wtf... ebgames banned me?!

quartz

CAG Veteran
Feedback
5 (100%)
k, so today i went to one of the ebgames near my house to exchange a game that didnt work. The employee told me that they cant do business with me anymore because the district manager told them so since they said i have too many returns and stuff. He said the district manager even had a conference meeting about me. So, im asking is he telling the truth meaning is there such as thing that can ban someone from ebgames or is he just bsing cuz that store's manager doesnt like me very much.

ohhh ya they can ban you, we banned a couple of people from doing business with us because they would buy a game and they would return it 20 minuets later all scrtched up

Of course they could ban you, and refuse sale to you. On the matter of whether they should, that's a bit more subjective. But they have every right to do what they appear to have done.

[quote name='quartz']k, so today i went to one of the ebgames near my house to exchange a game that didnt work. The employee told me that they cant do business with me anymore because the district manager told them so since they said i have too many returns and stuff. He said the district manager even had a conference meeting about me. So, im asking is he telling the truth meaning is there such as thing that can ban someone from ebgames or is he just bsing cuz that store's manager doesnt like me very much.[/QUOTE]

You're a renter aren't you, just go to Blockbuster for God's sake.

Never heard of EBgames banning anyone before, but I guess it is plausible depending on the circumstances. I think the OP isn't telling us the full story of why he was banned. Obviously they must have given him a reason as to why they chose to do so.

[quote name='gaelan']how many returns have you had?[/QUOTE]

by returns i mean the $5 extra per 2 game deal. i traded in alot in that particular store.

It happens. We banned a person who traded in a demo of Fight Night with the word "demo" whited out. In my opinion, it was the employee's fault for not knowing, but he doesn't play games so...yeah. We also banned someone who came in numerous times threatening us and tried to walk out with sealed games once (also called security on the lad).

[quote name='quartz']if ur banned from a store, are u banned from all the other stores as well?[/QUOTE]

Since you said that the word was handed down from the district manager, I would guess that this is the case for you.

I worked in EBGames corporate for about 2.5 years. I can tell you that there is no way in hell corporate would ever want anyone banned from their stores. Company policy is to politely decline excessive returns or perceived abuses of special offerings but to always be kind to the customer and never label them an "abuser" or tell them they are "banned" from the store. Lone exception, former employees that were fired due to theft, acts of violence, etc. can be asked to never return.

If you contact corporate about the incident I can guarantee you they will rectify the issue.

[quote name='vietgurl']It happens. We banned a person who traded in a demo of Fight Night with the word "demo" whited out. In my opinion, it was the employee's fault for not knowing, but he doesn't play games so...yeah. We also banned someone who came in numerous times threatening us and tried to walk out with sealed games once (also called security on the lad).[/QUOTE]

An employee who is working at a video game store whom doesn't play video games?! Wow, that's like an oxymoron...

tell em to go screw themselves, and if they say your banned, ask if you can talk to their district manager, and then if he gives you problems talk to his boss, and so on...

I've seen some stores do this. One Gamestop manager said there was a ban of about 50 people at one busy location.

DM's will talk, expect them to talk to other managers. Your best bet is to law low for a while; avoid all EB's for a month or two. In two months they will have forgotten all about you.

Also if you think the ban is without a legit reason, call EB corporate at 1-800-800-5166.

[quote name='Theduck']Did they IP ban you?[/QUOTE]

I totally understand the legitimacy of this question, but still, :lol: .

[quote name='Ledhed']Of course they could ban you, and refuse sale to you. On the matter of whether they should, that's a bit more subjective. But they have every right to do what they appear to have done.[/QUOTE]

Nice avatar. Lately I've been nearly obsessed with everything Josh Homme touches, Kyuss, Desert Sessions, etc.

[quote name='Socheata']An employee who is working at a video game store whom doesn't play video games?! [/QUOTE]

What, dont tell me you are surprised....

[quote name='rallen']I've seen some stores do this. One Gamestop manager said there was a ban of about 50 people at one busy location.

DM's will talk, expect them to talk to other managers. Your best bet is to law low for a while; avoid all EB's for a month or two. In two months they will have forgotten all about you.

Also if you think the ban is without a legit reason, call EB corporate at 1-800-800-5166.[/QUOTE]

thx for the advice. do u know if i get someone else to do an exchange/return for me, will they know?

I used to rent from Gamestop all the time and they never banned me...probably because I knew some of the employees and they knew what I was doing :lol:

But going to Blockbuster is expensive...$7 is too much for me when I can get it for free :)

So, were you excessively returning items, or trading in items? I can see how returns would put you on a list, but not so much trade-ins (unless you have traded in 7 copies of Devil May Cry or something similar).

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, were you excessively returning items, or trading in items? I can see how returns would put you on a list, but not so much trade-ins (unless you have traded in 7 copies of Devil May Cry or something similar).

myke.[/QUOTE]

probably trading in items since i traded alot of jampacks when they worked for extra $5 deal. but i dont understand why they banned me now, instead of banning me a month back or so. since the deal ended about 2 or 3 month ago right?

[quote name='quartz']thx for the advice. do u know if i get someone else to do an exchange/return for me, will they know?[/QUOTE]

No way in hell, unless you have come with them inside the store.

As a kid I got banned from TRU for returning too many colecovision games (Back then you could return anything if you had the receipt) and I had my best freind go in all the time. I'd buy him lunch for the favor.

One time the manager called my parents (I was an idiot and put my real phone number on the reurn slip) and said, "Do you know your child has returned a number of games to us?" and the gig was up.

Soon after TRU said you had to be 16 to return anything ;(

[quote name='quartz']k, so today i went to one of the ebgames near my house to exchange a game that didnt work. The employee told me that they cant do business with me anymore because the district manager told them so since they said i have too many returns and stuff. He said the district manager even had a conference meeting about me. So, im asking is he telling the truth meaning is there such as thing that can ban someone from ebgames or is he just bsing cuz that store's manager doesnt like me very much.[/QUOTE]

Back in the 'PS1 DAYS' we had a guy come in every week to return a game and buy another one. This went on for about a year when our manager told him about a Blockbuster right down the road. He sort of let up after that... or else moved on to something else. I always figured the guy was copying the games.

[quote name='quartz']thx for the advice. do u know if i get someone else to do an exchange/return for me, will they know?[/QUOTE]
Going from that post, it sounds like what you're doing is either "renting" games or copying them. I gather that from the sudden disappearance of the word "trade" from the questions.

If what you're doing is blatantly obvious, there's a damn good chance that they'll either link the person back to you somehow, or just ban them too.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']Nice avatar. Lately I've been nearly obsessed with everything Josh Homme touches, Kyuss, Desert Sessions, etc.[/QUOTE]
if you liked kyuss try Unida, great stuff

[quote name='rallen']No way in hell, unless you have come with them inside the store.

As a kid I got banned from TRU for returning too many colecovision games (Back then you could return anything if you had the receipt) and I had my best freind go in all the time. I'd buy him lunch for the favor.

One time the manager called my parents (I was an idiot and put my real phone number on the reurn slip) and said, "Do you know your child has returned a number of games to us?" and the gig was up.

Soon after TRU said you had to be 16 to return anything ;([/QUOTE]
thats funny you say that, back in the day i used to return anything and everything. not a word said to me. probably just the TRU you went to

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Going from that post, it sounds like what you're doing is either "renting" games or copying them. I gather that from the sudden disappearance of the word "trade" from the questions.

If what you're doing is blatantly obvious, there's a damn good chance that they'll either link the person back to you somehow, or just ban them too.[/QUOTE]

im not doing either of that. i got dragon warrior vii from eb and turned out to be resurfaced, which i didnt see when i got home. poorly i might i add

...OP is either not telling the whole story, or the whole post is BS, and he just wants attention. Please people, be kind, give him the attention is so desires.

Curious why you haven't taken up the suggestion to just call corporate EB and raise a stink, if you really feel like you haven't done anything wrong that is.

[quote name='quartz']im not doing either of that. i got dragon warrior vii from eb and turned out to be resurfaced, which i didnt see when i got home. poorly i might i add[/QUOTE]
In response to myke's question as to why you were banned:

[quote name='quartz']probably trading in items since i traded alot of jampacks when they worked for extra $5 deal. but i dont understand why they banned me now, instead of banning me a month back or so. since the deal ended about 2 or 3 month ago right?[/QUOTE]

Those are not the same reasons. Something isn't adding up here. Returning one resurfaced game does not lead to a ban from all of the district's stores, and you haven't given any other reasons as to why you were banned.

I know that I wasn't the first to say that this seems off, but I'll be damned if I'm not having fun doing this. I think I almost know how Dave felt...

/emphasis added in edit

[quote name='JSK414']...OP is either not telling the whole story, or the whole post is BS, and he just wants attention. Please people, be kind, give him the attention is so desires.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking he's not telling the whole story. For a store to go so far as to ban him means he's abusing the trade-ins and/or returns.

Didn't a bunch of people get blacklisted online awhile ago? I forget why, but they were abusing some policy. Anybody remember? It was awhile ago...

[quote name='evilmax17']Didn't a bunch of people get blacklisted online awhile ago? I forget why, but they were abusing some policy. Anybody remember? It was awhile ago...[/QUOTE]
I don't think that an internet ban would apply to the B&M stores in his local district.

Unless I'm wrong, EB's stores aren't that closely linked to their website.

[quote name='vietgurl']We also banned someone who came in numerous times threatening us and tried to walk out with sealed games once (also called security on the lad).[/QUOTE]

Sealed games? EB doesn't have those. The second a new game comes in, it is opened and scrubbed down with a piece of steel wool. Then they try to sell it as new.

I think you're lying.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Sealed games? EB doesn't have those. The second a new game comes in, it is opened and scrubbed down with a piece of steel wool. Then they try to sell it as new.

I think you're lying.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. This post wins. Wins for the truth!

[quote name='MorPhiend']Sealed games? EB doesn't have those. The second a new game comes in, it is opened and scrubbed down with a piece of steel wool. Then they try to sell it as new.

I think you're lying.[/QUOTE]
He's got a point. I don't think I've ever gotten a sealed game from EB. :)

You should storm back into that EB and kick over the magazine rack and demand satisfaction. I have never seen a sealed game at EB. They always open it and take the discs out. Anti-theft measure I guess.

This sort of thing is the new trend in retail. Lots of places are simply declining to do business with you if you have too many returns. In their eyes, the company is saving money by NOT dealing with people who abuse return policies. I've never (until now) heard of a game store doing this, but its been the norm for stores like Express, Eddie Bauer, Macy's, and a few others for a year or two.

My guess is you returned games too many times. If it got the attention of the district manager, it was definitely too many. When I used to work retail, the DM only got involved with individual customers in the most extreme cases. Sounds like you're one of the "extreme."

[quote name='TravTH']Hmm, I always get sealed games, unless I buy used games. They have sealed games behind the counter[/QUOTE]

Not at my EB. Anytime I actually get exciting thinking the games sealed behind the counter the copy is either reshrinked or one of the million or so display copies. As for the OP, you probably have a reason for getting banned. Also for the OP, you go owned!

07-04-03_ownedCat.jpg

Its possible, Ive banned people from my store for similar reasons. Customer would buy a game, and return it the next day saying it didn't work. Each time, we would test it out on two of are systems, and it played fine. After 4-5 time of this, I told him his business was not wanted, and not to return. He bitched and wanted to speak to my DM, I gave him the #, and he never returned. Abusing are system and wasting time isn't worth it to keep a customer who maybe actually keeps a game or two.

I really don't think the OP is telling the truth. Either he was caught returning to many games, or something else is fishy... While he traded in a crapload of Jampacks a month ago, I don't see why a ban would happen now. Usually Loss Prevention would catch that within a day or two.

[quote name='JSK414']...OP is either not telling the whole story, or the whole post is BS, and he just wants attention. Please people, be kind, give him the attention is so desires.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like that's probable.
OP, you forgot to tell about how you broke bad on their asses and kicked over the magazine rack, told them they suck, and how it took 18 security guards to drag you away kicking and screaming, and don't forget how you became Retail Hero of the Day.

bread's done
Back