WTB: Xbox Samsung DVD-Drive (PLEASE HELP!)

Veggie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
!Please Throw me a free bump!

Something is wrong with my current samsung dvd drive. It always has trouble loading up games. EVEN AFTER I REPLACED THE LASER LENS AND MOTOR!!!!

If someone has an extra Samsung DVD drive they can give me, please Check my list for games to trade for it, and I may be able to add money to the deal.

THANKS!

Uh oh.. sounds like someone got the second gen Samsung drive that MS ordered to reduce costs even more. The first Samsung drives ruled so much but the second gen are no better than the Philips drive.:whistle2:(

Good luck finding a good Samsung drive now... free bump.

Well, I bought the Xbox in 2003, thats is when it was made ( I saw 2003 somewhere inside the box)

It's played Burned disks for a while now, but I dunno whats going on.

Thx

[quote name='Veggie']Well, I bought the Xbox in 2003, thats is when it was made ( I saw 2003 somewhere inside the box)

It's played Burned disks for a while now, but I dunno whats going on.

Thx[/QUOTE]

Burned disks.. tsk, tsk. No modding talk allowed here.

[quote name='Murcielago77']shouldnt you change the D in WTD in the title to a B?[/QUOTE]

Call me crazy, but I think "WTD" could be an abbreviation for "Wanted". I could be wrong though.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Burned disks.. tsk, tsk. No modding talk allowed here.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about modding? Maybe he's trying to watch dvd-r videos on his Xbox.

[quote name='norkusa']Who said anything about modding? Maybe he's trying to watch dvd-r videos on his Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Or play CD-Rs on his Xbox.

[quote name='Vinny']Uh oh.. sounds like someone got the second gen Samsung drive that MS ordered to reduce costs even more. The first Samsung drives ruled so much but the second gen are no better than the Philips drive.:whistle2:(

Good luck finding a good Samsung drive now... free bump.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about this. How can you tell the difference between the two(new * old) Samsung Drives?

[quote name='norkusa']Call me crazy, but I think "WTD" could be an abbreviation for "Wanted". I could be wrong though.

Who said anything about modding? Maybe he's trying to watch dvd-r videos on his Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Nothing on a burned CD/DVD works very well at all, nor does a regular xbox game or regular cd/dvd.

Also, yes WTD was a typo, i'll change that, but wanted it a very good thought for that.. lol.

[quote name='Murcielago77']shouldnt you change the D in WTD in the title to a B?[/QUOTE]

Yea, I probably should... and by the way. Your sig is probably the coolest thing I've ever saw. You should make me one =D

[quote name='Santurio']I didn't know about this. How can you tell the difference between the two(new * old) Samsung Drives?[/QUOTE]

Here is a site with the different dvd drives!

http://www.xbreporter.com/xboxdvddrivecomparison.php

[quote name='Santurio']I didn't know about this. How can you tell the difference between the two(new * old) Samsung Drives?[/QUOTE]

The thing is, you can't... not by physical appearence anyway. I've never seen any proof, this is all hear say as far as I know according to a forum post I rad a year or so ago at IGN.

The 1st gen (just my term for the old ones) drives were made in quality standards. This was supposed to be used in all Xboxes. But due to losses taken on each system sold, MS ordered drives from Philips (cheaper to produce than Samsung, somewhat common) and finally Thompson (cheapest to produce, most common) to reduce production cost of the Xbox.

A big batch of Samsung Xboxes were the last to ship so people who purchased Xboxes from 3-12 months after release where most likely to receive it. There were some shipped within the first three months and there are still some shipping of the 1st gen Samsung drives.

To avoid any trouble, MS agreed to continue using a new Samsung drive which was cheaper (2nd gen). This new model is the one that craps out. Most people didn't have trouble with the Samsung drives unless they had a later model Xbox with the Samsung drive.

Again, take this with a grain of salt as most of it was and still is unconfirmed.

[quote name='Santurio']Thanks for the response, but I knew about the different drives. I just didn't know they had more than one actual Samsung Drive as posted by Vinny. I figured all the Samsung drives were the same.[/QUOTE]

Oh, oops.. Sorry I misunderstood that lol.

[quote name='mykevermin']My Phillips crapped out this week after less than a year (after my 2.5 y/o Thomson died). I'm thinking of buying a Thomsons from www.llama.com[/QUOTE]
You can get them from this ebay seller for $27.99 shipped. And it has a 90 day warranty

I'm probably going to order a couple from him because that mod I posted before, you need to have great modding skills which I don't have.

[quote name='Veggie']If you made an extra, I would buy it from you, lol.[/QUOTE]
I dont have the soldering skills to make one. I just ordered a couple thomsons from ebay this morning. My samsung drive won't read any games or dvd. It can only read burned dvds and cds. And my brother needed one because I bought him a used xbox with a broken drive for $50.

Oh, so your just using the thompsons for reg xbox games? Not a modded box, right?

Well, INCASE you decide to get someone to solder it for you, let me know lol.

Why not just spend the $28 on a brand new Thomson? Just curious; IMO, the Samsungs are unnecessarily overhyped. How much does a drive cost on eBay compared to a brand new Thomson? $70 shipped?

They read CD-RW, but not CD-R.

I don't know about DVD-R or anything of that nature, but that's delving into the illegal, I suppose (unless you have a lot of home movies).

[quote name='DT778']there is only cd-rw[/QUOTE]

I forgot to thank you for that link. That's a fantastic deal! Philips (which some prefer) are only $51 shipped, but since mine died, I'll stick with the Thomson.

Veggie. I have a Samsung drive that I can sell you if you are interested in it. I would like to get your broken drive with it. Would sell it to you for 55 shipped plus your broken Sammy.

bread's done
Back