WTB Sega Genesis systems

Capsuledragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hi people. I'm looking to buy Sega Genesis systems. I'm mostly looking for the Model 2 Genesis, but I'll buy model 1's as well.

I don't need controllers, or Av cables with the system. If you have an AC adaptor then I'd be interested in that, but no big deal if it's missing.

Now, I'm not looking for any old Genesis system, as some Genesis systems are good, and some are bad.

When it comes to the Model 2 Genesis I'm looking for systems that are revisions VA2, VA2.3, VA3, or VA4. They also must have a Sony video encoder.

Now to tell what video encoder is in your system you will need to take the system apart. It's extremely easy though. The 4 screws need to be unscrewed on the bottom. Then you need to unscrew the screws holding the shielding in place. That's all you need to do. The video encoder can be seen here:
8yudfl.png

The Sony encoder is either CXA1645, or CXA1145. The one in the picture is a bad encoder.

If you look in the corner of the image you will see VA3 printed. That's the revision. The revision will be printed somewhere around there on each Genesis system.

If you want to determine what revision your Sega Genesis 2 is without taking it apart, have a look at this page:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

If yo any help on determing your Genesis revision let me know!

[quote name='sdragon']Just curious... What's the deal with the video encoder?[/QUOTE]
The most common video encoder found in theses systems is the Samsung encoder. The Samsung encoder is a piece of shit. It produces graphics that are pixelated and can sometimes add vertical lines the picture.

The sony encoders are much better. Plus they have chroma and luma pins which means the system can be modified for s-video.

Free bump for having good taste in gaming! I'm currently using video chords for my Model 2 Genny, but I'm too scared to completely get rid of the AC adapter on the off chance I ever need it again.

How much are you looking to pay for these so I know if it's worth my trouble to dig some out and open them up... (Otherwise, they'll eventually end up on eBay bundled with some games.)

I've gotten a few pms already about this, but so far no good. I'm willing to pay $40 for a 3/4 motherboard with a Sony CXA1645. Shipping for a Genesis 2 from the US to Canada is $10 ground mail so there's a good amount of room for profit.

[quote name='lurknomore']So Model 1's have this encoder as well? You mentioned that you might buy a Model 1....[/QUOTE]
I'm after Model 2's mostly, but if no one has any model 2's then I'd go for a model 1.

Just out of curiosity, why go after model 2s if you're looking for the highest quality? It was my understanding that the early model 1s also had a superior sound chip, unless I'm mistaken.

And my extra model 2 appears to be a 1.8. Meh.

bread's done
Back