out there that will stop at NOTHING (not even concerned about breaking the law) to get ANY kind of information on anyone.
Some, when they are trying to contact someone, will do a background check and then contact previous employers, anyone you have EVER used as a reference or a backup contact on ANYTHING, and even other family members or anybody you have associated with (including calling neighbors that you don't even know their name-when they do backgrounds, it gives your previous known addresses and then they do a cross-reference of the neighboring addresses and corrisponding phone numbers).
Then they do backgrounds on them and do the same thing to them in order to hound everyone you have ever come across (and even ones you haven't) at any time in your life to hound, intimidate, and pump them for any and all information they can get. Some will completely skirt around the issue of who they are or where they are from or tell you they are with *mumble mumble*, while others may even make up an elaborate story about a loved one being hurt or something just to try to get you to give them more information.

Of course this is an extreme situation, but it does happen. I wish I could remember the name of the company, but I have heard of this happenening. The collector and collection company were sued and eventually lost, so they just "put a new name on the door" and they are still going about their business.

Or, it could just be an honest to goodness wrong number.
Hard to tell anymore.

[quote name='Cameron4All']Either way, it DEFINITELY sounds like a collector.
There are some very unscrupulous companies and people out there that will stop at NOTHING (not even concerned about breaking the law) to get ANY kind of information on anyone.
Some, when they are trying to contact someone, will do a background check and then contact previous employers, anyone you have EVER used as a reference or a backup contact on ANYTHING, and even other family members or anybody you have associated with (including calling neighbors that you don't even know their name-when they do backgrounds, it gives your previous known addresses and then they do a cross-reference of the neighboring addresses and corrisponding phone numbers).
Then they do backgrounds on them and do the same thing to them in order to hound everyone you have ever come across (and even ones you haven't) at any time in your life to hound, intimidate, and pump them for any and all information they can get. Some will completely skirt around the issue of who they are or where they are from or tell you they are with *mumble mumble*, while others may even make up an elaborate story about a loved one being hurt or something just to try to get you to give them more information.

Of course this is an extreme situation, but it does happen. I wish I could remember the name of the company, but I have heard of this happenening. The collector and collection company were sued and eventually lost, so they just "put a new name on the door" and they are still going about their business.

Or, it could just be an honest to goodness wrong number.
Hard to tell anymore.[/QUOTE]

This. Sounds like a collector. Whether your friend actually owes anything is another story.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']They keep calling you because you're being rude to them. There's no one watching these folks making sure they aren't setting you to be called back when you tell them to fuck off, or impolitely tell them to "take me off the list", so if you piss them off they'll just set you up for another call. Try being nice, and eventually they might stop.
[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact the guy that works is the cube next to me got a telemarketer call on his mobile about 2 weeks ago and he asked them to take him off their list. He was very nice, polite, and never even once seemed aggitated
The marketer said he would be glad to, but he would have to call another department to request that. He then gave my coworker the number.

That number turned out to be "The Rejection Hotline" of NCal.
I would post the number, but that would be endorsing it. (but one simple search and it is very easy to find) Also, when he tried to call the original number back from his caller ID, it was not working.

Point of this is that some people / businesses are just a bunch of big-ole pimply a-holes, regardless.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']Until it happens to be your insurance company calling to say they're cancelling your policy for something that could have been cleared up with a simple phone call, and they can't leave a message because your mailbox is so full from all the screened calls. Be an adult and pick up the damn phone.[/QUOTE]

Well you're pretty much an idiot if you're intentionally screening and your voice mail box is full because you haven't checked it in weeks or because you haven't bothered to delete old voice mails.

I think the idea is if you're deliberately screening the call from an unfamiliar number and sending it to voice mail, you then check the voice mail soon thereafter, then delete it if its unimportant and make the call back soon if it was important.

Plus the idea is based on screening calls from unfamiliar numbers and how many of those do people really get versus from people they do know? And I'm talking personal use. If you're using your phone number for personal and business reasons then you're going to need to pick up the phone.

And if you're screening people you do know, then you just have to be vigilant about checking the messages. But anyone screening calls probably checks their voice mail fairly often. If you just didn't want to talk to anyone ever you'd just turn off your phone and not give a fuck, which is far different from intentional screening.

So I really don't see your scenario as likely for someone who intentionally screens unless the person is really an idiot.

I never pick up the phone unless I know the person or I am expecting a call. If the call is important, they will leave a message. This is the system I have used for the past 8 years and it has yet to fail me. In fact, I do get an occasional message in my voice mail from a wrong number that cracks me up. I wouldn't know this joy if I picked up the phone and let the person know I was someone different than they were expecting.

I had someone call me at like 1:45 in the morning the one night about 2-3 years ago. They woke me up out of a deep sleep and got pissy with ME when I wasn't the person they were looking for.

So the next night or a night after I took a little jaunt to a pay phone(a rarity nowadays:cry:) and I woke their asses up at 3:15 in the morning.:lol:

And no, I'm not lying on that. Someone wakes me up asking for Joe Blow at 1:45 in the morning, then gets snippy with me as if I'm lying about not being him will get a wake up call, possibly every night for the next week at random hours until I feel like I've had enough fun.;)

That's one of the best features of cell phones - you can turn them off.

I guess you can turn off the ringers of landline phones too - I know one of my friends does when he sleeps.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but have you considered that a mutual friend of both of yours mixed up your numbers? I know that I can go to my text message list and hit enter to get the phone number, so it would be very easy to accidentally click the wrong message or something and get the wrong number. So maybe something along those lines happened.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Simple idea... don't recognize the number...let it go to voice mail...screen it and if is someone you know, then call them back , if not forget about it.[/QUOTE]

does anyone not do this? Seriously, if you aren't in the caller ID on my cell phone as a name then I don't answer the phone.

[quote name='2DMention']That's one of the best features of cell phones - you can turn them off.

I guess you can turn off the ringers of landline phones too - I know one of my friends does when he sleeps.[/QUOTE]

Or you could, you know, unplug it...

[quote name='panzerfaust']i dont understand why you just didnt say "no but he's a close friend of mine, I can take a message and have him call you back as soon as I get the chance if you'd like"
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do that. No reason to let some random person know that you know who they're looking for. Especially if it ended up being a debt collector etc. as they may keep calling and bugging you trying to track down your friend.

your friend may owe money, some collection agencies call friends and family or the people to try and "shame" money out of the debtors...

these pricks have been calling my close friends asking for me, they are creating heat around my name so my friends and family start asking about these calls.... In Arizona there's an ongoing debate if this is legal or not, but looks like these pricks don't really care. STOP CALLING MY FRIENDS, I"M THE ONE WHO OWES MONEY!
source: callercenter.com

If it happens repeatedly, you can try contacting your local police to see what your options are... it could very well be considered harassment if you tell them to stop and they don't, especially if they aren't looking for you.

I got a couple calls the other day on my cell from an unavailable caller... the second one left a message. It was a recording from global tel link informing me than an inmate was calling this number, and to hit one to accept. I googled global tel link and apparently, they deal specifically in connecting phone calls for people in prison. I kinda hope I don't get any more of those. (I also hope it's not anyone I know trying to get bail or something.)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I got a couple calls the other day on my cell from an unavailable caller... the second one left a message. It was a recording from global tel link informing me than an inmate was calling this number, and to hit one to accept. I googled global tel link and apparently, they deal specifically in connecting phone calls for people in prison. I kinda hope I don't get any more of those. (I also hope it's not anyone I know trying to get bail or something.)[/QUOTE]
When I was 11 or 12, we got a call like that at our house.

It was kind of scary, but I thought it was funny that the prisoner's name was something cliched, like "Buford", or something like that.

bread's done
Back